Panama
    Last Online

03.24.20 @ 08:57 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mean5150chas View Post
    RWTD sounds like a Van Halen cover band where the lead guitarist has spent years perfecting EVH's songs note for note. I couldn't even listen to an entire minute of Panama. Now I understand what everyone around here has been talking about when it comes to Dave's vocals.

I'd rather buy a DVD of Ed's Smithsonian appearance instead of this live album. Jeff, any chances of the VH Store selling that, LOL?
    Take a number . We're still waiting for The Wild Life originals to be released , along with a TON of other stuff
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - A very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

Today @ 06:38 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!75,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Going to reuse a quote I said concerning this release in response to Brett's comment.

Having a live VH album is like having sex with Kathleen Turner. Would be more iconic had it happened in 1985 than 2015

To be fair, I only listen to one live album> Ozzy's Tribute. Don't care for live albums at all. Prefer the studio versions of songs.

I don't think there is anything bad going on with the brothers and Dave. Rumors of a tour were leaking out awhile ago. I don't think Dave wanted to touch his vocals up. I think he is proud of his performance even with the screw ups. Its live. I just think this is the path of least resistance for a fractured band

Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

06.18.21 @ 09:18 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!50,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    This is really my last thought on this.

I like Wolf. I think he's talented, I think he's a great kid, and I think he has saved his father's life. I think great things about him, this has NOTHING to do with him.

I'm totally fine with him playing on all the new albums, and doing the tours. That's what VH is now. OK cool.

But to have a live album come out with ICONIC Van Halen music, music that is some of the most important rock ever recorded, and NOT have it done by the band that really did it, and in their prime makes NO sense to me. If you're going to put out an un-doctored version of live Van Halen, why this and not something from 30+ years ago? I don't want to hear Wolf singing "Runnin' With The Devil" live on an album, I want to hear Mike. I don't want to hear Dave squealing and struggling, I'd rather hear him half-ass the words and laughing through the songs. Seriously. It's a strange move, it doesn't make sense. Give Mike his share and move on and do it right. Geez.
    In an ideal world they would have done that already. They also would have never broke up in 1985, or 1995, or 96, or 98 (well that might stetching it, but you get the point), etc.

At this point, it would have looked worse to everyone if they released an old concert that doesn't represent where they are now and then went out to tour on top of it. Everyone would be calling them money grubbing whores for relying on past accomplishments and misrepresenting what they are today.

I agree that they should release that stuff some day for their legacy, but if we want the band to continue on, this concert is what we're going to get. Some might say they should hang it up then, and they could have a point, but for those that still want to see them without feeling like they are seeing a Branson-esque "Let Us Sing the Hits for You Old Bastards So You Can Remember What It's Like to Not Be an Old Bastard" type show, releasing current material--including live material--is really the most sensible option.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Take Your Whiskey Home

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

10.14.20 @ 09:57 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    VeteranMaster PraiserSupremely-Liked25,000 VHL Life Points

Wow. Well, I'm just now catching up on all this this morning.

Maybe it's because I'm a live album kind of guy but I guess I'm the only one actually liking it from only listening to RWTD so far. Now, when I say that, of course Dave sounds like "Dave" but in comparison to 95% of everything else I've heard from 2012-2013 this is about as good as they could have hoped for. Seriously. Like, they caught him on a good night relatively speaking. So I guess Dave is just a known quantity to me that I was already prepared for. Eddie and Alex sound great.

I mean, I get the complaints, Dave is older and Mike's not there. I get it. But these were known quantities before now. Knowing that, this is about as good as I could hope for. Again, that's after hearing most of one song one time. I'll go listen to some more now. But I HAVE heard most of the bootleg so I doubt anything Dave does will shock me.

The thing that still kills me though is that they didn't film this. You've got Eddie playing great and one of the most celebrated front men of all time in an era where almost ALL live show releases are filmed, and they don't. It just seems archaic because of that. But I'm excited to hear this.

No it won't sell much, most almost no live products do. Sadly.

Sinner's Swing!
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

02.24.16 @ 07:27 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

This is really my last thought on this.

I like Wolf. I think he's talented, I think he's a great kid, and I think he has saved his father's life. I think great things about him, this has NOTHING to do with him.

I'm totally fine with him playing on all the new albums, and doing the tours. That's what VH is now. OK cool.

But to have a live album come out with ICONIC Van Halen music, music that is some of the most important rock ever recorded, and NOT have it done by the band that really did it, and in their prime makes NO sense to me. If you're going to put out an un-doctored version of live Van Halen, why this and not something from 30+ years ago? I don't want to hear Wolf singing "Runnin' With The Devil" live on an album, I want to hear Mike. I don't want to hear Dave squealing and struggling, I'd rather hear him half-ass the words and laughing through the songs. Seriously. It's a strange move, it doesn't make sense. Give Mike his share and move on and do it right. Geez.
    Yep....they should do a KISSology.

Bullethead
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

06.18.21 @ 12:15 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    VHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

All evidence has shown that Eddie is not, in any way, a sentimental guy when it comes to the band and he has no sense that the history of the band is important. The reunion was driven by Wolfie as was the idea of a new album that brings them back to the CVH sound. That said, Wolfie may be the one that pushed the idea of releasing something live so dad and Uncle Al were happy to go along with it. They don't care that is it not representative of the best days of DLR and the brothers. It is the version of the band that exists and all that really matters to them at this time.

They are not comparing to their live shows in the 70s/80s because, to them those shows are irrelevant. For better or worse, this is the band and if they are going to release anything, it will be with this band. Former members are nowhere near their radar and if the hatred has died, they now look at them with complete indifference. I really think that people read much too much into all of this band's actions and maybe more importantly, their inactions.
    I'm not conceited. Conceit is a fault and I have no faults.
    - DLR

Bullethead
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

All
    Last Online

03.01.18 @ 09:52 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

I wish I wouldn't have to agree with some comments here, but I have to. Disappointed. Always supporting VH, but this time not.

At least if they have released a DVD of this, some off moments could have been saved by the visuals. But then again, who knows ...

The sound is so compressed that is horrible. Always blaming things on cell cameras and YouTube, I thought some things like AVH bass drums would sound big like ADKOT. Don't get EVH sound, but it's ok I guess. WVH sounds fine. But the overall sound is weak. I always thought that capturing VH was difficult; this shows that or is a mediocre attempt.

Know why DLR went dark. Did someone ever told him that his vocals were that bad. No wonder he's hiding. Wish he made a better effort considering this was going to be released ...

There's no denying this is mediocre. Sorry. It may have ended with ADKOT for me (love it!!!)
    under darken skies ... we'll see the light

Runnin' With The Devil
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL, ITO, SN, HB
    Last Online

06.18.21 @ 10:17 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Donor

Achievements:
    Well-LikedVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable50,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
    Wow. Well, I'm just now catching up on all this this morning.

Maybe it's because I'm a live album kind of guy but I guess I'm the only one actually liking it from only listening to RWTD so far. Now, when I say that, of course Dave sounds like "Dave" but in comparison to 95% of everything else I've heard from 2012-2013 this is about as good as they could have hoped for. Seriously. Like, they caught him on a good night relatively speaking. So I guess Dave is just a known quantity to me that I was already prepared for. Eddie and Alex sound great.

I mean, I get the complaints, Dave is older and Mike's not there. I get it. But these were known quantities before now. Knowing that, this is about as good as I could hope for. Again, that's after hearing most of one song one time. I'll go listen to some more now. But I HAVE heard most of the bootleg so I doubt anything Dave does will shock me.

The thing that still kills me though is that they didn't film this. You've got Eddie playing great and one of the most celebrated front men of all time in an era where almost ALL live show releases are filmed, and they don't. It just seems archaic because of that. But I'm excited to hear this.

No it won't sell much, most almost no live products do. Sadly.
    Well said...
    Rest in Peace Edward Van Halen

Sinner's Swing!
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

06.02.21 @ 10:26 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserWell-Liked5,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard

Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post
    In an ideal world they would have done that already. They also would have never broke up in 1985, or 1995, or 96, or 98 (well that might stetching it, but you get the point), etc.

At this point, it would have looked worse to everyone if they released an old concert that doesn't represent where they are now and then went out to tour on top of it. Everyone would be calling them money grubbing whores for relying on past accomplishments and misrepresenting what they are today.

I agree that they should release that stuff some day for their legacy, but if we want the band to continue on, this concert is what we're going to get. Some might say they should hang it up then, and they could have a point, but for those that still want to see them without feeling like they are seeing a Branson-esque "Let Us Sing the Hits for You Old Bastards So You Can Remember What It's Like to Not Be an Old Bastard" type show, releasing current material--including live material--is really the most sensible option.
    I agree, I just don't think Ed will release ANYTHING "new" for while that doesn't involve Wolf. (Re-releasing the six pack is fine because those are already out there, unless of course Wolf re-recorded the bass parts).

Maybe when the band is truly done and officially retired, we'll see some of the old stuff. But until then, I think if Wolf ain't on it, then it ain't coming out.

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for teacher
    Last Online

06.16.16 @ 05:14 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Panama View Post
    Well, it's a 2 disc set, so it only has to sell 250,000 copies to be certified Gold. Still, I think you're right.
    I didn't know that. Maybe they can get gold then. I just feel that with all of the negativity and people who pirate music nowadays, the sales are going to be thin. I'll buy it and love it. Heck, I have already listened to the 2 tracks quite a bit.
    "Give me somethin' to write on, man"

Take Your Whiskey Home

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by bjpack View Post
    All evidence has shown that Eddie is not, in any way, a sentimental guy when it comes to the band and he has no sense that the history of the band is important. The reunion was driven by Wolfie as was the idea of a new album that brings them back to the CVH sound. That said, Wolfie may be the one that pushed the idea of releasing something live so dad and Uncle Al were happy to go along with it. They don't care that is it not representative of the best days of DLR and the brothers. It is the version of the band that exists and all that really matters to them at this time.

They are not comparing to their live shows in the 70s/80s because, to them those shows are irrelevant. For better or worse, this is the band and if they are going to release anything, it will be with this band. Former members are nowhere near their radar and if the hatred has died, they now look at them with complete indifference. I really think that people read much too much into all of this band's actions and maybe more importantly, their inactions.
    I agree. Although, I DO think he has tremendous pride in his own personal contributions historically. That's always been clear right up through the Smithsonian talk. He's always pushed the "I did this, and it became the industry standard" and "then everybody started copying what I was doing", etc. Which is all true. I'm just saying I think he's very aware and proud of that. But the cultural impact of the band overall over time? I kind of think you're right. If he did at one time he probably hasn't in well over a decade. But who knows what's really in his head?

Take Your Whiskey Home

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by Dhull515 View Post
    I didn't know that. Maybe they can get gold then. I just feel that with all of the negativity and people who pirate music nowadays, the sales are going to be thin. I'll buy it and love it. Heck, I have already listened to the 2 tracks quite a bit.
    Selling 250,000 will be hard. Again, that's just a live album thing, not a slam against this one. And yes, the multi-disc thing is correct.

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

12.09.15 @ 09:35 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

RWTD is a bit plodding.

like Jogging With the Devil.

or Walking With the Devil

or Shuffling Around the House in Ozzy's Slippers With the Devil.

Take Your Whiskey Home

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by Vanhalen View Post
    I wish I wouldn't have to agree with some comments here, but I have to. Disappointed. Always supporting VH, but this time not.

At least if they have released a DVD of this, some off moments could have been saved by the visuals. But then again, who knows ...

The sound is so compressed that is horrible. Always blaming things on cell cameras and YouTube, I thought some things like AVH bass drums would sound big like ADKOT. Don't get EVH sound, but it's ok I guess. WVH sounds fine. But the overall sound is weak. I always thought that capturing VH was difficult; this shows that or is a mediocre attempt.

Know why DLR went dark. Did someone ever told him that his vocals were that bad. No wonder he's hiding. Wish he made a better effort considering this was going to be released ...

There's no denying this is mediocre. Sorry. It may have ended with ADKOT for me (love it!!!)
    I really doubt that. I'm sure Dave is ok with how he sounds. You've got to have an ego to be a frontman like he is. If he was that self-conscious he wouldn't go sing live in front of a large non-VH audience with the Foos surrounded by a bunch of other high profile guys.

Runnin' With The Devil

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Song

Secrets
    Last Online

06.05.21 @ 09:40 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

I don't know. Obviously I'm buying it for completist sakes, but wow it's just not good. Couldn't they have given Mike his cut and just released something from 1978-1984? I'd rather hear any of that with all the flaws than this. Sorry guys I just don't get this move.
    I'm with you Brett. Part of me wants to buy it for the sake of it. But then I listen to those clips and cringe. I think when in the world would I ever listen to this? The only answer I can come up with is ....never.
    Help a fellow fan out, watch my latest short film:
    https://amzn.to/2v4vZow