Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Donor

Achievements:
    Supremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!50,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi McFly View Post
    With these guys you never know. Somebody screwed up recording a new album in the past 12 months. Ed could've been lying through his teeth at the Smithsonian about wanting to record new music, but it's Dave's sites and social media that went blank. That to me seems like Dave's protest.

That's just speculation, of course. All I know is that there's a new VH release to be celebrated, shoddy vocals or not. And if they tour I'll be there. You never know when our last opportunity to see these guys live will be.
    Still not following you.

Are you saying that perhaps the band came to Dave and suggested "touching up" the vocals and he said, " Don't you touch them."

or

That Dave suggested touching them up and the band said no?
    Utilize. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

I love coffee and sarcasm.

RJD \m/

Sig Pic courtesy of Greenpaw

Little Dreamer

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:30 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

I will also buy this to "have everything VH". However, I'll probably only listen to it once and be done. I know this doesn't apply to the average fan, but I would have paid $100 for a CD of Ed and Al jamming, over this mess.

Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

06.18.21 @ 03:11 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-Liked50,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

listened to the 2 tunes again and my feelings are the same. Guitar is waaay out front but aside from that the mix IMHO is terrible. I like stuff to be clear, I want to be able to hear the other instruments effortlessly, I don't like to have to struggle to find the drums.

Dave's vocals are....well, lets just say I wish he had redone them. He just sounds strained at times, he's out of step at times and he's really the weak link here.

I feel bad for Dave, he finally got back in VH, he's gotten to work on 1 record and if you believe what he said a couple of years ago he still hasn't actually written a song with Ed in 20 years then they chose to release something he sounds very weak on.

careful what you wish for I guess.....

Sinner's Swing!
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

06.02.21 @ 10:26 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserWell-Liked5,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard

Somebody mentioned in one of the other threads that because music releases are going to shift from Tuesdays in the US to Fridays sometime this year, Amazon was showing a new release date of March 27 for the Live Album and the remasters. Then it was mentioned that for the Deluxe CD set only, the release date was now April 14 (a Tuesday).

I can confirm that Amazon is now showing April 14 for the Deluxe CD set only, but for everything else (individual CD releases, and the individual and Deluxe LP releases) it's still showing the 31st. (iTunes is still showing the 31st as well).

Regarding the Deluxe CD set, I'm wondering if Jeff has heard about a delay of the Deluxe CD box and whether VH Store orders be affected?

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for teacher
    Last Online

06.16.16 @ 05:14 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by theNine5150 View Post
    Same here. I will now buy it, but really struggle with the intent.

I'm thinking the Tokyo live was Dave's input. He wants to memorize his place and have a live show from his new home. I can understand the thought. Execution sucks, but I get it.

I think the brothers bought in when they saw an easy cash grab on the re released Dave era albums.. And a small summer tour = $$$

As previously mentioned, I agree it will go the path of III... will actually sell less..
    II went gold, correct? I feel like this album will have a hard time getting close to the gold mark. It already has tons of people hating on Dave.
    "Give me somethin' to write on, man"

Emperor of VHLinks.com
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Today @ 05:12 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Pic PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily Poster350,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

This is really my last thought on this.

I like Wolf. I think he's talented, I think he's a great kid, and I think he has saved his father's life. I think great things about him, this has NOTHING to do with him.

I'm totally fine with him playing on all the new albums, and doing the tours. That's what VH is now. OK cool.

But to have a live album come out with ICONIC Van Halen music, music that is some of the most important rock ever recorded, and NOT have it done by the band that really did it, and in their prime makes NO sense to me. If you're going to put out an un-doctored version of live Van Halen, why this and not something from 30+ years ago? I don't want to hear Wolf singing "Runnin' With The Devil" live on an album, I want to hear Mike. I don't want to hear Dave squealing and struggling, I'd rather hear him half-ass the words and laughing through the songs. Seriously. It's a strange move, it doesn't make sense. Give Mike his share and move on and do it right. Geez.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - The Internet's Largest Van Halen Fan Forum
    http://www.vhlinks.com

Check Out My YouTube Guitar Videos!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar
    Direct Link To Subscribe To My Channel!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar?sub_confirmation=1

Join the VHLinks Facebook Group!

Forum Frontman
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 11:15 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Donor

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable75,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by hagarfn View Post
    Still not following you.

Are you saying that perhaps the band came to Dave and suggested "touching up" the vocals and he said, " Don't you touch them."

or

That Dave suggested touching them up and the band said no?
    Here's what I'm suggesting...Keep in mind this is all just a bad daytime soap opera I've played out in my head.

1) VH convenes to begin working on/recording a new album in early 2014. This was reported via multiple rumors.
    2) VH commits to album release w/ label.
    3) Something happens to drive an issue between the VH clan and Dave. Maybe DLR wants one last go round with Mikey (based on his then-recent interview citing Mike as one of the best high tenor voices), Ed wants to keep VH Mark 4 rolling?
    4) Dave doesn't get his way so he makes like Cartman: "Screw you guys, I'm going home." The bros and Dave stop talking.
    5) VH have to release something, so they say "Fine, screw you Dave, here's the live Tokyo album with your untouched vocals." Bootlegs from 2012 soundchecks had Ed referencing that they'd be doing tunes like As Is and LUTS if it weren't for Dave. Ed's unhappy with Dave's performance and is only tolerating him because he knows he's the only option he's got.
    6) Dave's pissed, goes dark on social media.
    7) At the Smithsonian Ed mentions wanting to record new music, but having no idea where Dave is. Effectively throwing Dave under the bus for not producing a new album.

And here we are now. Of course this is just wild speculation, things could be roses and daisies in VH land and everybody could be fine with the vocals on this disc. But to me it seems like such an odd move that there has to be some tension or strain driving it.
    Last edited by Jedi McFly; 03.03.15 at 07:46 AM.

Runnin' With The Devil
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

VH, VH2, FW, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Big River, Little Guitars
    Last Online

06.04.21 @ 04:13 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    15,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

What a crappy mix. Hearing so much bass in a VH song is weird. Bring the bass down and the drums up, I say.

This, IMO, won't be seen as a highlight of VH's catalogue. I'm one of the few to mostly dig Dave's melodic variations, but there are notes from this concert that should have been fixed. 90% could have remained, but there's no shame in fixing things that NEED it.

Releasing this is baffling. It really is.
    Waylon Jennings: 1937-2002.
    Ultimate Warrior: 1959-2014.
    Edward Van Halen: 1955-2020.

"There ain't nothin' quite as sad as watching your heroes die."

Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

06.18.21 @ 09:18 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!50,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Punch View Post
    Man this album is a bad idea, any way you slice it. It's why Dave is hiding out, or not being a team member, he was not on board for this and I have to agree. This shows you what happens to an uncompromising band compromises their collective integrity.
    Even the artwork is blah.
    Dave is involved. He likely selected the piece of art to go on the cover, which is consistent with ADKOT.

Do people really care about the artwork, anyway? What's the problem exactly, that they didn't design it themselves? They didn't design the Fair Warning album cover either, it's just ripped off from a painting. Diver Down is the most boring album artwork in VH history. It never stopped us from buying those, though, did it?

Personally, once I open a CD I'll glance at the packaging, but after the first listen I toss it somewhere likely to never be seen again and put the discs in my CD Folder. That even seems quaint compared to most people my age that wouldn't consider buying physical media to begin with.

These days, the album cover is barely more than a thumbnail on iTunes, so pouring blood, sweat, tears, and money into it is pretty pointless.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Big Bad Bill
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

All of em
    Favorite VH Song

All of em
    Last Online

06.14.21 @ 04:33 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    VHLinks Proud!15,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

I have to agree with what Brett and many others have said previously. I just don't get the point of releasing this. Dave sounds like shit. There is no way they don't know this. It makes me wonder if they were working on something else and it was aborted for this. If this is not the case, and this is what they think is good now, so be it. It is just hard for me to accept that angle. Not with the level of talent that still remains with most of them. I'll be buying the live album but i just dont know man...
    WHOAOH! Hey you! Who said that? Baby how you been?

Hot For Teacher

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning/ 5150
    Favorite VH Song

happy trails/ dreams
    Last Online

01.11.21 @ 05:47 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Donor

Achievements:
    Supremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!50,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi McFly View Post
    Here's what I'm suggesting...Keep in mind this is all just a bad daytime soap opera I've played out in my head.

1) VH convenes to begin working on/recording a new album in early 2014. This was reported via multiple rumors.
    2) VH commits to album release w/ label.
    3) Something happens to drive an issue between the VH clan and Dave. Maybe DLR wants one last go round with Mikey (based on his then-recent interview citing Mike as one of the best high tenor voices), Ed wants to keep VH Mark 4 rolling?
    4) Dave doesn't get his way so he makes like Cartman: "Screw you guys, I'm going home." The bros and Dave stop talking.
    5) VH have to release something, so they say "Fine, screw you Dave, here's the live Tokyo album with your untouched vocals." Bootlegs from 2012 soundchecks had Ed referencing that they'd be doing tunes like As Is and LUTS if it weren't for Dave. Ed's unhappy with Dave's performance and is only tolerating him because he knows he's the only option he's got.
    6) Dave's pissed, goes dark on social media.
    7) At the Smithsonian Ed mentions wanting to record new music, but having no idea where Dave is.

And here we are now. Of course this is just wild speculation, things could be roses and daisies in VH land and everybody could be fine with the vocals on this disc. But to me it seems like such an odd move that there has to be some tension or strain driving it.
    Gotcha.

And sense we are just speculating...what a shitty thing number (5) would be to do.
    Utilize. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

I love coffee and sarcasm.

RJD \m/

Sig Pic courtesy of Greenpaw

Light Up The Sky

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

03.24.20 @ 08:57 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    This is really my last thought on this.

I like Wolf. I think he's talented, I think he's a great kid, and I think he has saved his father's life. I think great things about him, this has NOTHING to do with him.

I'm totally fine with him playing on all the new albums, and doing the tours. That's what VH is now. OK cool.

But to have a live album come out with ICONIC Van Halen music, music that is some of the most important rock ever recorded, and NOT have it done by the band that really did it, and in their prime makes NO sense to me. If you're going to put out an un-doctored version of live Van Halen, why this and not something from 30+ years ago? I don't want to hear Wolf singing "Runnin' With The Devil" live on an album, I want to hear Mike. I don't want to hear Dave squealing and struggling, I'd rather hear him half-ass the words and laughing through the songs. Seriously. It's a strange move, it doesn't make sense. Give Mike his share and move on and do it right. Geez.
    Right on .
    I've always said that a live album w/Dave would've been perfect after the 1984 tour . Reminds me of that Ali/Frazier documentary - When We Were Kings ...
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - A very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Sinner's Swing!
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Punch View Post
    Man this album is a bad idea, any way you slice it. It's why Dave is hiding out, or not being a team member, he was not on board for this and I have to agree. This shows you what happens to an uncompromising band compromises their collective integrity.
    Even the artwork is blah.
    See, this whole thing screams "Dave's Idea" to me. Being that it's the Tokyo show, the vocals are untouched, He hinted to it in his Christmas Roth Show podcast (ship, flag, etc)., and given that Dave does all the artwork for the band's releases, I honestly think this whole thing is Dave's brainchild from top to bottom.

Bullethead

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

10.31.20 @ 01:42 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    15,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

RWTD sounds like a Van Halen cover band where the lead guitarist has spent years perfecting EVH's songs note for note. I couldn't even listen to an entire minute of Panama. Now I understand what everyone around here has been talking about when it comes to Dave's vocals.

I'd rather buy a DVD of Ed's Smithsonian appearance instead of this live album. Jeff, any chances of the VH Store selling that, LOL?

Sinner's Swing!
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by Dhull515 View Post
    II went gold, correct? I feel like this album will have a hard time getting close to the gold mark. It already has tons of people hating on Dave.
    Well, it's a 2 disc set, so it only has to sell 250,000 copies to be certified Gold. Still, I think you're right.