The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 06:47 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable250,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The Energizer Bunny

Neither one of them ever gets a spin, RHRN, or Tokyo Dome. They are both ridiculous releases, for different reasons.

If that makes me less of a fan, so be it.
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 07:33 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da RoundtableSupremely-Liked50,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    Neither one of them ever gets a spin, RHRN, or Tokyo Dome. They are both ridiculous releases, for different reasons.

If that makes me less of a fan, so be it.
    But that's my point. We don't have to be less of a fan to be critical of a VH official release.

I still occasionally listen to TD, there's a great string of tunes on the 2nd disc. But, my God, they couldn't give a listen to a few other shows and pick one a little more deserving. 2007-08 perhaps!

I just think it's funny that Ed said they made some old live show tapes sound better but they still weren't good enough to release and then they go ahead and put out TD as is.

3. Dave's Dreidel Liked This Post
    Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da RoundtableSupremely-Liked50,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by Ashe View Post
    Yeah, I get it. I don't think either of those live albums are perfect, but live albums are never perfect--I think that's part of the deal. Personally, I'd lean towards keeping the mistakes in there rather than trying to polish it up. Otherwise, just listen to the studio recordings. Even Live Without a Net, which--correct me if I'm wrong--a lot of people here seem to like, was heavily edited too. I can't tell you how many people I've spoken to at concerts where they say, "Man, why don't they just sell the soundboard recordings of each show on the tour? Just burn it on a CD-R! I would buy all of them!" Well, if they did that, you would hear a very rough show, and I just know people would complain about that too.

I don't know, I saw them on the 2012 tour and well, they sounded pretty much like they did on Tokyo Dome. The weak link was Dave, but whatever.

And Jimmy Page is notorious for messing around with the live Zeppelin stuff.
    Agreed, those live albums are FAR from perfect. We basically got a bootleg with a CD case and booklet.

I think people would understand the less than stellar productions if they were sold soundboard recordings at concerts. TD was an official release that was mixed by Bob Clearmountain--not exactly an amateur in his job. I still wonder what he did exactly on this project, however.

Yes, Jimmy Page has messed around with a lot of Zeppelin live stuff. Bless him for it. They sound fucking great! And he's messing around with concerts from the 1970's, not 2012.

Eruption

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

dreams
    Last Online

06.17.21 @ 12:07 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    VHLinks Proud!15,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da RoundtableWell-Liked

A couple of years ago, my paralegal gave me a $50 iTunes card for Christmas. I put it to good use by purchasing something called "Van Halen--The Collection." It consists of (all mastered for iTunes) the 6 -pack, the 2 '96 songs with DLR, and "Tokyo Dome." Once, when I had to take a long drive, I just set all the songs on my phone to play in alphabetical order. I tell this story because doing this causes ATBL (the studio version) to segue into ATBL--Tokyo Dome. Listening to a "Tokyo Dome" track immediately after the legendary studio version reveals an undeniable truth. "Tokyo Dome" is a dreadful live album by one of the greatest live rock bands in history. If you conclude otherwise, you're kidding yourself.

The Full Bug

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Today @ 12:29 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Well-Liked15,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

Quote Originally Posted by dart93 View Post
    A couple of years ago, my paralegal gave me a $50 iTunes card for Christmas. I put it to good use by purchasing something called "Van Halen--The Collection." It consists of (all mastered for iTunes) the 6 -pack, the 2 '96 songs with DLR, and "Tokyo Dome." Once, when I had to take a long drive, I just set all the songs on my phone to play in alphabetical order. I tell this story because doing this causes ATBL (the studio version) to segue into ATBL--Tokyo Dome. Listening to a "Tokyo Dome" track immediately after the legendary studio version reveals an undeniable truth. "Tokyo Dome" is a dreadful live album by one of the greatest live rock bands in history. If you conclude otherwise, you're kidding yourself.
    I think I just manage my expectations regarding a lot of this stuff. The studio version of Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love was recorded by 4 young guys in their 20s and their only goal in life at that time was setting the world on fire and laying waste to anyone who got in their way. The Tokyo Dome version was a kid on his second tour, and 3 guys pushing 60 who have played that song thousands of times and spent 40 years drinking hard, doing drugs, chain-smoking, getting hip replacements, and who knows what else. Its just not going to be the same. I thought Eddie was pretty good all things considered. I was happy they were able to stand up. LOL.

I don't listen to it often either. But its fine.
    Leave everything to me!-Powdered Toast Man

7. 95Crash Liked This Post
    Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Funny thing is, I thought ATBL was one of the highlights of Tokyo Dome.

It sounds good; the breakdown is cool and features a little funny fuck-up that Dave laughs at; it's got that epic VH ending! And no spoken Japanese by Dave. LOL