06.26.21 @ 11:15 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!15,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard

Quote Originally Posted by tommytom11 View Post
    the source is me. saw personally on 3 occasions. just a tad above 3. even a sharpie mark on the face plate of amp where to set. FWIW.
    Ok I guess if you could somehow see his offstage rack with the live heads he's using. The ones on top of his speaker cabs are for show regardless of what they're set at. After the concert is over, the roadies drop those into their flight cases without a care in the world.

Runnin' With The Devil

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

10.10.21 @ 10:53 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Well-Liked25,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

Quote Originally Posted by Fontcow View Post
    That video also unequivocally confirms the 25-song setlist.
    12 hours and we're off again, don't forget an Osaka thread! :-)

Runnin' With The Devil

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

06.30.17 @ 01:26 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by donkost View Post
    Ok I guess if you could somehow see his offstage rack with the live heads he's using. The ones on top of his speaker cabs are for show regardless of what they're set at. After the concert is over, the roadies drop those into their flight cases without a care in the world.
    i am talking about his main head in his rack in the guitar pit. of course the ones on stage are for looks only. i really don't care if you choose to question my providing something truthful. i posted his entire settings in the guitar forum. i was only trying to add something that i knew in response to that earlier poster.

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad, Hang 'em High
    Last Online

10.18.21 @ 12:21 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable50,000 VHL Life Points

I may be in the minority here, but I just find it so odd that someone would pay all that money just to sit/stand in the front row and film the entire show on their smart phone. Live your life, enjoy the live show. To paraphrase Louis CK, "Eddie Van Halen is right there in front of you in person! In HD! Put down your fucking phone!"

Big Bad Bill
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained..
    Last Online

Today @ 12:30 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserWell-Liked15,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Quote Originally Posted by Reckless Fable View Post
    I may be in the minority here, but I just find it so odd that someone would pay all that money just to sit/stand in the front row and film the entire show on their smart phone. Live your life, enjoy the live show. To paraphrase Louis CK, "Eddie Van Halen is right there in front of you in person! In HD! Put down your fucking phone!"
    I understand that line of thinking, but I'm so glad they did.
    ...Zero Discipline

Baluchitherium
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

10.25.21 @ 10:18 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!100,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard
    Awards:
    The Energizer Bunny

I think there is a happy medium for both enjoying and filming. I'm one of those people who don't want to leave it to memory what I witnessed. Bands like VH charge an arm and a leg these days and it's nice that one can film bits and pieces of a show. We could never do that in the old days without fear of being booted out. For me, I would film the opening, Ed's solo, and the finale. Id be good with that for posterity.

Runnin' With The Devil
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

06.26.21 @ 11:15 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!15,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard

Quote Originally Posted by tommytom11 View Post
    i am talking about his main head in his rack in the guitar pit. of course the ones on stage are for looks only. i really don't care if you choose to question my providing something truthful. i posted his entire settings in the guitar forum. i was only trying to add something that i knew in response to that earlier poster.
    Ok sounds good, no harm no foul. Just checking because I heard a number of people who were impressed with what they thought was Ed's rig as we were leaving the shows in '07, '08, and '12. As if any guitarist could stand in front of ten 4 X 12 cabs being driven by ten 5150 III heads that were cranked. I'd think his stage volume is derived from the H&H power amps though rather than the MV settings on his main 5150 III (saw those over at premierguitar.com). Read stories that Ed was a wildman with stage volume and that was one of the reasons the sound guys couldn't get a good overall mix in certain arenas.

I do know that the instruments are much more thunderous and overpowering in the mix (in a good way IMO) when you are sitting in the first few rows. The youtube vids with vocals standing out in the mix sound nothing at all like sitting in the first few rows. I never noticed any of Dave's perceived shortcomings while sitting up close. Heck, I barely even noticed his tinkering with the vocal melody of DTNA. ha

Runnin' With The Devil

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

06.30.17 @ 01:26 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by donkost View Post
    Ok sounds good, no harm no foul. Just checking because I heard a number of people who were impressed with what they thought was Ed's rig as we were leaving the shows in '07, '08, and '12. As if any guitarist could stand in front of ten 4 X 12 cabs being driven by ten 5150 III heads that were cranked. I'd think his stage volume is derived from the H&H power amps though rather than the MV settings on his main 5150 III (saw those over at premierguitar.com). Read stories that Ed was a wildman with stage volume and that was one of the reasons the sound guys couldn't get a good overall mix in certain arenas.

I do know that the instruments are much more thunderous and overpowering in the mix (in a good way IMO) when you are sitting in the first few rows. The youtube vids with vocals standing out in the mix sound nothing at all like sitting in the first few rows. I never noticed any of Dave's perceived shortcomings while sitting up close. Heck, I barely even noticed his tinkering with the vocal melody of DTNA. ha

cool. head goes directly to center cab and HH to left and right. consistent volume in all 3 cabs. there are extra monitors for him too so he can hear himself fine. i think he has cooled that volume thing a bit after getting away from the marshalls. its not like a 5150III on 3+ and an HH to match it with 3 cabs is quiet. been right there, its plenty loud.

Sinner's Swing!

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

VH 1 & 1984 & ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

In a simple rhyme
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 05:06 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserWell-LikedKnight Of Da Roundtable25,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by Fontcow View Post
    That video also unequivocally confirms the 25-song setlist.

Wait! What about those live hidden bonus tracks? haha.

Glad that's all solved.. and I wasn't losing me marbles.

Cheers guys... that video is quite a good representation of everything magical from that night...

Thanks for sharing.

mrC ('',)/
    *Follow my ubiquitous audio/video/composing/production mishaps, with & without The OBViOUS ... often resulting in hilarious musical consequnces:

http://www.facebook.com/mrChristopherTV
    http://www.facebook.com/theobviouscom

٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶

Light Up The Sky
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

Today @ 02:28 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!75,000 VHL Life PointsThee King50,000 VHL Life Points

If someone wants to do it, I'm all for it.......but I'm watching it in person!!
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Sinner's Swing!

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

VH 1 & 1984 & ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

In a simple rhyme
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Who knows... he may have been wearing Google Glass.

(O=O)

mrC.
    *Follow my ubiquitous audio/video/composing/production mishaps, with & without The OBViOUS ... often resulting in hilarious musical consequnces:

٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶

Big Bad Bill
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Women And Children First
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

07.02.18 @ 12:15 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MF5150 View Post
    The band sounds like they're smoking.

But I'm not getting all the love for Dave in these two performances. I've watched a few videos and he sounds abysmal.
    Totally agree with ya. He needs to go back and listen to how he sang the songs on record. I don't expect his vocals to be as strong as they once were, but at least sing them in the correct range. He keeps venturing off into uncharted upper territory for some strange reason. Putting in yelps here and there where there was none before too. He's emasculating the songs he created imo. Not that crazy about his presentation of them either. It's like he's auditioning for a Broadway play at times. Where's the old badass DLR?

C'mon Dave give me a break!

Soclal Media Manager
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 06:18 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable250,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MAP (Most Active Poster)

The old badass DLR turned 57, had a bunch of back, knee and shoulder surgeries, and is no longer jacked up on coke when he hits the stage.

But besides that, nothings changed!

Just curious, I have read 50,000 people at this show, can that be accurate? I would have never thought VH could pull that many people anywhere, but especially Japan where they haven't been in 24 years.
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

Hang 'Em High

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 08:10 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserVHLinks Proud!75,000 VHL Life PointsThee KingSupremely-Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    The old badass DLR turned 57, had a bunch of back, knee and shoulder surgeries, and is no longer jacked up on coke when he hits the stage.

But besides that, nothings changed!

Just curious, I have read 50,000 people at this show, can that be accurate? I would have never thought VH could pull that many people anywhere, but especially Japan where they haven't been in 24 years.
    they swung by japan in '98
    "you can't change JMJ, it's legendary"- Brett Norton 9/24/07

"It's the "JMJ" everyone had grown to love, man! Time to blow the roof off this place!"
    -Zachenfoot 2/23/10

"The links just look a little better with JMJ. Always has, always will." -Hurricane Halen 2/24/10

"I'm doin' the victory dance. Told ya I'd be back. Tell me ya missed me. Say it like ya mean it" - Blood and Fire. =VH= 2012. Welcome back boys

"I don't give a flying fuck about Motley Crue. I give about a half a fuck about Rush. I like Van Halen and don't give a flying fuck how many tickets they all sell. Any questions?"- jimmyw

Sinner's Swing!

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

VH 1 & 1984 & ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

In a simple rhyme
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post

Good question... I wondered the same thing.

According to Wikipedia:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokyo_Dome

Tokyo Dome's capacity is 55,000 (I'm guessing for seats in the actual arena, and then drops down to 42,000 for when the floor is occupied by the baseball field, but being viewed by all sides (if I'm understanding that page correctly. Anyone confirm this?)

(I was interested to read that Michael Jackson sold out 9 shows there on December 9, 10 & 11; 17, 18 & 19; and 24, 25 & 26, 1988, during his Bad World Tour. So VH isn't quite up at that level of sales in Japan.)

To be clear, I haven't seen any official figures for 6/21's Van Halen's show... but when I walked through the dome (during Panama) ... I didn't see any empty seats except for those taped off as not being able to see the stage.

Btw, this was a photo I took (which was used by vhnd) which shows it the way it was: packed.

I think I also did a full 360 degree sweep of the audience during "Everybody Wants Some". You can see that video on my Facebook page here:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...97903919833636

I do hope we get to hear a more accurate head-count.

That said... Dave's been promoting on TV and radio here. UDO promoted the show twice due to the rescheduling from last November. VH is well know here especially with the Generation X-ers.. and they are the one's who have the cash to pay for the "classic rock" act inflated ticket prices. '-)

Lastly, as JMJ just said above, VH did come through Japan last in 1998. which included some Eddie & Gary Cherone playing "Josephina" on TV.

... but that's another story.

Cheers,
    mrC

٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶