Michael Anthony Talks Van Halen in New Interview
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23
  1. #1
    . . .
    Number 47's Avatar
    Join Date
    10.08.06
    Posts
    53,334
    Posts Per Day
    9.71
    Last Online

    Today @ 11:48 AM
    Likes (Given)
    1040
    Likes (Received)
    3039
    Thanks (Given)
    2544
    Thanks (Received)
    11834


    Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Pic PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable250,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The Keyboard Warrior

    Michael Anthony Talks Van Halen in New Interview

    Gonna repost this here since the other thread has been shut down. Not to start more arguments, but because the other closed thread will soon drop out of sight.

    For those that may have missed it in VH Main...

    Michael Anthony Talks Van Halen in New Interview

    http://www.vhnd.com/2012/05/23/micha...new-interview/

  2. #2
    The Full Bug

    Join Date
    10.12.09
    Posts
    1,872
    Posts Per Day
    0.43
    Last Online

    05.15.16 @ 10:48 PM
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    58

    Default

    Brett hates Wolfgang Van Halen.

    Thought I'd cut to the chase.

  3. #3
    The Full Bug
    ignorance_is_bliss's Avatar
    Join Date
    04.26.10
    Age
    36
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    2,008
    Posts Per Day
    0.48
    Favorite VH Album

    Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

    TIE! Humans Being and HAIL
    Last Online

    03.12.21 @ 08:35 AM
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    13

    Achievements:
    VHLinks Proud!5,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard

    Default

    And ToddE moves all in! What a play!

  4. #4
    Little Dreamer
    SheWiseMagic's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.26.12
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    9
    Posts Per Day
    0.00
    Favorite VH Album

    VH2
    Favorite VH Song

    Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

    08.11.12 @ 09:45 AM
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    0

    Default

    I adore Michael Anthony and it would have been my dream come true for the entire band to be reunited. But things happen, and it sounds like Mike is in a good place with it all. Therefore, how can I really bitch and moan over it?
    "In what twisted universe does mastering Eddie Van Halen's two handed arpeggio technique count as ABSOLUTELY NOTHING?!"

  5. #5
    Forum Frontman
    fudd's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.22.08
    Age
    42
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    21,469
    Posts Per Day
    4.30
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

    HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

    @
    Likes (Given)
    124
    Likes (Received)
    2277
    Thanks (Given)
    1404
    Thanks (Received)
    8511


    Donor

    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard150,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    Downloader Supreme

    Default

    You know I thought about Mikey the other day and I got mad. Mike stood by the brothers in everything and they kicked him out? After Dave, Sammy and Gary and his loyalty to the brothers they kicked him out? Thats as fucked up as it gets. I'm somewhat of an Eddie apologist and that for some odd reason just pissed me off.

  6. #6
    The Full Bug

    Join Date
    02.17.00
    Posts
    1,880
    Posts Per Day
    0.24
    Last Online

    Yesterday @ 03:52 PM
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    90
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    102

    Achievements:
    Well-Liked15,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fuddman5150 View Post
    You know I thought about Mikey the other day and I got mad. Mike stood by the brothers in everything and they kicked him out? After Dave, Sammy and Gary and his loyalty to the brothers they kicked him out? Thats as fucked up as it gets. I'm somewhat of an Eddie apologist and that for some odd reason just pissed me off.
    That's just it though, touring and playing with Sammy was viewed by them as NOT being loyal. Keep in mind that at the time Sammy was still enemy number one. I'm not saying I agree with their viewpoint, but that's most likely how they viewed the whole affair and that's why he got the boot. Had he played and toured with anyone else, he may well still be in the band.
    "People say Cream gave birth to Heavy Metal," says Baker. "If that's so, we should have had an abortion."

  7. #7
    Big Bad Bill

    Join Date
    11.09.00
    Age
    50
    Location
    Atlanta, GA USA
    Posts
    1,010
    Posts Per Day
    0.13
    Favorite VH Album

    A Different Kind of Truth
    Favorite VH Song

    Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

    01.13.16 @ 05:43 PM
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    1

    Default

    I remember the slow years where *nothing* was happening after VHIII, and don't fault Mike for wanting to get out and play. As far as anyone knew, except for rumors, the band was done.
    Staying Frosty

  8. #8
    Runnin' With The Devil

    Join Date
    01.03.12
    Age
    51
    Location
    Does it really matter?
    Posts
    1,379
    Posts Per Day
    0.39
    Favorite VH Album

    Back to ADKT - Cuz it is new
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained
    Last Online

    12.17.19 @ 02:14 PM
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0
    Thanks (Given)
    55
    Thanks (Received)
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Number 47 View Post
    Gonna repost this here since the other thread has been shut down. Not to start more arguments, but because the other closed thread will soon drop out of sight.

    For those that may have missed it in VH Main...

    Michael Anthony Talks Van Halen in New Interview

    http://www.vhnd.com/2012/05/23/micha...new-interview/
    Mike is still a class act in my book. Gotta love the way he has consistently handled this time and time again
    It is what it is

    I won't insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said

    I could tell that my parents hated me. My bath toys were a toaster and a radio.

  9. #9
    Runnin' With The Devil

    Join Date
    01.03.12
    Age
    51
    Location
    Does it really matter?
    Posts
    1,379
    Posts Per Day
    0.39
    Favorite VH Album

    Back to ADKT - Cuz it is new
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained
    Last Online

    12.17.19 @ 02:14 PM
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0
    Thanks (Given)
    55
    Thanks (Received)
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Burning Tires View Post
    I remember the slow years where *nothing* was happening after VHIII, and don't fault Mike for wanting to get out and play. As far as anyone knew, except for rumors, the band was done.
    Not to mention that Mike was not ready to wait for EVH either. I do not think I could have, especially things kept getting stagnant

    Thankfully I caught the 2004 tour and got to meet him and Sammy backstage prior to the show. Cool guys
    It is what it is

    I won't insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said

    I could tell that my parents hated me. My bath toys were a toaster and a radio.

  10. #10
    Top Of The World

    Join Date
    06.21.01
    Posts
    3,558
    Posts Per Day
    0.48
    Last Online

    10.10.20 @ 11:36 AM
    Likes (Given)
    2
    Likes (Received)
    8
    Thanks (Given)
    201
    Thanks (Received)
    244

    Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!50,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chain View Post
    That's just it though, touring and playing with Sammy was viewed by them as NOT being loyal. Keep in mind that at the time Sammy was still enemy number one. I'm not saying I agree with their viewpoint, but that's most likely how they viewed the whole affair and that's why he got the boot. Had he played and toured with anyone else, he may well still be in the band.
    Playing with Sammy didn't help but it isn't the primary reason Mike isn't in Van Halen. With Wolfgang growing older and becoming a musician himself it was inescapable he would be in Van Halen. I don't think it matters what Mike did or has done—or who was playing bass for that matter. When it came time for Ed having the desire to play with his son, nothing else mattered and it was inevitable for Wolfgang to be ushered into the band. Mike playing with Sammy is just the perfect scapegoat/alibi rationalization for Ed.

  11. #11
    Forum Frontman
    fudd's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.22.08
    Age
    42
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    21,469
    Posts Per Day
    4.30
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

    HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

    @
    Likes (Given)
    124
    Likes (Received)
    2277
    Thanks (Given)
    1404
    Thanks (Received)
    8511


    Donor

    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard150,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    Downloader Supreme

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fontcow View Post
    Playing with Sammy didn't help but it isn't the primary reason Mike isn't in Van Halen. With Wolfgang growing older and becoming a musician himself it was inescapable he would be in Van Halen. I don't think it matters what Mike did or has done—or who was playing bass for that matter. When it came time for Ed having the desire to play with his son, nothing else mattered and it was inevitable for Wolfgang to be ushered into the band. Mike playing with Sammy is just the perfect scapegoat/alibi rationalization for Ed.
    I agree but why did Ed go apeshit in 2004 then? Wolfie couldn't go on stage yet? I understand the enevitability of Wolfie but what about 2004?

  12. #12
    Top Of The World

    Join Date
    06.21.01
    Posts
    3,558
    Posts Per Day
    0.48
    Last Online

    10.10.20 @ 11:36 AM
    Likes (Given)
    2
    Likes (Received)
    8
    Thanks (Given)
    201
    Thanks (Received)
    244

    Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!50,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fuddman5150 View Post
    I agree but why did Ed go apeshit in 2004 then? Wolfie couldn't go on stage yet? I understand the enevitability of Wolfie but what about 2004?
    The answers to why Ed went apeshit in 2004 are innumerable. However, I think the one that tops the list is found at the bottom of a bottle of Smoking Loon. It's sad but probably as close to the truth of understanding that era of the band as we'll ever get. Because the one thing about 2004 that doesn't make any sense is that if Ed didn't want Mike playing on the recordings or the tour because he played with Sammy—then why was Sammy getting a pass? It made no sense not wanting Mike playing a Van Halen reunion with Sammy because he played with Sammy. Read that sentence again and tell me if it makes any sense to you because it certainly doesn't make sense to me. Basically it's obvious Ed has had issues with Mike for a long, long time and simply can't be honest about it and thus uses thinly-veiled scapegoats and alibis to explain it instead of the truth. Having Wolfgang become old enough and good enough to join the band became the perfect be all and end all of excuses that put an end to Mike's involvement in Van Halen. It's the perfect neat little bow on all that drama too because who is going to begrudge anyone for wanting to work with their son? Not even Mike does!
    Last edited by Fontcow; 05.30.12 at 02:20 PM.

  13. #13
    Little Dreamer
    SheWiseMagic's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.26.12
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    9
    Posts Per Day
    0.00
    Favorite VH Album

    VH2
    Favorite VH Song

    Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

    08.11.12 @ 09:45 AM
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    0

    Default

    I don't think anyone can hold it against Eddie for wanting Wolfgang in the band, but as an old fan I can say I do miss Mike. It's just not the same. Not saying it's bad, just different. The Chili Peppers don't seem right without John Frusciante, but they are doing fine. Alice in Chains will never be the same without Layne, but I like that they are still around. Basically what it amounts to is would you rather hear the band you love playing and recording with a new person or two or would you rather they did nothing at all? Me, I like hearing Van Halen any way I can.
    "In what twisted universe does mastering Eddie Van Halen's two handed arpeggio technique count as ABSOLUTELY NOTHING?!"

  14. #14
    The Full Bug

    Join Date
    02.17.00
    Posts
    1,880
    Posts Per Day
    0.24
    Last Online

    Yesterday @ 03:52 PM
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    90
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    102

    Achievements:
    Well-Liked15,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

    Default

    Yes, we all know Ed has has issues with Mike for years, but what I'm suggesting is Mike's decision to tour with Hagar was the straw that broke the camel's back so to speak. And I'm not defending Ed, just suggesting that it's why Mike was booted. And the Wolfgang thing, while it would most likely have come to pass at some point in time, wasn't, I'm suggesting, the motive back in the early to mid 2000's. As I mentioned in another thread, Billy Sheehan has gone on record as saying he was asked again in 2007 to join Van Halen for their reunion tour with Roth and declined. That is proof enough in my book that at that time at least, Wolf joining the band was the fall back position and not Ed's first choice.

    Finally, I think Mike is in a better situation and far happier anyway. And good for him.
    "People say Cream gave birth to Heavy Metal," says Baker. "If that's so, we should have had an abortion."

  15. #15
    Forum Frontman
    fudd's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.22.08
    Age
    42
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    21,469
    Posts Per Day
    4.30
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

    HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

    @
    Likes (Given)
    124
    Likes (Received)
    2277
    Thanks (Given)
    1404
    Thanks (Received)
    8511


    Donor

    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard150,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    Downloader Supreme

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chain View Post
    Yes, we all know Ed has has issues with Mike for years, but what I'm suggesting is Mike's decision to tour with Hagar was the straw that broke the camel's back so to speak. And I'm not defending Ed, just suggesting that it's why Mike was booted. And the Wolfgang thing, while it would most likely have come to pass at some point in time, wasn't, I'm suggesting, the motive back in the early to mid 2000's. As I mentioned in another thread, Billy Sheehan has gone on record as saying he was asked again in 2007 to join Van Halen for their reunion tour with Roth and declined. That is proof enough in my book that at that time at least, Wolf joining the band was the fall back position and not Ed's first choice.

    Finally, I think Mike is in a better situation and far happier anyway. And good for him.
    I just can't get over letting Sammy back but kicking or attempting to kick Mike out. Just doesn't make sense.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Former VH bassist Michael Anthony talks Van Halen (from VHND)
    By Eddymon in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 182
    Last Post: 05.24.12, 09:52 PM
  2. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04.10.12, 11:16 AM
  3. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09.13.10, 02:49 PM
  4. Michael Anthony Talks Chickenfoot and Van Halen
    By Nostalgia Act in forum Chickenfoot
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11.14.09, 10:25 PM
  5. Michael Anthony talks @ Peppers
    By lance watts in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 157
    Last Post: 05.07.02, 02:30 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •