Random Shit That Doesn't Deserve a Thread - Page 1267
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Likes Likes:  3,008
Page 1267 of 1279 FirstFirst ... 26776711671217125712641265126612671268126912701277 ... LastLast
Results 18,991 to 19,005 of 19182
  1. #18991
    Top Of The World

    Join Date
    01.07.05
    Posts
    3,955
    Posts Per Day
    0.64
    Last Online

    Yesterday @ 07:14 PM
    Likes (Given)
    102
    Likes (Received)
    680
    Thanks (Given)
    252
    Thanks (Received)
    1268

    Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da RoundtableSupremely-Liked

    Default

    The twitter post from VHVaults of the backstage photo (from the 1st night) of Eddie, Val, Chuck Norris and Dave reminded me that it's exactly 41 years since I saw VH at the 2nd LA Sports Arena show during the WACF tour.

    I went with 3 friends, we had bought a block of 4 floor seats on the 21st row isle on Mike's side from a ticket agency months before the show. We purposely missed the opening band Cats, hanging out by the concession stands pounding big gulp cokes mixed with a big bottle of Bacardi that we managed to sneak in.

    We were pretty fucked up when we took our seats about 45 minutes before VH started. Our seats happened to be directly behind McKenzie Phillips and some greasy looking guy who looked like a West Side Story extra. They were doing hits of coke from little vials and being the dicks that we were, we started ragging on them loudly saying shit like "Hey, what are ya doing? Share some of that with us!"

    As soon as VH came out with Romeo Delight, the arena went nuts. The topper was not even before the 1st song was through, people behind and around us were climbing over the folding chairs trying to get further up front, people were standing not on the folding chairs but on the *arms* of the folding chairs often falling over each other. Philips and her date had enough and left not even 10 minutes into the show.

  2. #18992
    Bullethead
    Speedway's Avatar
    Join Date
    07.14.01
    Posts
    451
    Posts Per Day
    0.06
    Last Online

    10.04.21 @ 03:41 AM
    Likes (Given)
    5
    Likes (Received)
    99
    Thanks (Given)
    1
    Thanks (Received)
    103

    Achievements:
    Well-Liked15,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    When a song has just been released, it's not always self evident how it will fit within the band's body of work. I was excited by these 3 songs because this was FINALLY an EVH move i understood. Bringing back Dave for 2 songs in 96? Totally confusing. Gary? More confusion. Gary fired and no singer higher? Confusion still. Years of silence? Confused and worried. Sammy coming back? Makes sense. That was the reasoning back in 2004. Now we know better, hindsight is always 20/20. Gotta remember that back in the early 2000s, many were sure that a CVH released named "Tabula Rasa" was imminent. We even had the name of the first single, "Independent's Day."

    Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    'Michael Jackson' even gave us the tracklist which had 'Eruption Part 2' listed on it.

  3. #18993
    Light Up The Sky
    MF5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.05.04
    Age
    33
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    23,015
    Posts Per Day
    3.62
    Favorite VH Album

    WACF
    Favorite VH Song

    Me Wise Magic/Seventh Seal
    Last Online

    Yesterday @ 05:14 PM
    Likes (Given)
    3976
    Likes (Received)
    2350
    Thanks (Given)
    1201
    Thanks (Received)
    1150

    Achievements:
    Master PraiserElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da RoundtableSupremely-Liked75,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    Downloader Supreme

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JUNGLE DRUMMER View Post
    Oh no, ADKOT tracks are all easily superior.
    I judge based on the ‘original’ material on ADKOT.

    There is no comparison.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

  4. #18994
    Take Your Whiskey Home
    Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    04.28.12
    Location
    vancouver
    Posts
    5,339
    Posts Per Day
    1.54
    Favorite VH Album

    all 7
    Favorite VH Song

    ATBL & The Full Bug
    Last Online

    10.21.21 @ 01:33 AM
    Likes (Given)
    207
    Likes (Received)
    422
    Thanks (Given)
    1520
    Thanks (Received)
    2227

    Achievements:
    VeteranMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life Points

    Default

    Random trivia tidbit....


    George Lynch is quoted in this article stating that EVH's Dragonsnake Guitar belonged to Terry Kilgore....





    https://www.loudersound.com/features...-of-hair-metal


    Lynch: “There was a guy called Terry Kilgore and he was amazing, the original Edward [Van Halen]. They went to school together, but I think Terry was the innovator, he started it. I used to go to his house all the time, and I think he had a little over Ed. He had a band called Reddi Killowatt, but he didn’t have the looks or the drive. I used to go to his apartment and jam for hours and he’d put me in the dust. Remember that sculptured dragon guitar Eddie used to pose with? That was Terry’s.

    “Back then everybody was playing in a more bluesy style, because you didn’t have Edward or Yngwie to grow on and set a standard; the standards were old-school. I can’t really remember what I was playing like back then, but I change every few years. I listen to everyone and try to learn from everyone, but not sound like anyone. Someone like Yngwie who has become that technically proficient, to turn around and do something out of left-field or take it somewhere completely different, that’s hard.”
    Last edited by Heisenberg; 09.22.21 at 11:50 PM.

  5. #18995
    Take Your Whiskey Home
    Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    04.28.12
    Location
    vancouver
    Posts
    5,339
    Posts Per Day
    1.54
    Favorite VH Album

    all 7
    Favorite VH Song

    ATBL & The Full Bug
    Last Online

    10.21.21 @ 01:33 AM
    Likes (Given)
    207
    Likes (Received)
    422
    Thanks (Given)
    1520
    Thanks (Received)
    2227

    Achievements:
    VeteranMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life Points

    Default

    Nm delete

  6. #18996
    Soclal Media Manager
    James in New York's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.17.00
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    9,234
    Posts Per Day
    1.18
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Hear About it Later
    Last Online

    Yesterday @ 05:23 PM
    Likes (Given)
    2935
    Likes (Received)
    2421
    Thanks (Given)
    4006
    Thanks (Received)
    3415

    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Thee KingPic Poster100,000 VHL Life Points

    Default

    Beauty is life when life unveils
    her holy face.

    But you are life and you
    are the veil.

    Beauty is eternity gazing at itself
    in a mirror.

    But you are eternity
    and you are the mirror.

    -Kahil Gibran

  7. Flying Ed, ED-A-HOLIC Liked This Post
  8. #18997
    Top Of The World

    Join Date
    01.07.05
    Posts
    3,955
    Posts Per Day
    0.64
    Last Online

    Yesterday @ 07:14 PM
    Likes (Given)
    102
    Likes (Received)
    680
    Thanks (Given)
    252
    Thanks (Received)
    1268

    Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da RoundtableSupremely-Liked

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Random trivia tidbit....


    George Lynch is quoted in this article stating that EVH's Dragonsnake Guitar belonged to Terry Kilgore....





    https://www.loudersound.com/features...-of-hair-metal


    Lynch: “There was a guy called Terry Kilgore and he was amazing, the original Edward [Van Halen]. They went to school together, but I think Terry was the innovator, he started it. I used to go to his house all the time, and I think he had a little over Ed. He had a band called Reddi Killowatt, but he didn’t have the looks or the drive. I used to go to his apartment and jam for hours and he’d put me in the dust. Remember that sculptured dragon guitar Eddie used to pose with? That was Terry’s.

    “Back then everybody was playing in a more bluesy style, because you didn’t have Edward or Yngwie to grow on and set a standard; the standards were old-school. I can’t really remember what I was playing like back then, but I change every few years. I listen to everyone and try to learn from everyone, but not sound like anyone. Someone like Yngwie who has become that technically proficient, to turn around and do something out of left-field or take it somewhere completely different, that’s hard.”
    That band name ringed a bell and sure enough, they had a track on one of those Mike Varney unsigned metal band compilation albums I used to get in the early 80's.


  9. DFVH5150 Liked This Post
  10. #18998
    Unchained
    I Coulda Hada VH's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.29.00
    Location
    Land O' Lakers
    Posts
    61,125
    Posts Per Day
    8.04
    Favorite VH Album

    The First One
    Favorite VH Song

    I'm The One
    Last Online

    Today @ 12:31 AM
    Likes (Given)
    7440
    Likes (Received)
    6147
    Thanks (Given)
    21678
    Thanks (Received)
    25222

    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Thee King400,000 VHL Life Points350,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MVP

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by T.B. View Post
    The twitter post from VHVaults of the backstage photo (from the 1st night) of Eddie, Val, Chuck Norris and Dave reminded me that it's exactly 41 years since I saw VH at the 2nd LA Sports Arena show during the WACF tour.

    I went with 3 friends, we had bought a block of 4 floor seats on the 21st row isle on Mike's side from a ticket agency months before the show. We purposely missed the opening band Cats, hanging out by the concession stands pounding big gulp cokes mixed with a big bottle of Bacardi that we managed to sneak in.

    We were pretty fucked up when we took our seats about 45 minutes before VH started. Our seats happened to be directly behind McKenzie Phillips and some greasy looking guy who looked like a West Side Story extra. They were doing hits of coke from little vials and being the dicks that we were, we started ragging on them loudly saying shit like "Hey, what are ya doing? Share some of that with us!"

    As soon as VH came out with Romeo Delight, the arena went nuts. The topper was not even before the 1st song was through, people behind and around us were climbing over the folding chairs trying to get further up front, people were standing not on the folding chairs but on the *arms* of the folding chairs often falling over each other. Philips and her date had enough and left not even 10 minutes into the show.
    I was at either that show or the 1st night at the LA Sports Arena. We were walking through the parking lot a couple of hours before the show and a limousine drove right by us. The window from the rear passenger side rolled down and none other than Diamond David Lee Roth greeted us with a "what's up guys?"
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

    "The truth sounds like hate to those who hate the truth" - Todd Wagner

    "Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

  11. #18999
    . . .
    Number 47's Avatar
    Join Date
    10.08.06
    Posts
    53,481
    Posts Per Day
    9.73
    Last Online

    Today @ 12:18 AM
    Likes (Given)
    1051
    Likes (Received)
    3076
    Thanks (Given)
    2544
    Thanks (Received)
    11834


    Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Pic PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable250,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The Keyboard Warrior

    Default

    I saw this today and thought... Dave, Ed and Al.

    dea.PNG

  12. #19000
    Take Your Whiskey Home
    DFVH5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.24.04
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    6,175
    Posts Per Day
    0.96
    Favorite VH Album

    5150
    Favorite VH Song

    Dreams
    Last Online

    Yesterday @ 11:07 PM
    Likes (Given)
    2478
    Likes (Received)
    742
    Thanks (Given)
    3549
    Thanks (Received)
    1392

    Achievements:
    Master PraiserVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da RoundtableSupremely-Liked50,000 VHL Life Points

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    When a song has just been released, it's not always self evident how it will fit within the band's body of work. I was excited by these 3 songs because this was FINALLY an EVH move i understood. Bringing back Dave for 2 songs in 96? Totally confusing. Gary? More confusion. Gary fired and no singer higher? Confusion still. Years of silence? Confused and worried. Sammy coming back? Makes sense. That was the reasoning back in 2004. Now we know better, hindsight is always 20/20. Gotta remember that back in the early 2000s, many were sure that a CVH released named "Tabula Rasa" was imminent. We even had the name of the first single, "Independent's Day."

    Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Remember the "Magic Carpet Ride" rumors and "I've Seen All Good People/Your Move" on ASCAP?

    Still wonder about how the latter made it to ASCAP...
    Dave
    VH FOREVER!!!!!!!

    Stats:
    BECAME PSYCHO FAN: 12/91
    VAN HALEN W/DAVE: 9x
    VAN HALEN W/SAMMY: 8x
    VAN HALEN W/GARY: 5x
    MAMMOTH WVH: 1x
    CHICKENFOOT/THE CIRCLE: 10x
    DAVE SOLO: 14x
    SAMMY SOLO: 15x (W/MONTROSE 1x, @CABO WABO CANTINA 1x)
    GARY/EXTREME/TRIBE OF JUDAH/HURTSMILE: 7x
    MET: Sammy 1x, Dave almost 1x, Gary 2x

  13. #19001
    Take Your Whiskey Home
    DFVH5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.24.04
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    6,175
    Posts Per Day
    0.96
    Favorite VH Album

    5150
    Favorite VH Song

    Dreams
    Last Online

    Yesterday @ 11:07 PM
    Likes (Given)
    2478
    Likes (Received)
    742
    Thanks (Given)
    3549
    Thanks (Received)
    1392

    Achievements:
    Master PraiserVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da RoundtableSupremely-Liked50,000 VHL Life Points

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    'Michael Jackson' even gave us the tracklist which had 'Eruption Part 2' listed on it.
    Really?
    Dave
    VH FOREVER!!!!!!!

    Stats:
    BECAME PSYCHO FAN: 12/91
    VAN HALEN W/DAVE: 9x
    VAN HALEN W/SAMMY: 8x
    VAN HALEN W/GARY: 5x
    MAMMOTH WVH: 1x
    CHICKENFOOT/THE CIRCLE: 10x
    DAVE SOLO: 14x
    SAMMY SOLO: 15x (W/MONTROSE 1x, @CABO WABO CANTINA 1x)
    GARY/EXTREME/TRIBE OF JUDAH/HURTSMILE: 7x
    MET: Sammy 1x, Dave almost 1x, Gary 2x

  14. #19002
    Take Your Whiskey Home
    DFVH5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.24.04
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    6,175
    Posts Per Day
    0.96
    Favorite VH Album

    5150
    Favorite VH Song

    Dreams
    Last Online

    Yesterday @ 11:07 PM
    Likes (Given)
    2478
    Likes (Received)
    742
    Thanks (Given)
    3549
    Thanks (Received)
    1392

    Achievements:
    Master PraiserVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da RoundtableSupremely-Liked50,000 VHL Life Points

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by T.B. View Post
    That band name ringed a bell and sure enough, they had a track on one of those Mike Varney unsigned metal band compilation albums I used to get in the early 80's.

    Jeez, Terry!

    That was really good stuff! You know--he's a really good song writer, too. Some of those YFLM and DLR Band tunes. Shit, take "Black Sand."
    Dave
    VH FOREVER!!!!!!!

    Stats:
    BECAME PSYCHO FAN: 12/91
    VAN HALEN W/DAVE: 9x
    VAN HALEN W/SAMMY: 8x
    VAN HALEN W/GARY: 5x
    MAMMOTH WVH: 1x
    CHICKENFOOT/THE CIRCLE: 10x
    DAVE SOLO: 14x
    SAMMY SOLO: 15x (W/MONTROSE 1x, @CABO WABO CANTINA 1x)
    GARY/EXTREME/TRIBE OF JUDAH/HURTSMILE: 7x
    MET: Sammy 1x, Dave almost 1x, Gary 2x

  15. #19003
    Soclal Media Manager
    James in New York's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.17.00
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    9,234
    Posts Per Day
    1.18
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Hear About it Later
    Last Online

    Yesterday @ 05:23 PM
    Likes (Given)
    2935
    Likes (Received)
    2421
    Thanks (Given)
    4006
    Thanks (Received)
    3415

    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Thee KingPic Poster100,000 VHL Life Points

    Default



    Sammy and Mike and the boys pop up in Vegas

    9/22/21
    Beauty is life when life unveils
    her holy face.

    But you are life and you
    are the veil.

    Beauty is eternity gazing at itself
    in a mirror.

    But you are eternity
    and you are the mirror.

    -Kahil Gibran

  16. I Coulda Hada VH Liked This Post
  17. #19004
    Bullethead
    Speedway's Avatar
    Join Date
    07.14.01
    Posts
    451
    Posts Per Day
    0.06
    Last Online

    10.04.21 @ 03:41 AM
    Likes (Given)
    5
    Likes (Received)
    99
    Thanks (Given)
    1
    Thanks (Received)
    103

    Achievements:
    Well-Liked15,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DFVH5150 View Post
    Really?
    Yep, he was posting every 5th post on the thread defending himself from the doubters.

    In hindsight, it was obviously crap but the problem was that at the time, we REALLY wanted to believe it was happening.

    ARMBI was the cry back then.

  18. DFVH5150 Liked This Post
  19. #19005
    Hot For Teacher
    bsbll4's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.18.03
    Age
    38
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    11,150
    Posts Per Day
    1.63
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

    Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

    10.22.21 @ 08:42 AM
    Likes (Given)
    369
    Likes (Received)
    623
    Thanks (Given)
    1184
    Thanks (Received)
    3391

    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!50,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by M.C. View Post
    Anybody see the video for the new song John 5 did with Dave Mustaine? The concept for it seems exactly what was proposed for the "Me Wise Magic" video, which Dave balked at.

    I'm not sure I'm familiar with Dave's concept....the band playing on a sound stage with him on video behind them?
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1870
    Last Post: 09.08.21, 02:44 PM
  2. No Shit, There I Was ( The 'Why Am I Still Alive Thread)
    By Axxman300 in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 09.05.07, 04:54 PM
  3. Google Random Image Hunt Thread
    By WinterlessIceness in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 06.26.07, 06:36 PM
  4. Random Silly VH video Thread....
    By muffdiver in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Music Only)
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 05.16.07, 02:06 PM
  5. Official VHLinks Random Trivia Thread
    By TheresOnlyOneWay in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 04.01.05, 08:56 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •