Random Shit That Doesn't Deserve a Thread - Page 1268
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Likes Likes:  3,014
Page 1268 of 1280 FirstFirst ... 26876811681218125812651266126712681269127012711278 ... LastLast
Results 19,006 to 19,020 of 19192
    Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

10.22.21 @ 08:42 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!50,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

I remember when It's About Time was released and I had to download it on a dial up connection. I remember reading the reactions on the links as it was downloading.

Most everyone was just excited to hear new VH. The general consensus was that it was decent even if a bit gimmicky, but we were excited to hear the rest of the tracks that were coming. To me, that was the first "new" VH song that came out since I had become a fan so it will always mean something special to me, but in retrospect I can understand why everyone would be underwhelmed by it after the great music they had put out previously.

Then UFB came out. After hearing about how great it was from Mike and Sam I was so excited. Then I heard the lyrics and just cringed the whole time.

Learning to See is forgettable to me. The solo was a complete mess for starters, but it just didn't appeal to me in general. In retrospect it sounded exactly like what was probably going through Ed's head at the time--a chaotic mess.

I had a much different reaction to all of the ADKOT tracks. Each one I heard I kept thinking "yes...yeeesss.....YESSSS" as they all sounded like VH and brought a smile to my face.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

2. Jedi McFly, DFVH5150, MF5150 Liked This Post
    Forum Frontman
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 09:59 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Donor

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable75,000 VHL Life Points

There are two nights on this site I remember vividly. The first was when It's About Time started making its way around the net. The second was the night of the Cafe Wha show.

Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post
    Most everyone was just excited to hear new VH. The general consensus was that it was decent even if a bit gimmicky, but we were excited to hear the rest of the tracks that were coming. To me, that was the first "new" VH song that came out since I had become a fan so it will always mean something special to me, but in retrospect I can understand why everyone would be underwhelmed by it after the great music they had put out previously.
    This is my recollection as well, and the bolded part is true for me too. IAT is nowhere near their strongest song, but it's gets as nostalgia pass from me.

UFB was the most "Van Halen" tune of the three if you can look past the lyrics. The main riff of Learning to See is crushing, but overall the song is a mess.

4. DFVH5150 Liked This Post
    Take Your Whiskey Home
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 11:55 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da RoundtableSupremely-Liked50,000 VHL Life Points

I'm not sure I'm familiar with Dave's concept....the band playing on a sound stage with him on video behind them?
    Yep.
    Dave
    VH FOREVER!!!!!!!

Stats:
    BECAME PSYCHO FAN: 12/91
    VAN HALEN W/DAVE: 9x
    VAN HALEN W/SAMMY: 8x
    VAN HALEN W/GARY: 5x
    MAMMOTH WVH: 1x
    CHICKENFOOT/THE CIRCLE: 10x
    DAVE SOLO: 14x
    SAMMY SOLO: 15x (W/MONTROSE 1x, @CABO WABO CANTINA 1x)
    GARY/EXTREME/TRIBE OF JUDAH/HURTSMILE: 7x
    MET: Sammy 1x, Dave almost 1x, Gary 2x

6. bsbll4 Liked This Post
    Light Up The Sky
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic/Seventh Seal
    Last Online

Today @ 11:19 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da RoundtableSupremely-Liked75,000 VHL Life Points

I remember when It's About Time was released and I had to download it on a dial up connection. I remember reading the reactions on the links as it was downloading.

I had a much different reaction to all of the ADKOT tracks. Each one I heard I kept thinking "yes...yeeesss.....YESSSS" as they all sounded like VH and brought a smile to my face.
    I was in Physics class and somebody had a portable radio/cassette player they let me use to listen to it on when the song premiered.

Exactly the same scenario as you, considering it was the first new VH that was released after I became a fan.

With Tattoo, I got in my car and put it on for the first time. I must have played that song 8 times blasting it while driving around. Couldnít believe how much ďlike EdĒ Ed sounded.

It was a joyous experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

8. DFVH5150 Liked This Post
    Unchained
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Today @ 12:22 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Thee King400,000 VHL Life Points350,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MVP

Quote Originally Posted by MF5150 View Post
    I was in Physics class and somebody had a portable radio/cassette player they let me use to listen to it on when the song premiered.

Exactly the same scenario as you, considering it was the first new VH that was released after I became a fan.

With Tattoo, I got in my car and put it on for the first time. I must have played that song 8 times blasting it while driving around. Couldn’t believe how much “like Ed” Ed sounded.

It was a joyous experience.

I was seriously underwhelmed (and still am) by both It's About Time and Tattoo.

Different strokes ...
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"The truth sounds like hate to those who hate the truth" - Todd Wagner

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Constantly Changes
    Last Online

10.07.21 @ 03:13 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Knight Of Da RoundtableMaster PraiserSupremely-Liked50,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by I Coulda Hada VH View Post

Different strokes ...
    Best part about both is the solo in Tattoo.
    "Always hopeful, yet discontent,
    He knows changes aren't permanent
    But change is!"

Light Up The Sky
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da RoundtableSupremely-Liked75,000 VHL Life Points

Default Random Shit That Doesn't Deserve a Thread

Different strokes ...
    You saw VH in the 70ís and at the US Festival....

Itís not about different strokes because now, I donít hold those songs in the same regard as the six pack and most of the Hagar era. Not even close.

But generationally....those moments were big for us youngins, you old fuck.

My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

12. bsbll4 Liked This Post
    Unchained
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Today @ 12:22 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Thee King400,000 VHL Life Points350,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MVP

Quote Originally Posted by MF5150 View Post
    You saw VH in the 70’s and at the US Festival....

It’s not about different strokes because now, I don’t hold those songs in the same regard as the six pack and most of the Hagar era. Not even close.

But generationally....those moments were big for us youngins, you old fuck.

Lol. It's About Time and Tattoo are just not good songs, especially by Van Halen's standards. There were still some good tunes on Balance and plenty of good tunes on ADKOT, so it's not all about when the songs were released. It's about the quality of the songs themselves.
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"The truth sounds like hate to those who hate the truth" - Todd Wagner

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

14. wombattt Liked This Post
    Light Up The Sky
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Default Random Shit That Doesn't Deserve a Thread

Lol. It's About Time and Tattoo are just not good songs, especially by Van Halen's standards. There were still some good tunes on Balance and plenty of good tunes on ADKOT, so it's not all about when the songs were released. It's about the quality of the songs themselves.
    I donít argue with any of that.

But in 2012, I was a 23 year old that was getting his first dose of a new Van Halen single that was from a new VH album.

In that moment, there was nothing better.

You, on the other hand, had decades....upon decades....upon decades....

...upon decades......... of experience to formulate your opinion. My Uncle was the same. He saw VH at Maple Leaf Gardens in 1981. You think he liked Tattoo???

But I wasnít comparing Tattoo to anything off of what I experienced when WACF was released or what I saw live at the US Festival, because I wasnít alive to experience those events.

It was the first VH single off a new VH album that was being released in my time and to hear Ed play the way he did on that track, it was very joyous.

Is the song on or with Simple Rhyme or Take Your Whiskey Home or On Fire?

Fuck no. But it was nonetheless, a joyous moment for a young VH fan.

Last edited by MF5150; 09.24.21 at 12:19 PM.

Baluchitherium
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

10.25.21 @ 10:18 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!100,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard
    Awards:
    The Energizer Bunny

Looking back, Tattoo was a good single. I always hear how it should have been STW etc but that wouldn't have moved the needle that much.

Soclal Media Manager
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it Later
    Last Online

Today @ 06:57 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Thee KingPic Poster100,000 VHL Life Points

While Phil Collen was playing in pre-Def Leppard group Girl, he crossed paths with Eddie Van Halen – who himself had been enjoying the creative boost that came with added firepower from his pickups.

And, as it turned out, the now sadly departed American virtuoso had some pearls of wisdom to share on the matter…

“When I first met Eddie, it was on Van Halen’s first British headline tour at the Rainbow in Finsbury Park, London,” continues Collen.

“He was so humble, considering he was such a monster player. We were talking about guitars and I had this Strat that my mum had gotten me for my 21st birthday.

It was the main guitar I used later on the Hysteria stuff – whenever you hear anything on that record, it’s probably that.

“When I told him I had this beautiful Strat that I loved, he actually said, ‘You know, you won’t be happy until you’ve taken that pickup out and carved out space for a humbucker!’

And I thought, ‘Fuck!’ but I did it because Eddie told me to do it (laughs)! We put a DiMarzio in there and yeah, whenever you hear Animal or any of those tracks on the radio, that’s what you’re hearing!”

Did you ever cross paths with Eddie again?

“Only one more time, sadly. I have to say he was the most important rock player after Jimi Hendrix, who was the first real guitarist.

Everyone at the time had this sound in their head but they couldn’t really do it. Jimi could, and very naturally. I still don’t think anyone’s come close to Hendrix ever since.

“But Eddie has to come next, he changed guitar in a similar way.

It was the purity of his style. Sure, the shredding was great and the tapping was unique – I’d never heard it before – but the vibrato was truly amazing.

He could make his guitar sing. It was all very natural. The main difference between them was that Hendrix was a singer and that meant he had a different approach to it.”
    Beauty is life when life unveils
    her holy face.

But you are life and you
    are the veil.

Beauty is eternity gazing at itself
    in a mirror.

But you are eternity
    and you are the mirror.

-Kahil Gibran

Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Constantly Changes
    Last Online

10.07.21 @ 03:13 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Knight Of Da RoundtableMaster PraiserSupremely-Liked50,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by James in New York View Post
    While Phil Collen was playing in pre-Def Leppard group Girl, he crossed paths with Eddie Van Halen – who himself had been enjoying the creative boost that came with added firepower from his pickups.

And, as it turned out, the now sadly departed American virtuoso had some pearls of wisdom to share on the matter…

“When I first met Eddie, it was on Van Halen’s first British headline tour at the Rainbow in Finsbury Park, London,” continues Collen.

“He was so humble, considering he was such a monster player. We were talking about guitars and I had this Strat that my mum had gotten me for my 21st birthday.

It was the main guitar I used later on the Hysteria stuff – whenever you hear anything on that record, it’s probably that.

“When I told him I had this beautiful Strat that I loved, he actually said, ‘You know, you won’t be happy until you’ve taken that pickup out and carved out space for a humbucker!’

And I thought, ‘Fuck!’ but I did it because Eddie told me to do it (laughs)! We put a DiMarzio in there and yeah, whenever you hear Animal or any of those tracks on the radio, that’s what you’re hearing!”

Did you ever cross paths with Eddie again?

“Only one more time, sadly. I have to say he was the most important rock player after Jimi Hendrix, who was the first real guitarist.

Everyone at the time had this sound in their head but they couldn’t really do it. Jimi could, and very naturally. I still don’t think anyone’s come close to Hendrix ever since.

“But Eddie has to come next, he changed guitar in a similar way.

It was the purity of his style. Sure, the shredding was great and the tapping was unique – I’d never heard it before – but the vibrato was truly amazing.

He could make his guitar sing. It was all very natural. The main difference between them was that Hendrix was a singer and that meant he had a different approach to it.”

One of the best descriptions and contexts of the Jimi Hendrix/Eddie Van Halen debate.
    "Always hopeful, yet discontent,
    He knows changes aren't permanent
    But change is!"

19. James in New York Liked This Post
    Take Your Whiskey Home
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

all 7
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL & The Full Bug
    Last Online

10.25.21 @ 11:30 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    VeteranMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life Points

Amazing how these iconic songwriters manage to come up with so many lyrical masterpiece's time & time again. Hit after hit. Year after year. Sound after sons.

It's what separates the wannabe s from the pros.

Just think- It's About Time for example....

Who would've thought to use the word time to time with itself repeatable over & over....

It's the right time
    It's about time
    To draw the line
    For the last time
    It's about time....

Brilliant. Simple. Effective. Memorable.

Another example equally brilliant...

The running of Tattoo with Tattoo....

Tattoo Tattoo

Tattoo Tattoo

Tattoo Tattoo

If only Fantasy Island was around it could of been a theme song for Tattoo.

Hey boss- the plane

Tattoo Tattoo

It's sheer poetic brilliance that puts these rock composers up & above into the higher ground above common folks. They have creative insight which makes them masters of art.

Light Up The Sky
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

Today @ 09:38 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!75,000 VHL Life PointsThee King50,000 VHL Life Points

I remember hearing ‘Me Wise Magic’ on the Howard Stern show. So cool to hear a new tune with a “reunited” Van Halen. Song still rocks to this day!!
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Soclal Media Manager
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it Later
    Last Online

Today @ 06:57 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Thee KingPic Poster100,000 VHL Life Points

Beauty is life when life unveils
    her holy face.

But you are life and you
    are the veil.

Beauty is eternity gazing at itself
    in a mirror.

But you are eternity
    and you are the mirror.

-Kahil Gibran