Last Online

Yesterday @ 12:00 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserWell-Liked25,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

The reason I want to know if the US vinyl release sounds brickwalled or not is I bought an import and it is only on 1 vinyl and it sounds just like the CD which is brickwalled.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Runnin' With The Devil

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Today @ 01:12 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    15,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da RoundtableWell-Liked

Quote Originally Posted by AJW View Post
    The reason I want to know if the US vinyl release sounds brickwalled or not is I bought an import and it is only on 1 vinyl and it sounds just like the CD which is brickwalled.

Bootlegs are always going to sound rough because they likely mastered it from a digital source.

I have an authentic copy of ADKOT that I had preordered in 2012. I think it sounds a little better than the iTunes/Spotify and CD version but it's not an insane difference. Just if you're a crazy person with vinyl like me.

I made the decision to open it up because I figured I can either open it up and enjoy it now or whoever gets my collection when I die will get to do it instead. Now if I can only convince myself to open my sealed copy of Balance!

3. ronwabo, AJW Liked This Post
    I'm The One
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

All 7 with Dave
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by rockyvanheineken View Post
    Bootlegs are always going to sound rough because they likely mastered it from a digital source.

I have an authentic copy of ADKOT that I had preordered in 2012. I think it sounds a little better than the iTunes/Spotify and CD version but it's not an insane difference. Just if you're a crazy person with vinyl like me.

I made the decision to open it up because I figured I can either open it up and enjoy it now or whoever gets my collection when I die will get to do it instead. Now if I can only convince myself to open my sealed copy of Balance!
    Thank you for the feedback. The sealed copies that are being sold on eBay are going for $375 or up!!!! I guess not worth that coming from your review of the sound from the US vinyl release.

Runnin' With The Devil

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Thank you for the feedback. The sealed copies that are being sold in eBay are going for $375 or up!!!! I guess not worth that coming from your review of the sound from the US vinyl release.

Whoa! That's totally unreasonable even as much as I love ADKOT. If you can get it cheap, snag it. But if you just love to spin some tunes, the boot will be just fine!

6. AJW Liked This Post
    Top Of The World

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 06:40 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da RoundtableSupremely-Liked

What you have is a bootleg, likely ripped directly off the CD release.

The official 2 LP release is pretty rare, already even moreso then F.U.C.K. or Balance and supposedly only 10,000 copies were pressed and released in the US only. When I got my copy around when it was originally released, at Amoeba Records they gave out the "She's The Woman" 7" single as a freebie.

Sonically, it's not a big step in a better direction versus the CD release and it was likely mastered from a HiRes digital source (like 95% of all legitimate album releases going back 20 years). For an album pressed in the last decade, it sounds pretty quiet where it should but it's cut loud for a record. I'm not much of a fan of colored vinyl as it often can sound rough but at least my copy is fine.

The big plus for this release is the packaging - the gatefold sleeve is embossed and the booklet with Roth's art with handwritten lyrics are produced at album size, not the tiny CD sized art. VH and Interscope went all-out on the LP packaging.

If you're looking just to listen to the album, just get the CD, brickwalled though it is.

8. MF5150, AJW, Heisenberg Liked This Post
    I'm The One
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

All 7 with Dave
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by T.B. View Post

The official 2 LP release is pretty rare, already even moreso then F.U.C.K. or Balance and supposedly only 10,000 copies were pressed and released in the US only. When I got my copy around when it was originally released, at Amoeba Records they gave out the "She's The Woman" 7" single as a freebie.

Sonically, it's not a big step in a better direction versus the CD release and it was likely mastered from a HiRes digital source (like 95% of all legitimate album releases going back 20 years). For an album pressed in the last decade, it sounds pretty quiet where it should but it's cut loud for a record. I'm not much of a fan of colored vinyl as it often can sound rough but at least my copy is fine.

The big plus for this release is the packaging - the gatefold sleeve is embossed and the booklet with Roth's art with handwritten lyrics are produced at album size, not the tiny CD sized art. VH and Interscope went all-out on the LP packaging.

If you're looking just to listen to the album, just get the CD, brickwalled though it is.
    So, definitely not worth $375 or more? I guess everyone is trying to make a buck off of the passing of Ed?

Runnin' With The Devil

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

If you're curious and wanna try it out, you could always buy the She's The Woman 45! It's limited to 700 copies and it's about $40-$50 on Discogs right now.

Bullethead

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 12:49 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    RookieWell-Liked2,000 VHL Life Points

Does it have Mike on the sleeve? if so that's the one I own. It sounded ok.

Maybe it's my setup but Vinyl sounds rich and pure but CD's have more fidelity and range and overall sound better on my system.

Vinyl wins though all the time for the cool factor. I love the pure sound of CD's though. I don't have a fancy record player just an Audio Technica turntable w/bluetooth and no ground wire. Sony CD player, Marantz cassette player and Pioneer receiver. Huge Sony speakers.

12. AJW Liked This Post
    I'm The One
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

All 7 with Dave
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by VHrox12 View Post
    Does it have Mike on the sleeve? if so that's the one I own. It sounded ok.

Maybe it's my setup but Vinyl sounds rich and pure but CD's have more fidelity and range and overall sound better on my system.

Vinyl wins though all the time for the cool factor. I love the pure sound of CD's though. I don't have a fancy record player just an Audio Technica turntable w/bluetooth and no ground wire. Sony CD player, Marantz cassette player and Pioneer receiver. Huge Sony speakers.
    Yes, Mike is on the sleeve. The pic of the group from the back of Woman and Children First album. Which I thought was strange.

The Full Bug
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

VHII
    Favorite VH Song

Light up the Sky
    Last Online

11.27.21 @ 01:29 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

In my opinion, my copy of ADKOT on vinyl sounds better than the iTunes version that I bought. I also pre ordered my album, it’s the 2 album, red in color vinyl. I didn’t get the STW 45 freebie though, that sounds like a cool bonus.what is one the B side?

15. sinner's swing Liked This Post
    Top Of The World

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 06:40 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da RoundtableSupremely-Liked

Quote Originally Posted by ScottyBHarris View Post
    In my opinion, my copy of ADKOT on vinyl sounds better than the iTunes version that I bought. I also pre ordered my album, it’s the 2 album, red in color vinyl. I didn’t get the STW 45 freebie though, that sounds like a cool bonus.what is one the B side?
    It's a short Roth interview about why they put the brown M&Ms clause in their early 80's tour contract.

17. ScottyBHarris Liked This Post
    The Full Bug
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

VHII
    Favorite VH Song

Light up the Sky
    Last Online

11.27.21 @ 01:29 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

It's a short Roth interview about why they put the brown M&Ms clause in their early 80's tour contract.
    Very cool freebie.

Runnin' With The Devil

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Here's a quick look at my VH vinyl stash! The Batman case is nothing but VH 45s.

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

all 7
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL & The Full Bug
    Last Online

11.19.21 @ 06:57 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    VeteranMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by rockyvanheineken View Post

Here's a quick look at my VH vinyl stash! The Batman case is nothing but VH 45s.
    Eye Spy With My Little Eye....

A Little Ain't Enough! Nice vinyl scoop. I'm guessing kinda rare nowdays.

Hindsight vision is always 20\20, at the time always bought cd's. Never thought ahead to scoop both.

I just recently started buying select vinyl albums via Craigslist & Facebook Marketplace. Recently scooped Queensryche Operation Mind crime 1988 vinyl & 2 Alcatrazz records.

Recently read a comment @ Steve Hoffman Forum
    , Someone scooped a vinyl copy of DLR- Your Filthy Little Mouth. From Germany ( I think). After 1988 when the cd's became the main format the vinyl must've been manufactured at a much lower level ultimately fazed out completely. So nowdays certain titles fairly rare. Fun to scoop if we run across.

I'm not down with these recent vinyl bootlegs of official albums. Just don't see the point unless it's an official vintage release. Kinda akin to bootleg T Shirts & whatnot. They must be sourced from the cd

Runnin' With The Devil

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Eye Spy With My Little Eye....

A Little Ain't Enough! Nice vinyl scoop. I'm guessing kinda rare nowdays.

Hindsight vision is always 20\20, at the time always bought cd's. Never thought ahead to scoop both.

I just recently started buying select vinyl albums via Craigslist & Facebook Marketplace. Recently scooped Queensryche Operation Mind crime 1988 vinyl & 2 Alcatrazz records.

Recently read a comment @ Steve Hoffman Forum
    , Someone scooped a vinyl copy of DLR- Your Filthy Little Mouth. From Germany ( I think). After 1988 when the cd's became the main format the vinyl must've been manufactured at a much lower level ultimately fazed out completely. So nowdays certain titles fairly rare. Fun to scoop if we run across.

I'm not down with these recent vinyl bootlegs of official albums. Just don't see the point unless it's an official vintage release. Kinda akin to bootleg T Shirts & whatnot. They must be sourced from the cd
    Oh yeah, YFLM has been on my wantlist for a while now but I just can't justify pulling the $60-80 trigger quite yet. I always spam Dave's social media posts begging for remasters of his solo stuff. I'd love to see DLR Band get released on vinyl, that's a really underrated album.

I started buying records in 2004. My first big haul was from Salvation Army (back when you could get quality records at thrift stores and not a million copies of Whipped Cream and Other Delights). I still have my CDs but vinyl is easily the most satisfying way to collect music, at least in my opinion!