Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 03:17 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da RoundtableSupremely-Liked50,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    Just watched Tenet, and then watched it again. I really like Chris Nolan films, and have since Memento. I have actually yet to watch Dunkirk. Typically, I don't like period war films, though when I am made to sit down and watch them, I've loved them, most recently 1917 and Hacksaw Ridge.

Anyway, Tenet is...something. It was entertaining, I liked it, and even after two viewings I am not more than 75% sure of what I saw and what actually happened.

In other news, our TV broke (I think it is fixable and we will try to do so soon), so it gave me a chance to upgrade to a lower-mid-tier LG 65" OLED TV with HDR.

Any of you have any suggested titles for showcasing HDR?
    Dunkirk was good. It had a short run-time, which is unusual for a Nolan film, and a war period piece.

I want to see Tenet, as I'm a Nolan fan too, but I anticipate it being a difficult film to follow. I remember people having a similar reaction with Inception, but I had no problem following that one.

Our main tv stopped working on black Friday. Good time for that, I guess. Went out and bought a new 60" Samsung. Still getting used to the settings with HDR. Sorry, no suggested titles. But I'm all ears if anyone else has any...

2. lovemachine97(Version 2) Liked This Post
    Soclal Media Manager
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

Today @ 01:54 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!200,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable
    Awards:
    The Energizer Bunny

Only Lovers Left Alive

Never even heard of this movie, and I stumbled across it, started watching it, and then started it from the beginning.

I wouldn't call it good, but I did find it interesting. Tom Hiddleston, Tilda Swinton, and a really good supporting cast of actors you will recognize. Tom Hiddleston and Tilda Swinton are centuries old vampire lovers struggling with modern life.

The movie is carried by the interactions between Hiddleston and Swinton, they make you believe that they have been in love for centuries.

Can't say I recommend it, has a film noir feel to it in some parts, but I can't really compare it to anything to help people judge if they might like it.
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

Top Of The World

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 09:50 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da RoundtableSupremely-Liked

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy812 View Post
    Dunkirk was good. It had a short run-time, which is unusual for a Nolan film, and a war period piece.

I want to see Tenet, as I'm a Nolan fan too, but I anticipate it being a difficult film to follow. I remember people having a similar reaction with Inception, but I had no problem following that one.

Our main tv stopped working on black Friday. Good time for that, I guess. Went out and bought a new 60" Samsung. Still getting used to the settings with HDR. Sorry, no suggested titles. But I'm all ears if anyone else has any...
    4K Blu-rays I'd suggest picking up that are pretty good upgrades over any previous home video release or new releases that just look amazing include:

Ready Player One
    Bohemian Rhapsody
    Jaws
    War Of The Worlds (Spielberg remake)
    2001: A Space Odyssey
    Pacific Rim
    Mad Max: Fury Road
    The Jungle Book (CGI remake)

There's a lot of movies out on 4K that are basically upscaled 1080P sources to 4K or worse some idiot at the controls jacked up the edge enhancement or other digital tomfoolery to make the image "seem" to look sharper, more colorful, etc than standard HD. The Star Wars original trilogy especially New Hope aren't really any improvement over the regular Blu-ray for instance.

Light Up The Sky

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 10:24 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!75,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da RoundtableElite Daily Poster

If you like Nolan films then I recommend it, but it’s almost as if he got just too clever for his own good.
    The 747 scene was filmed at our local airport, which also houses the power plant where my wife works. A friend of mine got to be on set. It’s funny to hear them mention the city I work in on the special features.

Anyway, I’d done a lot of research and studying Consumer Reports and my dad and I came to different conclusions. He bought a 75” Samsung QLED but wasn’t that concerned with HDR. I ended up with the B-series LG OLED 65”, which CR said they didn’t notice any reason to go to the (more expensive) C-series.

First thing I learned after plugging it all in is that the Apple TV 4K pushes everything to your TV at 4K HDR by default and you don’t want that. But first I needed an HDMI cable that would carry all the data, which luckily I had. So then I had to set the default to SDR and now when HDR content is selected, the TV “thinks” and then tells you if it’s HDR or Dolby Vision (I wanted a TV that did both of those). I also learned that I want to use LG’s “Cinema Home” setting under normal day and night lighting and “Cinema” when the room is totally dark (this is the most accurate setting).

Some films I see little difference other than how lights (or light sabers) jump off the screen. But I have had some films recommended to me as reference which I already had, including John Wick 2, which does look great. Also, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2. I saw Interstellar for $4.99 and I’ve heard that’s great reference for HDR as well. Last Jedi looks really good, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. jimmy812 Liked This Post
    Light Up The Sky

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!75,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da RoundtableElite Daily Poster

Quote Originally Posted by T.B. View Post
    4K Blu-rays I'd suggest picking up that are pretty good upgrades over any previous home video release or new releases that just look amazing include:

Ready Player One
    Bohemian Rhapsody
    Jaws
    War Of The Worlds (Spielberg remake)
    2001: A Space Odyssey
    Pacific Rim
    Mad Max: Fury Road
    The Jungle Book (CGI remake)

There's a lot of movies out on 4K that are basically upscaled 1080P sources to 4K or worse some idiot at the controls jacked up the edge enhancement or other digital tomfoolery to make the image "seem" to look sharper, more colorful, etc than standard HD. The Star Wars original trilogy especially New Hope aren't really any improvement over the regular Blu-ray for instance.
    I usually look up to see if that’s the case and I’d read the 4K HDR “prints” of the Star Wars OT were brand new scans, not upscale, though that means the suffer from the same issues the Blu Ray’s did because the same print (like the magenta color tone) are still present.

Luckily, I didn’t buy them. I bought the Blu Rays for having downloaded the Despecialized OT, and Disney+ has the 4K versions.

Ready Player One looks pretty good (also just read the sequel, which was fun), but as I mentioned above, so does John Wick 2 and Guardians 2. I will get back to both of you on Interstellar.

Top Of The World

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 09:50 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da RoundtableSupremely-Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    Only Lovers Left Alive

Never even heard of this movie, and I stumbled across it, started watching it, and then started it from the beginning.

I wouldn't call it good, but I did find it interesting. Tom Hiddleston, Tilda Swinton, and a really good supporting cast of actors you will recognize. Tom Hiddleston and Tilda Swinton are centuries old vampire lovers struggling with modern life.

The movie is carried by the interactions between Hiddleston and Swinton, they make you believe that they have been in love for centuries.

Can't say I recommend it, has a film noir feel to it in some parts, but I can't really compare it to anything to help people judge if they might like it.
    I love the music soundtrack to this movie. It took me a couple years to find the album used at a reasonable price.

DD, if this movie at least intrigued you, I would suggest checking out "Byzantium." It's a movie about a Mother and Daughter vampire and is a much more engaging, dynamic and atmospheric film then Only Lovers... It's directed by Neil Jordan who did "Interview With A Vampire" and "The Crying Game."

Another film Jordan directed early in his career is "Company Of Wolves" which is weird as fuck.

9. Dave's Dreidel Liked This Post
    carpe damn diem
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

02.26.21 @ 02:40 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!150,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

“Fletch”. Enjoyed it better than when I originally saw it oh so many years ago, but I don’t know that it left me yearning for a sequel or a reboot. Nice trip back to the ‘80s though, lol.

Before the movie, there was a promo for “HD DVD”. Was that the shortest lived format in the history of formats? Or was that actually the same thing as what is now called Blu Ray?
    If you like what you see here, please click here to donate!

Light Up The Sky

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    “Fletch”. Enjoyed it better than when I originally saw it oh so many years ago, but I don’t know that it left me yearning for a sequel or a reboot. Nice trip back to the ‘80s though, lol.

Before the movie, there was a promo for “HD DVD”. Was that the shortest lived format in the history of formats? Or was that actually the same thing as what is now called Blu Ray?
    Competing formats between Sony (Blu Ray) and Toshiba (HD DVD). Loosely similar to VHS and Betamax competing.

Basically the studios were split, but Blockbuster, Target, and Walmart got behind Blu Ray and then Sony made the PlayStation a BluRay player and Toshiba conceded.

12. billy007 Liked This Post
    Unchained
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Today @ 01:59 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!350,000 VHL Life PointsThee King
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MVP

Watching Forrest Gump on AMC right now. Easily one of my favorite movies of all-time.

Unchained
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!350,000 VHL Life PointsThee King
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MVP

The Wedding Singer and Wedding Crashers last night on VHI.
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"The truth sounds like hate to those who hate the truth" - Todd Wagner

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

15. jimmy812 Liked This Post
    Unchained
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MVP

Sixteen Candles right now on AMC. Probably my favorite John Hughes movie.

Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 03:17 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da RoundtableSupremely-Liked50,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by I Coulda Hada VH View Post
    Sixteen Candles right now on AMC. Probably my favorite John Hughes movie.
    Classic.
    I'd probably rank it 3rd among Hughes' films, battling it out with The Breakfast Club.
    Planes, Trains & Automobiles and Ferris Bueller are my 1 and 2, respectively.

Soclal Media Manager
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

Today @ 01:54 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!200,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable
    Awards:
    The Energizer Bunny

Classic.
    I'd probably rank it 3rd among Hughes' films, battling it out with The Breakfast Club.
    Planes, Trains & Automobiles and Ferris Bueller are my 1 and 2, respectively.
    I'll take Uncle Buck over any of them except Ferris Bueller. The Breakfast Club is incredibly over rated to me. Possibly because as a farm kid, that was not my high school experience, so it didn't resonate with me as it did with others.
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

19. Number 47 Liked This Post
    Light Up The Sky
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Whatever Brett says.
    Favorite VH Song

None. Because I hate VH.
    Last Online

Today @ 11:38 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da RoundtableSupremely-Liked75,000 VHL Life Points

WonderWoman 1984.

Horseshit.

My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Top Of The World

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 02:15 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserWell-Liked15,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    The Breakfast Club is incredibly over rated to me.s.
    Same..too much teen angst for me, even when I was a teen watching it. And I may be the only person in the world that thinks Plains,trains is kinda overrated, it has its moments though
    Dealing with it.