Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 12:39 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard100,000 VHL Life Points

https://www.cpr.org/2024/04/14/ban-o...olorado-house/

Colorado looks to ban all semi automatic weapons.

I'm sure folks will go back and forth on if this will fail at some level, or if the SC will strike it down or whatever. I don't care about this debate in of itself.

I'm tired of these political games "Its just politics" or whatever. We as a society just kind of accept these things, so they never will get corrected. The folks that pass this know full well that this is a violation of people's rights. They know it.

The idea that dems only want some laws is a lie. It always was. All one has to do is look at some of the countries that Dems champion and its easy to see that the endgame is for far more restrictions than what they have claimed in the past.

Mean Street

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Today @ 05:36 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard300,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The Congeniality Award

Quote Originally Posted by rocknblues81 View Post
    https://www.cpr.org/2024/04/14/ban-o...olorado-house/

Colorado looks to ban all semi automatic weapons.

I'm sure folks will go back and forth on if this will fail at some level, or if the SC will strike it down or whatever. I don't care about this debate in of itself.

I'm tired of these political games "Its just politics" or whatever. We as a society just kind of accept these things, so they never will get corrected. The folks that pass this know full well that this is a violation of people's rights. They know it.

The idea that dems only want some laws is a lie. It always was. All one has to do is look at some of the countries that Dems champion and its easy to see that the endgame is for far more restrictions than what they have claimed in the past.
    This is in direct violation of recent Supreme Court rulings. More time being wasted by the idiots in Colorado government.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"But, fucking with Brook is like fucking with hot shit on and ax handle. You just don't get a grip"-track5

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

I'm The One
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

1984, VH1, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL, As Is, Panama
    Last Online

Today @ 09:30 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da RoundtableSupremely-Liked

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    This is in direct violation of recent Supreme Court rulings. More time being wasted by the idiots in Colorado government.
    So what's the problem with banning semi-auto weapons? I'll admit I'm ignorant on guns but could someone explain to me why they need a semi-auto rifle? Are they hunting and need to get 20 shots off immediately? is there an actual legitimate use other than what we've seen with mass shootings? I don't know. Please educate me.
    "People ask me how far I've come. And I tell them twelve feet: from the audience to the stage." - David Lee Roth

Master Bluesman
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Stay Frosty
    Last Online

Today @ 03:15 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member

Donor

Achievements:
    Master PraiserVHLinks Proud!Supremely-LikedThee King75,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by KS 5150 View Post
    Please educate me.
    Well the devils in the details as always. Problem here, or as I see it the main one is how they, the bill, defines “assault weapons”. This bill looks like it would also ban semi-auto handguns and shotguns, which is downright silly IMO. Semi-autos like the 1911 style etc. lots of folks have these as legitimate self defense guns. Same with semi-auto shotguns. Duck hunters, bird hunters use these.

This bill, if its passed, will get challenged and probably gutted. Needs to be re-written. At least the definition part. IMO.
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Rawhide in "A"

Tom Brady hates tomatoes

5. KS 5150 Liked This Post
    bat wing ball sack
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 04:37 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Pic PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable250,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The Keyboard Warrior

I don't know shit about guns, but know when some people hear or see the term semi-automatic... the first thing they imagine is a machine gun. Ratt-a-tatt-tatt!

7. Elwood P. Liked This Post
    Master Bluesman
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Stay Frosty
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member

Donor

Achievements:

Exactly. Semi-auto just means 1 round is fired each time the trigger is pulled/depressed. Machine guns are fully auto capable.

"Rawhide in "A"

Tom Brady hates tomatoes

Mean Street

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard300,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The Congeniality Award

Quote Originally Posted by KS 5150 View Post
    So what's the problem with banning semi-auto weapons? I'll admit I'm ignorant on guns but could someone explain to me why they need a semi-auto rifle? Are they hunting and need to get 20 shots off immediately? is there an actual legitimate use other than what we've seen with mass shootings? I don't know. Please educate me.
    All firearms are semi-automatic unless they are modified to automatic which is illegal.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"But, fucking with Brook is like fucking with hot shit on and ax handle. You just don't get a grip"-track5

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

10. KS 5150 Liked This Post
    Master Bluesman
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Stay Frosty
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member

Donor

Achievements:

All firearms are semi-automatic unless they are modified to automatic which is illegal.
    Not my Winchester 94 30-30. Has to be cocked for each round. I have not Lucas McCain’ed it. Although if we’re getting into schematics I guess his was not semi-auto either, still had to be cocked for each round.

I’m confusing myself.

"Rawhide in "A"

Tom Brady hates tomatoes

Mean Street

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Awards:
    The Congeniality Award

Supreme Court unanimously rules for NRA in free speech fight

May 30, 2024

The Supreme Court on Thursday unanimously ruled for the National Rifle Association (NRA) in its free speech fight against a former New York regulator.

Authored by liberal Justice Sonia Sotomayor, the ruling revives the gun-rights group’s First Amendment claim against Maria Vullo, who formerly ran the New York Department of Financial Services.

Vullo began investigating the NRA in 2017, and the probe led her to encourage insurers and banks she regulated to sever ties with the gun rights group after the Parkland, Fla., school shooting that killed 17 students and staff and reignited a national debate surrounding gun control measures.

The NRA contended Vullo’s steps went beyond permissible advocacy and crossed into unconstitutional government coercion, and Thursday’s decision enables the case, which is still in a preliminary stage, to move forward in a lower court.

“Vullo was free to criticize the NRA and pursue the conceded violations of New York insurance law,” Sotomayor wrote.

“She could not wield her power, however, to threaten enforcement actions against DFS-regulated entities in order to punish or suppress the NRA’s gun-promotion advocacy,” the opinion continued. “Because the complaint plausibly alleges that Vullo did just that, the Court holds that the NRA stated a First Amendment violation.”

The case drew some unusual battle lines.

Despite their deep disagreement on the Second Amendment, the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) represented the NRA before the high court in its fight, the first time the groups had teamed up.

Vullo’s lawyer argued that her investigation constituted permissible government speech and legitimate law enforcement.

The regulator was investigating NRA-endorsed insurance programs, leading some companies to acknowledge their programs were unlawful. The NRA also took aim at comments Vullo made during an alleged private meeting with Lloyd’s, an insurance giant.

When the Supreme Court heard the case in March, several justices appeared persuaded by the NRA’s arguments — though Sotomayor, who wrote the majority opinion, at one point pushed back.

She suggested to the NRA’s counsel at one point “it seems to me you’re trying to” break new ground in the court’s First Amendment case law.

“Ultimately, the critical takeaway is that the First Amendment prohibits government officials from wielding their power selectively to punish or suppress speech, directly or (as alleged here) through private intermediaries,” Sotomayor wrote in the high court’s opinion on Thursday.

Though all of the justices joined Sotomayor’s opinion, two members of the bench also wrote separately.

Conservative Justice Neil Gorsuch wrote a brief, one-paragraph opinion to further explain his understanding of the court’s ruling.

And liberal Justice Ketanji Brown Jackson in a concurring opinion wrote that the lower courts had improperly lumped together the NRA’s censorship and retaliation claims, encouraging that they be disentangled as the case moves forward.

“On remand, the parties and lower courts should consider the censorship and retaliation theories independently, mindful of the distinction between government coercion and the ways in which such coercion might (or might not) have violated the NRA’s constitutional rights,” Jackson wrote.

https://thehill.com/regulation/court...a-free-speech/

13. edwardv Liked This Post
    Master Bluesman
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Stay Frosty
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member

Donor

Achievements:

Despite their deep disagreement on the Second Amendment, the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) represented the NRA before the high court in its fight, the first time the groups had teamed up.
    Interesting.

"Rawhide in "A"

Tom Brady hates tomatoes

Mean Street
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 05:40 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard75,000 VHL Life Points15,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The Energizer Bunny

Supreme Court strikes down federal ban on bump stocks

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/sup...an-bump-stocks

16. bklynboy68 Liked This Post
    Take Your Whiskey Home

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 05:03 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    25,000 VHL Life PointsMaster PraiserThee KingSupremely-Liked

A Trump ban that was asinine
    Dealing with it.

Light Up The Sky
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

Today @ 05:35 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!5,000 VHL Life Points100,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

I support gun rights but not a big fan of bump stocks. I understand people wanting them and understand why people hate them.

That said it seems to simply fill a purpose which to me isn't really an iron clad 2nd Amendment right. However not going to like every decision handed down and that is fine.

Master Bluesman
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Stay Frosty
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member

Donor

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by ziggysmalls View Post
    I support gun rights but not a big fan of bump stocks.
    Not a fan either. But then I’m a simple man (cue in the Skynyrd) whether talking guns or meatloaf recipes.

"Rawhide in "A"

Tom Brady hates tomatoes

Mean Street

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Awards:
    The Congeniality Award

Not a fan of bump stocks, but the ruling was correct. Obama's DOJ allowed this product to be made and at the time I posted the actual letter of approval on here. We were all confused as to why they would approve the manufacture of a product that basically skirts around existing law.

Regardless, this is a job for the legislature, not an executive order.