Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by iplayguitaralot View Post
    My drummer tried to stab my bassist today

Besides that, I've learned a beat. Drumming is pretty fun.
    It is quite surprising that this sort of thing does not happen more frequently. Being a bass guitarist, I understand the issue all too well. To explain:

The common flaw with the drummer/bass guitarist relationship lies in one of simple anatomy. The average bassist, being of two normal feet, can not/never will relate to the drummer, who more often than not is in possession of two left ones.

Yes it's true that a bassist without a girlfriend is often referred to as "homeless", the drummer having been raised in caves his entire life, is therefore never far from one. Which naturally leads us into the questionable area of hygiene...

Whatever. The truth is that a dynamic rhythm section is far more important to a band than any "fleet-fingered" guitarist or pretty boy singer ever will be. Here's hope that your guys work things out.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Bullethead

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

06.12.21 @ 01:29 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    5,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    It is quite surprising that this sort of thing does not happen more frequently. Being a bass guitarist, I understand the issue all too well. To explain:

The common flaw with the drummer/bass guitarist relationship lies in one of simple anatomy. The average bassist, being of two normal feet, can not/never will relate to the drummer, who more often than not is in possession of two left ones.

Yes it's true that a bassist without a girlfriend is often referred to as "homeless", the drummer having been raised in caves his entire life, is therefore never far from one. Which naturally leads us into the questionable area of hygiene...

Whatever. The truth is that a dynamic rhythm section is far more important to a band than any "fleet-fingered" guitarist or pretty boy singer ever will be. Here's hope that your guys work things out.
    Hah, it was really awkward. Hopefully things work out but I think my drummer is crazy. In the bad way.

Heres to a solid rhythm section

Anyways, I am happy I got the hang of some beats. Drumming is a bunch of fun. Maybe I will look out for a cheap set to screw around.

Hot For Teacher

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

can't think of a single band with a shitty rhythm section that is worth listening to. I'll trade a tight passionate rhythm section for a guitarist/acrobat any day of the week.

Banned!

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

06.20.08 @ 02:30 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Is there really that big of a difference between maple shells and mahogany shells, price, and sound wise? I own this set....

http://cgi.ebay.com/GRETSCH-CATALINA...QQcmdZViewItem

Then saw this set on Ebay, same sizes, appears to be the same set the only difference is this one is maple, and the prior one mahogany.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Gretsch-NC-J...QQcmdZViewItem

Banned!

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Bueller? Bueller? Bueller........? Anybody?

Webmaster/Graphic Artist
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

11.17.20 @ 08:41 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    25,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

Default Hot For Teacher intro...

Here's my attempt at the intro to Hot For Teacher. I used my Yamaha DTXpressII electric kit for this. I didn't program a china cymbal but you get the idea. It's not perfect. This was my 5th attempt and the mix is horrible. I did program the floor tom with an electric kick sound. So I'm playing that first, then playing the shuffle on the kick with my feet, then transferring my left hand over to the high tom. Fast and dirty, not even close to perfect but what the hell.

Top Timmy doing Hot For Teacher intro.
    Webmaster/Graphic Artist
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Nicely done, Timmy. I'm the worst on the planet for double bass drum work (in fact, I can't get going any faster than a mid-tempo blues shuffle without falling off of the throne like a bucked bull-rider), so my hat's off to ya for being able to pull it off. Good for you!
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Webmaster/Graphic Artist
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

11.17.20 @ 08:41 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    25,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

Nicely done, Timmy. I'm the worst on the planet for double bass drum work (in fact, I can't get going any faster than a mid-tempo blues shuffle without falling off of the throne like a bucked bull-rider), so my hat's off to ya for being able to pull it off. Good for you!
    Thanks bro. I still have a hard time getting the shuffle feel on the double kick. I have a problem that once I do finally get the shuffle feel, I lose my feel for straight 16th notes on double kick. It's just hard for me to turn them on and off from each other.
    Webmaster/Graphic Artist
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

Hell-LOW Baay-BAY!!
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

06.01.21 @ 05:54 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member

Donor

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!150,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da RoundtableWell-LikedPic Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Top Timmy View Post
    Here's my attempt at the intro to Hot For Teacher. I used my Yamaha DTXpressII electric kit for this. I didn't program a china cymbal but you get the idea. It's not perfect. This was my 5th attempt and the mix is horrible. I did program the floor tom with an electric kick sound. So I'm playing that first, then playing the shuffle on the kick with my feet, then transferring my left hand over to the high tom. Fast and dirty, not even close to perfect but what the hell.
    Fuck donkeys! That was an INCREDIBLE replication of the intro!!!

Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Thanks bro. I still have a hard time getting the shuffle feel on the double kick. I have a problem that once I do finally get the shuffle feel, I lose my feel for straight 16th notes on double kick. It's just hard for me to turn them on and off from each other.
    Well, ask yourself a simple question: Although learn-able and within your grasp, is this a needed skill? No kiddin'. You should hear some of the hammerin' and cuttin' skills that I possess upon the bass and the guitar, yet when one composes songs of the "Jackson Brown/Elton John" nature (and tempo), precisely how often do such "skills" fall into play?

Yeah, it's neat to wank every so often, show off amongst friends or merely one's back porch, yet if the ability is not directly applicable to your use, don't sweat it.

Seriously though...a single bass drum and merely paying attention to the other guys usually can get one through. Yeah, if you guys are covering "Hot For Teacher", the one good OZZY tune from his second album, "Hunting Girl" from Jethro Tull or even the "Cozy Powell Tribute Album", you'll need to do it.

Then again, I have no clue as to if you play in a musical outfit that demands such a regimen. Yet if ya do, I hope you wear ear-plugs.

Best of luck to you, friend. Sincerely.

craig
    George Bernard Shaw

Little Dreamer

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

Amsterdam
    Last Online

03.18.11 @ 07:38 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    Is there really that big of a difference between maple shells and mahogany shells, price, and sound wise? I own this set....

http://cgi.ebay.com/GRETSCH-CATALINA...QQcmdZViewItem

Then saw this set on Ebay, same sizes, appears to be the same set the only difference is this one is maple, and the prior one mahogany.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Gretsch-NC-J...QQcmdZViewItem
    For the most part, maple is the wood of choice when it comes to drums. Mahagony is usually on lower end drums. Maple is known for being bright and having great sustain with great overtones. Birch used to be a little more popular for studio use due to its more controlled (less overtones, less sustain) sound. For example, Yamaha's top kits used to be a Maple Custom and a Recording Custom (birch). They still might be actually, but I'm not sure as I haven't worked in a drum shop for years.

Little Dreamer

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

Amsterdam
    Last Online

03.18.11 @ 07:38 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

For me, it was all about play time. I don't mean practicing rudiments or anything like that. I would just pop in some cd's (get a decent set of over-the-ear headphones) and learn to play songs that I liked. Eventually this led to me learning more and more complicated stuff (started with Skid Row, then eventually moved on to Dream Theater etc...). Luckily, when I started playing drums, I had all the time in the world to play. I had time to develop killer double kick speed and still work on all sorts of crazy patterns. Now that I'm learning guitar, I only get to play a little each evening.

Regardless, there are a ton of great players out there to learn from. However, if you really want to develop crazy double kick speed/stamina/abilities, get Mike Terrana's instructional video or look him up on youtube. Here is one of his solo's

There are probably a ton of other great drummers to learn from as well. However, in my mind, there is no substitute for play time.

Light Up The Sky

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

01.02.20 @ 04:20 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

My son at last week's lesson...

and his instructor on tour last year...
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

Banned!

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Sounds like your son is off to a great start. He's a lucky young man to have a father enjoying music with him and encouraging him to do better.

Light Up The Sky

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

01.02.20 @ 04:20 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    Sounds like your son is off to a great start. He's a lucky young man to have a father enjoying music with him and encouraging him to do better.
    Thanks...
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton