Posts Per Day
    Last Online

06.20.08 @ 02:30 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by LowLifeFlatHeadScum View Post
    Sorry South.....I've just started to try my hand at playing and am a little too shy about posting being a sub-amateur. I do come here from time to time to see if I can glean any knowledge. I'm about as green as they come. Currently playing a Simmons SD5K digital kit given to me by Filthy150 after an incredible jam session at last year's TLW.

I'm still very much in the experimenting stages on just what I can do and how fast I can do it. Still have problems with timing and the kick pedal, so I have to really buckle down and train myself. Problem is, whenever I sit down to play.....I want to rock the fuck out and just have fun hitting the pads
    LMAO, I actually started out with that simmons kit. It was a decent little kit at a very affordable price. But after a couple of weeks I read some bad reviews on it saying the pads die out pretty quickly, and I returned it to Guitar Center....gotta' love that 45 day return policy.

After that I thought about it some more, and after an exhaustive few week search I settled on my Gretsch Jazz kit. I wanted to go acoustic...one because the better electronic kits were probably out of my price range at the time. Two....I felt if I was going to do this, I needed to go to the roots and learn it all.....tuning drums, changing heads etc.

You know the really funny thing is, when I had that Simmons kit, I was the same way. I would just wail away and have a blast with it, hell no one could hear me (headphones) didn't have a clue what I was doing, but what the hell. Heh, I even remember my wife looking into my *mancage* one day and chuckling at me in a good way and saying, you get so into playing those that it's cool....something she hadn't seen me do with my guitar in quite sometime.

Since I've actually started to "learn" somethings on the drums now, it is actually a bit less fun. It's more stringent and seems a bit more like work, but I am still enjoying learning. Trust me, we are in the same boat bro, I'm a complete amature at this too, but I'm giving it a shot.

Thanks for the reply LL.

BTW, Wruff, thanks a ton for the tip on the YouTube clips, seeing some positives on there already!
    Last edited by Southpaw; 01.29.08 at 02:31 PM.

Romeo Delight

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

09.18.08 @ 11:43 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Hell-LOW Baay-BAY!!
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

06.01.21 @ 05:54 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member

Donor

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!150,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da RoundtableWell-LikedPic Poster

With the TLW coming up, the pressure is on for me to be able to show some scrote behind the kit this year. We had such a great time that I dont wanna let the TLW House Band down. Since last June I've been noodling around with my Simmons electronic kit, mostly playing bass-free as I found that I am somewhat retarded in my timing.

Finally today I forced myself to play that damn bass pedal until after an hour it didnt seem so alien anymore. Im sure that as I spend time each day tapping that pedal I'll gain more bravado and start to show a little creativity.

I wanted desperately to play along with something fairly basic, so out of my music library I chose "Sweet Home Chicago" and the Stones' "Almost Hear You Sigh". I was content with the results, but obviously I want to get better - like NOW.

I know that patience is a virtue. Was wondering if anyone had any pointers other than the obvious path of daily practice and determination. I'm gonna be on these things every night for the forseeable future.

Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

I know that patience is a virtue. Was wondering if anyone had any pointers other than the obvious path of daily practice and determination. I'm gonna be on these things every night for the forseeable future.
    Alright, I'm assuming that you are right-handed (as am I). When I first started out, I had a bit of difficulty separating my left side from my right rhythmically, and most certainly getting my right foot to play along between the two.

Here's something for you to try: Rather than even thinking about your ride cymbal, play your bass drum figure on your lowest floor tom, while snapping out your time with the left on the snare. Play something simple, such as Queen's "We Will Rock You" to get started. As you grow comfortable with this, using your right foot on the bass drum pedal, duplicate what you are playing with your right hand, playing both simultaneously.

Yes, it will look and sound quite stupid. That is not the point. What you are doing in essence is "training" your foot to carry the time. Once you get this to a workable routine, try using your right hand on the ride cymbal, again repeating what your foot is doing. As you grow in confidence, try filling in the open spaces on the ride cymbal with a steady beat, yet maintaining the "open" timing on the bass drum.

Yeah, it's a slow and frustrating process. Yet keep at it...you'll get it. Lemme know if this helps you in any way, as it worked for me.

Good luck.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Hell-LOW Baay-BAY!!
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member

Donor

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!150,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da RoundtableWell-LikedPic Poster

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    Alright, I'm assuming that you are right-handed (as am I). When I first started out, I had a bit of difficulty separating my left side from my right rhythmically, and most certainly getting my right foot to play along between the two.

Here's something for you to try: Rather than even thinking about your ride cymbal, play your bass drum figure on your lowest floor tom, while snapping out your time with the left on the snare. Play something simple, such as Queen's "We Will Rock You" to get started. As you grow comfortable with this, using your right foot on the bass drum pedal, duplicate what you are playing with your right hand, playing both simultaneously.

Yes, it will look and sound quite stupid. That is not the point. What you are doing in essence is "training" your foot to carry the time. Once you get this to a workable routine, try using your right hand on the ride cymbal, again repeating what your foot is doing. As you grow in confidence, try filling in the open spaces on the ride cymbal with a steady beat, yet maintaining the "open" timing on the bass drum.

Yeah, it's a slow and frustrating process. Yet keep at it...you'll get it. Lemme know if this helps you in any way, as it worked for me.

Good luck.

Actually, I am left-handed.....which should make your suggestion all that much easier.
    Danke Schoen!

Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Actually, I am left-handed.....which should make your suggestion all that much easier.
    Danke Schoen!
    I don't know why this did not occur to me at the time I was posting last, yet if you can locate them, try to find a copy of "Heartbreaker" by Pat Benatar, or "Rock And Roll All Night" by KISS. Both of these tunes feature a variation of the "Floor Tom As Ride Cymbal"-trick I was describing on their intro's, and are well worth a listen.

About the best records a starting drummer can play to are the early KISS albums, for their simplicity. And think of this: If you start to get bored playing along after a couple of days, it can only mean that you are improving, which after all is the entire point!

By the way, here is a rather interesting "tutorial-type" clip featuring Jason Bonham, that all drummers (regardless of skill) and just about any musician can find interesting.

Jason Bonham (4:00)
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Hot For Teacher

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

=VH= II
    Last Online

06.10.21 @ 08:43 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable75,000 VHL Life Points

Hey good luck with those kick exercises and upcoming gig Scum!
    I enjoy listening to John Bonham studio takes like this one:
    And part II here is a good exercise that can really help your kick timing, and fill work:

Well fellas. I did it. Going all out and put a few hundred $$ down on a new Pearl Vision VLX this week.
    Will have it in the next 60 days. I'm goin with the black fade wood grain shown here.

Added the double kick pedal and an additional china crash and splash.
    Got the whole package, including high quality throne, for $1700.
    I've always played Zildjian cymbals, but I'm going with Sabian now. I like the Sabian dark tone and gonna give them a try.

Can't wait. Great quality drums. A step up from my old Tama Rockstar DX kit that I played for so many years.

Last edited by Wruff_ajax; 02.13.08 at 06:08 PM.
    ☩ ☩ ☩

Hot For Teacher

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

=VH= II
    Last Online

06.10.21 @ 08:43 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable75,000 VHL Life Points

I wanted desperately to play along with something fairly basic, so out of my music library I chose "Sweet Home Chicago" and the Stones' "Almost Hear You Sigh". I was content with the results, but obviously I want to get better - like NOW.

Laying a blueprint for basic coordination is well heard in AC/DC, and like Chef said Kiss.. and stuff.

Phil Rudd was simply great on all those AC/DC records all those years. Highway to Hell is perfect example. !!
    Playing a simple beat for extended sessions will burn it into your head and build from there.
    Last edited by Wruff_ajax; 02.13.08 at 07:02 PM.
    ☩ ☩ ☩

Hell-LOW Baay-BAY!!
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member

Donor

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post

Dude, this is working! I feel a definite sense of progress here. Hopefully I'll have something recorded and posted by this weekend.

Hell-LOW Baay-BAY!!
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member

Donor

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by Wruff_ajax View Post
    Playing a simple beat for extended sessions will burn it into your head and build from there.
    I'm finding out. It's fucking wonderful!!

Hell-LOW Baay-BAY!!
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member

Donor

Achievements:

Here's my attempt to complete a full song with the still-yet-to-be-mastered kick pedal. As much as I love this song, it's got some echoey qualities that always seem to kick my timing off by about a quarter of a second. I really screw the pooch at the end.

Practice continues......
    Last edited by LLFHS; 02.23.08 at 03:11 PM.

Hot For Teacher

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Danke Schoen!
    i'm right handed but play drums left-handed. I can't wait to get a new set...i've got my eye on this awesome gretsch set, 26" kick drum...just gorgeous...i'll take a turn behind the set at TLW if allowed!

Hell-LOW Baay-BAY!!
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member

Donor

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    i'm right handed but play drums left-handed. I can't wait to get a new set...i've got my eye on this awesome gretsch set, 26" kick drum...just gorgeous...i'll take a turn behind the set at TLW if allowed!
    It won't be my kit at TLW, but Filthy's - however........
    Anyone who thinks I'm gonna spend all my time behind the kit at TLW4 is loco! Please do, man!

Hell-LOW Baay-BAY!!
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member

Donor

Achievements:

Got some more practice in today....

Bullethead

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

06.12.21 @ 01:29 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    5,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard

My drummer tried to stab my bassist today

Besides that, I've learned a beat. Drumming is pretty fun.