Robbes and canned engineer
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Likes Likes:  0
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Eruption

    Join Date
    09.05.03
    Posts
    291
    Posts Per Day
    0.05
    Last Online

    06.27.12 @ 08:59 AM
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    0

    Default Robbes and canned engineer

    Ed was always talking about some dude Robbes when he did interviews for the "3" album. I think he was an engineer for the album...what the hell happened to him?

    Also, who was the engineer that lived in Eddie's guest house that he fired before the recording of "BOBW?"

  2. #2
    Take Your Whiskey Home

    Join Date
    09.15.06
    Age
    45
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    6,568
    Posts Per Day
    1.24
    Last Online

    07.04.16 @ 09:03 PM
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cooler5150 View Post
    Ed was always talking about some dude Robbes when he did interviews for the "3" album. I think he was an engineer for the album...what the hell happened to him?

    Also, who was the engineer that lived in Eddie's guest house that he fired before the recording of "BOBW?"
    Robbes Steiglitz was brought in during the III sessions after Erwin Musper quit/was fired. Robbes helped finish recording and mix and stayed on during the follow up sessions for the second Cherone album. I think he was the guy that lived in Eddie's guest house and who was on salary.

  3. #3
    Eruption

    Join Date
    09.05.03
    Posts
    291
    Posts Per Day
    0.05
    Last Online

    06.27.12 @ 08:59 AM
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas.net View Post
    Robbes Steiglitz was brought in during the III sessions after Erwin Musper quit/was fired. Robbes helped finish recording and mix and stayed on during the follow up sessions for the second Cherone album. I think he was the guy that lived in Eddie's guest house and who was on salary.

    I can't figure out why they would fire Musper, or make things so bad for him he would quit? I think he did a great job on BOV1, and I think he worked on "Balance" too, which also had a great sound.

    Another example of Ed making bad decisions. People think just because Eddie is sobering up, he will suddenly make all the right moves. Not necessarily the case. I think he was pretty much dry for the "3" sessions. Makes you wonder if Robbes was so bad either, or Ed just made another bad move firing him.

    Unfortunately, I think Ed is a guy, sober or not, that needs management in the studio. Every success he has had, there was somebody there "in charge." Templeman, Landee, Fairbairn, Ballard...the list goes on. When Ed is left on his own, or in charge, we get "3," or the new tracks on "BOBW."

  4. #4
    The Full Bug
    vhrocker's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.18.06
    Age
    49
    Location
    "Mean Street", Oklahoma
    Posts
    2,197
    Posts Per Day
    0.40
    Favorite VH Album

    The one I'm listenin' to.
    Favorite VH Song

    Can't pick just one
    Last Online

    01.21.15 @ 09:57 AM
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cooler5150 View Post
    I can't figure out why they would fire Musper, or make things so bad for him he would quit? I think he did a great job on BOV1, and I think he worked on "Balance" too, which also had a great sound.

    Another example of Ed making bad decisions. People think just because Eddie is sobering up, he will suddenly make all the right moves. Not necessarily the case. I think he was pretty much dry for the "3" sessions. Makes you wonder if Robbes was so bad either, or Ed just made another bad move firing him.

    Unfortunately, I think Ed is a guy, sober or not, that needs management in the studio. Every success he has had, there was somebody there "in charge." Templeman, Landee, Fairbairn, Ballard...the list goes on. When Ed is left on his own, or in charge, we get "3," or the new tracks on "BOBW."
    And then Eddie fires Mickey.
    ALEX IS GOD!!!

    I've been doin' this for 'bout 20 years now, and I'll tell ya, to this day I still don't know the right drumstick from the left drumstick -Alex Van Halen


  5. #5
    Take Your Whiskey Home

    Join Date
    09.15.06
    Age
    45
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    6,568
    Posts Per Day
    1.24
    Last Online

    07.04.16 @ 09:03 PM
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vhrocker View Post
    And then Eddie fires Mickey.
    Oh Mickey you're so fine
    You're so fine you blow my mind
    Hey Mickey

    Or is it Mikey?

  6. #6
    Take Your Whiskey Home

    Join Date
    09.15.06
    Age
    45
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    6,568
    Posts Per Day
    1.24
    Last Online

    07.04.16 @ 09:03 PM
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cooler5150 View Post
    I can't figure out why they would fire Musper, or make things so bad for him he would quit? I think he did a great job on BOV1, and I think he worked on "Balance" too, which also had a great sound.

    Another example of Ed making bad decisions. People think just because Eddie is sobering up, he will suddenly make all the right moves. Not necessarily the case. I think he was pretty much dry for the "3" sessions. Makes you wonder if Robbes was so bad either, or Ed just made another bad move firing him.

    Unfortunately, I think Ed is a guy, sober or not, that needs management in the studio. Every success he has had, there was somebody there "in charge." Templeman, Landee, Fairbairn, Ballard...the list goes on. When Ed is left on his own, or in charge, we get "3," or the new tracks on "BOBW."
    Well we don't know if Musper was fired or quit necessarily; he was credited as having engineered III, and Robbes and Eddie were credited for "mixed and fixed." I heard from someone who knew Robbes that the project was a big mess when he stepped in. Musper may have left out of frustration of the lack of organization (Mike Post really wasn't around much), or it could be that the album was "done," and his job of engineering was complete. My guess: He left. I'd be curious to hear what he'd have to say about it, though.

  7. #7
    Light Up The Sky

    Join Date
    01.29.02
    Age
    52
    Location
    somewhere over the rainbow
    Posts
    22,994
    Posts Per Day
    3.30
    Last Online

    01.02.20 @ 05:20 PM
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    1
    Thanks (Given)
    591
    Thanks (Received)
    1042

    Default

    The Inside: What are your thoughts on Van Halen 3 and Gary Cherone's stint with Van Halen?

    MP: I didn't like it, sonically or musically. I hoped they would get Dave back in 1996. From an engineering standpoint, my friend Robbes Stieglitz said it was quite a mess when they called him in to work on the album.

    http://www.vhlinks.com/pages/intervi...sc/tisu002.php
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

  8. #8
    Take Your Whiskey Home

    Join Date
    09.15.06
    Age
    45
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    6,568
    Posts Per Day
    1.24
    Last Online

    07.04.16 @ 09:03 PM
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post
    The Inside: What are your thoughts on Van Halen 3 and Gary Cherone's stint with Van Halen?

    MP: I didn't like it, sonically or musically. I hoped they would get Dave back in 1996. From an engineering standpoint, my friend Robbes Stieglitz said it was quite a mess when they called him in to work on the album.

    http://www.vhlinks.com/pages/intervi...sc/tisu002.php
    That was the Mike Plotnikoff interview (second engineer on Balance)? Wow... he wasn't who I was talking about. I guess it really was a mess.

  9. #9
    Top Of The World
    Mikey Metalhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.25.00
    Age
    56
    Location
    Tx
    Posts
    4,117
    Posts Per Day
    0.53
    Favorite VH Album

    wACF
    Favorite VH Song

    Romeo delight
    Last Online

    03.06.21 @ 08:42 AM
    Likes (Given)
    1
    Likes (Received)
    43
    Thanks (Given)
    5
    Thanks (Received)
    32


    Donor

    Achievements:
    VHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsThee KingPic Poster

    Default

    quit/was fired

    that phrase gets used a lot with the VH brothers.
    I SURVIVED TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND I, II, III, IV and VI and VII.barely made it to VIII time to slow down
    I musta had a broken middle finger for V
    http://www.youtube.com/user/daneph

  10. #10
    Light Up The Sky
    MF5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.05.04
    Age
    32
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    20,193
    Posts Per Day
    3.30
    Favorite VH Album

    Whatever Brett says.
    Favorite VH Song

    None. Because I hate VH.
    Last Online

    Yesterday @ 08:59 PM
    Likes (Given)
    1223
    Likes (Received)
    949
    Thanks (Given)
    1201
    Thanks (Received)
    1150

    Achievements:
    Master PraiserElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da RoundtableSupremely-Liked75,000 VHL Life Points

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cooler5150 View Post
    I can't figure out why they would fire Musper, or make things so bad for him he would quit? I think he did a great job on BOV1, and I think he worked on "Balance" too, which also had a great sound.

    Another example of Ed making bad decisions. People think just because Eddie is sobering up, he will suddenly make all the right moves. Not necessarily the case. I think he was pretty much dry for the "3" sessions. Makes you wonder if Robbes was so bad either, or Ed just made another bad move firing him.

    Unfortunately, I think Ed is a guy, sober or not, that needs management in the studio. Every success he has had, there was somebody there "in charge." Templeman, Landee, Fairbairn, Ballard...the list goes on. When Ed is left on his own, or in charge, we get "3," or the new tracks on "BOBW."
    Glen Ballard produced the 3 new tracks on BOBW did he not? He did help with the re mastering though I know that.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

  11. #11
    Eruption
    snare812's Avatar
    Join Date
    08.19.03
    Age
    47
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    290
    Posts Per Day
    0.05
    Favorite VH Album

    OU812
    Favorite VH Song

    Too many
    Last Online

    01.24.21 @ 11:01 AM
    Likes (Given)
    5
    Likes (Received)
    3
    Thanks (Given)
    35
    Thanks (Received)
    8

    Achievements:
    15,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

    Default

    I have a friend here who is good friends with eddie shryer who mastered the record and he told my friend that III was a messand that Robbes got involved toward the middle or end of the recording.


    I still love the record...it's such a masterpeice of disaster.


    carry on

  12. #12
    Eruption

    Join Date
    09.05.03
    Posts
    291
    Posts Per Day
    0.05
    Last Online

    06.27.12 @ 08:59 AM
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EvH_316_5150 View Post
    Glen Ballard produced the 3 new tracks on BOBW did he not? He did help with the re mastering though I know that.
    Not sure if Ballard was there for the writing/recording process of those three "not so classic" tunes. I think I remember reading somewhere he was more a part of the remastering, like you said.

    And he did a great job with the band on "BOV 1," those two new songs were good ones.

  13. #13
    Take Your Whiskey Home

    Join Date
    09.15.06
    Age
    45
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    6,568
    Posts Per Day
    1.24
    Last Online

    07.04.16 @ 09:03 PM
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    1

    Default

    Ballard was the one who encouraged Eddie to produce VH on his own. (He did so after having to bail on producing III because he had an obligation to Alanis Morisette.)

  14. #14
    Bullethead
    coyote's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.02.02
    Location
    Mesa, AZ
    Posts
    464
    Posts Per Day
    0.07
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

    I'm the One
    Last Online

    Yesterday @ 09:43 PM
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    4
    Thanks (Given)
    166
    Thanks (Received)
    15

    Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserVHLinks Proud!15,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas.net View Post
    Ballard was the one who encouraged Eddie to produce VH on his own. (He did so after having to bail on producing III because he had an obligation to Alanis Morisette.)
    I'd have bailed to work with Alanis as well. Didn't he get co-writing credit with her as well as the production points? Alanis was everywhere at that time and he made a dumptruck full of money off of that I'm sure.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Mike Getting Canned!
    By Otis5150 in forum Mad Anthony
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 10.06.07, 10:14 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •