Are you Happy with this?
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Likes Likes:  0

View Poll Results: Chose one.

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • VH should have been first ballot HOF!

    18 24.32%
  • Screw the Hall......who cares!!

    13 17.57%
  • I'm just happy to see the boys get their day!!

    31 41.89%
  • This is the dumbest thread I've ever seen!

    12 16.22%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25
  1. #1
    Banned!
    againstthewind's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.16.05
    Location
    Fishing is therapy, I'm in therapy!!
    Posts
    962
    Posts Per Day
    0.17
    Last Online

    05.18.07 @ 09:31 PM
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    0


    Donor

    Default Are you Happy with this?

    I know we are all happy the boys are finally in the hall. Do you still think it is BS that they didn't get in on the first ballot, or are you just happy enough to seem them given their due....finally? Personally, if VH aren't first ballot Hall of Famers....I don't know who is. Or are there some out there who still say F the rock hall period, and it doesn't matter....personally I'm gald to see the fellas get their day in the spotlight, much deserved, but let's hope it doesn't turn into a train wreck. Poll to come.

  2. #2
    Hot For Teacher
    Lodewijk's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.15.03
    Age
    51
    Location
    Spring, TX.
    Posts
    13,543
    Posts Per Day
    2.05
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    She's The Woman, Mean Street
    Last Online

    05.21.17 @ 07:59 AM
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0
    Thanks (Given)
    3
    Thanks (Received)
    33


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by againstthewind View Post
    I know we are all happy the boys are finally in the hall. Do you still think it is BS that they didn't get in on the first ballot, or are you just happy enough to seem them given their due....finally? Personally, if VH aren't first ballot Hall of Famers....I don't know who is. Or are there some out there who still say F the rock hall period, and it doesn't matter....personally I'm gald to see the fellas get their day in the spotlight, much deserved, but let's hope it doesn't turn into a train wreck. Poll to come.

    Yes I believe they could have been a legit first ballot hall of famer.....they dug their own grave a little with all the drama and dysfunction..so it hasn't surprised me.
    I'm glad they're in, and I'm happy it didn't go on any longer..........besides, I didn't want to make another trip to Cleveland to complain !
    Lode's Facebook
    @Lode13 on Twitter

  3. #3
    Take Your Whiskey Home
    mistere's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.31.02
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    5,364
    Posts Per Day
    0.78
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Women Down
    Favorite VH Song

    Chicken Feet for Breakfast
    Last Online

    07.11.09 @ 04:27 AM
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    1

    Default

    I think it's funny how many here bitched about what a POS the HOF was
    until VH is finally inducted and now they're tripping over themsleves with
    what it all means and how significant it all is, yada, yada, yada...
    Are these the same people who overlook Sam's terrible lyrics b/c
    it's 'all about the Edward, man', and then turn around and protest b/c
    Mikey likely won't be contributing his aweswome background vocals
    to the next incarnation? Probably.

    Personally, the induction means nothing to me. It is only interesting in as
    much as it means 'some' activity for the 'band' on the horizon. Frankly, I
    woulda had more respect if they had followed Lydon's lead and told the Hall
    to "Fuck Off." But these guys aren't punks (atomic or otherwise) and that
    would be expecting too much and may have blown the latest last best
    chance to get Ed and Dave on the same stage together again.

    The soap opera continues.

  4. #4
    Banned!
    againstthewind's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.16.05
    Location
    Fishing is therapy, I'm in therapy!!
    Posts
    962
    Posts Per Day
    0.17
    Last Online

    05.18.07 @ 09:31 PM
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    0


    Donor

    Default

    Mistere I agree with you. It is amazing how many folk (myself included) were saying F the hall, and now are digging it. Personally, I am looking forward to seeing "our" band having their moment on stage for the whole world to see. It could be great stuff, with great stories, and great music to follow...if they treat each other with the respect they all deserve. Hope.

  5. #5
    Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    FORD's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.26.00
    Age
    54
    Location
    The Mighty Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    7,807
    Posts Per Day
    1.01
    Favorite VH Album

    All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained
    Last Online

    11.06.20 @ 12:00 AM
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    3

    Achievements:
    25,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

    Default

    There's a pattern with bands that have turned themselves into either jokes or soap operas with revolving door membership not getting into the Hall of Fame. Even bands with two obviously distinct and separate existences aren't nominated when they should be. Black Sabbath's day came years too late, and while half their fan base would argue for a Ronnie James Dio induction, nobody would expect recognition of all the half assed albums which Tony Iommi released under the Black Sabbath name between 1986 and 1995 (the 1992 Dio led "Dehumanizer" being an exception). In my most humble opinion, Dio is deserving of induction as much as Sammy Hagar or Brian Johnson are.

    But then you take Genesis. Like Van Halen/Van Hagar this was a case of two entirely different bands who happenned to release albums under the same name. One innovative and influential, and the other a commercial hitmaker. Yet they haven't been nominated yet. Probably a question of whether one or both lineups deserve it. Though in their case, there wasn't a Hagar/Dio/Johnson to debate over, since Phil Collins was already in the band when Peter Gabriel was singing.

    Then you come to a band like Yes, or Deep Purple. How do you induct 128 different people as a band, for fucks sake? It's easier with Purple. Just induct the classic configuration. The one which recorded Machine Head and reunited to do two albums in the 80's. Maybe add the original singer Rod Evans, because "Hush" and "Kentucky Woman" were legitimate hits. This is probably why Lynyrd Skynyrd's induction was delayed, because the REAL band certainly deserved the honor, but the tribute band leeching off their name did not.

    Yes is a little more complicated. Do you induct the classic early 70's lineup AND the 90125 version? And then exclude all that was in between? My guess is this is why bands like this, while deserving, are ignored. KISS fits this category as well. Their actual musical talents are debatable, but their contribution to the world of live performance cannot be ignored.

    Bottom line is that the standards, whatever they are determined to be, should be consistent.
    Eat Us And Smile

    Welcome back, Van HALEN!!!!

    ...It's the BAND and Dave is really the cat that can front VH. He sang his ASS off and was really cool. No cheese here guys, this is filet Mignon! - Steve Lukather's comment after witnessing a Van HALEN 2007 rehearsal

    "What then is this bleating of sheep in my ears?"- 1 Samuel 15:14

  6. #6
    Runnin' With The Devil
    EVHWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    09.13.01
    Location
    Philadelphia (now in Portland, ME)
    Posts
    1,376
    Posts Per Day
    0.19
    Favorite VH Album

    VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

    ATBL, ITO, SN, HB
    Last Online

    03.05.21 @ 07:54 AM
    Likes (Given)
    1
    Likes (Received)
    116
    Thanks (Given)
    9
    Thanks (Received)
    120


    Premium Member

    Donor

    Achievements:
    Well-LikedVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable50,000 VHL Life Points

    Default

    I still think the hall is a POS. Too many acts left out. I think it is nice the VH is getting in, but I still say fuck the place. I do think that they would have been first ballot if they had a singer in place.
    Rest in Peace Edward Van Halen

  7. #7
    Take Your Whiskey Home

    Join Date
    09.15.06
    Age
    45
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    6,568
    Posts Per Day
    1.24
    Last Online

    07.04.16 @ 09:03 PM
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    1

    Default

    The dysfunction, for all the pissing off it does for us diehard fans, is still very rock and roll. And VH's first album alone would have changed the way rock was played forever. So it could be almost argued that, had the band not existed after VH1, they still should have been inducted. However, EVH and the band kept reinventing themselves, album-to-album, song-to-song. They had tons of hits, toured very successfully for 21 years, and survived and thrived through a lead-singer transplant. They long met all the requirements for induction as of the 25 year mark. But the RRHoF is a politcial fuckfest, so for one reason or another they didn't make it until this year. We knew they would get there eventually.

    I think the RRHoF bashers-turned-praisers are just folks who are happy to see their favorite band "legitimized." We like the official honor.

  8. #8
    The Full Bug
    KRAMER5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    04.07.04
    Age
    49
    Location
    NASHVILLE,TN
    Posts
    1,823
    Posts Per Day
    0.30
    Favorite VH Album

    VH II
    Favorite VH Song

    D.O.A.
    Last Online

    02.03.21 @ 05:21 AM
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    7
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    71

    Achievements:
    15,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas.net View Post
    I think the RRHoF bashers-turned-praisers are just folks who are happy to see their favorite band "legitimized." We like the official honor.
    exactly,i'm glad they are finaly get'n their time but will probally be a train wreck
    I used to wonder why he was grinning all the time(Michael Ian Black talkin about EVH on VH1 I love the 80's) but then i realized the reason he's grinning is because he's Eddie F*#king Van Halen

  9. #9
    Everybody Wants Some!!
    Van Squalen's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.21.03
    Posts
    30,695
    Posts Per Day
    4.88
    Last Online

    02.23.21 @ 05:17 PM
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    257
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    5115


    Donor

    Achievements:
    Supremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!75,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mistere View Post
    I think it's funny how many here bitched about what a POS the HOF was
    until VH is finally inducted and now they're tripping over themsleves with
    what it all means and how significant it all is, yada, yada, yada...
    Are these the same people who overlook Sam's terrible lyrics b/c
    it's 'all about the Edward, man', and then turn around and protest b/c
    Mikey likely won't be contributing his aweswome background vocals
    to the next incarnation? Probably.
    Here is a man who has not caved to bandwagon flip flopping. Bravo.

  10. #10
    5150
    abcrazy1's Avatar
    Join Date
    11.16.03
    Posts
    516
    Posts Per Day
    0.08
    Last Online

    08.02.10 @ 09:01 PM
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mistere View Post
    I think it's funny how many here bitched about what a POS the HOF was
    until VH is finally inducted and now they're tripping over themsleves with
    what it all means and how significant it all is, yada, yada, yada....
    That's because the RRHOF is insignificant. And it shall remain as such, UNTIL the induction ceremonies of 2007.

    Questions?
    BACK FROM IRAQ!
    OIF II SEPT 17, 2004 -APR 30, 2005

  11. #11
    Banned!
    againstthewind's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.16.05
    Location
    Fishing is therapy, I'm in therapy!!
    Posts
    962
    Posts Per Day
    0.17
    Last Online

    05.18.07 @ 09:31 PM
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    0


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    There's a pattern with bands that have turned themselves into either jokes or soap operas with revolving door membership not getting into the Hall of Fame. Even bands with two obviously distinct and separate existences aren't nominated when they should be. Black Sabbath's day came years too late, and while half their fan base would argue for a Ronnie James Dio induction, nobody would expect recognition of all the half assed albums which Tony Iommi released under the Black Sabbath name between 1986 and 1995 (the 1992 Dio led "Dehumanizer" being an exception). In my most humble opinion, Dio is deserving of induction as much as Sammy Hagar or Brian Johnson are.

    But then you take Genesis. Like Van Halen/Van Hagar this was a case of two entirely different bands who happenned to release albums under the same name. One innovative and influential, and the other a commercial hitmaker. Yet they haven't been nominated yet. Probably a question of whether one or both lineups deserve it. Though in their case, there wasn't a Hagar/Dio/Johnson to debate over, since Phil Collins was already in the band when Peter Gabriel was singing.

    Then you come to a band like Yes, or Deep Purple. How do you induct 128 different people as a band, for fucks sake? It's easier with Purple. Just induct the classic configuration. The one which recorded Machine Head and reunited to do two albums in the 80's. Maybe add the original singer Rod Evans, because "Hush" and "Kentucky Woman" were legitimate hits. This is probably why Lynyrd Skynyrd's induction was delayed, because the REAL band certainly deserved the honor, but the tribute band leeching off their name did not.

    Yes is a little more complicated. Do you induct the classic early 70's lineup AND the 90125 version? And then exclude all that was in between? My guess is this is why bands like this, while deserving, are ignored. KISS fits this category as well. Their actual musical talents are debatable, but their contribution to the world of live performance cannot be ignored.

    Bottom line is that the standards, whatever they are determined to be, should be consistent.
    Solid points. Kiss is a no brainer I would think to everyone, yes the musical talent comes into play, but when you have sold as many albums as they have...I think the people have spoken. But as far as the Rock Hall and their politics go, it is all BS. I have heard some people say that VH have been left out to this point because the five weren't getting along, and the hall would like a nice little bow attached to the whole evening. Complete Bs....if they get along or not has nothing to do with whether they belong or not...it's all about the music... and the performance they have put out over the years!!

  12. #12
    Hot For Teacher
    Lodewijk's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.15.03
    Age
    51
    Location
    Spring, TX.
    Posts
    13,543
    Posts Per Day
    2.05
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    She's The Woman, Mean Street
    Last Online

    05.21.17 @ 07:59 AM
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0
    Thanks (Given)
    3
    Thanks (Received)
    33


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by againstthewind View Post
    Solid points. Kiss is a no brainer I would think to everyone, yes the musical talent comes into play, but when you have sold as many albums as they have...I think the people have spoken. But as far as the Rock Hall and their politics go, it is all BS. I have heard some people say that VH have been left out to this point because the five weren't getting along, and the hall would like a nice little bow attached to the whole evening. Complete Bs....if they get along or not has nothing to do with whether they belong or not...it's all about the music... and the performance they have put out over the years!!


    But when you're talking about a committee of people, agenda's and differing personal criteria are to be expected........whether you're voting for a hall of fame, Academy Award, Pulitzer Prize, or sports MVP award....
    Lode's Facebook
    @Lode13 on Twitter

  13. #13
    Banned!
    againstthewind's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.16.05
    Location
    Fishing is therapy, I'm in therapy!!
    Posts
    962
    Posts Per Day
    0.17
    Last Online

    05.18.07 @ 09:31 PM
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    0


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lodewijk View Post
    But when you're talking about a committee of people, agenda's and differing personal criteria are to be expected........whether you're voting for a hall of fame, Academy Award, Pulitzer Prize, or sports MVP award....
    Ah you're from Colombus...what the hell do you know!!



    Just joking Lode.....as Sam Jackson or Pitt said in Pulp Fiction...That's an interesting point. But it is still a shame that politics get in the way.

  14. #14
    Eruption
    VanFreakinHalen's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.17.02
    Location
    Edwardsburg, MI
    Posts
    162
    Posts Per Day
    0.02
    Favorite VH Album

    5150/Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

    Panama/Unchained
    Last Online

    12.04.16 @ 08:31 AM
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    0

    Default True

    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    There's a pattern with bands that have turned themselves into either jokes or soap operas with revolving door membership not getting into the Hall of Fame. Even bands with two obviously distinct and separate existences aren't nominated when they should be. Black Sabbath's day came years too late, and while half their fan base would argue for a Ronnie James Dio induction, nobody would expect recognition of all the half assed albums which Tony Iommi released under the Black Sabbath name between 1986 and 1995 (the 1992 Dio led "Dehumanizer" being an exception). In my most humble opinion, Dio is deserving of induction as much as Sammy Hagar or Brian Johnson are.

    But then you take Genesis. Like Van Halen/Van Hagar this was a case of two entirely different bands who happenned to release albums under the same name. One innovative and influential, and the other a commercial hitmaker. Yet they haven't been nominated yet. Probably a question of whether one or both lineups deserve it. Though in their case, there wasn't a Hagar/Dio/Johnson to debate over, since Phil Collins was already in the band when Peter Gabriel was singing.

    Then you come to a band like Yes, or Deep Purple. How do you induct 128 different people as a band, for fucks sake? It's easier with Purple. Just induct the classic configuration. The one which recorded Machine Head and reunited to do two albums in the 80's. Maybe add the original singer Rod Evans, because "Hush" and "Kentucky Woman" were legitimate hits. This is probably why Lynyrd Skynyrd's induction was delayed, because the REAL band certainly deserved the honor, but the tribute band leeching off their name did not.

    Yes is a little more complicated. Do you induct the classic early 70's lineup AND the 90125 version? And then exclude all that was in between? My guess is this is why bands like this, while deserving, are ignored. KISS fits this category as well. Their actual musical talents are debatable, but their contribution to the world of live performance cannot be ignored.

    Bottom line is that the standards, whatever they are determined to be, should be consistent.

    These are good points. But, I'm not sure if Dio should have been inducted.
    "Thank you, Drive Through!"

  15. #15
    Big Bad Bill

    Join Date
    03.09.04
    Age
    42
    Location
    Bloomington, IL
    Posts
    1,099
    Posts Per Day
    0.18
    Favorite VH Album

    5150, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

    Dreams
    Last Online

    10.03.13 @ 11:13 AM
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    0

    Default

    The RRHOF is dogshit as far as who gets in, who doesn't, why and when. Van Halen epitomizes this. There is absolutely, positively NO reason they should not have been inducted the first year. None whatsoever. I always say about HOF's, if you can make a solid argument that the player (or group) was the best at what they did in their era, they should be voted in the first ballot eligible. Art Monk and Thurman Thomas in football prove this point nicely, and also prove there are douchebags in every HOF. I believe there is only 1 punter in the football HOF as well.

    I do hear it is a great place to visit, though, and wouldn't mind doing that myself as I drive through Cleveland twice a year and have never been there.
    Go Bills and Sabres!

    We're NOT Lawyers! www.werenotlawyers.com

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Happy MLK Day
    By Ikeda in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01.22.03, 10:40 PM
  2. Never Happy
    By captainjy in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 12.11.02, 04:10 PM
  3. Happy Tax Day
    By Fabulous Shadow aka VHL in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04.15.02, 11:29 AM
  4. Happy Happy birthday Top Timmy
    By babybird in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 04.08.02, 04:12 PM
  5. Happy B-day to me
    By Alchemy in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05.02.01, 01:52 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •