What order were the new tracks from BOBW recorded in?
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Likes Likes:  0
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Hot For Teacher
    Bad to the Bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.05.02
    Age
    48
    Location
    Detroit MI
    Posts
    10,568
    Posts Per Day
    1.50
    Favorite VH Album

    FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

    Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

    06.11.21 @ 03:34 AM
    Likes (Given)
    453
    Likes (Received)
    297
    Thanks (Given)
    1702
    Thanks (Received)
    1898

    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-Liked50,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

    Default What order were the new tracks from BOBW recorded in?

    I'm pretty sure it went:

    LTS
    IAT
    UFB

    but I'm not sure about the first 2. If it went as listed above I find it curious that most people tend to think that LTS is the best of the 3. I wonder how much Sam and Ed's relationship broke down during this time. Sam seems to indicate in the melodicrock interview he did that it was not good in the studio....

  2. #2
    Take Your Whiskey Home

    Join Date
    09.15.06
    Age
    45
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    6,568
    Posts Per Day
    1.22
    Last Online

    07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bad to the Bone View Post
    I'm pretty sure it went:

    LTS
    IAT
    UFB

    but I'm not sure about the first 2. If it went as listed above I find it curious that most people tend to think that LTS is the best of the 3. I wonder how much Sam and Ed's relationship broke down during this time. Sam seems to indicate in the melodicrock interview he did that it was not good in the studio....
    That order is correct.

  3. #3
    5150

    Join Date
    07.13.02
    Age
    47
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    660
    Posts Per Day
    0.10
    Last Online

    01.17.20 @ 06:35 PM
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    1
    Thanks (Given)
    40
    Thanks (Received)
    51

    Default

    to me learning to see seems to be the only song that had thought or prior working versions before hand. up for breakfast and its about time seem to have been rushed bigtime. they are the two worst van halen songs ever recorded in my opinion and they arent van halen. mike dont play on em, it aint halen. learning to see is a great song regardless. for shame on the greatest hits with new tracks thing. who do they think they are aerosmith? geez

  4. #4
    Take Your Whiskey Home

    Join Date
    09.15.06
    Age
    45
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    6,568
    Posts Per Day
    1.22
    Last Online

    07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RevolutionMan View Post
    to me learning to see seems to be the only song that had thought or prior working versions before hand. up for breakfast and its about time seem to have been rushed bigtime. they are the two worst van halen songs ever recorded in my opinion and they arent van halen. mike dont play on em, it aint halen. learning to see is a great song regardless. for shame on the greatest hits with new tracks thing. who do they think they are aerosmith? geez
    New songs on a greatest hits compilation is common practice now days; there has to be a "bonus" for people to buy something they may already have. For VH it was just because they tried to make a full album before the summer tour but were only able to get the three done.

    I think all of the songs were great, sans lyrics on "Up For Breakfast." The production and recording quality fell short for me a little, but that's my only real gripe.

  5. #5
    Hot For Teacher
    Bad to the Bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.05.02
    Age
    48
    Location
    Detroit MI
    Posts
    10,568
    Posts Per Day
    1.50
    Favorite VH Album

    FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

    Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

    06.11.21 @ 03:34 AM
    Likes (Given)
    453
    Likes (Received)
    297
    Thanks (Given)
    1702
    Thanks (Received)
    1898

    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-Liked50,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RevolutionMan View Post
    to me learning to see seems to be the only song that had thought or prior working versions before hand. up for breakfast and its about time seem to have been rushed bigtime. they are the two worst van halen songs ever recorded in my opinion and they arent van halen. mike dont play on em, it aint halen. learning to see is a great song regardless. for shame on the greatest hits with new tracks thing. who do they think they are aerosmith? geez

    I'll agree LTS is the best of that bunch, I think major issues started to show thier heads after they completed that song. Sam said he had another set of lyrics for UFB but Ed wanted it to be more like poundcake so sammy rewrote them.

    Anyway, if they could have continued working together like they did on LTS they probably could have got a couple of better songs out of those sessions.

  6. #6
    Take Your Whiskey Home

    Join Date
    09.15.06
    Age
    45
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    6,568
    Posts Per Day
    1.22
    Last Online

    07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bad to the Bone View Post
    I'll agree LTS is the best of that bunch, I think major issues started to show thier heads after they completed that song. Sam said he had another set of lyrics for UFB but Ed wanted it to be more like poundcake so sammy rewrote them.

    Anyway, if they could have continued working together like they did on LTS they probably could have got a couple of better songs out of those sessions.
    Was that how it went with UFB? I thought they were unhappy with what Sam did write for the song but he refused to change them.

    I'd hate to hear what Sam threw out.

  7. #7
    Bullethead

    Join Date
    05.02.05
    Posts
    395
    Posts Per Day
    0.07
    Last Online

    04.26.09 @ 10:15 AM
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    0

    Default

    What if it was totally different? If it is true, and Ed wanted something "tongue in cheek" like Poundcake, then maybe the original lyrics weren't "bad", just not what Ed wanted. I wouldn't mind hearing or reading them at least. Just a thought.....

  8. #8
    Runnin' With The Devil
    vistadelrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.02.05
    Age
    51
    Location
    US
    Posts
    1,411
    Posts Per Day
    0.25
    Favorite VH Album

    ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

    Blood & Fire
    Last Online

    03.13.13 @ 09:54 AM
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    2

    Default

    compare the cheesy sillyness of UFB to Trampeled Under Foot. A tounge and cheek type groove and lyrical arrangement doesn't have to always be pathetic as it was with UFB. Trampeled Undrer foot isn't obvious until you read the lyrics. it's beyond groovy and fresh. The secret is to disguise the premise a bit more. UP FOR BREAKFAST is just sooooo blatantly bad. It's embarrasing actually.
    If eddie were down and out on a sidewalk playing guitar I'd be next to him with a bottle and a blanky braving the cold. I would be sucking my thumb happily making chupa chupa noises in sync with the petroglyphic sounds that came from the mighty finger tips of Edward Van Halen.

  9. #9
    Take Your Whiskey Home

    Join Date
    09.15.06
    Age
    45
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    6,568
    Posts Per Day
    1.22
    Last Online

    07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vistadelrey View Post
    compare the cheesy sillyness of UFB to Trampeled Under Foot. A tounge and cheek type groove and lyrical arrangement doesn't have to always be pathetic as it was with UFB. Trampeled Undrer foot isn't obvious until you read the lyrics. it's beyond groovy and fresh. The secret is to disguise the premise a bit more. UP FOR BREAKFAST is just sooooo blatantly bad. It's embarrasing actually.
    Yeah, it is embarassing. Too bad, because the song is pretty good otherwise.

    Sammy actually wrote it about his wife's mother, who apparently makes tons of great food for breakfast. But the tone of it just takes on a weird sexual thing that weirds me out.

  10. #10
    Bullethead

    Join Date
    05.02.05
    Posts
    395
    Posts Per Day
    0.07
    Last Online

    04.26.09 @ 10:15 AM
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas.net View Post
    Yeah, it is embarassing. Too bad, because the song is pretty good otherwise.

    Sammy actually wrote it about his wife's mother, who apparently makes tons of great food for breakfast. But the tone of it just takes on a weird sexual thing that weirds me out.
    I always thought it was supposed to be sexual all along, so that would be weird.
    I don't think it's a masterpiece, but I don't personally qualify it as embarassing either, but I'm not that judgemental.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. VH DVD and CDs Best Of: the choice and the order of the tracks.
    By zsat777 in forum VH Songs/Albums/Videos
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05.07.06, 12:20 PM
  2. BoBW in National Ad (Best Buy)
    By ron in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 11.08.05, 01:06 PM
  3. BOBW question
    By Ain't Talkin' Bout' Love in forum VH Songs/Albums/Videos
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 08.07.05, 01:59 PM
  4. BoBW commercial
    By bullitt in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04.13.05, 09:37 PM
  5. BOBW Tab book
    By Phatie in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02.02.05, 12:57 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •