Favorite VH Song

Panama / Humans Being
    Last Online

12.11.19 @ 06:50 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

With the exception of the Sam and Dave tour, I always seem to leave a Hagar concert a little disappointed. Loop Fest was no different. I kept hearing he was going to play for 3 hours, and then he barely plays over 2. It seems like everytime he would start to get the momentum going, esp. in his Wabo set, he would follow it with filler, Like "Let Me Take You There" and "Rainy Day Woman 12 & 35". "The Girl Gets Around" was actually pretty good and "Rock Candy" and "Heavy Metal" are always welcome. I will say Sam's guitar playing was impressive and just 1 time would love to see him play guitar on a VH tune, like "Top of the World". I knows he plays the acoustic on "FWYS". Vic was solid as usual and I don't understand why some people rag on him. "The Other Half" were good, its always a treat to see Mikey out there jammin' and he seemed pretty lit up. I would say "Good Enough" was the highlight of the set. Eric Johnson on "FWYS" was cool. What happended to "5150", "Judgement Day" and "Humans Being"? I would of loved to have heard "Judgement Day". Why doesn't Sam and the Wabo's ever play "Cabo Wabo"? It just seemed like an all around short set with his band and the "Other Half". I liked the show, it just seemed like it could of been better.
    Last edited by Heavy Metal; 07.17.06 at 04:29 PM.
    Ever Onward
    Time Waits For No One
    Its Never To Late To Mend

Hot For Teacher

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Good Enough/Little Guitars
    Last Online

10.12.20 @ 08:47 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    25,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable
    Awards:
    The Promoter

I'll agree, we got gyped on the Other Half set. But I enjoyed what we got.
    In and out. I didn't even make that pun on purpose.

The Full Bug
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

1984/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

5150/Crossing Over
    Last Online

03.26.21 @ 06:50 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    15,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

I've got to agree with your review Heavy Metal.

It's hard to complain about the show when it cost less than $10 but it was really an average show. Sammy sounded great, the band was tight, the audience was into the show (Sammy said it there was 12,000 people and that sounded about right), but the problem for me really was the setlist.

I've been thinking about the subject of setlists and what songs artist feel they have to play and audience expectations. Bruce Springsteen played this same venue a couple weeks back on his "Seeger Seesions" tour. This was a number one album. He was only playing material from this record, little if any of his own material. Bruce is obivously an icon, still commercially viable, and has a rabid following. He drew less than 5,000, didn't fill up the pavillion in a venue that holds over 30,000. Part of this lies with the $100+ ticket price but many people just want to hear the hits.

So I understand Sammy playing One Way To Rock, Heavy Metal, 55. But I don't understand a two hour setlist with at least twenty minutes of filler (Waitress!, long intros, etc) also featuring three covers/mash ups. Rainy Day Women plods along just so the crowd can chant "Everybody Must Get Stoned". Sammy must have signed some deal with The Brothers to never perform Cabo Wabo because there is no other possible reason for Let Me Take You There to exist. Why would anyone want to see the Other Half with some roadie "rapping" Fight For Your Right To Party? Why does someone with such a deep catalog ignore it? Which leads me to The Other Half.

When the tour first started, I was excited. 5150, Judgement Day, Good Enough, he finally retired Eagles Fly, Sammy was finally living up to his promise to mix it up. The same promise he makes every tour (including the 2004 reunion tour). Then Summer Nights comes along. Was hearing Runnin' With The Devil cool? Hell yes! Good Enough and Summer Nights rocked, and it was great to hear the once in a lifetime moment of Eric Johnson going nuts on FWYS. But when they sell the show with The Other Half and only play seven VH tunes and no encores with twenty minutes left on the clock is a real letdown. No one in the lawn area I was thought it was over, then the house lights can up and a general "WTF, That's It?" vibe went throught the crowd.

As I was on my way home I was thinking about the times when concerts literally changed my life, leaving me entranced for days and weeks afterward. It's probably not fair to compair a Wabo's show to, say, VH on the OU812 tour playing 3/4ths of that record and a good chunck of 5150. But most bands/artists don't have kind of catalog Sammy has at his disposal and its kinda sad to see an average set when it could easily be spectacular.
    Last edited by DreamIsOver; 07.17.06 at 06:18 PM.
    The song ain't dirty
    It's really just the way we sing it

The Full Bug
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, 1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Today? Stay Frosty
    Last Online

03.10.21 @ 07:47 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Donor

Achievements:
    VHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

I thought of possible explanations as to why the other 1/2 setlist got cut down to 8 tunes. Could it be because there was an opener (Eric Johnson)?
    Does he have opening acts at other venues?

The other reason is - the heat. It was real frickin hot. I wanted Sam to come out and do a two song encore...maybe Humans Being and another solo tune like Back Into You....now that would have really been changing it up...but as I was tellin' my wife...he's pushing 60 and maybe the man just got tired. It was 96 degrees even after the sun went down.

Whatever...I don't like making excuses...I was somewhat disappointed as well...I'm probably done with solo Sam for awhile...though based on hearing Mexico, I'm gonna buy his new album.
    The Barn Burned Down, Now I can See the Moon

I'm The One
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Sinner's Swing!/Little Guitars
    Last Online

06.13.16 @ 04:44 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by extreme red roth
    though based on hearing Mexico, I'm gonna buy his new album.
    Listen the album preview on Rhino Records' website and save your money!

The Full Bug

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Light Up The Sky
    Last Online

05.04.08 @ 05:05 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

I think Sammy always puts on a pretty solid show. He works the crowd, his band always sounds good, and there's always a feel good atmosphere at a Sammy show. That said, his show on Saturday night was nothing great, it was plain old stock. Don't get me wrong, Good Enough was sweet, and worth the $10 alone. And for as thrilled as I was/am that I got to hear Summer Nights, Vic absolutely butchered that tune. He played the intro so badly that if he hadn't said it was Summer Nights, I might not have known what tune it was until the end of the intro, AND they completely skipped the solo. They wasted our time with tired songs like 55 (which I know he has to play), FWYS (he always plays that), and BOBW (I can't think of a =VH= tune I could care less about hearing anymore, maybe with the exception of Panama). I went in thinking I was getting 5150, Judgement Day, Amsterdam...and Sam didn't deliver. He barely made it over 2 hrs, and he AND the loop were advertising a 2 hr 45 min set. And he WASTED our time w/a damn Beastie Boys song and had some white rapper come out that I don't think anyone has ever heard of.

Other than that, I had a good time. Couldn't beat the $10 ticket price either. I was just chilling and enjoying myself and basically, I just got my money's worth, but nothing more. Like someone else said, I think I'm done w/Sammy solo for a little while.
    "Rehab is for Quitters"

"It is not possible to have life after death since death is the end of life." -OV

"What doesnít kill you, will only make you pissed off!"
    -Alexi Laiho

"If I know I'm going crazy...I must not be insane." -Dave Mustaine

"Simpson, QUICK! Honk at that broad." -Mayor Quimby

Little Dreamer
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

08.06.06 @ 09:48 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Sammy and Loopfest

Well I managed to get stuck with my Loopfest tickets and decided to go afterall. I must say I wasnt impressed. Keeping everyone out of their seats till 40 minutes before Eric Johnsons set was kinda bullshit since it was f@cking blazing hot.I missed Off Broadway but Did catch the start of Beatallica, lame. Though Im more of a metal head and Eric Johnsons is far from that I still enjoyed his set. Kinda reminded me of an early Stevie Ray and the guy can play I gotta admit.Heres a camera phone pic of his set.

Sammys stage set was pretty awsome looking. He tryed to give the place a real party/beach kinda vibe which he kinda did. Though I thought the 80+ people he had stand on stage behind him was a little wierd.The music just didnt deliver. It was ok but it didnt have the balls it needed. The Red Rocker is getting old Im afraid. If he woulda threw a cover or 2 in there,say Diary of a Madman, the place woulda went nuts. I gotta give Jimi Hendricks Jr. credit though that boy can play.

Michael Anthony started the Other Halfs set with his bass solo which didnt impress me or anyone else in the least. More pounding and effects than imagination and playing ability. He looked pretty burnt out.

The whole thing was a less than average thing thrown together at the last minute,why Im not quite sure. Nice try Loop. Not! Heres one more shot , just to show the stage set.

Last edited by BradL.; 07.18.06 at 02:27 PM. Reason: sPELLING

Sinner's Swing!
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

04.08.21 @ 02:27 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    VHLinks Proud!15,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da RoundtablePadawan Praiser

I felt the same was as Brad L. I know setlists are a big thing on this site. I don't mind so much about setlist content, but pacing and where the songs fall are a big deal to a show. It seems to haunt Vh and their singer's solo jaunts in recent years. I just thought there was more flash than substance at LoopFest.

The setlist also was not in a good order to keep momentum. I was completely shocked by the lack of tunes. I always hear how Sammy shakes it up. I have seen him solo twice on Sam/Dave tour and twice just by himself. Even when I saw him with Van Halen his song selections haven't changed much. My friend commented that Sammy's monlogue and intro to FWYS hasn't changed since the late 90's. I also noticed Sammy is doing more crowd sing alongs on the hardcore faves like I55. He pulled a Vince Neil ala the crue reunion. He has been doing that for quite a few years now. He let's Mona, Vic and the crowd do the singing. I noticed he did that alot when he was signing autographs or trying to smash a pinata with his guitar.

I felt bad for guys like my friend the most-Big Sammy Hagar fans. I am a Dave guy. He is a Sammy guy. We had lawn seats and he felt a gyp. Every other monologue contained references to drinking it up, Mexico, and or Cabo Wabo. I was prepared albeit not in favor of such ramblings. My buddy was not. He said the show was a disappointment and that the whole thing; while as a promotion of fun, was like Ralphie in a Christmas Story. He said he felt like Ralphie when he received the Ovaltine decoder and it was a message about a commercial. My friend said the show like ralphie's message was nothing more than a commercial. At times I could not disagree.

I hope everyone had a good time though. It wasn't bad for a Saturday nite out. $9.79 for lawn and although the set was not bad it was pretty rocking. And at least Sammy is still touring.
    "Great Things Like This Only Happen For The First Time Once..." Gary Busey

Runnin' With The Devil
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

5150-Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

Today @ 12:19 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Well-LikedVHLinks Proud!15,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

The only thing to bitch about is why on earth do the drinks have to be SOOOOO expensive. I drink like a fish, but i have a limit what i will pay. I swear, if i had millions of dollars i still would not pay 10 dollars for a miller lite FUCK THAT

Bullethead
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

women and children first
    Favorite VH Song

humans being
    Last Online

02.10.12 @ 11:10 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Not to change the subject but where is my main man Greenpaw at????
    "And the Cradle will Rock!"

Hang 'Em High

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

04.30.21 @ 10:40 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Donor

Achievements:
    Master PraiserWell-Liked50,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Quote Originally Posted by RayBan
    Not to change the subject but where is my main man Greenpaw at????
    How's it goin bro!

Unfortunately, I didn't go to the show this time. I had to help a friend move that day from his 3rd floor condo into his new house and by the time that was all said and done, I was toast. Of course it had to be 500 degrees that day as well.
    And just the night before on Ticketmaster I pulled up 10th row dead center for the show, but I couldn't buy them knowing I might be tied up in that move. Oh well......

These reviews are bizarre, they're pretty much negative about the show but then at the end it's like "But I had a good time" LOL

Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    Last Online

11.03.20 @ 08:22 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!75,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

Quote Originally Posted by Greenpaw
    How's it goin bro!

Unfortunately, I didn't go to the show this time. I had to help a friend move that day from his 3rd floor condo into his new house and by the time that was all said and done, I was toast. Of course it had to be 500 degrees that day as well.
    And just the night before on Ticketmaster I pulled up 10th row dead center for the show, but I couldn't buy them knowing I might be tied up in that move. Oh well......

These reviews are bizarre, they're pretty much negative about the show but then at the end it's like "But I had a good time" LOL
    I get the same feeling of the reviews. Greenpaw, maybe we will just have to wait to party together when it is Van Halen on tour.
    Just go for it!

Hang 'Em High

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

04.30.21 @ 10:40 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Donor

Achievements:
    Master PraiserWell-Liked50,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Quote Originally Posted by BREW CREW
    I get the same feeling of the reviews. Greenpaw, maybe we will just have to wait to party together when it is Van Halen on tour.
    First round is on me for sure if that happens

Sinner's Swing!
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

04.08.21 @ 02:27 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    VHLinks Proud!15,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da RoundtablePadawan Praiser

Quote Originally Posted by Greenpaw
    How's it goin bro!

In my case I called it like I saw it, but chose to end on a positive note and made the most of the time and money spent! You woulda had a good time! I was gonna PM you so I could see if you were gonna go!
    "Great Things Like This Only Happen For The First Time Once..." Gary Busey

The Full Bug
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

1984/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

5150/Crossing Over
    Last Online

03.26.21 @ 06:50 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)