Me Wise Magic/Seventh Seal
    Last Online

Today @ 10:33 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da RoundtableSupremely-Liked75,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by noise next door View Post
    Yeah, but they're doing it specifically to fuck directly with YouTube(Google) hiding behind their Section 230 protection, which has brought massive damage to the music industry recently. Just as bad as initial file sharing 20 years ago.

This is also the issue Rick Beato seems to conveniently never "get" with his copyright hits and demonetization complaints.
    And in turn they’re fucking with the little guys like Rick who are actually promoting the music of these bands, not ripping them off.

Also, YouTube and Napster are two completely different animals. Napster was an illegal service that ended up being a sign of things to come (iTunes, streaming, etc).

And if the record companies had been as smart and forward thinking as Steve Jobs they could have gotten ahead of the curve as opposed to just bitching and moaning.

Not even close to being the same as people using their music in a ‘fair use’ way in their YT videos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

2. CaboChris Liked This Post
    Baluchitherium

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 01:23 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!100,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard

Quote Originally Posted by MF5150 View Post
    And in turn they’re fucking with the little guys like Rick who are actually promoting the music of these bands, not ripping them off.

Also, YouTube and Napster are two completely different animals. Napster was an illegal service that ended up being a sign of things to come (iTunes, streaming, etc).

And if the record companies had been as smart and forward thinking as Steve Jobs they could have gotten ahead of the curve as opposed to just bitching and moaning.

Not even close to being the same as people using their music in a ‘fair use’ way in their YT videos.

This.

Forum Frontman
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Donor

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard150,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    Downloader Supreme

Henley testified before Congress in regards to YouTube channels using Eagles music without licensing it and how they have a team of 60+ people who’s only job is to make copyright claims on peoples’ videos who use Eagles music in their videos.

A guy who’s worth $200 million. He’s a scumbag.

Reminds me of when Letterman wanted to play Eagles music but was told it would cost $250,000 to play one song, on air. Instead Paul and the band played a song that was very similar to Life in the Fastlane.

To my understanding, it’s an azoff thing. Many of his clients music does not last long on line.

And yeah, it’s pretty stupid

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 06:31 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Yeah, but the damage in lost revenue is way bigger than lost promotion. Beato doesn't get this or he's a really good actor.

Section 230 is fucking up the industry through YouTube specifically. There is an incredible section in Passman's new 10th edition that's a must read on this problem.

Light Up The Sky
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da RoundtableSupremely-Liked75,000 VHL Life Points

Yeah, but the damage in lost revenue is way bigger than lost promotion. Beato doesn't get this or he's a really good actor.

Section 230 is fucking up the industry through YouTube specifically. There is an incredible section in Passman's new 10th edition that's a must read on this problem.
    Lost revenue, how?

My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 06:31 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Lost revenue, how?
    Because YouTube just gives away the entire planet's music catalog for free globally, and they are 100% protected from legal action through Section 230.

They hide behind private uploading individuals that feed the servers.

It's an epic joke and Congress is dragging their feet.

Buy Passman's new book (the yellow covered new edition)... it's a must read.

Hang 'Em High

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

Today @ 11:46 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable100,000 VHL Life Points75,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The Energizer Bunny

I remember that Letterman show about the Eagles song and the banter between Paul and Dave it was a good shot taken at them in a very funny and entertaining way. If I remember they also talked about how how much it would cost Late Night to play other bands songs too. Its on You Tube probably.

Last edited by edwardv; 10.21.21 at 05:48 PM.
    10-6-2020 RIP King of sixstrings.

carpe damn diem
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

Today @ 07:36 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Thee King150,000 VHL Life Points50,000 VHL Life Points

Lost revenue, how?
    Because YouTube just gives away the entire planet's music catalog for free globally, and they are 100% protected from legal action through Section 230.

They hide behind private uploading individuals that feed the servers.

It's an epic joke and Congress is dragging their feet.

Buy Passman's new book (the yellow covered new edition)... it's a must read.
    Heck, in this very forum there have been inquiries as to the best app to rip music from YouTube
    If you like what you see here, please click here to donate!

Light Up The Sky
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Default The Eagles thread- In the Long Run

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    Heck, in this very forum there have been inquiries as to the best app to rip music from YouTube
    With smartphones and streaming services nowadays very few are doing that, I reckon.

This notion that Don Henley is getting robbed blind by people doing that is ridiculous, IMO.

Forum Frontman
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Donor

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard150,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    Downloader Supreme

With smartphones and streaming services nowadays very few are doing that, I reckon.

This notion that Don Henley is getting robbed blind by people doing that is ridiculous, IMO.

No shit. Like he’s suddenly gonna have to fly coach on his private jet.

Light Up The Sky
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

Today @ 03:59 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!75,000 VHL Life PointsThee King50,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by fudd View Post
    No shit. Like he’s suddenly gonna have to fly coach on his private jet.

Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

carpe damn diem
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

Today @ 07:36 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Thee King150,000 VHL Life Points50,000 VHL Life Points

it's more about the artist getting paid for their work - not just Henley, but all artists. Not sure how YouTube works - some artists have their own pages - do they get anything back when someone plays a video from their page? Pretty damn sure they get nothing if Bob digitises his old VH-1 videos he found in his mom's basement and posts them on YouTube. Too bad YouTube doesn't have a feature where you can only watch a given video once or twice - it's nice to be able to have the ability to check out a song a couple of times to see if you like it, but to constantly play the video via YouTube when you haven't bothered to buy the song otherwise is ripping the artist off, no matter how rich he is. But there's a lot of stuff that happens in the music business on the other end too. Such as artists that refuse to put their catalogues on iTunes. Is Garth Brooks still off there? I know AC/DC was a hold out for a long time - and for what? They didn't want their albums broken up? I love AC/DC, but that's a joke - their albums don't tell a particular story so if someone just wants to buy just "Highway To Hell" or "Hells Bells" - why would you deny them? And there are artists that only have partial catalogues on there - I'm guessing that's more on the record company. I've even seen "greatest hits" album where the physical copy has maybe 15 songs, but on iTunes it's only 9 and you can't get those other six songs anywhere on iTunes because the albums they were originally from are also not offered.

Anyway, not wanting to turn this into a thread about the music industry and those that participate in it.
    If you like what you see here, please click here to donate!

Baluchitherium

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!100,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard

I always chuckle when regular folks such as ourselves, defend record companies and multi millionaire musicians. The world's smallest violin for them and besides...they take it out on us come tour time so listening to their shit on YouTube for free is a way of canceling each other out.

. . .
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 12:42 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Pic PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable250,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The Keyboard Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    it's more about the artist getting paid for their work - not just Henley, but all artists. Not sure how YouTube works - some artists have their own pages - do they get anything back when someone plays a video from their page? Pretty damn sure they get nothing if Bob digitises his old VH-1 videos he found in his mom's basement and posts them on YouTube. Too bad YouTube doesn't have a feature where you can only watch a given video once or twice - it's nice to be able to have the ability to check out a song a couple of times to see if you like it, but to constantly play the video via YouTube when you haven't bothered to buy the song otherwise is ripping the artist off, no matter how rich he is. But there's a lot of stuff that happens in the music business on the other end too. Such as artists that refuse to put their catalogues on iTunes. Is Garth Brooks still off there? I know AC/DC was a hold out for a long time - and for what? They didn't want their albums broken up? I love AC/DC, but that's a joke - their albums don't tell a particular story so if someone just wants to buy just "Highway To Hell" or "Hells Bells" - why would you deny them? And there are artists that only have partial catalogues on there - I'm guessing that's more on the record company. I've even seen "greatest hits" album where the physical copy has maybe 15 songs, but on iTunes it's only 9 and you can't get those other six songs anywhere on iTunes because the albums they were originally from are also not offered.

Anyway, not wanting to turn this into a thread about the music industry and those that participate in it.
    I'm surprised no one has come after Coulda for using the same 30 songs over and over on here the last ten years.

16. CaboChris Liked This Post
    Baluchitherium

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by Number 47 View Post
    I'm surprised no one has come after Coulda for using the same 30 songs over and over on here the last ten years.
    Damn.