Last Online

Today @ 07:03 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Pic PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!200,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard
    Awards:
    The Energizer Bunny

November 1, 2019

25 Years On, Where’s Tom Petty’s Complete ‘Wildflowers’ Album?

The release of an album usually marks the end of one phase of an artist’s career. But in the case of Tom Petty’s Wildflowers, which came out on Nov. 1, 1994, there was no such sense of closure. The project haunted him until his death in 2017, and now, 25 years after its partial arrival, it continues to haunt his fans.

Sessions began in 1992, when Petty began collaborating with producer Rick Rubin with the intention of creating a follow-up to 1989’s solo debut Full Moon Fever. Like its predecessor, it featured most of the members of the Heartbreakers, but Petty wanted to distance himself from the constraints of his band’s output, while also continuing their working relationship.

Two years on, Rubin reported later, they’d recorded "between 26 and 28 songs,” with the intention for Wildflowers to be a double album. However, Warner Bros. Records had other ideas; label boss Lenny Waronker persuaded Petty to trim the LP to a 15-track single-length release, feeling it would be a stronger product in a marketing sense.

Results appeared to prove Waronker right: Wildflowers reached No.8 on the Billboard 200, and the singles “You Don’t Know How It Feels,” “You Wreck Me,” “It’s Good to Be King” and “A Higher Place” all hit the top 20 in the Mainstream Rock Chart. To date, the LP has been certified three times platinum in the U.S.

Some of the reserved material did make it into the wild, though not always in the originally envisioned form. Several songs appeared as B-sides on Wildflowers singles: “Cabin Down Below” (B-side of “It’s Good to Be King”), “Only a Broken Heart” (B-side of “A Higher Place”) and “Girl on LSD” (B-side of “You Don’t Know How it Feels”). Versions of “Hope You Never,” “California” and “Hung Up and Overdue” were added to the 1996 Heartbreakers LP Songs and Music From She’s the One.

In 2015, in anticipation of a 20th-anniversary extended release, the single “Somewhere Under Heaven” was launched – though the extended LP never surfaced. Following Petty's death, “Lonesome Dave” was released as part of the collection An American Treasure.

During the last years of his life, Petty began talking up the idea of completing the Wildflowers project. In 2015, he and Rubin gathered to listen to the leftover material, some of which had been updated in the intervening years. The producer recalled being “floored” by the quality. "Some of them just hit me like, 'Wow, what a great song! How did we ever miss this?'" he recalled.

At the meeting, Petty owned up to having a strange relationship with the leftover tracks. “He told me Wildflowers scares him, because he's not really sure why it's as good as it is," Rubin said. "So it has this, like, haunted feeling for him. ... He loves it, but it's not like he can turn that on again. He couldn't make Wildflowers 2 today. That was the point. The point was, 'I can't do this now. This was then, and it was where I was then and it was a prolific period. This is an extension of that moment.'"

Rubin added that Petty "thought it was really important because the legacy of the Wildflowers album loomed large in his career. ... He knew that the second half of Wildflowers was an important statement. … He didn't want to put it out as a new Tom Petty album, 'cause it's not a new Tom Petty album -- it was recorded 25 years ago -- and he didn't want to release it as an old catalog album because he thought it deserved more than being a catalog album. He felt like it was too good to just put out and was sort of looking for the right story where it would have the exposure that it deserved. And he never came up with it.”

When Petty died in 2017, he at least had an idea of what he wanted to achieve. He’d begun talking to a number of collaborators about a Wildflowers tour – Norah Jones had agreed to take part – though the road trip had been put on hold while the Heartbreakers marked their 40th anniversary.

“That album was really about sound in a big way," Petty told Rolling Stone the year before his death. "I would like to go out there and perform the entire album as it was originally conceived with all of the songs. ... Nobody has ever done something like this, where you’re previewing the second part of a never-released album. How often does that happen? It’s old and new at the same time.”

He also explained that, despite having heard some of the additional material, fans hadn’t necessarily heard them the way he wanted them. “I think I put four of the [Wildflowers outtakes] on the She’s the One soundtrack just to fill out the album," he said.

"But they were very hastily mixed. Take ‘Climb That Hill.’ There’s a version of that on She’s the One, but the Wildflowers one, I think, is extremely better. I’m gonna put that out. ‘Hung Up and Overdue’ is another one we remixed and it turned into an epic. I had Carl Wilson [of the Beach Boys] and [Heartbreakers bassist] Howie Epstein singing quite a bit of harmony that didn’t come through on the original. Then again, there’s probably six songs that nobody has heard. There’s 11 or 12 [new] songs on the album. I think people are going to like it a lot. I like it a lot.”

Petty echoed his doubts as to how the release should be achieved. “At one point the label really just wanted to put it out as a standalone album," he explained. "And then there’s the point of view where they want to put both records together. There’s also the point of view that wants the box set with the demos and all that. I don’t see that as much fun, but other people do.”

Presumably responding to Petty’s desire to have the music released, the Heartbreakers announced in 2018 that Wildflowers: All The Rest was in their plans, possibly as a box set. However, in the aftermath of his death, his widow found herself in dispute with Petty's two daughters, and the release was apparently caught in the crossfire. Reports suggested that the daughters didn't believe that the 25th anniversary was the right time for the release; and that certain stalemates made it difficult to reach any decisions.

Once all this sorts itself out, the complete Wildflowers should arrive at some point in the future. Petty confirmed in 2015 that, as far as he was concerned, it was ready to go, after discussing the release of unheard songs in conjunction with other archive material. “Warner Bros. came back to us and said, 'Look, this is far too good a record to just send straight to the catalog racks. We're going to put it out as its own album,'" he said. "I was behind that decision too. It's done and we're eventually going to put it out. It's just sitting there finished, so I'm waiting to hear when they're going to put it out.”

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/tom-...e-wildflowers/

carpe damn diem
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

Today @ 06:42 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!150,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

I guess i'm the one person that doesn't get all the hoopla on Wildflowers. I'd rather see an expanded Southern Accents, but maybe we have all the parts to that now with Playback and An American Treasure. I just feel like his sound changed after Full Moon Fever, both with and without the Heartbreakers - a lot of energy in those early records and it just seemed to be lost at that point, he almost sounded bored at times. Don't get me wrong, there are songs on Wildflowers that I like, but it's not one I'm gonna grab for usually when I want to hear some Tom Petty.
    If you like what you see here, please click here to donate!

#vhlinksmatter
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Pic PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!200,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard
    Awards:
    The Energizer Bunny

Wildflower outtake, There Goes Angela (Dream Away)

Not sure if it will be up long... according to this article. (why do all that when it's on YouTube?)

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...mK6zfzXtfe5HIk

I just love Wildflowers... so I love this too.

Nice proof reading/editing, Rolling Stone.

“There Goes Angela (Dream Away)” is a tender ballad that would have fit seamlessly on Wallflowers. “One day I’ll be back,” Petty sings, “One day I’ll be home/Right now I got some things/To do out on the road/But dream away my love/Let your heart be free/And if ever someone should break your will/Have a dream on me.”
    Last edited by Number 47; 08.05.20 at 09:28 AM.

Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

08.15.20 @ 11:14 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    VeteranMaster PraiserSupremely-Liked50,000 VHL Life PointsElite Daily Poster

LOL. Yeah, it was probably blocked in an hour.
    I love that record, too.

carpe damn diem
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

Today @ 06:42 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!150,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

Default Tom Petty / Wildflowers reissue

here you go...

from superdeluxeedition.com

August 20, 2020 by Paul Sinclair

Seven physical formats for the 1994 album

Warner Records will reissue an expanded version of Tom Petty’s album Wildflowers in October, across many formats.

Dubbed Wildflowers & All The Rest for this campaign, the core offering is the remastered Wildflowers album plus a ten-track bonus album All The Rest. Together this represents all 25 songs from the original recording sessions. Five of the ten songs on All The Rest are previously unreleased. This version of the reissue is available as a 2CD set or a 3LP vinyl package.

The deluxe editions are 4CD and 7LP vinyl respectively. These sets obviously include the content mentioned above but add a Home Recordings/Demos offering (15 intimate demos of the songs) and a Wildflowers Live selection (14 songs played live by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers from 1995 to 2017).

If that’s not enough, then special super deluxe editions add an CD or two extra LPs to the deluxe versions. The extra content is ‘Finding Wildflowers’ – 16 alternate versions recorded in the studio.

And if THAT’S not enough there is a ‘Ultra Deluxe Edition‘ (at $500) which is the 9LP set plus what we like to call here at SDE ‘stuff’ – e.g. “Exclusive fabric bag designed and manufactured by Made Worn in Los Angeles, with custom metal Wildflowers closure” and “Wildflowers logo cloth patch” and “Handmade bead necklace, in pouch” and a lot more. The super and ultra deluxe editions are only available via the Tom Petty store.

Wildflowers will be reissued on 16 October 2020.

Track listings:

Wildflowers 4CD deluxe

CD1: Original Album

01 Wildflowers
    02 You Don’t Know How It Feels
    03 Time To Move On
    04 You Wreck Me
    05 It’s Good To Be King
    06 Only A Broken Heart
    07 Honey Bee
    08 Don’t Fade On Me
    09 Hard On Me
    10 Cabin Down Below
    11 To Find A Friend
    12 A Higher Place
    13 House In The Woods
    14 Crawling Back To You
    15 Wake Up Time

CD2: All The Rest (10 tracks 5 unreleased songs)

01 Something Could Happen
    02 Leave Virginia Alone
    03 Climb That Hill Blues
    04 Confusion Wheel
    05 California
    06 Harry Green
    07 Hope You Never
    08 Somewhere Under Heaven
    09 Climb That Hill
    10 Hung Up And Overdue

CD3: Home Recordings (15 tracks – 3 unreleased songs; 12 unreleased versions)

01 There Goes Angela (Dream Away)
    03 California
    04 A Feeling Of Peace
    05 Leave Virginia Alone
    06 Crawling Back To You
    07 Don’t Fade On Me
    08 Confusion Wheel
    09 A Higher Place
    10 There’s A Break In The Rain (Have Love Will Travel)
    11 To Find A Friend
    12 Only A Broken Heart
    13 Wake Up Time
    14 Hung Up And Overdue
    15 Wildflowers

CD4: Wildflowers Live (14 tracks – 12 unreleased versions; 2 distributed to Fan Club only)

01 You Don’t Know How It Feels
    02 Honey Bee
    03 To Find A Friend
    04 Walls
    05 Crawling Back To You
    06 Cabin Down Below
    07 Drivin’ To Georgia
    08 House In The Woods
    09 Girl On LSD
    10 Time To Move On
    11 Wake Up Time
    12 It’s Good To Be King
    13 You Wreck Me
    14 Wildflowers

seems to me there should be a studio version of "Girl On LSD" (b-side of "You Don't Know How It Feels") in there somewhere? Unless that wasn't part of the sessions, but since it's included on the live disk, I'm thinking it was!
    If you like what you see here, please click here to donate!

6. wombattt, Number 47 Liked This Post
    Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 04:41 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Thanks billy. Looking forward to hearing it. I'd be most interested in hearing that 4th CD...the live one.

Top Of The World
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Constantly Changes
    Last Online

Today @ 06:10 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserWell-LikedKnight Of Da Roundtable25,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    here you go...

Warner Records will reissue an expanded version of Tom Petty’s album Wildflowers in October, across many formats.

Dubbed Wildflowers & All The Rest for this campaign, the core offering is the remastered Wildflowers album plus a ten-track bonus album All The Rest. Together this represents all 25 songs from the original recording sessions. Five of the ten songs on All The Rest are previously unreleased. This version of the reissue is available as a 2CD set or a 3LP vinyl package.

The deluxe editions are 4CD and 7LP vinyl respectively. These sets obviously include the content mentioned above but add a Home Recordings/Demos offering (15 intimate demos of the songs) and a Wildflowers Live selection (14 songs played live by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers from 1995 to 2017).

If that’s not enough, then special super deluxe editions add an CD or two extra LPs to the deluxe versions. The extra content is ‘Finding Wildflowers’ – 16 alternate versions recorded in the studio.

And if THAT’S not enough there is a ‘Ultra Deluxe Edition‘ (at $500) which is the 9LP set plus what we like to call here at SDE ‘stuff’ – e.g. “Exclusive fabric bag designed and manufactured by Made Worn in Los Angeles, with custom metal Wildflowers closure” and “Wildflowers logo cloth patch” and “Handmade bead necklace, in pouch” and a lot more. The super and ultra deluxe editions are only available via the Tom Petty store.

Track listings:

Wildflowers 4CD deluxe

01 Wildflowers
    03 Time To Move On
    04 You Wreck Me
    05 It’s Good To Be King
    06 Only A Broken Heart
    07 Honey Bee
    08 Don’t Fade On Me
    09 Hard On Me
    10 Cabin Down Below
    11 To Find A Friend
    12 A Higher Place
    13 House In The Woods
    14 Crawling Back To You
    15 Wake Up Time

02 Leave Virginia Alone
    03 Climb That Hill Blues
    04 Confusion Wheel
    05 California
    06 Harry Green
    07 Hope You Never
    09 Climb That Hill
    10 Hung Up And Overdue

03 California
    04 A Feeling Of Peace
    05 Leave Virginia Alone
    06 Crawling Back To You
    07 Don’t Fade On Me
    08 Confusion Wheel
    09 A Higher Place
    11 To Find A Friend
    12 Only A Broken Heart
    13 Wake Up Time
    14 Hung Up And Overdue
    15 Wildflowers

CD4: Wildflowers Live (14 tracks – 12 unreleased versions; 2 distributed to Fan Club only)

02 Honey Bee
    03 To Find A Friend
    04 Walls
    05 Crawling Back To You
    06 Cabin Down Below
    07 Drivin’ To Georgia
    08 House In The Woods
    09 Girl On LSD
    10 Time To Move On
    11 Wake Up Time
    12 It’s Good To Be King
    13 You Wreck Me
    14 Wildflowers

seems to me there should be a studio version of "Girl On LSD" (b-side of "You Don't Know How It Feels") in there somewhere? Unless that wasn't part of the sessions, but since it's included on the live disk, I'm thinking it was!

Finally!!!!!
    "Always hopeful, yet discontent,
    He knows changes aren't permanent
    But change is!"

I'm The One
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Fair Warning
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 04:52 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserWell-Liked15,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    here you go...

Track listings:

Wildflowers 4CD deluxe

01 Wildflowers
    03 Time To Move On
    04 You Wreck Me
    05 It’s Good To Be King
    06 Only A Broken Heart
    07 Honey Bee
    08 Don’t Fade On Me
    09 Hard On Me
    10 Cabin Down Below
    11 To Find A Friend
    12 A Higher Place
    13 House In The Woods
    14 Crawling Back To You
    15 Wake Up Time

02 Leave Virginia Alone
    03 Climb That Hill Blues
    04 Confusion Wheel
    05 California
    06 Harry Green
    07 Hope You Never
    09 Climb That Hill
    10 Hung Up And Overdue

03 California
    04 A Feeling Of Peace
    05 Leave Virginia Alone
    06 Crawling Back To You
    07 Don’t Fade On Me
    08 Confusion Wheel
    09 A Higher Place
    11 To Find A Friend
    12 Only A Broken Heart
    13 Wake Up Time
    14 Hung Up And Overdue
    15 Wildflowers

02 Honey Bee
    03 To Find A Friend
    04 Walls
    05 Crawling Back To You
    06 Cabin Down Below
    07 Drivin’ To Georgia
    08 House In The Woods
    09 Girl On LSD
    10 Time To Move On
    11 Wake Up Time
    12 It’s Good To Be King
    13 You Wreck Me
    14 Wildflowers

I've ordered the 5 disc set from Petty's official website...

Disc 5: Finding Wildflowers (Super Deluxe Edition only)
    1. A Higher Place
    2. Hard on Me
    3. Cabin Down Below
    4. Crawling Back to You
    5. Only a Broken Heart
    6. Drivin’ Down to Georgia
    7. You Wreck Me
    8. It’s Good to Be King
    9. House in the Woods
    10. Honey Bee
    11. Girl on LSD
    12. Cabin Down Below (Acoustic Version)
    13. Wildflowers
    14. Don’t Fade on Me
    15. Wake Up Time
    16. You Saw Me Comin’
    “And what we have at our fingertips is arguably one of the greatest high tenor voices ever – that was in Michael Anthony. In our tiny little corner of the universe, that voice is as identifiable as the high voice in Earth, Wind & Fire, as identifiable as the high voice in the Beach Boys. Van Halen is an indelicate house blend of both – that’s intentionally. So I would always look forward to that reunion.” - David Lee Roth

#vhlinksmatter
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    The Energizer Bunny

Quote Originally Posted by Number 47 View Post

#vhlinksmatter
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    The Energizer Bunny

12. wombattt Liked This Post
    Soclal Media Manager
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

09.18.20 @ 10:30 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!200,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Johnny Cash's backing band is pretty damn good.
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

#vhlinksmatter
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    The Energizer Bunny

#vhlinksmatter
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    The Energizer Bunny

Three Years After Tom Petty’s Death, His Dream Project Finally Emerges

With a legal battle over his estate resolved at last, the late singer’s family and Heartbreakers bandmates share his 1994 classic ‘Wildflowers’ the way he always wanted it to be heard

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...-8HoktjuF25juE