Help!:Beatles Thread - Page 63
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Likes Likes:  73

View Poll Results: Which Beatles album is your favorite?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Please Please Me

0 0%
  • A Hard Day's Night

0 0%
  • Help!

0 0%
  • Rubber Soul

7 24.14%
  • Revolver

6 20.69%
  • Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

4 13.79%
  • Magical Mystery Tour

0 0%
  • The White Album

5 17.24%
  • Abbey Road

5 17.24%
  • Let It Be

2 6.90%
Page 63 of 66 FirstFirst ... 135360616263646566 LastLast
    Unchained
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Today @ 12:08 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Thee King400,000 VHL Life Points250,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    I know it isn't her fault, but if I was a Beatles band member, I'd want Yoko the fuck out of there too.
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"The truth sounds like hate to those who hate the truth" - Todd Wagner

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

Light Up The Sky

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 10:24 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da RoundtableElite Daily Poster25,000 VHL Life Points75,000 VHL Life Points

Just about finished with Get Back. I never saw Let it Be, but I found this a fascinating watch. Most of my Beatles fandom was when I was younger. I’ve always loved them, but never sought out their films and really had no idea what John was like. The other 3 I’ve seen enough in my lifetime to get a personality, but not him.

The first episode you can see that it’s a drag, you can see Paul exerting some order after their manager died, but John is checked out and George underappreciated. It’s also clear this is all happening as Paul is experiencing peak creativity. There’s other discussions going on and he’s just pulling out classic songs left and right and developing them.

You can see them having fun after that, and of you haven’t seen it I don’t want to give it away, but I did put together this ridiculous scene that made me laugh harder than it should.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gird your loins
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 04:24 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Pic PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard100,000 VHL Life Points

Yeah I was floored by the first episode of Get Back as well. As someone who carried a blue Beatles lunchbox to first grade and was proud learn all the lyrics to "Yesterday" I was excited about this and it didn't disappoint, I know others who have complained about the running time of each episode, but for me, it flew.

Paul was definitely on a creative tear here, despite the weirdness of the atmosphere in that barn like studio and the tensions. I think the pressure of the short time frame to prepare new music led Paul to be so focused on the creative part that he completely missed some pretty straight forward messages from George. If the band was to be saved I think it was that relationship that was the wound that needed to be healed first. But Paul didn't recognize it. If you were to ask me after this episode who broke up the Beatles, I would say that it was like a mutually agreed upon reluctant divorce, but with George filing for separation first.

I did a lot of rewind and rewatch. There were moments such as when John is late and Paul is sitting there just riffing and and you literally hear Get Back take shape out of a bunch of randomness

I thought it was telling that George was sitting right there just feet from Paul but very disinterested and isolated despite being right in the midst of that creation. He was there, but he was disconnected. Meanwhile Ringo is there just lasered in on what Paul is doing even in the very early stages, he is tapping his foot then slapping his thighs and injecting lyrics. I think that Ringo and Paul were the most connected in that band at that time .Then John saunters in and just slides in with his guitar like it is the most natural thing in the world. They were a 3 piece band by this point with George doing his own thing. George is literally coming into the rehearsals with his own music all worked out, and not really connecting with or contributing much to the process as a band. There were times when it was almost painful to watch, such as when George tells Paul that they don't need a second guitar and Paul telling him not to play on a song. Paul was legit confused saying to George " I'm just trying to help" and not recognizing how dismissive and alienating it must have sounded to George.

There is so much to unpack from just this one episode but the look into their creative process, particularly McCartney's is fascinating.

Particularly striking was Paul saying that "things were just not the same since Mr Epstein died". And all the business drudgery now fell to the band (and you see it here interrupting their rehearsals) and Paul comments that they are just not as disciplined without Epstein. I thought of Ed Loeffler. It is surprising when you think about how important good management is and how bad management screws over the best bands. And it seems Epstein was quite a bit of both with the Northern Lights publishing deal being addressed in this film with Paul telling Dick James that it "just didn't seem like much money"

Other things that stuck me

Yoko Ono did not seem to be the negative influence we were led to believe her to be. She seemed a good and stabilizing influence on John. And the playfulness of their relationship was a surprise as I always pictured her as sour and dark

John being so casual about the line up of the band. George quits? Eh if he doesn't come back we'll just get Clapton. I knew about the story of Clapton replacing George but didn't know it came from John, and I think that would have been devastating for George, who talked in this film about his feelings of inadequacy as a guitarist and his admiration for Clapton. He was really hard on himself

But the band continued writing and rehearsing after George left and it sounded like a completely different Beatles. They were angry and the noodling around they were doing took on a completely different feel.

The band members temperatures seemed to be Paul. highly engaged, absolutely leading the band at an almost manically creative stage and apparently thinking that this project might be the thing to get the band over . Ringo, looking to his future in films, but still there to support Paul and pushing back when a producer says that this might be the last of the bands work. John, pretty much over the whole thing, but still there to participate and seemed to be personally, very happy which ironically seemed to be the reason he could be there for this, AND the reason he could leave it behind him. George was checked out completely, operating as a solo artist within the band, coming to rehearsals with his own songs, and his own ideas and frustrated by the lack of interest in his work and not really sure why he is there.

I can't wait to get into the next episodes

4. YankeeRose, I Coulda Hada VH, TJENZ Liked This Post
    Light Up The Sky

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da RoundtableElite Daily Poster25,000 VHL Life Points75,000 VHL Life Points

Yeah, it seems clear to me the Beatles wouldn’t have broken up so soon had Epstein not died. He became default leader because no one else stepped up, but then George and John resented him a bit for it, obviously, as it also happened to occur at a time where Paul was hitting a creative peak. So he was dismissive of other ideas (even trying to grammar police I Me Mine when George brought it in).

What also struck me was John and George having a conversation about doing solo albums as a way to prolong The Beatles. George was like, look, I’ve got our next 10 albums of “Harrisongs” or “last night” songs, but it would be nicer to get them all out at once. He and John seemed keen on staying in the band with other outlets for creativity.

But the best thing was just seeing the creative process and that they could still have fun playing music together.

Gird your loins
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Pic PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard100,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    Yeah, it seems clear to me the Beatles wouldn’t have broken up so soon had Epstein not died. He became default leader because no one else stepped up, but then George and John resented him a bit for it, obviously, as it also happened to occur at a time where Paul was hitting a creative peak. So he was dismissive of other ideas (even trying to grammar police I Me Mine when George brought it in).

What also struck me was John and George having a conversation about doing solo albums as a way to prolong The Beatles. George was like, look, I’ve got our next 10 albums of “Harrisongs” or “last night” songs, but it would be nicer to get them all out at once. He and John seemed keen on staying in the band with other outlets for creativity.

But the best thing was just seeing the creative process and that they could still have fun playing music together.

YES! I noticed that. Paul heard Georges ideas then leaned over him and pointed to the lyrics and asked if they were grammatically correct! WTF? Since when do rock lyrics need to be grammatically correct? I couldn't decide if that was just a little jab that Paul was intentionally giving him, or if it was just a casual observation that he thought would be helpful.

As for the side solo projects, isn't "McCartney" cited as one of the reasons things fell apart? If McCartney wanted to work solo, I don't think there would have been much push back from him for Goerge or John to do the same. And John and Ringo had already taken on side projects in film prior to this time.

The other thing was the set design. The director was going over the set design with John and John seemed more interested in that than anything else they were doing and went over it with extensive notes and made sketches and gave his input. Natural, given that John was the art school guy, right? But then he says something about showing the designs to Paul and the director says they already showed them to Paul who told them exactly what John would say about them. So we see there that the pecking order has been established intentionally or not. I'm sure Paul thought he was just giving his input on the design but the part about presuming to give them John's opinion? I can see a couple of ways of taking that

But I wonder if John's checked out but happy and not contributing much musically isn't the heroin? U don't know how much they were using this early, but it doesn't seem to be an issue...he's there and lucid, not nodding off.

He and Yoko started in '68 and by 69 he was trying to kick it by himself cold turkey. Yoko has said the only reason they didn't die from the heroin was because they never injected and their dealer "stepped in" the heroin he sold so much that it wasn't as potent. But if I recall correctly, James Taylor was one of John's suppliers.

carpe damn diem
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 08:38 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Thee King150,000 VHL Life Points50,000 VHL Life Points

Paul was the last Beatle to release a solo record and the animosity came when it’s release was scheduled close to the release of Let It Be (and the enclosed press release stating that the Beatles were broken up)

I hope to see this some day…
    If you like what you see here, please click here to donate!

Light Up The Sky

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post
    YES! I noticed that. Paul heard Georges ideas then leaned over him and pointed to the lyrics and asked if they were grammatically correct! WTF? Since when do rock lyrics need to be grammatically correct? I couldn't decide if that was just a little jab that Paul was intentionally giving him, or if it was just a casual observation that he thought would be helpful.

As for the side solo projects, isn't "McCartney" cited as one of the reasons things fell apart? If McCartney wanted to work solo, I don't think there would have been much push back from him for Goerge or John to do the same. And John and Ringo had already taken on side projects in film prior to this time.

The other thing was the set design. The director was going over the set design with John and John seemed more interested in that than anything else they were doing and went over it with extensive notes and made sketches and gave his input. Natural, given that John was the art school guy, right? But then he says something about showing the designs to Paul and the director says they already showed them to Paul who told them exactly what John would say about them. So we see there that the pecking order has been established intentionally or not. I'm sure Paul thought he was just giving his input on the design but the part about presuming to give them John's opinion? I can see a couple of ways of taking that

But I wonder if John's checked out but happy and not contributing much musically isn't the heroin? U don't know how much they were using this early, but it doesn't seem to be an issue...he's there and lucid, not nodding off.

He and Yoko started in '68 and by 69 he was trying to kick it by himself cold turkey. Yoko has said the only reason they didn't die from the heroin was because they never injected and their dealer "stepped in" the heroin he sold so much that it wasn't as potent. But if I recall correctly, James Taylor was one of John's suppliers.
    If I were to simplify the issues, and I know little about their break up, they needed someone they all trusted who could tell them “No.”

Quentin Tarantino’s movies got about 30 minutes longer after his long time editor died. I bet he listened to her in ways he wouldn’t listen to anyone else.

STP stopped working with Brendan O’Brien and the DeLeo bros insisted on producing and there’s no outside authority to say “That’s not good enough yet” or “This song is better than that song” or “Take out that bridge; the song doesn’t need jt.”

Maybe that was Epstein, I don’t know, but trying to democratize the songwriting as opposed to picking the 10 best songs is a sign of caring more about who’s name is on the liner notes more than if they made the best album they could.

carpe damn diem
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 08:38 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Thee King150,000 VHL Life Points50,000 VHL Life Points

Multiple things - death of Epstein, getting in over their heads with Apple. Drugs. Gurus. In my mind, John started to check out after “How I Won The War”. Ringo left ever so briefly during the sessions for The Beatles. I believe George Martin isn’t involved in these sessions? No discounting his importance, either.
    If you like what you see here, please click here to donate!

Light Up The Sky

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    Multiple things - death of Epstein, getting in over their heads with Apple. Drugs. Gurus. In my mind, John started to check out after “How I Won The War”. Ringo left ever so briefly during the sessions for The Beatles. I believe George Martin isn’t involved in these sessions? No discounting his importance, either.
    He’s in the doc, but not doing much of anything. You don’t see him make any suggestions musically.

Forum Frontman
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Donor

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard150,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    Downloader Supreme

I don’t think they knew, when they were doing this, that they would change music and the world really when they did this. The impact that the music has. All of theirs. So far I’m on number 2 and it’s fascinating.

Gird your loins
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    Martin was involved and appears in the documentary. In the present, his son Giles is part of the sound department as a music supervisor/mixer for Get Back as well

Forum Frontman
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

@
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Donor

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard150,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    Downloader Supreme

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post
    Martin was involved and appears in the documentary. In the present, his son Giles is part of the sound department as a music supervisor/mixer for Get Back as well
    Martin famously said and I’m paraphrasing here, I recorded let it be, Phil Spector ruined it.

Forum Frontman
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

@
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Donor

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Downloader Supreme

I don’t see how anyone could watch this and not see the brilliance of those 4. In 8 years they changed the world. It’s also sad. in ten years and change John Lennon will be murdered. And a little later, George would go as well. It could’ve been the greatest comeback ever.

15. Dutchie5150 Liked This Post
    Unchained
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Today @ 12:08 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Thee King400,000 VHL Life Points250,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MVP

Quote Originally Posted by fudd View Post
    Martin famously said and I’m paraphrasing here, I recorded let it be, Phil Spector ruined it.

I prefer The Long And Winding Road, Across The Universe and I Me Mine with Phil Spector’s added orchestration to the naked versions.

Unchained
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 03:23 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Pic PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable200,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The Keyboard Warrior

My entire Saturday and Sat. evening was completely engulfed with Get Back. I can't tell you how many times I went back and watched certain things over.

The rooftop concert seemed a bit long and bloated, but that's what they were working their way up to. Some of the silly ideas they had... it's funny that something as simple as playing on the roof seemed like a chore to Paul and George. John and Ringo were all for it.

Got to give Ringo credit. He was always on time and sitting there participating in everything. Pretty cool.

I'm a bit confused on how some of the songs they were working on ended up on Abbey Road. They did everything in this documentary and then came back and turned some of it into Abbey Road... and then released the rest as Let It Be... right?

18. Daisy Hill Liked This Post