The Official Star Wars Thread - Page 607
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Likes Likes:  211
Page 607 of 621 FirstFirst ... 107507557597604605606607608609610617 ... LastLast
Results 9,091 to 9,105 of 9304
    Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 12:50 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da RoundtableSupremely-Liked50,000 VHL Life Points

LOL...I should admit that I did try to give it a 2nd viewing, but maybe 20 mins in I got the confirmation I needed and bailed. I believe I did the same thing with TLJ.

I can still watch TFA, however. For me, that one's a fun, nostalgic SW film.

Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Today @ 12:57 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!50,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Josh Gad did an interview with Daisey Ridley the other day, and she basically admitted they had no plan for her parentage. She was originally supposed to be a Kenobi when TFA was made, then RJ decided she shouldn't have any parentage, and then JJ wanted her to be a Palpatine during the production of the third movie. What's even more crazy is that the writers kept changing their minds on a seemingly large plot point all the way up to the last minute. She said two weeks before filming she still had no idea what the plan was.

Dumpster. Fire.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

3. JUNGLE DRUMMER, edwardv Liked This Post
    Light Up The Sky
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

Today @ 10:33 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!75,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

Would've been interesting if she was a Kenobi.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

5. jimmy812 Liked This Post
    Light Up The Sky

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 01:37 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!75,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da RoundtableElite Daily Poster

Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post
    Josh Gad did an interview with Daisey Ridley the other day, and she basically admitted they had no plan for her parentage. She was originally supposed to be a Kenobi when TFA was made, then RJ decided she shouldn't have any parentage, and then JJ wanted her to be a Palpatine during the production of the third movie. What's even more crazy is that the writers kept changing their minds on a seemingly large plot point all the way up to the last minute. She said two weeks before filming she still had no idea what the plan was.

Dumpster. Fire.
    This makes sense to me like this. JJ sets up special parentage in film 1. RJ decides to throw that out the window.

You pick any other director, that probably gets followed. But, they chose JJ. And he really likes the idea that she is special and he likes the idea of hitting beats of previous films. So how do you reconcile setting up that she's special and Ren saying her parents were nobodies in part 2?

The answer is that the truth is scary. Palpatine. And you can shoehorn that in because of episode 3 and, in TFA, Ren believes he is speaking to Vader through the helmet, but we know it couldn't be because he died turning to the light, so it has to be someone else.

I'm not saying that that is GOOD story telling, but I don't think it has to be as chaotic as is being implied. Although an actor might find it chaotic.

Doesn't excuse not having an outline, which is insane considering the MCU is part of the same company.

Take Your Whiskey Home

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

Today @ 11:51 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

They were doing a re-run at the theater for TFA for $5...so of course I went to enjoy on the big screen again. After watching, I was frustrated about the parent thing; it was blown up to be much more than it was - with many obvious nods to who it could be. Palpatine seemed to come out of nowhere and be a surprise for the sake of surprising; meaning, it wasn't well thought out IMO.
    Winners come and go; legends are forever.

Light Up The Sky

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!75,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da RoundtableElite Daily Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    They were doing a re-run at the theater for TFA for $5...so of course I went to enjoy on the big screen again. After watching, I was frustrated about the parent thing; it was blown up to be much more than it was - with many obvious nods to who it could be. Palpatine seemed to come out of nowhere and be a surprise for the sake of surprising; meaning, it wasn't well thought out IMO.
    I don't think it would have been Palpatine had Abrams done the second film, but I do think he left the door open for multiple options because he wasn't doing the second film.

9. Jedi McFly Liked This Post
    Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

Today @ 06:00 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!75,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

I do think that Palpy was always a wild card. Just because when Rey first picks up a lightsaber she fights like Palpatine. Same stances and everything. Subtle but there. TLJ killed it with her not being part of a lineage and you had Borat Jr with the broom. Anybody could be a Jedi. Then it was back into it was a special trait.

Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Today @ 12:57 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!50,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Quote Originally Posted by ziggysmalls View Post
    I do think that Palpy was always a wild card. Just because when Rey first picks up a lightsaber she fights like Palpatine. Same stances and everything. Subtle but there.
    Given what we know about the way the story was crafted and how little thought went into it, I would say that's giving them far too much credit

I think it's more of a happy coincidence than anything else.

TLJ killed it with her not being part of a lineage and you had Borat Jr with the broom. Anybody could be a Jedi. Then it was back into it was a special trait.
    Yeah, they really boofed that one. I get the desire to make sure not everyone needs to have force lineage at all, but I guess I kind of always figured that was the case, it was just that you were more likely to be force sensitive if you came from a certain lineage. Kind of like if your parents are professional athletes, you are more likely to be athletic than the average person. Not guaranteed, but certainly gives you a leg up. But even the best natural athletes still need to train to be good at any given sport. The explanation for why Rey was so powerful seemed to be from JJ "she has a special lineage" and from RJ it was "the force chose her and rose up in her to meet the powerful dark." Both, in my opinion, completely miss the mark altogether. I feel like giving characters natural ability to a point is ok (like being naturally gifted as an athlete), but to make someone immediately an expert with literally no training just cheapens the story.

Not only does it make the idea of Jedi training mostly pointless, but it doesn't give the character any arc which was the biggest problem people had with Rey's character. She basically goes from not even being aware of the force to pulling Jedi mind tricks in the course of one day. She goes from running from Kylo in the forest to whooping his ass in the course of a day or so, maybe a couple of days? It just never felt right no matter what her lineage was. The only explanation I would have accepted was that she began her training under Luke, they realized she was too powerful (and they discovered her lineage and thought, eh, we're not messing with that after Kylo), they Jedi wiped her mind or something, and they stuck her on a planet to be far removed from the force. Then when she re-encounters the force, she suddenly unlocks her previous training and bam, there you go. It still cheapens her character arc to do it that way in regards to the first movie and I would never have written it that way from the outset, but at least the explanation makes sense and it would band-aid a mistake if that's the direction they went in subsequent movies.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Light Up The Sky

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post
    Given what we know about the way the story was crafted and how little thought went into it, I would say that's giving them far too much credit

I think it's more of a happy coincidence than anything else.
    It makes more sense the guy handing off the reins left a few things that could be used. Like, it couldn’t have been Vader talking to Ren. Yeah, you could write that off to Snoke, but a writer could also connect it to Palpatine, who knew how to cheat death.

Yet that, along with her style, were subtle enough that fans debated relations to both Luke and Kenobi.

Like I said above, if your plan was her parentage was special and you’re thrown into a third film after the guy rebuffed you to say she wasn’t, which lineage makes the most sense to lie about? The scary, evil one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 12:05 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member

Donor

Achievements:

The problem is the Palpatine connection was wildly unnecessary. TLJ took that card out of play, the story was told.

Rey could’ve still overcame dark side tendencies without having to be a shoehorned blood relative to the big bad.

This will forever be my biggest beef with the ST.

14. Raldo Liked This Post
    Hell-LOW Baay-BAY!!
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 08:20 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member

Donor

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!150,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da RoundtableWell-LikedPic Poster

16. track 5, Wruff_ajax Liked This Post
    Take Your Whiskey Home
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 12:05 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member

Donor

Achievements:

First episode of Mando season 2 is really solid. I very much enjoyed it and it's got a ton of references and easter eggs for those of us who keep up with the expanded universe. One of the main characters of the episode is from a side story in one of the novels.

I hope season 2 keeps up the pace and doesn't meander like the middle of season 1 did.

18. MD 5150, Wruff_ajax, edwardv, LLFHS Liked This Post
    Hell-LOW Baay-BAY!!
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 08:20 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member

Donor

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!150,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da RoundtableWell-LikedPic Poster

That was fuckin great. I'm glad they're continuing the "western in space" motif. It totally works.

Now just bring back my dear Gina and no one will get hurt.

20. JMJ Liked This Post
    Light Up The Sky
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

Today @ 10:33 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!75,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

Loved the first episode this season!!
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Light Up The Sky

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Any of you all watch the Lego Star Wars holiday special on Disney+? Took a bit to get going but ended up a lot of fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23. Jedi McFly Liked This Post