SHOW REVIEWS June 1st - Tweeter Center (Tinley Park, IL) - Reviews ONLY! - Page 3
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Top Of The World
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

10.29.09 @ 01:50 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Donor

Hain bro, you need to burn it to a CD for me.

I'll get ya a blank if need be.
    CHICAGO WHITE SOX - 2005 WORLD CHAMPIONS

The Chicago White Sox (1901-present) - The Original SOX - Proof

The Boston Americans (1901)
    The Boston Somersets (1902)
    The Boston Pilgrims (1903-1906)
    The Boston Red Sox (1907-present) - Proof

The Pilgrims/Americans/Somersets whatever you want to call them, have NEVER displayed "SOX" anywhere on their caps, jerseys, or merchandise, therefore they shouldn't be referred to as such. However, the White Sox have used "SOX" since 1912.

The SOX are in Chicago...we just allow the Pilgrims/Americans/Somersets to use the name.

2007 Fantasy Football Champion

Top Of The World
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Donor

Originally posted by Bostonian:

Anyway, Dave's sound did clear up a little half way through his set. But at the very beginning of the show, he was very muddied, and you could not hear him very well. As for his voice, I thought he sounded okay and in fact much improved from some of his other shows I have heard on tape and CD post Van Halen. In terms seeing him live (my second time) I think it was on par with his show 2 years ago. My only complaint is that his show is way too canned. He needs to really interact with people. I also think if Mikey had took the stage with Dave, the show would have been different in feeling too. I couldn't help but think while Mikey's clone was up on stage, the real mikey was somewhere off stage watching the whole thing.
    Either way, Dave's show in general was very "textbook". Sammy's show was colorful and fucking FUN!

Dave's show was dark, and very down-to-business.

I loved them both, but if I had to compare their abilities at this point, it's Sam who hasn't changed at all. I've never heard "Can't Drive 55" any better. Awesome!

As for Yankee Rose, it sucked. Just like Eagles Fly...it sucked.

The Pilgrims/Americans/Somersets whatever you want to call them, have NEVER displayed "SOX" anywhere on their caps, jerseys, or merchandise, therefore they shouldn't be referred to as such. However, the White Sox have used "SOX" since 1912.

The SOX are in Chicago...we just allow the Pilgrims/Americans/Somersets to use the name.

Sinner's Swing!
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

the new ones...
    Last Online

06.01.16 @ 01:55 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

here i am!!! with my ass back in Brasil!!!

well, here goes my short review...

after hearing both of them in more than 400 boots, all i can say is that both of them HAD IT, STILL HAVE IT and WILL ALWAYS HAVE IT!!! [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]

no matter what you say, and no matter who do you think it's the best, they both sound great for 50 years old guys, they both act great for 50 years old guys... and they both freaking love what they do after 30 years. they both had huge smiles on their faces when staring at the crowd... [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Sammy did his job... had his set, his girls... and MA!!! this was the highlight to me... they both look like two old best friends who finally meet each other after a long break. it was good to see them together again.

I do think that Sammy should get rid of that guitar player... i don't like him and i think Sammy needs a better player, not only for the VH stuff but for his own... he's a rock star who should make "heavy metal noise".

Dave... well... Dave, although some of you may say that Dave was only being professional, i think he was having a great time, and most important... he realized that he's not 20 anymore...

i know... there were some Davisms here and there, but i think he wanted to rock hard and deliver the best performance he could... and he did it IMHO.

i can't tell you which one was the best that night... to me, they'll always be tied as the best lead singer ever... i'd say that it was more than worthy all the money and time i spent to see them live for the first time ever in my life. it was a very special moment for me. [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]

Jerel, thanks for the great night we had together. it was a great experience to meet you flash and blood! Anderson asked me to thank you for the T. he loved it!!! i also thank you for the cd and T (i loved both of them)!!! thanks man!!!

Bostonian, LS!!! thank you for all your kindness and patience with me and Anderson. you've been great and i'll be always greatfull. thank you!!!

hain, LA, i'm sorry we couldn't meet... i had i tight (spl????) schedule and (as LS and Bostonian told you) we almost missed the first minutes of the show... we couldn't make it to the Blue Iguana

i managed to take pictures of the show... i'll have them developed and i'll post here.

well, that's about it... i want to thank one more time Jerel, Lead Synth, Bostonian, Hain and LA and all of the Chicago fans (i might have forgotten someone) for your special atention and kindness... thank you!!!

f
    =\//-/= LIVE: once again, i'll make it!!!

The Full Bug
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Beautiful Girls!
    Last Online

10.08.20 @ 02:45 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Donor

Achievements:
    25,000 VHL Life PointsThee King
    Uncle Ted,

It was great being able to spend the evening with you, Anderson, LS and her sister! I also wish we could have chatted more, and I just check my PM's and saw you wrote me also! Anyway, anytime you're in Boston Uncle Ted, or for that matter any of you guys, we should definately hang out!

-Bostonian (Ben)

Top Of The World
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Donor

LA was there? What??

Top Of The World

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Many
    Last Online

05.12.06 @ 07:39 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

first off LS, I think MA gets younger! Look at him in 1986, and you think PIG. Now look at him, he's in shape, and he plays great.

Now I dont see how Dave can win with some of you. You want him to grow up, and act his age, and stop using his lines, but now you complain he flies through his show. What else is he gonna say really? He's Dave. If Dave was truly being Dave, talkin and hitting on women, a bunch of people would come on here and complain he is 50 years old and should give up the act

Ok my hilights of the night:

Sammy looks great, still a lil plump, but he's 54. I went absolutely nuts when Michael came on during TOTW, but settled down when Vic's guitar fucked up during the solo. Another of Sammy's hilights was Poundcake. I know what your all thinkin, but it wasnt just because of what was on the screen. It fit well with the song, and the song sounded fantastic. I wish they wouldve close with Right Now though.

DAve: RWTD. Sounded fantastic, and the whole crowd was singing this rock-anthem. ATBL was really cool I though just because it was classic, and after hearing it on ever single boot ever, I finally got to hear it for real with Dave!!! I thought Dave did a good rendition of Jump too. I also thought his sound was fine.
    I am awesome

Little Dreamer

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 05:00 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

In response to everyone talking about the sound...

I've been to the Tweeter Center for probably a dozen different shows over the years and the sound has been bad almost every time. Kind of sad when it sounds better on the way to the bathroom than it does in the pavillion...

Sinner's Swing!
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

11.10.21 @ 12:24 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    VHLinks Proud!15,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da RoundtablePadawan Praiser
    Hey I wonder just how much RedRocker does everyone on this weblink bleed? Hey I loved Hagar's set and Michael Anthony being there. Great stuff. Hagar's guitarist needed work. And that acapella version of Cabo Wabo coulda been left behind. This didn't hurt anything though. Hagar A+
    Dave A+ too.
    I loved Dave's set too. I will say Dave did almost fall yes and Hot For Teacher was muddied, but his show was excellent. That's a live show for you. I do agree Dave should put in a few more solo songs, let Sammy and Mike jam with him, and he should mix up his setlist. Yet I have to say I agree with the other thing someone else mentioned during the reviews. When Dave is serious his detractors complain-He's Not Dave. When he cut his hair and put away the spandex for YFLM they said _OH he's not Dave. He doesn't talk _he's not Dave. But when he talks it's too much. When he prances he's too over the top. He does kicks now. He's too old. His voice isn't what it was they say. I say Bull@&^%. Make up your minds people Everyone I asked who went. Have a different story. They loved Dave. A buddy of mine was in the section of the pavillion who said the area had nothing but fans going nuts for his set. I think it comes down to people's personal preference. I saw Hagar fans going nuts for Hagar. Yes. The age old who's better lives on. I say who cares. They both rock!!!! Dave fans will love Dave and Sammy fans will love Sammy so everyone came out a winner who went to see this show. Dave was right about one thing though. He will always get criticized for what he does and they'll make Sammy Hagar a congressman. That's cool. I hope everyone had fun at the show!! I am going to Alpine Valley June 8th. I'll be wearing the Van Halen t-shirt. Peace!
    "Great Things Like This Only Happen For The First Time Once..." Gary Busey

Top Of The World
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

02.22.16 @ 09:29 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Donor

Shit! LA, I was supposed to call you. My bad. [img]redface.gif[/img]
    www.mayakuper.com

"VH rocked Staples like a foot rocks grapes in Naples." - mistere

Little Dreamer

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Chicago is a one fun town. With only Will Call Obstructed View seats reserved because Tickets Master wanted to save the postage, we found our way to the 1st base ninth row at Wrigley, Comiskey’s warning track and the 14th row right in front of Brian.

The Iguana. Turned what we thought was going to be DLR party into a RedHead Shot or two. Met some cool die hard RedHeads. Even ran into someone from my SC high school days when Eddie still had a pair he could call his own.

The show. We all won on this one. As it has been posted already, Sammy’s put on a damn good show less the two cheesers. Almost the same Little White Lie show he put on in Columbia’s Township Auditorium when only 400 of 3,200 showed up at the traveling Cantina. So if you say Dave does the same stuff all the time, don’t forget that Sammy has been in the Cantina for several years now.

MA made it damn good. MA seemed to enjoy it more than any of us.

Dave. Thank-you. I have been waiting to hear Real Rock since the “1984” Carolina Coliseum Show. I knew the songs you were going to play and enjoyed every second and of course wish it could have kept going.

As a Die Hard -=VH=- fan, I have heard the best thing possible and will not crave as hard as I have in the past for Eddie to wake up.

I now hopefully look for the next DLR Band CD unless the Heavy Weights extend the tour to The South that I don’t think will happen.

Who won? Almost too close to call. We know what we wanted to hear.

Hey Hain if you are reading, what will it take to get a copy? I will even retire my handle to get one.

Rock-on!

Sinner's Swing!
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

the new ones...
    Last Online

06.01.16 @ 01:55 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Originally posted by Unchained Wolfie:
    Now I dont see how Dave can win with some of you. You want him to grow up, and act his age, and stop using his lines, but now you complain he flies through his show. What else is he gonna say really? He's Dave. If Dave was truly being Dave, talkin and hitting on women, a bunch of people would come on here and complain he is 50 years old and should give up the act
    well, i tried to say that it's good that Dave realized that people ALSO care about the music... not only about his Davisms...

i love the man... and i'd be pissed as hell if i had traveled that far not to hear the classic "LOOK AT ALL THE PEOPLE HERE TONITE!!!" and to see he screw light canons and JD bottles... you know... it's part of the show, it's Dave!!! but the good part is that besides that... he delivered a freaking ROCK'N'ROLL set...

he was better than i could expect... better than what i've been listen in hundreds of boots for the last decade.

[ June 04, 2002, 06:54 AM: Message edited by: uncle ted ]
    =\//-/= LIVE: once again, i'll make it!!!

Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

10.22.20 @ 06:15 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Well-Liked25,000 VHL Life PointsThee King
    ....it's as if Dave read this board, heard everyone bitching about him saying the same 1 liners all the time, and decided to not say anything......
    Eat Us and Smile!

Little Dreamer

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

I posted this elsewhere but I wanted to post it under the review page.

Sammy blew Dave out of the water in Chicago. And let me preface my comments by saying I love Dave era VH and I have never seen him live before. I have been waiting to see him for years and this was the next best thing to an actual reunion. Nevertheless, Sammy kicked all kinds of butt. He was even better than I remember him being in the 3 shows I saw him with in Van Halen.

If you don't believe me, ask the hundreds and hundreds of fans who left the show during Dave's set. The lawn was almost vacant by the end of the show, and no it was not because people were sneaking into the pavilion. People were getting bored of Dave's schtick and going home. After a four or five tunes, the initial excitement wore off and it became quickly apparent that the original VH is no more.

And yes, I do prefer Dave era to Sammy, but Dave just seemed like he was on a nostalgia trip living in the glory days. It had no feeling of being in the present. Dave looked in great shape, but he seemed more concerned with strutting around and doing kicks than actually singing. His voice fell apart repeatedly throughout the show.

I felt really sad and I suddenly realized that there is no way a Dave and Eddie reunion will happen, and I agree with Eddie that it shouldn't. Dave is simply living in the past, strutting around the stage like a vintage 1970's rock n roll peacock who has no idea that the 70's have been over for over 20 years. He is no longer relevant and doesn't seem to want to add anything new or interesting to the world of rock music. I think that the pipe dream is over. As much as I dream about a VH reunion, the fact is that its day has long since come and gone. David proved that fact Saturday night in Chicago. The Dream is over.

Sammy's set was full of energy and his usual cheeseball stuff, but it rocked and the Michael Anthony appearance had the crowd going wild. Sammy's voice was dead on and his band breathed new life into a lot of classic tunes and also the new ones, rather than simply running through the songs by the numbers like Dave's band (though they sounded technically solid, there was no real energy in the songs).

Sammy clearly won the round in Chicago and all of the folks I was there with agreed. And yes, they too normally prefer the Dave era over Sammy. I cannot say anything about the other shows on the tour. For those of you that think that Dave is playing great and Eddie should bring him back, you need to wake up and look around: 1984 is long gone. Someone needs to tell Dave.

Eruption

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

FAIR WARNING
    Favorite VH Song

SINNER\'S SWING
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

dave clearly dominated in chicago folks, someone needs to tell sammy this is rock n roll and not "rock n promo"!!

let the tequilla sell itself and travel agents promote mexico!!

what the heck is gonna happen when sammy runs out of special guests and has to do the show all by himself??? answer: the cleveland show and you saw what happened there.

sammy, it's not the 80's anymore, get a clue.
    TX7081040

Top Of The World
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Donor

Originally posted by TX7081040:
    dave clearly dominated in chicago folks, someone needs to tell sammy this is rock n roll and not "rock n promo"!!

let the tequilla sell itself and travel agents promote mexico!!

what the heck is gonna happen when sammy runs out of special guests and has to do the show all by himself??? answer: the cleveland show and you saw what happened there.

sammy, it's not the 80's anymore, get a clue.
    huh?