SHOW REVIEWS June 1st - Tweeter Center (Tinley Park, IL) - Reviews ONLY! - Page 2
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    The Full Bug
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Beautiful Girls!
    Last Online

10.08.20 @ 01:45 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Donor

Achievements:
    25,000 VHL Life PointsThee King
    Some other impressions of the show last night... First of Sam and then Dave.

Now that I have pretty much recovered from the lack of sleep (Slept on the flight back, and on the T-Ride home and when I got home) I want to mention some things I noticed at the show.

Sammy:
    First of all, this was my first time to see Sammy live period. I was rather impressed to say the least with the level of energy, interaction with the crowd and the "fun" factor of his show. It was like a huge party! Needless to say I was very taken over by it! Sammy looked like he was having a ball, and when Mikey came out on stage, you saw a Chemistry between two close friends who've enjoy each other's company. It was a genuine sense of community and fun! At the same time, it seems a lot more people were there for Dave rather than Sammy, and while Sammy drew a lot, my impression is that if Mikey wasn't the response to Sammy would have been less than it was. People were craving VH, and got at least half of it with Sammy. It really felt like a VH concert (sammy era).

Dave:
    When Dave came out, you got the sense of something great, or what was once great. Dave sounded great, had a lot of energy, the band was tight (for the most part), and was trying REALLY HARD to have the same old feel of VH. But, unfortunately he didn't come close. Something was missing greatly, and you could sense it. First Dave NEEDS to stop the canned performances. I can't speak for others, but I was sincerely hoping that Mikey would have come out for Dave too, and I think maybe this had an adverse affect on Dave. It seemed instead of the party that Sammy had, Dave was all business.. I am not saying Dave didn't have feeling, he did very muchso. But, it was he was more concerned with making it flawless rather than making it "fun" which Sammy had. There were some nice surpises though with the set, and especially Ice Cream Man, when Dave played the accoustic guitar. That was very impressive.

Overall I had an awesome time and both put on their game day faces. But, I can't help but think that people were there to see VH, and no Sammy or Dave by themselves. Chicago was salivating for the chance to get a little glimpse of that VH magic which is Dave, Sammy, Mikey, Alex and Eddie. It also seems that Sammy and Dave want VH back too, just by looking at the setlist, and the pictures on the jumbotron too. If anything, this is a tour of attrition, and its main message is for VH to get back together. Now that we can see that Sammy and Dave can share a stage, its now time to see eddie and alex get their act together too.

Anyway, I sincerely hope they come to Boston, because I would love to see them again too.

-Bostonian

The Full Bug
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Beautiful Girls!
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Donor

Achievements:
    Check out this review in the CHicago Tribune:

Rock review, Sammy Hagar and David Lee Roth at the Tweeter Center

By Brad Cawn

There's good news for disgruntled former Van Halen frontmen everywhere: If David Lee Roth and Sammy Hagar can make amends, there's hope for the happily washed-up rock star in all of us.
    An interesting marriage of convenience was on display Saturday: an odd couple with no love lost between them, who yet needed each other to fill out an amphitheater the size of the Tweeter Center. They also needed Eddie Van Halen's songs to make it work. He was quite the phantom menace this evening the subject of veiled insults from both vocalists, his touch was all over the two set lists, and despite the ambivalence of the stars, guitarists Brian Young and Victor Johnson both faithfully reproduced every lick and riff from the VH canon.

Roth, who guided Van Halen through its early breakthroughs, looked particularly ancient this evening, seeming none too dissimilar from Ricardo Montalban's titular figure in "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan." He flubbed his lines and karate kicked the air, totally oblivious to fact that what was once considered "flamboyant" is now meek and corny by even the most lenient standards. Time has passed him by.

But no matter: Roth is so beyond relevance that even he knows it, hence a set culled entirely of pre-1984 Halen except for his own "Yankee Rose." His ever-thinning voice was buried deep in the mix and his band raced through 20 numbers at a NASCAR-like speed. Roth showed flashes of the old energy in the opening for "Hot for Teacher," then sleepwalked through most of the blitzkrieg set ("Mean Street," "I'm the One"), finally waking up for a taut version of "Atomic Punk" before going limp again as he closed with "Jump."

Hagar, on the other hand, hasn't changed a bit; it might as well be 1982 for the journeyman rocker. It's become part of his charm, this innocent impermeability: he's still the regular guy who just wants to rock. There's never been anything flashy here, which is why, as vanilla as he is, he's still around.

He's probably performed Saturday's 17 song set a thousand times, a predictably automatic mix of his early solo hits ("I Can't Drive 55"), Van Halen chestnuts ("5150," "Dreams") and his latter-day numbers ("Mas Tequila") done so affably that his charm sells the songs. Joined by Halen bassist Michael Anthony, his four-piece band played it easy and simple: flying through "Top of the World," giving "Little White Lies" a bluesy flavor and playing "Poundcake" to a backdrop of "Girls Gone Wild" videos. His set begged the question: why quibble over the value of heavy-metal nostalgia when it sounds so gosh darn pleasant?

Top Of The World

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Many
    Last Online

05.12.06 @ 06:39 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

He's right. Dave has aged. His voice isnt bad, he doesnt have the scream anymore, but besides that its pretty good. He just doesnt have the charisma anymore. He acts like it's 1984, but he just cant pull it off. I had a great time seeing him dont get me wrong. I had a blast. But there is that void. He still does the kicks, and the lines but its not the same. He doesnt get around like he used to. Maybe its the absence of Eddie, I dunno, but it doesnt seem like the same Dave.

Now Sammy on the other hand....Add on a lil weight, and take off some of the hair, and you got Sammy via 1986 all over again. His voice is INCREIDLBE for a 54 year old man, not any worse than 1986. He doesnt jump around like he used to, but he totally makes up for it. He gets around the stage, never stops moving, and hes like having a party up there. He's got the drinks, and the women, and unlike Dave it doesnt look like hes trying to hard. He's just there to have a good time. Now Van Halen, give this guy a call, before it's too late!!! He is 54 and he isnt getting any younger. I think Eddie realizes he'll always be able to play guitar, but what he doesnt realize is Sammy wont always be able to get up on stage and do what he does now, and Dave has already taken a huge step down from his old self. Whoever Sam comes back with, I'll be there. Whether it be the Waboritas, Planet Us, or VH Ill be there. But for god sake break out some Montrose!!!
    I am awesome

Top Of The World
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

02.22.16 @ 08:29 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Donor

I think Sammy must have discovered the fountain of youth in Cabo or something. And as long as we're talking about it, howzabout Mikey?? I don't think this guy EVER changes!
    www.mayakuper.com

"VH rocked Staples like a foot rocks grapes in Naples." - mistere

Little Dreamer

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

All
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

I went to the Chicago show with my Wife, best friend and her Husband (who happens to be a Sammy nut). I am a HUGE Dave/VH fan. My buddy kept telling me that Sammy would blow Dave off the stage...I just laughed, because he'd obviously never seen Dave before.
    All I can say is that this has been a sad day for me.
    Sammy was great, and Dave was terrible. I agree that it looked as if his confidence was shaken by almost falling after that 1st kick. All I know is that SOMETHING was very wrong. The mix sounded really bad, like when you turn your stereo past loud, into distorted. Dave lacked energy and excitement. The newspaper review hit the nail on the head.."What used to pass as flambouyant is now cheesy and stale". I am truly sad. As Dave waved goodbye to the crowd, I silently said to myself..."Thanks Dave"...Knowing that this is (or should be) the end of an era.

The Full Bug
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Beautiful Girls!
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Donor

Achievements:
    LeadSynth,

Of course mikey hasn't changed. Mikey is the same mikey of 1979, 1982, 1984, 1986, 1989, 1996 and so on! He seems like the ONLY constant in VH [img]smile.gif[/img] I think if Mikey did change, then VH would be over, or as we say in Boston Ovah! I must say though, mikey did bring a lot of energy and well Mikey to the show.

-Bostonian

I'm The One

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, and the rest of the first 6 albums!
    Favorite VH Song

Everthing off of the first 6 albums!
    Last Online

01.10.09 @ 01:07 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

I think there are two shows now, where people said the sound and the mix sounded fucked up for DLR, so what the fuck is that all about???

Sabotage????

Top Of The World
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

02.22.16 @ 08:29 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Donor

I wanna know what was going on with the sound too! In a venue like that, the performers are so at the mercy of the person behind the board. All I know is that at this show, Dave's vocal and the guitar were buried in the mix under the drums, which were muddy as hell with cymbals bleeding all over the place. It's really a shame, because Dave's band doesn't suck. I bet it sounded better closer to the stage, though.
    www.mayakuper.com

"VH rocked Staples like a foot rocks grapes in Naples." - mistere

I'm The One

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Originally posted by Lead Synth:
    I wanna know what was going on with the sound too! In a venue like that, the performers are so at the mercy of the person behind the board. All I know is that at this show, Dave's vocal and the guitar were buried in the mix under the drums, which were muddy as hell with cymbals bleeding all over the place. It's really a shame, because Dave's band doesn't suck. I bet it sounded better closer to the stage, though.
    Sounds like some BS, SABOTAGE!!!!....Dave has to make sure that HIS OWN soundman is behind the Board. I know when I saw him in Philly, the sound was great.

Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

10.22.20 @ 05:15 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Well-Liked25,000 VHL Life PointsThee King
    I agree that the sound sucked!

actually it sucked for both of them.
    It was just a little too muddy for my tates.

However I got some bubblies I can use to clean the mix up a bit on my boots [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    Eat Us and Smile!

Little Dreamer

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

I think I found it, Daves vocal chord that is..I wish he had it for Saturdays show in Chicago!

i love Dave, but he can't sing anymore...period. His voice and show were disturbing. I thought he was going to have a heart attack after the opening 2 songs...maybe the coke was too much for his 48 year old body. He was in great shape physically, but not musically. The best sounding sounds were 'Little Dreamer" and "So this is Love".

It's easy to see why Eddie said David would never last a whole tour. It's show 3 and his voice is bad...imagine show 13....
    Also the Karate stuff was embarrassing, and what is the the hunting video's with the midget? I felt bad when he almost fell on his opening spin kick. While impressive for his age...it also showed his age!

Sammy was the same as always..though the pacing sucked the energy out of the show. He did an acoustic "Eagles Fly" which while good, sucked the energy out of the show...

The Winner of the Battle of Sam and Dave is Sammy by a nose....

Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

10.22.20 @ 05:15 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Well-Liked25,000 VHL Life PointsThee King
    I'm listening to Dave's set right now and it sounds like he had his vocals workin' [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    Eat Us and Smile!

Top Of The World
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

03.01.10 @ 10:22 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Donor

Originally posted by daveslostvocalchord:
    I think I found it, Daves vocal chord that is..I wish he had it for Saturdays show in Chicago!

i love Dave, but he can't sing anymore...period. His voice and show were disturbing. I thought he was going to have a heart attack after the opening 2 songs...maybe the coke was too much for his 48 year old body. He was in great shape physically, but not musically. The best sounding sounds were 'Little Dreamer" and "So this is Love".

It's easy to see why Eddie said David would never last a whole tour. It's show 3 and his voice is bad...imagine show 13....
    Also the Karate stuff was embarrassing, and what is the the hunting video's with the midget? I felt bad when he almost fell on his opening spin kick. While impressive for his age...it also showed his age!

Sammy was the same as always..though the pacing sucked the energy out of the show. He did an acoustic "Eagles Fly" which while good, sucked the energy out of the show...

We sure seem to have a lot of "newbies" submitting reviews of this tour...

I'm The One

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Originally posted by Guitar Shark:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by daveslostvocalchord:

We sure seem to have a lot of "newbies" submitting reviews of this tour...</font>[/QUOTE]Yep, I noticed that a few days ago, whatever...

The Full Bug
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Beautiful Girls!
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Donor

Achievements:
    Hain you have a copy of the show?? [img]smile.gif[/img]

Anyway, Dave's sound did clear up a little half way through his set. But at the very beginning of the show, he was very muddied, and you could not hear him very well. As for his voice, I thought he sounded okay and in fact much improved from some of his other shows I have heard on tape and CD post Van Halen. In terms seeing him live (my second time) I think it was on par with his show 2 years ago. My only complaint is that his show is way too canned. He needs to really interact with people. I also think if Mikey had took the stage with Dave, the show would have been different in feeling too. I couldn't help but think while Mikey's clone was up on stage, the real mikey was somewhere off stage watching the whole thing.