Unchained
    Last Online

Today @ 03:23 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Pic PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily Poster350,000 VHL Life PointsThee King
    If you went to the August 1st show, please feel free to add a reply with your review here.

Let's try to keep this thread for REVIEWS ONLY, and not for discussion. That way, it will be easy for people to read them.

If you want to discuss this particular show, just make a new thread for that.

Thanks!
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - The Internet's Largest Van Halen Fan Forum
    http://www.vhlinks.com

Check Out My YouTube Guitar Videos!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar
    Direct Link To Subscribe To My Channel!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar?sub_confirmation=1

Join the VHLinks Facebook Group!

Bullethead

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Eruption,HFT,Mean Street,Humans Being
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Brian Young was great and as a guitarist I was floored when he played his guitar with two hands over the fretboard like a keyboard... has Ed ever done that?

Ed utilizes this technique in his "Judgement Day" solo.

Runnin' With The Devil
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

The Full Bug
    Last Online

12.29.19 @ 09:46 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Here's how it was from 3rd row center. AWESOME!!!! I went in prepared to see both shows, but after Dave, I found Sammy a bit anticlimatic. I'm not saying that Sammy wasn't great. He was. But I'm not a Sammy Hagar fan, I'm a Van Halen fan and after seeing David Lee Roth on Thursday night, I say with all conviction that David Lee Roth is Van Halen. Sammy is great at being Sammy and he should stay that way.

Dave looked unbelievable and having seen him with Van Halen and on his own, he wasn't any different. Oh maybe he can't kick as high. He sounded great despite lousy sound and the crowd got off on him as much as he did on them. Everyone was singing and dancing and he held the mic out a few times. I got the impression and I know I didn't want it to end. I wanted at least three more encores.

My impression is that more people are taken by the stage set up with Sammy's show and of course, having Michael Anthony come out. That's like a stamp of approval right there. So Dave's the underdog and I guess I always root for the underdog. But consider this, and I'm not saying Sammy or Dave won. In my opinon, they both put on fantastic shows. All that shit with the crowd up in the bleachers and the strippers and all that. You've never seen that at a Van Halen show and I hope you never will. Van Halen is stripped down, bare bones rock. They might have a massive stage, but it's all sound.

I felt like I saw Van Halen again. I really did! Dave is hands down the best (and sexiest) front man on the planet. He belongs with Ed, Al, and Mike. If Sammy gets back with the band, it's going to be for a "project" because Sammy is a solo artist and he's put together a fine band now. If Dave gets back with Van Halen, it's long term.

I'm biased towards Dave and I'm not afraid to admit it, but I thought both shows were equal in Sammy and Dave's ability to sing, strut, and relate to the crowd. I just wish someone would give Dave the credit he's due, but you know what, I don't think he gives a shit. He gets out there and does his thing and he doesn't have to pay strippers to serve him anything because from the 3rd row, that man is hot enough to have the strippers paying him!

And I don't need Van Halen to come back and top the charts, win Grammy's, or public opinion polls and critics hearts. They never did before and I loved them, so my vote is for Dave. Sammy should stay in Cabo.
    Could this be magic?

Romeo Delight

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

5150,Balance,VH I
    Favorite VH Song

Poundcake,Best Of Both Worlds (live)
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

I too was at the show in Tampa,I woulda put this up Friday but I didn't get a chance

Right off the bat I am going to admit I am a total Hagar mark.With that being said here is the show I saw Thursday night at the Ice Palace

Dave:
    I had very little expectations for DLR going in.I love old VH but had never seen him live.He was good for what he is.I don't remember him ever claiming to be the best singer in the world.He ran out of gas towards the end,but overall he was decent.The crowd was really into it which as far as I am concerned is all that matters

Sammy:
    I have seen Sammy several times and his voice was incredible,He sounds as good as ever and he is hands down the best singer in rock and roll in his age group.He could step back into VH tomorrow if he wanted too.

Overall:
    Although from what I saw the Sammy shirts were 4 or 5 to 1 over Dave shirts,the crowd went nuts for both guys.The crowd reaction was pretty even,they loved both guys

I had a helluva time and well worth the $65 per ticket.I hope they can keep the tour going till the end so the rest of the country can get to the the tour of the year

I'm The One

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 11:04 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable
    http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/sptimes/...?ts=1028555005
    Blond bombshells Series: 2B; CONCERT REVIEW
    St. Petersburg Times; St. Petersburg, Fla.; Aug 2, 2002; GINA VIVINETTO;

Abstract:
    So, who's the better [Eddie Van Halen] singer, David Lee Roth or Sammy Hagar? Fans - 8,233 of them - decided for themselves Thursday at the Ice Palace as the dueling blond rock icons took the stage in separate sets, singing their respective hits from the band that canned both of them. Roth, 46, and Hagar, 54, claim they still aren't keen on one another, but they do know a good business venture when the agents call.

Hagar doesn't work the stage as much as Roth mostly because he's too busy playing guitar. A formidable axman in his own right, Hagar probably grew weary of playing second fiddle to Eddie Van Halen's virtuosity. Now free to shine on his own, Hagar did just that, proving his pipes have held up better than Roth's and probably his career, too. You get the feeling Hagar considers his stint in Van Halen just that, something he did for a while there, between solo ventures.

Full Text:
    Copyright Times Publishing Co. Aug 2, 2002

So, who's the better Van Halen singer, David Lee Roth or Sammy Hagar? Fans - 8,233 of them - decided for themselves Thursday at the Ice Palace as the dueling blond rock icons took the stage in separate sets, singing their respective hits from the band that canned both of them. Roth, 46, and Hagar, 54, claim they still aren't keen on one another, but they do know a good business venture when the agents call.

Roth, or "Diamond Dave" as Van Halen fans know him, was the band's original flamboyant singer. Known for wild stage antics - splits, kicks, and spastic yelps - Roth is a star with an ego the size of the solar system. Dressed in skin-tight flashy gold lame, with his long hair more wispy now, Roth opened with the naughty little boy anthem Hot For Teacher.

Backed by a top-notch band whose sound was unfortunately gobbled up by muddy acoustics, Roth wailed on Dance The Night Away, Runnin' With the Devil and the appropriately arrogant I'm the One.

Fans didn't seem to mind a spotty rendition of the Kinks classic You Really Got Me, which Van Halen early on made its own, thanks largely to guitarist Eddie Van Halen's hyperkinetic opener Eruption, played reverently by Roth's axman.

With his shirt open and a bandana around his neck, Roth looked like he'd been in 1984 forever. Considering his career since has consisted of resurrecting his former band's hits, it's an apropos costume. Roth reminded fans why he's considered one of rock's greatest front men, pouting, preening, rubbing himself and working that mike stand.

Fans relish the cockiness, screaming for more when Roth sang Everybody Wants Some, his voice a bit gruffer now. Roth left the crowd chaotic as he baton-twirled a mike stand, finally tossing it aside, during his encore, the monster hit Jump.

Hagar's repertoire was more expansive, including not only the hits he sang for Van Halen before being dismissed, but songs he sang in his early 1970s hard rock band Montrose, and several from his successful pre-Van Halen solo career including Three Lock Box.

Hagar doesn't work the stage as much as Roth mostly because he's too busy playing guitar. A formidable axman in his own right, Hagar probably grew weary of playing second fiddle to Eddie Van Halen's virtuosity. Now free to shine on his own, Hagar did just that, proving his pipes have held up better than Roth's and probably his career, too. You get the feeling Hagar considers his stint in Van Halen just that, something he did for a while there, between solo ventures.

There was no tempering Hagar on the buoyantly cheesy There's Only One Way To Rock as "fans" in mock bleachers on the stage behind him waved banners and cheered. Momentum built with the hits Right Now and Best of Both Worlds.

Fans thrilled as Hagar riffed on Van Halen's perfect pop gem Finish What Ya Started and cheered wildly toward the end of his set, as Hagar blasted a pummeling I Can't Drive 55

Little Dreamer

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

ou812
    Favorite VH Song

Cabo Waba
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Hay all you Vh fans!!!! I was at the Tampa show and I thought Sammy won hands down, It seemed to mee that DLR just does not have it anymore, somewhere along the road DLR lost it,This coming from a girl who saw my first VH show in 1983 in Phila, with VH opening 4 Black Sabath!!! And I have also seen DLR solo in 1988 Just like livin' in Paridise tour!! Anyway on to Tampa show, I was lucky enough to be in the Cantina, Those bleachers never stopped rocking, Sammy kicked ass!!! I was wondering if anyone got any pictures of Sammy and cantina in background ,I would love to get a picture of me with my new Favorite singer.Please let me know how to get a hold of you thanks!!! [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]
    how 'bout a 9 on a 10 scale

Little Dreamer

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

I can only choose one???
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

I don't have much of a review here, but I was there. I am more of a fan of Sammy than of Dave, but I think that Dave totally rocked right along with Sammy! [img]smile.gif[/img] I have one question, during Hot for Teacher, was that staged when that guy threw up that CD and Dave totally stopped. I mean it seemed so staged!!! Anyway, Sam and Dave were both great... It kind of sucked when people sat for Eagle's Fly and then they started jamming. I was the only one person standing in my area when Sammy played that. How can you sit at a concert like that??? [img]smile.gif[/img] Well, I just thought I'd add my 2 cents since I haven't been around in awhile!
    Moo [img]smile.gif[/img]