PDA

View Full Version : Loopfest / Chicago July 15, 2006

ZachenFoot
05.09.06, 02:55 PM
http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/5895/loopfest20063fu.jpg

Here is where everyone coming out to Chicago, or you Loyal Loopers from the Illinois area, can discuss everything about Loopfest, from Sammy, to the upcoming acts who are slated to perform before Sammy, to roll-call's, seats, etc. at the 2006 Loopfest at the First Midwest Bank Amphitheatre in Tinley Park, IL.

So, speak up Loopers and Sammy fans!

My seats are about Section 206, Row QQ, Seats 7-8. I got them at the Loop pre-sale and should've taken Greenpaw's advice by waiting until the actual sale, in order to possibly get better seats.

LoveWalkinIn
05.09.06, 04:43 PM
I'll probably be there. I've been to LoopFest several times now, the Sammy/Journey year was the best one. I think that was 3 yrs ago, or so. It was an awesome show. I can't lie, the Loop seems to constantly present groups who are so washed up that the Loop doesn't really even play their stuff, i.e. 38 Special and Tesla. Hopefully they get some other good groups to play w/Sammy this year. Otherwise I'm just gonna catch him and the "other half" in Milwaukee the next weekend.

Menlow
05.09.06, 04:49 PM
Will they be serving any ribs at this shindig?

Sorry, couldn't resist. :D

ZachenFoot
05.09.06, 07:05 PM
I'll probably be there. I've been to LoopFest several times now, the Sammy/Journey year was the best one. I think that was 3 yrs ago, or so. It was an awesome show. I can't lie, the Loop seems to constantly present groups who are so washed up that the Loop doesn't really even play their stuff, i.e. 38 Special and Tesla. Hopefully they get some other good groups to play w/Sammy this year. Otherwise I'm just gonna catch him and the "other half" in Milwaukee the next weekend.

Sammy / Journey was '03 if I recall correctly.

I'm just excited for Sammy. I don't really care who else is performing, honestly.

Greenpaw
05.09.06, 08:15 PM
http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/4332/livinitup4wr.jpg

To Sammy,Mike and the Wabos:

Please play "Summer Nights".

Thank you :cool:

extreme red roth
05.10.06, 02:51 AM
I'll be there on the lawn with 12 of my closest friends and relatives.
Can't wait.

Summer Nights and my radio. Indeed.

RayBan
05.13.06, 07:14 AM
Of course were there section 205 row aaa
we were a click away from stage tickets and the screen came back sorry sold out booo!
Chicago redheads unite!!
PS Sammy invite Edward thank you ;)

Heavy Metal
05.19.06, 09:43 PM
I'll be in attendance that day in the lawn. Are there going to be anymore artists added to the show for Loopfest?

ZachenFoot
05.19.06, 10:52 PM
I'll be in attendance that day in the lawn. Are there going to be anymore artists added to the show for Loopfest?

Of course there will be, but apparently they haven't found anyone yet or are just not willing to announce it.

RayBan
05.22.06, 06:40 PM
I bet their going to keep announcing special guests to keep ticket sales going.They probably know who their working with. They should get Alice Cooper, that would be cool...

Dave's Dreidel
05.23.06, 06:13 AM

CBS says Dave is available :thumb:

extreme red roth
05.23.06, 03:17 PM
CBS says Dave is available :thumb:

I actually wasn't ruling this out until Dave announced his show at HOB.

BradL.
05.26.06, 05:22 PM
Why is the Loop not announcing any more acts? Tickets are selling at a snails pace. Has anyone heard any thing? Rumors even. I bought six tickets early because the seats were so damn good but wheres the other bands?? :brickwall

LoveWalkinIn
05.30.06, 06:45 PM
Why is the Loop not announcing any more acts? Tickets are selling at a snails pace. Has anyone heard any thing? Rumors even. I bought six tickets early because the seats were so damn good but wheres the other bands?? :brickwall They're probably having a hard time finding anyone decent. They're already advertising Sammy as the headliner. What act that is good is going to open for Sammy. I can't really think of any, my money is on 38 Special!:sleep: They're the kings of providing filler at these radio station "extravaganzas." I imagine that once they know who else is going to be there, they'll announce it. We'll just have to sit tight.

BradL.
06.04.06, 02:26 AM
They're probably having a hard time finding anyone decent. They're already advertising Sammy as the headliner. What act that is good is going to open for Sammy. I can't really think of any, my money is on 38 Special!:sleep: They're the kings of providing filler at these radio station "extravaganzas." I imagine that once they know who else is going to be there, they'll announce it. We'll just have to sit tight.
Hell Id rather see Jackyl.She loves my c@@k!

BradL.
06.08.06, 12:34 PM
http://www.roadrun.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=53433

BradL.
06.09.06, 06:49 AM
Featuring Sammy Hagar & the Wabos, "The Other Half" featuring Van Halen Bassist Michael Anthony & Sammy Hagar. AND JUST ADDED: a second stage featuring Off Broadway.

OMG,who is off broadway? :brickwall

Greenpaw
06.09.06, 01:07 PM
Summertime, Halen Tunes, Sammy, Mikey, the wabos.........

That's what I'm talkin about.

http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/6506/livincoverfinal300copy3fj.jpg

Shameless plea #2

Thank you :cool:

BradL.
06.09.06, 01:22 PM
With Sammy Hagar & the Wabos, "The Other Half" featuring Sammy & Van Halen Bassist Michael Anthony. AND JUST ADDED: Guitar great Eric Johnson, and a second stage headlined by local favorites Off Broadway and Beatallica (Beatles covers done to the tune of METALLICA). :wtf:

LoveWalkinIn
06.13.06, 05:14 PM
Eric Johnson! That's gonna be sweet. And actually, I've listened to Beatallica before, it's pretty interesting. The bottom line is that the Loop dug its own grave when they decided to wrap Loopfest around the already scheduled Sammy show. What good, high profile act would come and OPEN for Sammy? I've got the answer, no one! And I think Eric Johnson is plenty high profile for a gig like this, who did you want, 38 Special?

Fontcow
06.14.06, 10:06 AM
OMG,who is off broadway? :brickwallA midwest band who had a minor hit in the late 70s called "Stay In Time" which sounded kind of like The Cars. They were part of that late 70s/early 80s new wave scene.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000002JA7/102-4274763-7728134?v=glance&n=5174

That's the only Off-Broadway I know or remember.

ZachenFoot
06.16.06, 12:52 AM
I like Off Broadway. Probably because my dad grew up a big fan and I'm pretty familiar with the music. I look forward to seeing them :thumb:

BradL.
06.16.06, 12:18 PM
Well when I buy 6 tickets to Loop "Fest" with more acts to be announced I expected national acts or at least something along the lines of what theyve done in the past. These acts blow and you know it. If youre a fan of Off Broadway than Im happy for you. But I dont remember any of these bands being played on the Loop. :mad:

I dont understand why some here keep saying who would open for Sammy. I really dont get that statement. There are plenty of bands doing small clubs and fairs that are doing alot worse. Im sure Great White would have opened.

LoveWalkinIn
06.19.06, 05:31 PM
Do you not know who Eric Johnson is? Because he is certainly more high profile than Great White. I think Loopfest is typically a really crappy show. It certainly was the last few yrs. The yr they had Sammy and Journey and Heart and Styx, that was a good lineup. But then they get Tesla as a headliner??? Nobody has listened to Tesla in yrs! The main problem w/making this show Loopfest, was that it wasn't supposed to be Loopfest. This was just a half-assed attempt to wrap Loopfest around an already scheduled Sammy show. I mean, who knows, maybe Loopfest wasn't even going to happen this year.

Greenpaw
06.20.06, 09:51 AM
But then they get Tesla as a headliner??? Nobody has listened to Tesla in yrs!

No way dude, Tesla's last album (in 2004) was awesome.

Loopfest actually had some bigger name acts that year along with Tesla; ZZ Top, Blue Oyster Cult and the bullshit Doors with Ian Astbury.
http://www.mk-magazine.com/news/archives/2004LoopFest.jpg

That show tanked because it was on July 4th, who the hell wants to go to an all day concert on the 4th? :wtf:

And that year with Styx and Heart, that one sucked because it was 2 different days. I wanted to see Heart, but I'm not gonna go JUST to see Heart. I went to the Sammy night and then bailed shortly after Journey started, they were pretty bad.

What do you expect from the Loop though? These are the bands they play on their station (that they can actually afford to do Loopfest), it shouldn't be any surprise. It's not like they are gonna get Metallica or Aerosmith.

Heavy Metal
06.20.06, 04:23 PM
Mikey was on the Loop being interviewed right before 4pm today and of course all I heard was the end of it. The DJ thanked Mikey and stated he had never heard Mikey be so honest in an interview in the last 12 years he has tried to and/or interviewed him. Would of loved to heard it.

LoveWalkinIn
06.21.06, 05:00 PM
I heard the whole thing, he was talking a lot about the interview in Burnn. He spoke frankly about how Eddie didn't even want him to be part of the reunion, and how he took a pay cut to be part of it. The dj praised him as one of the most down to earth musicians/rock stars out there (I couldn't agree more) and went on about what an important part of the band he is.

Mikey discussed how he talked w/the =VH= bros about doing a side project yrs ago w/Sammy and Neal Schon, and that they gave him their blessing, then shortly after changed their mind and were enraged when he went out on the Sam and Dave tour. He went on to say that he's tired of telling everyone that =VH= is on a hiatus, when in fact nothing at all is happening w/=VH=, and nothing has been happening in any way, shape, or form, since the 2004 tour ended. He just said he wants to get out and play some music and have some fun, and that's what he is doing right now w/Sammy. Basically, he said he is in the woods just as much as any of us are as to whether or not there will ever be another =VH= reunion.

BradL.
06.22.06, 02:58 PM
Well you kids have fun at fruit loop fest my tix are ebay bound. Not gonna waste my time again on another loop scam. Especially one that says more acts to be announced.
I was able to score excellent seats for aerosmith motley crue,section 102 on the first day of the presale so hope to see some of ya there,later.

BREW CREW
06.22.06, 11:08 PM
Well you kids have fun at fruit loop fest my tix are ebay bound. Not gonna waste my time again on another loop scam. Especially one that says more acts to be announced.
I was able to score excellent seats for aerosmith motley crue,section 102 on the first day of the presale so hope to see some of ya there,later.WHy is it a scam dude? Sammy and Mikey AND Eric Johnson is a scam? What did you pay for the E-bay bound tix and why are you selling them? Maybe you paid too much for what you wanted....what exactly do you expect now-days without knowing the fest bands beforehand? :confused:

BREW CREW
06.24.06, 07:11 PM
http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/4332/livinitup4wr.jpg

Thank you :cool:Are you going to the show? Who is going from the Chicago area???

ZachenFoot
06.24.06, 09:04 PM
Are you going to the show? Who is going from the Chicago area???

I would be one of those people, BREW! And lately, I've been gearing up for this show. I mean, I've been bashing Sammy for the Eddie shit-talkin' lately, and I still stand by that, but I just recently started to gear up for this one! Hoping for a great show! :thumb:

LoveWalkinIn
06.26.06, 08:25 AM
I will be there as well BREW, should be a good time.

racefan8
06.26.06, 02:06 PM
OK, who wants to have burgers and beer before the show in Matteson? The bar is at 216th and Main (across from the Matteson Metra stop) in old Matteson. It's called Freeh's Again and I know the owner. The burgers are the best you'll ever have. The venue is only about 20 minutes from the bar. Paw, LWI, BREW, Zeo, & me for starters?? VHrocks2005, I may be able to get you in for the burger, no beer, though. Sorry kid ;)

Heavy Metal
06.26.06, 04:42 PM
OK, who wants to have burgers and beer before the show in Matteson? The bar is at 216th and Main (across from the Matteson Metra stop) in old Matteson. It's called Freeh's Again and I know the owner. The burgers are the best you'll ever have. The venue is only about 20 minutes from the bar. Paw, LWI, BREW, Zeo, & me for starters?? VHrocks2005, I may be able to get you in for the burger, no beer, though. Sorry kid ;)

Fudd Ruckers for Burgers is the place to go in Matteson, esp. with those fries.

ZachenFoot
06.26.06, 04:54 PM
VHrocks2005, I may be able to get you in for the burger, no beer, though. Sorry kid ;)

Aww, come on! :D

I'm starting to look forward to this show, now! Really getting excited. Probably gonna see a few of you there, too! Where are everyone's seats at?

racefan8
06.27.06, 09:14 PM
Aww, come on! :D

I'm starting to look forward to this show, now! Really getting excited. Probably gonna see a few of you there, too! Where are everyone's seats at?
Lawn only :)

Michaels
07.14.06, 09:34 PM
I'll be there, should be a great time!!

Heavy Metal
07.15.06, 09:32 AM
I will be there in the Lawn tonight, so if you see a guy about 6'3 with a shaved head and a Michael Jordan Black Chicago Bulls Jersey on, lets have have a beer or 3. Since it will be in the 90's today, I am sure we won't be up there until 6pm.

RayBan
07.16.06, 10:07 AM
F%CK!N RIGHT ON!
The other half kicked!! MIchael Anthony walks out of a cloud of smoke to unleash a bass solo that reminds you how incredible 1/2 of the both halves are! SUMMER NIGHTS! Runnin With The Devil! Eric Johnson joining em on stage. YES Sammys show was very good I think it was excelllent actually but I was as happy to see the other 1/2 as I was hoping to be. KICK A$$!
As a bonus about 1/2hour before we were leaving I hit up the loop website to check on start times, on a whim clicked on the purchase tickets and scored 15th row center. SWEET!!!! The other 1/2 tour shirt is a keeper ;)

Rock on Chicago Van Halen FANATICS, :thumb: ROCK ON!!

OK So WHO has the show recorded and when are we treeing that mofo :)

ZachenFoot
07.16.06, 12:20 PM
OK So WHO has the show recorded and when are we treeing that mofo :)

Honestly. I tried filming parts, but the asshole next to me screwed up most of them.

Great show. Review later :cool:

The J Man
07.16.06, 07:43 PM
Fudd Ruckers for Burgers is the place to go in Matteson, esp. with those fries.

Fudd's rocks! I used to go there all the time but don't as much. Damn good burgers but a little on the expensive side.

Foamfoot
07.16.06, 08:47 PM
Set list?!??!?!?!?

DreamIsOver
07.16.06, 09:18 PM
Set list?!??!?!?!?

The Wabo's set was the same as he's been doing and this is what the Other Half played. FWYS was very cool with Eric Johnson doing some extended soloing. Sammy called him "one of the top three guitarists in the world"
I'm pretty sure this is all they played but I might have forgotten something, FWYS was twice as long as normal.
Bass Solo
Running With The Devil
Top of the World
Why Can’t This Be Love
Good Enough
Summer Nights
Finish What You Started w/ Eric Johnson
Best of Both Worlds
Summertime Blues/Fight For Your Right To Party

My full review will follow on Monday.

ZachenFoot
07.16.06, 11:30 PM
VHLINKS FAN REVIEW OF LOOPFEST 2006
By Zach Bernard

It was a hot summer night in Tinley Park. 95 degrees and eight hours of sweat, headaches, and standing in nothing but heat. Cabo Wabo Village? I wasn't impressed, and neither was my father. Maybe because the Loop stuff was so much better. Seriously...

Off Broadway was fantastic! They only did about seven songs, but those guys are tight. Splendid performance that I'm glad I saw. Makes me wonder why they never "made it." Got some lovely pics from them that I will post later.

Beatallica. Let me say this, it's one of the dumbest assed concepts I've ever seen. We ate dinner during most of their set. However, I think they're tight, and gotta be pretty damn creative to have come up with what they have. I was impressed.

Eric Johnson. I went in thinking it would be 45 minutes of wailing guitars. The music was extremely solid. I had no idea he had such a wide collection. What a fantastic performance. Again, I was impressed.

So Erin Carmen (sp?) goes on stage and introduces Sammy even though we had 20 minutes until his stage time. We watched the Cabo Wabo Montage, and I could've lived without it.

Sammy Hagar took the stage at 8:22 pm.

Mas Tequila – Immediate crowd pleaser. Got my fists pumping, screaming lyrics. You see, the first two Hagar shows I attended, I didn’t know it, and last year I didn’t get into it because of where it was in the setlist. What a way to start a show!

Mexico – Hate it on record; hate what I heard from Detroit. But man, did this kick tonight. Major plus, I really enjoyed it.

There’s Only One Way to Rock – How do you NOT enjoy this song? I can’t say anything bad about it. Another crowd pleaser…

Rainy Day Women – Please Sammy, drop this from the setlist and save everyone from what I had to go through tonight. I mean, it’s a fun sing-along, but for crissake, it’s filler in the set!

Shaka Doobie – What can I say, I prefer it somewhere in the middle of the set? It’s great! Underrated for sure. But man, I sung this one all the way through.

The Girl Gets Around – I’d say there were maybe three major highlights tonight, and this was one. Always been a favorite Hagar tune (top 5 at least!) and it was a treat to see it. Vic plays the fuck outta that! Definitely impressed…

Rock Candy – Eh. I love the song on Montrose’s album. Call me crazy, but there was always something missing in Sam’s solo performances of the song (or any Montrose song for that matter). So it was alright for me…

I’ll Fall in Love Again – Major surprise as to how people started sitting down to this one, or going to take a piss. Why? It’s such a classic! I enjoyed it, but was disappointed in the fans in a way, at least the ones around me.

Let Me Take You There – All I can remember is my dad dancing like a fool. I loved the song, just didn’t care much for Sammy’s rapping and the song slowing down in the middle. It was cool, but got tiring after awhile.

Sam I Am – Loved the electric version! Great, fist-pumpin’ tune!

Vic & Sammy Jam / Little White Lie – I sat down during the jam. Kinda relaxing to me. I always believed Sammy was one of the most underrated guitar players out there. What fast hands. I really got into this one as well, being one of my favorite Hagar tunes.

I Can’t Drive 55 – Need I say more? How was ICD55 at YOUR show? Exactly. For a low amount of 12,000 people (very disappointing turnout), the crowd involvement on this was amazing!

Heavy Metal – Again, amazing crowd involvement. I always loved the Mona / Vic sharing vocals. Always a highlight…

…Set Break…

Ultra Bass – Bass solos of his taken from 1981 to 1995, from what it seemed. More towards the CVH era, though. Gave me chills seeing him on-stage, especially the air-raid thing he does with the flanger at the end. Never got to see that personally and it’s really cool!

Runnin’ With the Devil – We could’ve done without Hagar’s screams. Hell, I always thought Roth’s were pointless on record. Mike kicked arse on this one! I screamed this one, man. Amazing and energetic.

Top of the World – Whether you like it or not (and I choose the latter), you can’t help but sing along to it. It’s just unbelievably catchy live! It was alright, I could’ve done without it, though…

Why Can’t This Be Love – Another ‘Eh’ for me. Just didn’t work. But it’s so damn catchy and ya gotta sing to it!

Good Enough – Sam spoke, did the who ‘Double, Double’ thing, but his speech was priceless. I have a bad memory which it was, but he was talking about wearing sombreros and getting arrested by cops at night for that. Exact quote:

“Cops pull me over for that shit all the time! They tell me ‘get out of the car, recite the alphabet backwards.’ Shit, I can’t even recite the alphabet backwards when I’m sober!”

Of the three highlights I mentioned, this would be #2. I wanted to film it, but damn, I had to pump my fists, band my head. The tune was so damn powerful, I couldn’t help myself! I just started screaming my ass off when I heard “Hellllooooo baaaaaabbbaaayyyy!!!!”And if I were to close my eyes, I could swear Mr. Edward Van Halen was on lead guitar. Major props to Vic for the way he handled this one.

Summer Nights – You know, I may be biased, but I’ve heard a few shows from the tour, and Sammy’s interactions and speeches were so much different and unique with us than other places (sorry Detroit). He talks about Vic and how Summer Nights was the most requested song (paraphrasing):

“You’d think that, with a brother like Vic with me, I’d be safe everywhere I go. But I get abused, especially when we go to the Weenie Circle. Girls still be goin’ up to me sayin’ [in best black girl impression] ‘What you bringin’ this tall motherfucker in here? Him and his bald ass…’”

“Summer Nights was the most requested song for VH in ’04. But you gotta realize we had to make sacrifices because we just couldn’t handle playin’ all night! I can’t even handle that, [laughs] shit. We’ll be playing until 9am when Ozzfest comes in tomorrow and we’ll STILL be here!”

If I could have a fourth highlight, it would be this. A hot, sticky day at 95 degrees in an amphitheatre for six hours, what a better ode to that? Vic NAILED it. I had it on video, but the damn 18 year old stoner next to me ruined it with his God awful attempts to sing like Mike Anthony. He ruined all my damn videos! The song was great though, and I was pleased…

Finish What Ya Started – It’s the third highlight. You must be asking “why?” Well, because Mr. Eric Johnson, the man who performed before Sammy, came on to perform with the band. So you had two bassists (I SWEAR I saw two) and THREE guys on electric guitar. How insane is that? You know how loud that was? Incredible…

Best of Both Worlds – They marched. I pumped my fists in section 207, WAY back from the stage (pics SUCK, so I won’t bother to post them). Great tune, I enjoyed it.

Fight For Your Right to Party – Started with Summertime Blues, but guest starred Bling Bling, which definitely was fun! Great closer. Everyone sang along, and what a way to close a great night!

Sammy Hagar left the stage around 10:43pm

Sammy has proven himself as my favorite entertainer who I've seen personally. What a talent, what a great show, and he hasn't disappointed me once. Cheers Sam, you out-did yourself! See ya next summer!

So I'll give the night an A. The issues were the heat. Terrible today. However, the Loop did a fantastic job with the set-up and all the bands were on top of their game.

I said I would record videos. Unfortunately, I was seated next to that 18 year old stoner who fucked up my recordings. Bastard. So, I do apologize. Sammy pics turned out like garbage too. I'll show all the pics I feel are necessary.

Me and Loop Rock Girl Crystal (squinting due to sunlight)
http://img240.imageshack.us/img240/5889/loopfest71506001nk2.jpg

I couldn't get any Eric Johnson pics because of my place in the theatre and sunlight. However, I managed a screen pic during "Finish What Ya Started."
http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/4206/loopfest71506078gn9.jpg

This is seriously the best shot I could get from my seats:
http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/6979/loopfest71506079wt5.jpg

RayBan
07.17.06, 07:34 AM
How can I forget - not only was it extremely hot "weather wise" but Erin Carmen from the LOOP?! DAMN!!!!

Heavy Metal
07.17.06, 05:25 PM
With the exception of the Sam and Dave tour, I always seem to leave a Hagar concert a little disappointed. Loop Fest was no different. I kept hearing he was going to play for 3 hours, and then he barely plays over 2. It seems like everytime he would start to get the momentum going, esp. in his Wabo set, he would follow it with filler, Like "Let Me Take You There" and "Rainy Day Woman 12 & 35". "The Girl Gets Around" was actually pretty good and "Rock Candy" and "Heavy Metal" are always welcome. I will say Sam's guitar playing was impressive and just 1 time would love to see him play guitar on a VH tune, like "Top of the World". I knows he plays the acoustic on "FWYS". Vic was solid as usual and I don't understand why some people rag on him. "The Other Half" were good, its always a treat to see Mikey out there jammin' and he seemed pretty lit up. I would say "Good Enough" was the highlight of the set. Eric Johnson on "FWYS" was cool. What happended to "5150", "Judgement Day" and "Humans Being"? I would of loved to have heard "Judgement Day". Why doesn't Sam and the Wabo's ever play "Cabo Wabo"? It just seemed like an all around short set with his band and the "Other Half". I liked the show, it just seemed like it could of been better.

ZachenFoot
07.17.06, 06:05 PM
I'll agree, we got gyped on the Other Half set. But I enjoyed what we got.

DreamIsOver
07.17.06, 07:17 PM
I've got to agree with your review Heavy Metal.

It's hard to complain about the show when it cost less than $10 but it was really an average show. Sammy sounded great, the band was tight, the audience was into the show (Sammy said it there was 12,000 people and that sounded about right), but the problem for me really was the setlist.

I've been thinking about the subject of setlists and what songs artist feel they have to play and audience expectations. Bruce Springsteen played this same venue a couple weeks back on his "Seeger Seesions" tour. This was a number one album. He was only playing material from this record, little if any of his own material. Bruce is obivously an icon, still commercially viable, and has a rabid following. He drew less than 5,000, didn't fill up the pavillion in a venue that holds over 30,000. Part of this lies with the $100+ ticket price but many people just want to hear the hits.

So I understand Sammy playing One Way To Rock, Heavy Metal, 55. But I don't understand a two hour setlist with at least twenty minutes of filler (Waitress!, long intros, etc) also featuring three covers/mash ups. Rainy Day Women plods along just so the crowd can chant "Everybody Must Get Stoned". Sammy must have signed some deal with The Brothers to never perform Cabo Wabo because there is no other possible reason for Let Me Take You There to exist. Why would anyone want to see the Other Half with some roadie "rapping" Fight For Your Right To Party? Why does someone with such a deep catalog ignore it? Which leads me to The Other Half.

When the tour first started, I was excited. 5150, Judgement Day, Good Enough, he finally retired Eagles Fly, Sammy was finally living up to his promise to mix it up. The same promise he makes every tour (including the 2004 reunion tour). Then Summer Nights comes along. Was hearing Runnin' With The Devil cool? Hell yes! Good Enough and Summer Nights rocked, and it was great to hear the once in a lifetime moment of Eric Johnson going nuts on FWYS. But when they sell the show with The Other Half and only play seven VH tunes and no encores with twenty minutes left on the clock is a real letdown. No one in the lawn area I was thought it was over, then the house lights can up and a general "WTF, That's It?" vibe went throught the crowd.

As I was on my way home I was thinking about the times when concerts literally changed my life, leaving me entranced for days and weeks afterward. It's probably not fair to compair a Wabo's show to, say, VH on the OU812 tour playing 3/4ths of that record and a good chunck of 5150. But most bands/artists don't have kind of catalog Sammy has at his disposal and its kinda sad to see an average set when it could easily be spectacular.

extreme red roth
07.18.06, 02:39 AM
I thought of possible explanations as to why the other 1/2 setlist got cut down to 8 tunes. Could it be because there was an opener (Eric Johnson)?
Does he have opening acts at other venues?

The other reason is - the heat. It was real frickin hot. I wanted Sam to come out and do a two song encore...maybe Humans Being and another solo tune like Back Into You....now that would have really been changing it up...but as I was tellin' my wife...he's pushing 60 and maybe the man just got tired. It was 96 degrees even after the sun went down.

Whatever...I don't like making excuses...I was somewhat disappointed as well...I'm probably done with solo Sam for awhile...though based on hearing Mexico, I'm gonna buy his new album.

The J Man
07.18.06, 10:03 AM
though based on hearing Mexico, I'm gonna buy his new album.

Listen the album preview on Rhino Records' website and save your money!

LoveWalkinIn
07.18.06, 12:01 PM
I think Sammy always puts on a pretty solid show. He works the crowd, his band always sounds good, and there's always a feel good atmosphere at a Sammy show. That said, his show on Saturday night was nothing great, it was plain old stock. Don't get me wrong, Good Enough was sweet, and worth the $10 alone. And for as thrilled as I was/am that I got to hear Summer Nights, Vic absolutely butchered that tune. He played the intro so badly that if he hadn't said it was Summer Nights, I might not have known what tune it was until the end of the intro, AND they completely skipped the solo. They wasted our time with tired songs like 55 (which I know he has to play), FWYS (he always plays that), and BOBW (I can't think of a =VH= tune I could care less about hearing anymore, maybe with the exception of Panama). I went in thinking I was getting 5150, Judgement Day, Amsterdam...and Sam didn't deliver. He barely made it over 2 hrs, and he AND the loop were advertising a 2 hr 45 min set. And he WASTED our time w/a damn Beastie Boys song and had some white rapper come out that I don't think anyone has ever heard of.

Other than that, I had a good time. Couldn't beat the $10 ticket price either. I was just chilling and enjoying myself and basically, I just got my money's worth, but nothing more. Like someone else said, I think I'm done w/Sammy solo for a little while.

BradL.
07.18.06, 03:10 PM
Well I managed to get stuck with my Loopfest tickets and decided to go afterall. I must say I wasnt impressed. Keeping everyone out of their seats till 40 minutes before Eric Johnsons set was kinda bullshit since it was f@cking blazing hot.I missed Off Broadway but Did catch the start of Beatallica, lame. Though Im more of a metal head and Eric Johnsons is far from that I still enjoyed his set. Kinda reminded me of an early Stevie Ray and the guy can play I gotta admit.Heres a camera phone pic of his set.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y149/BradL87/DSC00058.jpg

Sammys stage set was pretty awsome looking. He tryed to give the place a real party/beach kinda vibe which he kinda did. Though I thought the 80+ people he had stand on stage behind him was a little wierd.The music just didnt deliver. It was ok but it didnt have the balls it needed. The Red Rocker is getting old Im afraid. If he woulda threw a cover or 2 in there,say Diary of a Madman, the place woulda went nuts. I gotta give Jimi Hendricks Jr. credit though that boy can play.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y149/BradL87/DSC00068.jpg

Michael Anthony started the Other Halfs set with his bass solo which didnt impress me or anyone else in the least. More pounding and effects than imagination and playing ability. He looked pretty burnt out.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y149/BradL87/DSC00076.jpg

The whole thing was a less than average thing thrown together at the last minute,why Im not quite sure. Nice try Loop. Not! Heres one more shot , just to show the stage set.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y149/BradL87/DSC00078.jpg

Rebel Yell5
07.18.06, 04:55 PM
I felt the same was as Brad L. I know setlists are a big thing on this site. I don't mind so much about setlist content, but pacing and where the songs fall are a big deal to a show. It seems to haunt Vh and their singer's solo jaunts in recent years. I just thought there was more flash than substance at LoopFest.

The setlist also was not in a good order to keep momentum. I was completely shocked by the lack of tunes. I always hear how Sammy shakes it up. I have seen him solo twice on Sam/Dave tour and twice just by himself. Even when I saw him with Van Halen his song selections haven't changed much. My friend commented that Sammy's monlogue and intro to FWYS hasn't changed since the late 90's. I also noticed Sammy is doing more crowd sing alongs on the hardcore faves like I55. He pulled a Vince Neil ala the crue reunion. He has been doing that for quite a few years now. He let's Mona, Vic and the crowd do the singing. I noticed he did that alot when he was signing autographs or trying to smash a pinata with his guitar.

I felt bad for guys like my friend the most-Big Sammy Hagar fans. I am a Dave guy. He is a Sammy guy. We had lawn seats and he felt a gyp. Every other monologue contained references to drinking it up, Mexico, and or Cabo Wabo. I was prepared albeit not in favor of such ramblings. My buddy was not. He said the show was a disappointment and that the whole thing; while as a promotion of fun, was like Ralphie in a Christmas Story. He said he felt like Ralphie when he received the Ovaltine decoder and it was a message about a commercial. My friend said the show like ralphie's message was nothing more than a commercial. At times I could not disagree.

I hope everyone had a good time though. It wasn't bad for a Saturday nite out. $9.79 for lawn and although the set was not bad it was pretty rocking. And at least Sammy is still touring.

Michaels
07.18.06, 11:27 PM
The only thing to bitch about is why on earth do the drinks have to be SOOOOO expensive. I drink like a fish, but i have a limit what i will pay. I swear, if i had millions of dollars i still would not pay 10 dollars for a miller lite FUCK THAT

RayBan
07.19.06, 07:41 AM
Not to change the subject but where is my main man Greenpaw at????

Greenpaw
07.19.06, 08:25 AM
Not to change the subject but where is my main man Greenpaw at????

:cool: How's it goin bro!

Unfortunately, I didn't go to the show this time. I had to help a friend move that day from his 3rd floor condo :irked: into his new house and by the time that was all said and done, I was toast. Of course it had to be 500 degrees that day as well.
And just the night before on Ticketmaster I pulled up 10th row dead center for the show, but I couldn't buy them knowing I might be tied up in that move. :brickwall Oh well......

These reviews are bizarre, they're pretty much negative about the show but then at the end it's like "But I had a good time" LOL

BREW CREW
07.19.06, 09:16 PM

Unfortunately, I didn't go to the show this time. I had to help a friend move that day from his 3rd floor condo :irked: into his new house and by the time that was all said and done, I was toast. Of course it had to be 500 degrees that day as well.
And just the night before on Ticketmaster I pulled up 10th row dead center for the show, but I couldn't buy them knowing I might be tied up in that move. :brickwall Oh well......

These reviews are bizarre, they're pretty much negative about the show but then at the end it's like "But I had a good time" LOLI get the same feeling of the reviews. Greenpaw, maybe we will just have to wait to party together when it is Van Halen on tour.;)

Greenpaw
07.20.06, 07:47 AM
I get the same feeling of the reviews. Greenpaw, maybe we will just have to wait to party together when it is Van Halen on tour.;)

First round is on me for sure if that happens :cool:

Rebel Yell5
07.21.06, 04:59 PM

These reviews are bizarre, they're pretty much negative about the show but then at the end it's like "But I had a good time" LOL

In my case I called it like I saw it, but chose to end on a positive note and made the most of the time and money spent! You woulda had a good time! I was gonna PM you so I could see if you were gonna go!

DreamIsOver
07.21.06, 08:45 PM
The Loop has a bunch of pictures posted from the whole day---

http://www.wlup.com/photo_gallery/loopfest2006.aspx

BradL.
07.23.06, 03:28 PM
Here ya go Shaydie
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y149/BradL87/Pool.jpg