PDA

View Full Version : The Other Half - Glen Helen, Devore - Reviews, Setlist

Van Squalen
05.09.06, 01:57 PM
http://usera.imagecave.com/Bard/login_title.gif

Thought I'd start this one, first show after the six Tahoe dates.

I'm going, and I'm stoked. I'd bet solid duckets The Other Half will be as close to Van Halen as we're ever going to see again. That said, I'll be the first to chow down crow if I'm proven wrong.

I've only been out to Devore twice before, and both times were VH-related.

The first was for the Us Fest. Grr. :irked:

The second was for the VH III tour, on July 4th, complete with a fireworks show post-concert and red, white, and blue partying in full swing. Good show, but still weird with Freddie Mercury Lite up there, and somewhat anti-climactic with a HMSI encore.

So I'm hoping third time's the charm. Got the best seats in the house, literally. Anybody else going? I've got extra tix, front row center seats above the pit too, if anybody's interested, PM me.

Otherwise, I'll post my review here...others are welcome to do the same.

JMJ
05.09.06, 05:39 PM
what time does the shjow actually start?

i keep seeing 4:00

what time does the band actually start playing?

Van Squalen
05.09.06, 05:56 PM
I'm wondering the same thing. I wonder if it varies from venue to venue, but I assume gates open at 3 pm to enjoy the Cabo festivities, band probably comes on at 7 or 8 pm.

janthraxx
05.22.06, 02:49 PM
I'm there with the gang in tow, just under 2 weeks to go!

Little Dreamer
05.28.06, 08:52 PM
I heard the show's sold out, is it for real?
I'm still looking for a ticket.

JMJ
05.28.06, 11:07 PM
I heard the show's sold out, is it for real?
I'm still looking for a ticket.

no

janthraxx
05.29.06, 05:07 PM
5 days! :bounce:

BON SCOTT
05.30.06, 07:25 AM
Why fucking bother ?

Van Squalen
05.30.06, 11:03 AM
Gone already? :sssh:

SuckaInA3Piece
05.30.06, 11:42 AM
"W.D.F.A." :D

Van Squalen
05.30.06, 12:11 PM
"W.D.F.A." :D

:funny: :D

JMJ
05.30.06, 05:13 PM
show really start at 4? :(

JMJ
05.30.06, 05:20 PM
show starts at 4:00. justv got off the phone with a tm rep. that blows cuz i have to work. if it started at 7 i could have made it

the fuck is this 4:00 bullshit?!

:yell:

Van Squalen
05.30.06, 05:53 PM
show starts at 4:00. justv got off the phone with a tm rep. that blows cuz i have to work. if it started at 7 i could have made it

the fuck is this 4:00 bullshit?!

Naw, man, the show won't start until 7 or 8. Gates open at 3 for the Cabo village festivities. But the concert itself won't begin until the evening.

JMJ
05.30.06, 11:12 PM
Naw, man, the show won't start until 7 or 8. Gates open at 3 for the Cabo village festivities. But the concert itself won't begin until the evening.

well who the fuck can i call to find out for sure?

i have to drive from palm springs..i have to figure in travel time and get off work an hr early which is doable

Van Squalen
05.30.06, 11:22 PM
Gates to the Pavilion itself don't open 'til 6:30, bud. If you get there by 7, you won't miss a thing.

JMJ
05.30.06, 11:30 PM
the tm rep today told me doors open at 3

Van Squalen
05.30.06, 11:37 PM
Good ol Ticketbastard.

Trust me, bro. If you need further confirmation than your old anonymous pal Squalen, call the Hyundai Pavilion directly. They also talk about it over at Red Rocker.com.

The Cabo village crap in the parking lot and surrounding greens is the stuff that opens at 3 pm. The arena itself isn't gonna be accessible to anyone until 630 except for the ILoveAccess people and the Hyundai VIPs. Sam will come on about 730-8.

JMJ
05.30.06, 11:38 PM
u just mae me all tingly n shit :D

Van Squalen
05.30.06, 11:53 PM
:p

JMJ
05.31.06, 12:41 AM
squalen....

we're on the fuckin beach!

Van Squalen
05.31.06, 10:58 AM
Heck yeah...it's gonna be a blast.

:thumb:

JMJ
06.01.06, 07:14 PM
orchestra 2 row s

nice n tucked in the middle baby!

btw...show starts at 8:00 :)

Van Squalen
06.01.06, 07:20 PM
Front row center pit, bud. See if you can guess which one is me. LOL

JMJ
06.01.06, 08:11 PM
Front row center pit, bud. See if you can guess which one is me. LOL

the one sam passes the doobie to :D

Van Squalen
06.01.06, 08:20 PM
the one sam passes the doobie to :D

I'm tryin' to think of which song I'll request if he drags me up onstage during the Halen set to sing one. It'd be improper to ask for a Roth tune. Do I know any of the Hagar era tunes by heart word for word?

:sssh:

I'm thinkin' Apolitical Blues or Summer Nights. :devil:

JMJ
06.01.06, 08:24 PM
if he pulls u up...

yell as loud as u can

LOOK AT ALL THE PEOPLE HERE TONIIIIIGHT

:D

Van Squalen
06.01.06, 08:35 PM
:funny:

Maybe he might not appreciate that.

But I don't know all the words to 'Red.' :p

How 'bout if I turn to Vic and try to stump 'em.

Something they should know, but haven't rehearsed.

Aftershock?

Sucker? (fucked if I can sing that - fucked if Sam can still sing that)

Black and Blue.

Slip and slide

push it in

bitch sure got the rhythm

holdin back i got control

hooked into her system

Heck, you can just ad lib that one. Fuckitty fuck fuck...diddle daddle. :p

JMJ
06.01.06, 08:48 PM
start singin pleasure dome...the intro part when sam talks and the guys are playin

"now none of this was planned......it all just kinda happened......"

;)

Van Squalen
06.01.06, 09:09 PM
I'll just be happy if they rip into So This is Love, with Mikey at the mike.

It's a small thing to ask. :)

janthraxx
06.01.06, 09:30 PM
I just scored a second row pit ticket thanks to MasHagar's lovely mom!! :)

:bounce: :bounce:

Anybody wanna buy a 30th row ticket?

RAGEN_40
06.01.06, 11:49 PM
Whats going on VS. I'll keep on eye out for you Sat. night. Damn I wish i had jumped into this auction. But I had already bought these seats. My financial partner would have balked at another couple of C notes if you know what i mean.
You mean to tell me you didn't catch the Sam and Dave fiasco there in GH park a couple of years back? God Damn Dave sounded...Pretty sad. Platinum wig and this time he knew all the words but the tune was not quite the same. I think that was the night that reality hit me. Dave aint coming back.

Hope to see you and have a toast...ON THE FUCKIN BEACH!!!

JMJ
06.01.06, 11:53 PM
it is now...

5150 TIME :D

JMJ
06.02.06, 12:16 AM
did u guys see the mikey rwtd vid on google?

the link is in a thread in this forum...from the dude with the pics

like he said..not good quality...but u get the gyst of it

man, crowd still loves that cvh :sssh:

Van Squalen
06.02.06, 12:19 AM
Whats going on VS. I'll keep on eye out for you Sat. night. Damn I wish i had jumped into this auction. But I had already bought these seats. My financial partner would have balked at another couple of C notes if you know what i mean.
You mean to tell me you didn't catch the Sam and Dave fiasco there in GH park a couple of years back? God Damn Dave sounded...Pretty sad. Platinum wig and this time he knew all the words but the tune was not quite the same. I think that was the night that reality hit me. Dave aint coming back.

Hope to see you and have a toast...ON THE FUCKIN BEACH!!!

Dude, we gotta hook up and say hi at least for old times' sake. Fuckin' A. It's gonna be a good time. I'm front and center, almost as good as our golden ring at Staples. I'm really hoping they bust out some new oldies; this is sort of the kick off date for the full tour, the Tahoe stuff was for cinco de tahoe and his cantina. So whoo fuckin hoo!

Naw, I caught S & D at the Universal Amp, not Glen Helen. Heck, I'm not a huge fan of the Devore venue by any means. Would much rather see them just about anywhere else in LA. And yeah, Dave was off his game at Universal that night too.

frank
06.02.06, 12:15 PM
I called The Hyundai Pavilion this morning. They confirmed 8pm for actual start of show.

JMJ
06.02.06, 03:40 PM
I called The Hyundai Pavilion this morning. They confirmed 8pm for actual start of show.

thanks franky...where were u last week?

janthraxx
06.02.06, 03:58 PM
~24 hours until liftoff...I'm gonna be in the stratosphere, for multiple reasons :D

frank
06.02.06, 04:27 PM
thanks franky...where were u last week?

I guess I was being lazy :sleep:and waiting for someone else to call

Van Squalen
06.02.06, 06:05 PM
~24 hours until liftoff...I'm gonna be in the stratosphere, for multiple reasons :D

http://usera.imagecave.com/Bard/freakouteyes.gif

:devil:

I hear Mikey's gonna pull out a humdinger of a lost track, FYI. :sssh:

janthraxx
06.02.06, 06:38 PM

It's gonna be upwards of 100 degrees tomorrow, ya'll ready to sweat like hell?

RAGEN_40
06.02.06, 07:11 PM
Dude, we gotta hook up and say hi at least for old times' sake. Fuckin' A. It's gonna be a good time. I'm front and center, almost as good as our golden ring at Staples. I'm really hoping they bust out some new oldies; this is sort of the kick off date for the full tour, the Tahoe stuff was for cinco de tahoe and his cantina. So whoo fuckin hoo!

Naw, I caught S & D at the Universal Amp, not Glen Helen. Heck, I'm not a huge fan of the Devore venue by any means. Would much rather see them just about anywhere else in LA. And yeah, Dave was off his game at Universal that night too.

Dude...
I will keep an eye out for you. Still with the same girl? That will make it easy to pull you out of the crowd!!!
Remember to get there early...That parking sucks. First one in Last one out. I am being sarcastic about being early. Honest about first in last out. Oh and 20 bucks to park in that s-hole.
Oh but the memories I have of that S-hole. I still stand down on the bottom of the hill and remember where the US fest. stage was at and the people god damn nothing but people as high as that hill goes. We must have been NUTS! I honestly believe that was the beginning of the end for CVH.
See you tomorrow, On the fuckin beach, well almost Section 2 row V Ill keep an eye out for ya on your way down.

Van Squalen
06.02.06, 07:27 PM
Dude...
I will keep an eye out for you. Still with the same girl? That will make it easy to pull you out of the crowd!!!
Remember to get there early...That parking sucks. First one in Last one out. I am being sarcastic about being early. Honest about first in last out. Oh and 20 bucks to park in that s-hole.
Oh but the memories I have of that S-hole. I still stand down on the bottom of the hill and remember where the US fest. stage was at and the people god damn nothing but people as high as that hill goes. We must have been NUTS! I honestly believe that was the beginning of the end for CVH.
See you tomorrow, On the fuckin beach, well almost Section 2 row V Ill keep an eye out for ya on your way down.

Don't I remember, hell yeah. Gawd. What a clusterfucking shithole. I can't stand Devore, but you gotta go where the music is, right?

Heh. I got the VIP parking pass. How much difference it's gonna make, remains to be seen. I'm thinkin' not much.

I'll keep an eye out for you too, man. I'm front row center. I don't have the gal with me this time, just my bud Steve, tall dude who'll no doubt be gawking the bikini babes. You bringin your son again? Either way, look for me in the Cabo village, bud, and I'll do the same.

RAGEN_40
06.03.06, 09:03 AM
Don't I remember, hell yeah. Gawd. What a clusterfucking shithole. I can't stand Devore, but you gotta go where the music is, right?

Heh. I got the VIP parking pass. How much difference it's gonna make, remains to be seen. I'm thinkin' not much.

I'll keep an eye out for you too, man. I'm front row center. I don't have the gal with me this time, just my bud Steve, tall dude who'll no doubt be gawking the bikini babes. You bringin your son again? Either way, look for me in the Cabo village, bud, and I'll do the same.

I'll look for you. Will have my son with me he's the 14 yr old Sammy look a like. Thinking of entering him in the contest. LOL. See you on the beach.

Liamh3
06.03.06, 09:22 AM
Hey guys! Where are you going to be? Village etc?
I bought my tickets about 10 days ago thru Ticketmaster. (Orch2 Row T) did I luck out? I think they are better than my May '03 seats that I woke up staring @ Dawn's crack, the day they went on sale.
I'll have my vintage '88 M.O.R. shirt and a Cabo Wabo baseball hat on. I'm usually pretty drunk. Can't miss me.

Greenpaw
06.03.06, 11:42 AM
The Cabo Village (click to enlarge)

http://www.redrocker.com/UserFiles/Image/Cabo-Village-2sm.jpg (http://www.redrocker.com/UserFiles/Image/Cabo-Village-2.jpg)
http://www.redrocker.com/UserFiles/Image/Cabo-Village-1sm.jpg (http://www.redrocker.com/UserFiles/Image/Cabo-Village-1.jpg)

janthraxx
06.03.06, 02:10 PM
Well, the So Cal Sammy pre-pre-pre partying has begun! Woo! :bounce:

janthraxx
06.03.06, 02:12 PM
Well, the So Cal Sammy pre-pre-pre partying has begun! Woo! :bounce:

http://usera.imagecave.com/Bard/freakouteyes.gif

janthraxx
06.04.06, 02:14 AM
The show was SO awesome. Just got back. Being second row was just phenomenal!

RAGEN_40
06.04.06, 02:39 AM
The 22nd row center wasn't bad either. A kick ass show.
I would have to say Victor kicked Eds ass tonight, although Ed didn't have a chance to defend himself. But compared to the 5 shows I saw in 04. Victor kicked Eds ass. The band itself was also dead on. Sam really does know how to throw a party.

bones9965
06.04.06, 03:28 AM
The 22nd row center wasn't bad either. A kick ass show.
I would have to say Victor kicked Eds ass tonight, although Ed didn't have a chance to defend himself. But compared to the 5 shows I saw in 04. Victor kicked Eds ass. The band itself was also dead on. Sam really does know how to throw a party.

Sammy does put on one hell of a show. Any VH fan will dig The Other Half.
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i10/bones9965/timonstagewiththeWabos.jpg

mike zack
06.04.06, 09:07 AM
Set List?

RAGEN_40
06.04.06, 11:23 AM
Ok here goes for the setlist. Or i will attempt to deceifer my scribble the best I can....
Mas Tequila
3 lock box
One way to rock
Rainy day women
Shaka Dooby
Girl gets around
Rock candy
I'll find love again
I love this bar
Sam I am
White lies
Serious JuJu
I cant drive 65
Heavy metal

Mikes bass solo(awesome)
Running with the Devil-with "Dave"
Standing on thop of the world
Humans being
Why cant this be love
Good enough
Judgement day
Right now-Victor really ripped on this one! No keys just Victor.
Finish what you started
Best of both worlds
Fight for your right to party!

Encore
Cabo Wabo
I'll take you there
Marching to Mars

This show was one of the best I have ever seen. It was a party.

venom thrust
06.04.06, 11:59 AM
This was the best show i have seen in years! Such a better vibe than the Van Halen shows in 04. Loved the VH cover band before the show they were called Eruption,got to talk to the guys in the band pretty cool.GREAT NIGHT!!

janthraxx
06.04.06, 12:18 PM
They didn't play 5150 did they??

Van Squalen
06.04.06, 12:29 PM
Frickin' Devore.

As God is my witness, I will NEVER attend another function at Glen Helen as long as I live. I will drive to Vegas or Tahoe or San Diego before I catch another show in the armpit of San Bernardino. The third time was NOT the charm.

The show itself was outstanding. The band was tight and delivered in spades.

Wabo set:

Mas Tequila
3 Lock Box
One Way to Rock
Rainy Day Woman #12
Shaka Doobie
Girl Gets Around
Rock Candy
I'll Find Love Again
I Love This Bar
Sam I Am
Little White lies
Serious Juju
I Can't Drive 65
Heavy Metal

The Other Half Set:

Mikes bass solo
Running with the Devil
Top of the World
Humans Being
WCTBL
Good Enough
Judgment Day
Right Now
FWYS
Best of Both Worlds
Beastie Boys cover

Encore

Cabo Wabo (acapella, no instruments)
I'll Take You There
Marching to Mars

Sorry, Ragen, they did NOT play 5150, alas. I was looking forward to that. I believed they subbed in FWYS for it. Sorry I missed ya, too, and Jann, I was right in front of ya for the second half of the set. Didn't have a chance to turn around and talk Links, I was gonna intercept ya after the encore, but I turned around and you were gone, gone, gone. Man, your hair's gettin' long. You hipster doofus you.

But I digress. I have several beefs, of which I'll share because that's what we do here.

The fucking bureaucracy and security at Hyundai Pavilion was a joke. No pat downs, no enforcement of seating, and I don't think I've seen so many people SO fucking wasted in a confined space since Monsters of Rock '88. There was so much weed in the air up front, we were completely high for the duration. When I bought my front row pit tickets, I was assured they were dead center. Turns out there's 72 fucking seats in the first three pit rows, and we're all the way on the right side behind speakers and equipment with an obstructed view. Who the fuck puts 72 per row in a fucking pit? Devore, that's who. Fucking dillholes. UsFest was more organized, and that's saying something, believe me.

Luckily, we had, through no purposeful fault of our own (long story) a backup pair of tickets front row center orchestra. So we head to them, 4 rows from the stage, and we're dead center. Cool enough, but then the wastoids keep rolling in, unimpeded by security - I must have had 8 different dudes and babes standing next to me on my left, all so wasted they're barely standing - two of them, literally, dropped and passed out in the seat next to mine, that's when the yellow jackets finally stepped in.

So on that light - this Cabo village pre-party tequila promo thing. I hate to say it, but it's finally happened....WAAAAAAY overload on the Cabo Wabo motif. The On the Beach thing is just overkill now, and it definitely affected the audience ambience overall---sure, it was a party, everybody's having a good time, but I'm serious when I say a lot of people were gonzo wasted from the tequila activities all afternoon. Must've been a lot of drunk drivers headed back to LA last night. Hot as hell all night, as usual in Devore, and we weren't even drinking.

The set, the VIP, the village, a few too many song-odes to the lifestyle - the Cabo lifestyle has hit maximum velocity and beyond. Too much. Sam, I love ya, you're still the man when it comes to live performance, but you gotta gear back the Wabomania.

So there's a break between sets, and we say fuck this, we're gonna elbow our way up to front row center pit just like every other goon that's already succeeded. And after a few grumbles and elbows and harsh words, that's exactly where we end up, right in front of Mikey's mike stand, for The Other Half set. Caught a pick from Mikey during WCTBL. Sweetness.

Lowlights:

That 'David fake Roth' thing during Runnin with the Devil? While humorous, and the celebrity impersonator dude sure looked and acted the part, I couldn't really tell if it was an homage or a dig at the Diamond. Either way, kinda distracted from Mikey's one and only CVH tune.

Humans Being sounded WAY off, unfortunately. Vic either needs a bit more practice on this one or his tuning needed adjustment. Not a good version.

I've been to a lot of concerts. A lot. And last night, surely because of the Cabo festivities since 3 pm, there were more wasted people up front than I've seen in a long, long time. And I'm not talkin' drunk, buzzed, happy whoo hoo bombed. I'm talkin' gonzo useless ready to puke pass out worthless weaving stinking kind of wasted. I dunno if this pre-show tequila fest is a great idea.

Highlights:

Judgment Day easily the peak highlight of the night. Vic slammed it. Say what you want about Vic, sure, he ain't Eddie, but he's no slouch. Judgment Day alone worth the price of admission. Awesome.

Mas Tequila, Three Lock Box, Serious Juju, Heavy Metal, and yes, Fight for Your Right to Party - the Wabo's best songs last night.

Interesting to hear Right Now with guitar supplanting keys...while one of my least favorite Van Hagar tunes, it sure sounds a shitload better on guitar only.

Nice to hear Good Enough again...haven't seen that since 5150 tour. And the Marching to Mars closer, while surprising, was cool...had the cantina kids march around the stage and back up the Access risers with Kari and his little girls and Mike, cute way to end the par-tay.

So all in all, great show, craphole venue structure, Cabo overload. Never again will I grace that damnable hillside. UsFest, III, and The Other Half all were witnessed there, each historically pertinent concert tainted to some degree by some San Bernardino curse, I guess.

Thought some of you might like to see the Other Half swag - Mike's pick I caught, plus a tour tee.

http://usera.imagecave.com/Bard/pick1.JPGhttp://usera.imagecave.com/Bard/tee1.JPG
http://usera.imagecave.com/Bard/pick2.JPGhttp://usera.imagecave.com/Bard/tee2.JPG

Whats That Sound
06.04.06, 12:52 PM
Guys...what time does the show actually start. It's gonna be 114 degrees today here in Phoenix. As much as I want too, I don't think getting there at 3:00 in the heat of the day is in this cat's best interest.

Van Squalen
06.04.06, 12:53 PM
730-8 pm actual concert start time.

Whats That Sound
06.04.06, 01:31 PM
Thanks man! :)

valdez44
06.04.06, 01:35 PM
VS.....cool review. And make sure you stick with your vow to never visit Devore again. What you described is exactly why I will be waiting to attend the Vegas shows, or perhaps later he'll come around to Universal (Gibson) Amp.

I had a similar miserable experience in 03? or 02 at Devore at a Hagar show. It rained, it was muddy, cold, and the security was awful, and since then I vowed to never go there again.

Nonetheless....it sounds like the show itself was awesome. :thumb:

Van Squalen
06.04.06, 02:03 PM
One other thing...Mike was ON FIRE last night. For those of you who don't think he can match chops with the likes of Lee or Sheehan, I think you're underestimating Anthony's talents. It was nice, after all these years, to see Mikey really putting some shakalaka jazz on the deep boom stick. I mean RIPPING. I've seen Mike on tour since Fair Warning, and I've never seen his electric boogaloo breakdowns and bridges like last night. Nice to see the real talent the guy has. It's stupid that Ed rarely let him groove virtuoso during the tunes, only during his bass solo. Made a lot of difference in the songs, particularly Humans Being, FYWS, Good Enough, and BOBW. Impressive.

RAGEN_40
06.04.06, 02:15 PM
Wow...VS was it really that bad? I quess from the pit it was. I agree that DeVore is a shit hole but from row V we had a hell of a good time.
As for no 5150. Its 2 to 1 a quess I had a few too many of those adult beverages you mention. I did not partake in the cabo village. I believe that I put 5150 when they were doing the 5150 walk. But then I also had FWYS.So I fucked up.
I thought that the security was wack also but for opposite reasons. My daughter and I went for beer. She left her stub in her purse. I had to run to my seat get her stub and run back to the beerstand for they would not let her back in. I told them she is with me she left her ticket at the seat...Sorry go get it. Oh and BTW they were running out of beer before the intermission , @$10 for a large.
I dont know what gate you came in but I got patted down. I am NOT defending GHP by anymeans. You are absolutley right there were ALLOT of fucked up people there. Most were tailgating in the hot sun, self included.
As for the show itself I have no complaints. It was tight. Now which show am I going to next. Make the weekend trek to Vegas or hit the local shows in SD. Viejas or Pechanga...decisions decisons.

RAGEN_40
06.04.06, 02:19 PM
One other thing...Mike was ON FIRE last night. For those of you who don't think he can match chops with the likes of Lee or Sheehan, I think you're underestimating Anthony's talents. It was nice, after all these years, to see Mikey really putting some shakalaka jazz on the deep boom stick. I mean RIPPING. I've seen Mike on tour since Fair Warning, and I've never seen his electric boogaloo breakdowns and bridges like last night. Nice to see the real talent the guy has. It's stupid that Ed rarely let him groove virtuoso during the tunes, only during his bass solo. Made a lot of difference in the songs, particularly Humans Being, FYWS, Good Enough, and BOBW. Impressive.

No shit dude he fucking tore it up!!
I leaned over to the Mrs. and told here sarcasticlly...He just aint good enough to play in VH anymore. He was in awesome mode last night.

Van Squalen
06.04.06, 02:26 PM
Yeah, it was bad up front. LOL, and a good majority of 'em were OLD geezers all blotto wasted....seriously, like lots of baby boomer late forties or 50+ Montrose days ex-70s rockers, puking and slipping in their own vomit, fat chicks baring their atrociously sagging bosoms to Sam. Sometimes you just gotta let go of your youth and go for the music, don't ya? ;)

We're debating the Vegas gig too. It's too bad it's not the same week as Dave playing out there at the House of Blues at Mandalay....Dave's playin' on the 20th, Sam on the 29th.

It'd have been pretty cool to see Dave and Sam the same week in Sin City. But ten days in America's playground could drive a man mad. Or to the poorhouse. Or both.

It's funny Dave's playing Morongo in Cabazon. I think he might frequent the place, in some fashion or another. I had an interesting encounter there once in that very same casino with the Diamond. :)

JMJ
06.04.06, 02:28 PM
if any of you guys thought that show was better than an 04 show u saw, u must have seen a shit ass 04 show

it was good. sam sounded great

mikey is just tits

thought sam sounded better than the last vh tour personally

sam said we're the other half, don't know what we're the other half of but we're here

the imitator dlr was gay. no need for that

humans being sounded like absolute shit

judgement day was cool

tell ya though, even though ed was off his rocker in 04..i rather see them on a bad night than what i saw last night

and lauser's snare drum sounds like shit to me

Van Squalen
06.04.06, 02:30 PM
Speakin' o' which, what was the deal with the second drummer next to Lauser?

RAGEN_40
06.04.06, 02:35 PM
[QUOTE=Van Squalen] and a good majority of 'em were OLD geezers all blotto wasted....seriously, like lots of baby boomer late forties or 50+ Montrose days ex-70s rockers,

Come one now VS I'll have you know I resemle that remark! LOL
Well almost I am 45. At least I was blowing chum!!

RAGEN_40
06.04.06, 02:36 PM
Speakin' o' which, what was the deal with the second drummer next to Lauser?

I have said Al plays for 2.

Van Squalen
06.04.06, 02:39 PM
Come one now VS I'll have you know I resemle that remark! LOL
Well almost I am 45. At least I was blowing chum!!

Hey, as long as you weren't blowing chunks on the guy in front of you or playing grabass with anybody near your seat, then you were golden.

Unfortunately, I can't say the same for a number of folks I encountered in the pit last night.

;)

Liamh3
06.04.06, 02:40 PM
I don't know guys. I'm almost positive I heard 5150 last night. I remember commenting on Vic fucking up the intro. I don't know what everybody's beef is w/ Devore. I was in Orch 2 center about 12 rows from the pit. No security issues. The band sounded great. Awesome view. Outside we had no trouble getting in or out of the venue. No traffic. Free parking. No hassels for drinking beer in the parking lot. The village was great. Perfect alternative to tailgating in the lot. I've had more parking/traffic trouble going to see a show @ The Canyon Club in Agoura!
I could have done without Brian aka DLR from Eruption on RWTD. But hey, I bet that was the highlight of that guys year! It was fun and it made me laugh. Power to him. Eruption sounded pretty good out in the village though. And I give them props for playing in that heat. They had a cool truck too! It looked like an old Police/SWAT truck painted w/ Eddie stripes and a big VH II logo on the side. In all, I'd be in Devore today if Sam was playing another show. The ride out and back to L.A. could not have been easier.

Van Squalen
06.04.06, 02:41 PM
I have said Al plays for 2.

I think the most embarassing award goes to those two dorks up on the ILoveAccess cantina risers, who Sam brought down to stage...the dude dressed up as a paper mache' blue Cabo Wabo bottle and his wife dressed as a paper mache' orange bottle of Mikey hot sauce.

That's some hardcore Redhead devotion. :rolleyes:

Van Squalen
06.04.06, 02:43 PM
I don't know guys. I'm almost positive I heard 5150 last night. .

Trust me, man, they didn't play it. I was waiting for it with baited breath, more so my buddy, whose favorite Van Hagar song is 5150. They also didn't play Amsterdam or Up for Breakfast, which would have been preferable, IMO, to anthem standards like WCTBL or Right Now.

Apocalypso
06.04.06, 03:01 PM
I passed on going last night after being offered by a friend. I'm not much of a fan of Hagar but that really didn't have much to do with not going. It was mostly due to my wife being laid up from footsergury and my young son down n' out with the stomach flu.

That said, I'm not really surprised by the negative comments, mostly in regards to Devore. This weekend has been unusually hot in Southern CA and having dealt with the US Fest in '83, VH in '98 and Hagar/Roth in '02 there, I pretty much swore I'd never see another show at that shithole again not just because it's a smoggy sweathole, but the locals are among the worst concert goers I've ever dealt with. And after hearing the expected complaints, I'm glad circumstances made me keep my personal promise.

On the other hand, nice to hear Mike tearing it up in his set and also good to hear Vic sounds better covering VH tunes. I was pretty disappointed how badly he ruined a few songs when I saw Hagar in '02.

How sold was the place. The Pavilion is on of the biggest outdoor sheds in the US and holds something like 50,000 people. I know the show wasn't sold out, but was it 50%? 75%? More?

T.B.

venom thrust
06.04.06, 03:24 PM
15,000 people attended according to security.

janthraxx
06.04.06, 04:20 PM
Jann, I was right in front of ya for the second half of the set. Didn't have a chance to turn around and talk Links, I was gonna intercept ya after the encore, but I turned around and you were gone, gone, gone.

Christ man, you should've at least said hi during the show! :brickwall

janthraxx
06.04.06, 04:28 PM
And I'm with you with the wastedness. Some fat bitch right in fucking front of me was passed out, rolling around, flailing her arms, hitting me, encroaching on my space--I shit you not, she was so goddamn zonked I wasn't sure if she'd drank tequila or shot up heroin :wtf: Not to mention the dipshit next to her who sat on top of his seat, forcing me to move over. And when I told him he was in my space, he literally could not comprehend my words.

In my case, lack of pat-downs were a plus :cool:

janthraxx
06.04.06, 05:38 PM
http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/9397/sammy0070rn.jpg

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/1319/sammy0113ku.jpg

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/6233/sammy0168ng.jpg

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/2486/sammy0200gt.jpg

janthraxx
06.04.06, 05:39 PM
http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/4977/sammy0259va.jpg

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/8158/sammy0264vy.jpg
That's Sammy's son, whose birthday it was.

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/9894/sammy0310ct.jpg

Van Squalen
06.04.06, 06:03 PM
And I'm with you with the wastedness. Some fat bitch right in fucking front of me was passed out, rolling around, flailing her arms, hitting me, encroaching on my space--I shit you not, she was so goddamn zonked I wasn't sure if she'd drank tequila or shot up heroin :wtf: Not to mention the dipshit next to her who sat on top of his seat, forcing me to move over. And when I told him he was in my space, he literally could not comprehend my words.

LOL, I think I saw her, though there were a number of fat wasted Redhead over-the-hill babes reeling in the pit.

I DID try to say hi twice. Once when you and your buddies, (one dude with an eagle VH '04 tour shirt) were cruising by, lit as all get out, up by the beer stands, but you were too preoccupied bustin' a gut ;) , then another time I turned back to you when Mike threw the pick at me...but you were rocking too hard to pay attention unless I reached across and wacked you. :)

Ah well. Hit the Scorpions show in Costa Mesa on the 30th, we could cross paths. :cool:

janthraxx
06.04.06, 06:07 PM
For future reference, whack me. :(

Van Squalen
06.04.06, 06:14 PM
There was a lot of wackin' goin' on anyhow...I did a little bit myself to get up front. You probably woulda just thought I was another drunk ass loser, seein' as how we were surrounded by them. ;)

JMJ
06.04.06, 07:21 PM
ya the second drummer was hittin cymbals during one way to rock. i saw that too. i was like fuck dude...sam is saying we're gonna play right now without the keys, live as a motherfucker, but you need a second drummer..LOL :p

right now was a nice twist btw..i really enjoyed that

sam says at the end i always wanted to do this and have the ticket prices this cheap. i mean c'mon man....sounds like a vh jab to me.

lauser and vic are good musicians, don't get me wrong. but i don't liike their sound on vh at all. and when vic is playing shit like totw, i know he has his own style. but sometimes he plays ed's stuff and it doesn't even sound close to the song...that blows chunks to me.

i give the other half show a 7, only because i was bummed out that mikey sam and his band didn't sound even a lil like vh. i shouldn't have expected it..but if yer gonna play it, sound like it ya know?

first half i give an 8.

overall a 7.5

i seen better shows from journey and tesla. i'm not bullshittin, just callin as i see em.

u cannot match the energy of vh

btw..haven't seen that many stoners since a few years back at an allman bros show..lol

Cabo Gary
06.04.06, 08:40 PM
I thought this show was far superior to what I saw @ Staples in 2004. Sure, Ed is more creative than Vic when it comes to coming up with new material but Vic's playing was far cleaner... even on VH stuff.

Also, as my wife put it, "Sam seemed much happier" than he did for the BOBW tour. It showed... and it made for a much better show.

JMJ
06.04.06, 08:46 PM
i agree sammy was happier this show than any of the 5 i saw in 04...no doubt

i saw the first show in LA...and it blew this one away imo

sammy's band's sound is nowhere near a vh sound.

was cool to see mike's cabs still had van halen and the vh logo on em ;)

Van Squalen
06.04.06, 09:06 PM

Was thinkin' the same thing. :thumb:

It's hard to compare this to Staples in '04. EVH is EVH, after all. That said, Sam's obviously happier doing his thing, and Mike seems to be better off as well. Guess you can't really blame them, after all the BS.

janthraxx
06.05.06, 01:55 AM
There was a lot of wackin' goin' on anyhow...I did a little bit myself to get up front. You probably woulda just thought I was another drunk ass loser, seein' as how we were surrounded by them. ;)

Nope! I was waiting for some kind of address.

Guitar Shark
06.05.06, 06:27 PM
Was Mikey the sole bass player, or was that dude Mona there too?

janthraxx
06.05.06, 07:52 PM
That heavyset dude Mona was playing bass for the first half ;)

Van Squalen
06.05.06, 08:13 PM
Seriously, though, what was the deal with the second drummer? Was Dave needing an extra pair of hands for some reason? :confused:

janthraxx
06.05.06, 08:51 PM
Percussionist. Lotta bands have 'em.

Van Squalen
06.05.06, 10:53 PM
Yeah, but I've never seen one onstage before. And I was seein' concerts before you were a sparkle in your Daddy's eye, padawan. ;)

I found it offsetting, taking away from Lauser's spotlight.

janthraxx
06.05.06, 11:13 PM
Elton John has one onstage, so much for all your concerts. :p

And I was never a gleam in my daddy's eye, don't make assumptions. Fucking vasectomy's aren't infallable, apparently. Luckily my dad dragged my mom out of the abortion clinic by her hair before she could go through with it!

Van Squalen
06.05.06, 11:39 PM
Elton John has one onstage, so much for all your concerts. :p

And I was never a gleam in my daddy's eye, don't make assumptions. Fucking vasectomy's aren't infallable, apparently. Luckily my dad dragged my mom out of the abortion clinic by her hair before she could go through with it!

Well, I've never seen Elton John, granted. But, um, like everybody else, ya know, like tends to leave unheralded instrumentalists backstage. Like that Night Ranger dude playin' keys for Van Halen. And such. And so forth. And so on. ;)

I bet your Dad still had a gleam in his eye despite the unanticipated repercussions. Damn that was one determined sperm. And thusly did the world receive the unexpected yet all too needed gift of Janthraxxius. :D

janthraxx
06.05.06, 11:41 PM
Fuck the world.

That one determined sperm was ME.

I'm goin back from whence I came. Momma, open up them legs!! :bounce:

Van Squalen
06.06.06, 12:02 AM
That lil' tadpole just didn't know what he was gettin' into. :cool:

It's cool, you might be the second coming of Christ for all you know. Or the Anti-Christ. Or the President of the United States someday. Or just another drone among the Orwellian masses.

Damn this crap shoot. Damn it all to hell!

janthraxx
06.06.06, 12:08 AM
Shit Squalen you know me, I'm more likely to *********** the president than be the president! And I'm HOPEFULLY more likely to be the Orwell than part of the Orwellian mass ;)

Van Squalen
06.06.06, 12:12 AM
Hey...Clinton smoked dope, Bush snorted coke, Washington grew fields upon fields of weed, and Jefferson fucked his slave women like bunnies.

Anybody can be president. ;)

I'll vote for ya, man. Just don't get all Orwellian on us. :p

janthraxx
06.06.06, 01:17 PM
I could NEVER be a politician--I'm too honest and ethical ;)

Van Squalen
06.06.06, 01:29 PM
Ok, well, we'll settle for the second coming of the messiah.

I'll be your Matthew. I can nominate several of our fellow brethren as candidates for Judas. :p

janthraxx
06.06.06, 06:30 PM
Ha! Good form.

Actually, Jesus is my distant half-brother. My dad fell through a wormhole two years after I was born (this is why my parents divorced, as it turns out) and found himself in the year O B.C. He then courted and impregnanted the VM (virgin my ass!). From saving me from abortion to fathering Jesus Christ, my daddy was a busy man in his younger days. Actually, he's pretty busy these days too, but now it mainly involves painting airplane parts at Boeing.

Van Squalen
06.06.06, 06:46 PM
Heh. Damn, dude. Hook me up with some of that immortal Meaning of Life revelation. :)

janthraxx
06.06.06, 07:15 PM
Evolution.

Van Squalen
06.06.06, 07:32 PM
Yeah, I know. But it's also something more.

As you well know. Hey Seuss. :)

janthraxx
06.06.06, 07:50 PM
Tell me this "more" you speak of.

And what about Suess? Heh?

Van Squalen
06.06.06, 08:06 PM
It's that same thing that lies in all of us. Everybody expresses it differently. Reason, faith, rationalism, theism.

Pretty basic, but it's gotta be at our current levels of development.

Our reality is part of something beyond what we now perceive as the limits of reality.

be_deviler
06.06.06, 09:36 PM
:funny:s. That was quite the exchange, fellas. Funny shit. And oh, by the way...

Or the Anti-Christ.

That one is already taken and if you'd care to challenge me for it, I'll be sure to instruct all these locusts I've got lounging around to set out for a tour of their own the next time you have a proctology exam. Try me. :devil:

-bd

Van Squalen
06.06.06, 09:50 PM
:funny:s. That was quite the exchange, fellas. Funny shit. And oh, by the way...

That one is already taken and if you'd care to challenge me for it, I'll be sure to instruct all these locusts I've got lounging around to set out for a tour of their own the next time you have a proctology exam. Try me. :devil:

-bd

You're the Anti-Christ? Cool beans, dude! However, fair warning, Jann the Mann here is the Anti-Anti Christ.

Now dial back that Armageddon shit before he stuffs your bony ass in Rosie O'Donnell's pickle jar. :devil:

be_deviler
06.06.06, 10:14 PM
Now dial back that Armageddon shit before he stuffs your bony ass in Rosie O'Donnell's pickle jar. :devil:

Bony ass? Two words for you, Squalen. "Assless chaps." Yeah, the ladies think I look good in them (especially when accessorized with my fuzzy white boots) and yeah, I've really been around that long. :)

And in a geddup like that I'd almost have to be the anti-christ, now wouldn't I? Hmmmmm????

-bd

janthraxx
06.06.06, 10:15 PM
I'm not the Anti-anti-Christ. I'm just plain anti Christ. Not THE Anti-Christ, mind you. Anti from the Greek for 'opposite.' I'm just anti Christ--and all organized religion.

And Squalen, there you go again with the double-n spelling of my name a la the editor of Rolling Stone (Jann S. Wenner). Old habits die hard or more often not at all, yeah?

I'm still peeved about your not accosting me at the show. Ass :(

Van Squalen
06.06.06, 10:46 PM
I'm still peeved about your not accosting me at the show. Ass :(

How could I, through that thick fog of chronic? :p

P.S. I LIKE addressing you as Jann. Gives panache. Just as you tend to call me plain ol' Squalen, as opposed to my preferred sobriquet, The Great and Powerful Van Fucking Squalen. :D

That oughta stir a private pot or two. :sssh:

Van Squalen
06.06.06, 10:47 PM
Bony ass? Two words for you, Squalen. "Assless chaps." Yeah, the ladies think I look good in them (especially when accessorized with my fuzzy white boots) and yeah, I've really been around that long. :)

As twona or fidd would no doubt remind us at this juncture, the phrase 'assless chaps' is a redundancy. Chaps don't have asses. :sssh:

The Anti Christ has fuzzy white boots. Shazam.

janthraxx
06.06.06, 10:49 PM
How could I, through that thick fog of chronic? :p

Very easily. :irked:

Van Squalen
06.06.06, 10:52 PM
Very easily. :irked:

Come on. Don't be mad, Jann. There's lots of shows coming this summer. How about Dave at Morongo? Or when the Sunset dates get posted?

Devore was a clusterfuck, and I wasn't in the best mood as it were.

And, I might add, I did make two attempts. :cool:

janthraxx
06.06.06, 10:58 PM
Like I said before. CRIMINAL.

Oh, and I've actually thought of doubling up on the n's if my name ever gets in print. It seems to masculinize it a little bit--at least as masculine as Jan will ever get :brickwall

I'm done with Dave. I don't need to ever see him again. What Sunset dates?

Van Squalen
06.06.06, 11:02 PM
Like I said before. CRIMINAL.

Oh, and I've actually thought of doubling up on the n's if my name ever gets in print. It seems to masculinize it a little bit--at least as masculine as Jan will ever get :brickwall

I'm done with Dave. I don't need to ever see him again. What Sunset dates?

Whoa, whoa. EVER again? No Dave?

He's supposed to play two more LA dates that haven't been announced yet.

Criminal seems excessive. You were having a good time. I witnessed. :devil:

janthraxx
06.06.06, 11:14 PM
You broke my heart I'll never be the same.

Dave=a tired washed-up shtick with an aural grimace. ;)

Van Squalen
06.06.06, 11:20 PM
You broke my heart I'll never be the same.

Dave=a tired washed-up shtick with an aural grimace. ;)

Ouch.

And ouch again.

I'll make it up to ya, pooky. Next show, I'm bringin' a surprise and my head on a platter. ;)

janthraxx
06.07.06, 12:06 AM
I would say that I look forward to it, but....:)

Van Squalen
06.07.06, 12:13 AM
:cool:

Van Squalen
06.07.06, 12:14 AM
Hey...it's 6-6-6 and the Rapture failed to occur.

Imagine that. :)

janthraxx
06.07.06, 12:20 AM
I'm about to be enraptured with my computer screen, if you get my thrust...

Where, oh where did this thread ever go wrong?? :wtf:

Van Squalen
06.07.06, 12:42 AM
Whaddya talkin' about? :confused:

This thread's touched on everything from trust and betrayal, espionage and assless chaps, the Rapture and the Anti-Christ, Jefferson's sex slaves, Elton John and vasectomies, Judas and Night Ranger, Dr. Seuss and evolution, wormholes and abortion clinics, Boeing and Orwell, chronic fog and greater reality, sperm and Rosie O'Donnell, the number of the Beast and aural grimaces.

Oh yeah, and a Sammy Wabo/Other Half concert.

This is the kind of thread dreams are made of. :D

the_atomic_punks_rule
06.07.06, 11:49 AM
i agree sammy was happier this show than any of the 5 i saw in 04...no doubt

i saw the first show in LA...and it blew this one away imo

sammy's band's sound is nowhere near a vh sound.

I was at that show too....I have a hard time believing this show smoked that one.

the_atomic_punks_rule
06.07.06, 11:52 AM
I could NEVER be a politician--I'm too honest and ethical ;)

So was a young Skywalker.

janthraxx
06.07.06, 11:57 AM

This thread's touched on everything from trust and betrayal, espionage and assless chaps, the Rapture and the Anti-Christ, Jefferson's sex slaves, Elton John and vasectomies, Judas and Night Ranger, Dr. Seuss and evolution, wormholes and abortion clinics, Boeing and Orwell, chronic fog and greater reality, sperm and Rosie O'Donnell, the number of the Beast and aural grimaces.

This should definitely have a place in the Links Hall of Shame.

sixstring
06.07.06, 01:43 PM

LOL!! :D Fuckin' A, Rudy...:thumb:

Funny shit, guys...made my day...;)

Van Squalen
06.07.06, 01:45 PM
LOL!! :D Fuckin' A, Rudy...:thumb:

Funny shit, guys...made my day...;)

How goes the TLW recovery, bud? Looked like a good time. If I might ask, what songs did you rip while noodling?

sixstring
06.07.06, 01:59 PM
How goes the TLW recovery, bud? Looked like a good time. If I might ask, what songs did you rip while noodling?

'Twas the bash o' the century, my fine friend! :D It WAS a wee bit of a task getting over that one on Monday and Tuesday...ahhh, fuck...who'm I kiddin, it's SUCKED all week so far! Fuck, bro, you SO shoulda been there. Hope to meet ya at the next one.

As far as the tunes, lemme see...*rubs chin*...

Sam Stuff:

Summer Nights
Best Of Both Worlds
Mine All Mine
Cabo Wabo
Black And Blue
Sucka In A 3 Piece
Poundcake
Judgement Day

Dave Stuff:

Runnin' With The Devil
Eruption
You Really Got Me
Feel Your Love Tonight
Little Dreamer
Dance The Night Away
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Light Up The Sky
DOA
Women In Love
Beautiful Girls
And The Cradle...
Romeo Delight
Mean Street
Unchained
Cathedral
Secrets
Little Guitars
Panama
Drop Dead Legs
Hot For Teacher
Girl Gone Bad
House Of Pain

...or something like that...;) :D

Van Squalen
06.07.06, 02:08 PM
Gosh, is that all? :sssh:

Sweet. And I hear you're good.

Myself, I think I would've liked to hear your versions of Mine all Mine and Girl gone Bad.

Bitchin'. :thumb:

Personally, I think you TLW folk should make the plan for Vegas next year, make it more central so more of us can attend. But that's just me thinkin' out loud.

Vegas flights are cheap all across the world. :)

janthraxx
06.07.06, 02:14 PM
Yeah seriously, how the hell did we manage to get all that in the conversation in a logical flow :confused:

Hahahaha good times. :bounce:

sixstring
06.07.06, 02:23 PM
Yeah seriously, how the hell did we manage to get all that in the conversation in a logical flow :confused:

Hahahaha good times. :bounce:

LOL! :D That's the only way I could remember them...

Squal, Vegas will prolly be an option next year if the party grows as much again as it did this year...;) :thumb:

Van Squalen
06.07.06, 02:27 PM
LOL! :D That's the only way I could remember them...

Squal, Vegas will prolly be an option next year if the party grows as much again as it did this year...;) :thumb:

Good.

I can convince several Linkers to attend if it's in Vegas, not the least of which may be myself. :)

sixstring
06.07.06, 03:39 PM
Good.

I can convince several Linkers to attend if it's in Vegas, not the least of which may be myself. :)

The biggest pothole in that road will be convincing KT that she's not hosting again...:D

be_deviler
06.07.06, 05:22 PM
Chaps don't have asses.

Ummm, yeah. I know. :rolleyes:

BTW, Why'd you capitalize the word "Rapture?" :sssh:

-bd

Van Squalen
06.07.06, 06:08 PM
Ummm, yeah. I know. :rolleyes:

BTW, Why'd you capitalize the word "Rapture?" :sssh:

-bd

Um, yeah, cool, you know, but you couldn't figure out the sarcasm?

Take it easy, slick. :thumb:

Van Squalen
06.07.06, 06:09 PM
The biggest pothole in that road will be convincing KT that she's not hosting again...:D

LOL, I'm sure.

Hopefully the larger contingent will sway her.

Besides...Vegas, baby, Vegas. :devil: