PDA

View Full Version : Michael Anthony blog about "The Other Half"

kennedy
05.05.06, 07:47 AM
MIKE ANTHONY ADDS REHEARSAL PICTURES & BLOG:
Legendary bassist Michael Anthony has set up his own Blog at this location: madanthonyblog.blogspot.com.
Michael says within his first blog: "I'm in the San Fran area and we just wrapped up rehearsals for the Other Half tour. Everybody is smokin' and the set list is on fire! Vic and Bro are kicking ass!!! I'm excited as hell for the first show in Lake Tahoe. We've got a few surprises in store - some songs we haven't played in quite some time and I'm really looking forward to rockin' with all of our fans this summer.
It feels like such a long time since the last VH tour ended. Sammy and I can't wait to get out there again and party with each and every one of you crazy mofos!!!!!"
Log in for the rest of his post. Pictures of the Other Half rehearsing are also online at Michael's official website: www.madanthonycafe.com/news.html.

Brett
05.05.06, 08:16 AM
I notice Mike doesn't even link to the official VH site on there. Not that there's a reason to, but don't see why he wouldn't. Obviously that relationship is going well.

Raldo
05.05.06, 08:19 AM
I think this is great!

Mike knows that the fan-band relationship is important. He always seems to go out of his way to give the fans what they want.

Thumbs up to Mike on this Cinco de Mayo day!!!

ZORBA5150
05.05.06, 08:25 AM
Fuck Mike. He needs to help mend Sam and Ed's relationship and give the fans what they really want!

OnTheInside1985
05.05.06, 08:27 AM
Fuck Mike. He needs to help mend Sam and Ed's relationship and give the fans what they really want!
i think that was uncalled for. mike hasn't doesnt anything wrong here. and some people, like you, are really selfish. mike and sam are having fun and putting on a great show. most people are excited to see it.

TOM_5150
05.05.06, 08:30 AM
You can't expect Mike to sit around and do nothing.

Bigdaddy_14
05.05.06, 09:03 AM
You can't expect Mike to sit around and do nothing.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeexactly!

Bad to the Bone
05.05.06, 09:05 AM
maybe he tried that and it didn't work out...

smithjc
05.05.06, 09:14 AM
Mikey still da man. :thumb:

batch
05.05.06, 09:28 AM
Im glad to see Mike taking care of fans, and ENJOYING PLAYING MUSIC.
That's great!!!

Brett: Yes, i think that's a pretty clear sign things are not goin well with the other half.. I mean the other half of the other half..

Where's sammy?? He's not rehearsing?

As brad once used to say: No news is good news....

HEY! Mike just gave us some news... mmmh..

vh_chick
05.05.06, 09:34 AM

HEY HEY HEY! We'll have none of that talk about Mikey.

What in the world do you expect him to do, anyway? Mike has been more loyal than a golden retriever, and he gets NO respect from Ed. Do you honestly think he would listen to a word Mike says? He's not a counselor or a mediator. He's a bass player, and he wants to play. He's doing EXACTLY what he should be doing.

Shari

BradS
05.05.06, 09:37 AM

Nah, screw Ed and Alex. They are the problem here...whether it's a Sam patch of a Dave patch. Mike owes them nothing; not anymore.

The ball is in the VH brother's court.

smithjc
05.05.06, 09:39 AM
Yep, it's all up to the bros. :brickwall

btw - tix for the Tahoe show go on sale tomorrow for the rest of us and I'm seriously pondering on goin despite my better judgment. :sssh:

BottomzUp
05.05.06, 10:20 AM
It's nice to see Mikey rocking with a big smile across his face! When it's all said and done isn't THAT what it's all about?!

servoguy101
05.05.06, 10:36 AM
why you so angry?

ericjt
05.05.06, 10:47 AM
I notice Mike doesn't even link to the official VH site on there. Not that there's a reason to, but don't see why he wouldn't. Obviously that relationship is going well.
On the bottom of the site is the "van halen" link, same place as it has been.

ZORBA5150
05.05.06, 10:52 AM
why you so angry?

I'm not angry about a thing. Ed might have walked all over Mike in the past, but he let him do it. He never stood up for himself, always letting Sammy do it for him. I can't really respect him completely because of that.

scs5150
05.05.06, 10:55 AM
Brett, there is a link to VH on the bottom of the home page, it says Van Halen.

loveevhsince79
05.05.06, 11:37 AM
HEY HEY HEY! We'll have none of that talk about Mikey.

What in the world do you expect him to do, anyway? Mike has been more loyal than a golden retriever, and he gets NO respect from Ed. Do you honestly think he would listen to a word Mike says? He's not a counselor or a mediator. He's a bass player, and he wants to play. He's doing EXACTLY what he should be doing.

Shari

Bravo. As much as it stinks to acknowledge it, it is what it is.

servoguy101
05.05.06, 12:17 PM
I'm not angry about a thing. Ed might have walked all over Mike in the past, but he let him do it. He never stood up for himself, always letting Sammy do it for him. I can't really respect him completely because of that.

and your wife doesnt run all over you? ( all in humor ) :thumb:

elvhfan
05.05.06, 12:21 PM
as usual hagar's nowhere to be seen at rehearsal....

TheresOnlyOneWay
05.05.06, 12:42 PM
as usual hagar's nowhere to be seen at rehearsal....

Or he was the one taking the pictures.

voivod
05.05.06, 12:48 PM
WE WANT MALINKS! :D

Greenpaw
05.05.06, 12:51 PM
Or he was the one taking the pictures.

Or they were rehearsing the songs that Mike is singing
http://www.madanthonycafe.com/rehearsals/rehearse3.jpg

jetguy5150
05.05.06, 12:57 PM
It's amazing how those few pictures just put a huge smile on my face and made me feel great! :thumb:

ED-A-HOLIC
05.05.06, 01:24 PM
I like the colors on the walls!!!

dropped-d
05.05.06, 02:11 PM

No offense, but he ain't Dr. f*&^%n Phil, he is "the bassplayer" and nothing would be funnier than an asskicking version of Van Halen fronted by none of the brothers. I hope the "Other Half" brings it.

Seriously, as Steve Lukather has implied, its time to move on or its time for the hermits to reappear. The ball is in Mike's court and I hope its a slam dunk.

vhin04
05.05.06, 02:16 PM
I love Mike, but I think he's pissing up the wrong rope here. This other half thing might be the exact reason why there is nothing going on with VH. Eddie has repeatedly said that his door is always open, and he's always ready to work on new material, but some people in the band prefer to go out and play, rather than go through the process of releasing new material. Sam even admitted as much-he complained that doing the 3 new tunes was too much work and not really fun. I don't know, I could go on forever here, I just think the Other Half is a sham, and I'm not really interested in what they are offering.

servoguy101
05.05.06, 02:41 PM
I love Mike, but I think he's pissing up the wrong rope here. This other half thing might be the exact reason why there is nothing going on with VH. Eddie has repeatedly said that his door is always open, and he's always ready to work on new material, but some people in the band prefer to go out and play, rather than go through the process of releasing new material. Sam even admitted as much-he complained that doing the 3 new tunes was too much work and not really fun. I don't know, I could go on forever here, I just think the Other Half is a sham, and I'm not really interested in what they are offering.

Guess we wont see you on tour...

AVH Blues
05.05.06, 02:48 PM
This other half thing might be the exact reason why there is nothing going on with VH.

This is your brain on drugs.

elvhfan
05.05.06, 03:04 PM
Guess we wont see you on tour...

won't see me either

TheresOnlyOneWay
05.05.06, 03:06 PM
More room for us!

Thai Boxer 9901
05.05.06, 04:35 PM
I plan on taking liz to this concert when it swings by here in August! For $35 tickets, how can you beat that? Whats cool about this though is that its outdoors which is awesome. Gives it a much more "Party Vibe" to it and that kicks ass. Im waiting to see what the set list is like so that I know what gems to look for. Isnt the Otherhalf supposed to be JUST Van Halen?

stilleddiesangel
05.05.06, 05:09 PM
Go Mikey... have a great time... a shit load of fun and oh yeah.. join us in Houston for the TLW and get blasted and play twister!!! :D

Van Murphenstein
05.05.06, 06:00 PM
The ball is in Mike's court and I hope its a slam dunk.

You mean a Sam-Dunk :)

Edson
05.05.06, 06:08 PM
i think that was uncalled for. mike hasn't doesnt anything wrong here. and some people, like you, are really selfish. mike and sam are having fun and putting on a great show. most people are excited to see it.

Not to mention Mikey is half responsible for planting the seeds for the Van Halen reunion 2004...

Soon to be EX-fan
05.05.06, 06:28 PM
Hey Mikey,

Ed's lawyer is on line 1, somethin' about the paint scheme on the rehearsal space walls....

Little Dreamer
05.05.06, 06:41 PM
The Other Half is important because in 2006, Michael Anthony is the number one carrier of the VH spirit. More than Ed. More than than Al, Sam or Dave.
Mike is the only one who has stayed faithful to what VH is about. In that respect the "Other Half" is the "Main Half." Now you may say he's not creating new music. Well neither are the VH bros or Dave for that matter.

VH's spirit has always been to get out there and play. The other guys have abandoned that idea.

Also Mike has a blog now. Every important artist is now communicating online, and Ed and Alex have totally failed to embrace this new state of things. Staying silent, not updating the official website, no reissue of old material, no live DVDs (look at how many live DVDs Rush is coming out with) - these guys have dropped the ball. They've abandoned the playing field and given up on VH legacy.

On the playing field now there's Mike Anthony, and Sam when he's not too busy building his tequila empire. In 2006, Michael Anthony IS Van Halen.

I'm_your_IceCreamMan
05.05.06, 07:26 PM
The Other Half is important because in 2006, Michael Anthony is the number one carrier of the VH spirit. More than Ed. More than than Al, Sam or Dave.
Mike is the only one who has stayed faithful to what VH is about. In that respect the "Other Half" is the "Main Half." Now you may say he's not creating new music. Well neither are the VH bros or Dave for that matter.

VH's spirit has always been to get out there and play. The other guys have abandoned that idea.

Also Mike has a blog now. Every important artist is now communicating online, and Ed and Alex have totally failed to embrace this new state of things. Staying silent, not updating the official website, no reissue of old material, no live DVDs (look at how many live DVDs Rush is coming out with) - these guys have dropped the ball. They've abandoned the playing field and given up on VH legacy.

On the playing field now there's Mike Anthony, and Sam when he's not too busy building his tequila empire. In 2006, Michael Anthony IS Van Halen.
:thumb: well said Dreamer...

79th and Sunset
05.05.06, 09:12 PM
I'm checking out the show when it comes to town. Always good to see Sammy and Mike playing ............

vistadelrey
05.05.06, 09:40 PM

good stuff here. right on.

Van Murphenstein
05.05.06, 11:20 PM
I think Ed was talking about Sam when he said his door is always open. It appears mike hasn't been welcome for awhile now, at least as far as Ed's concerned.

drummr
05.09.06, 12:27 PM
This tour just does not feel right to me. Basically, Mike and Sam are cashing in on Van Halen's legacy by actively promoting themselves as the "Other Half" and playing Van Halen music.

I know there are a lot of redheads out there who love Sammy no matter what, but I assure you that the majority of the audiences will be composed of Van Halen fans who want to hear Van Halen music as advertised.

I don't have a problem with former band members playing songs of their former bands, but actively marketing the fact that the Other Half will be performing a Van Halen set is ethically irresponsible. Under the circumstances and after all the BS spewed out by a certain Mr. Hagar, I find it incredibly insulting to Van Halen to just go out and cash in on Van Halen's music.

I have seen the Wabos several times and I can say with no doubt that they just don't have the chops to pull of Van Halen. David Lauser is a mediocre drummer at best and Vic Johnson will just be a poor substitute to the real thing.

The bottom line is if you are going to do a Van Halen tribute set then you need to get the right personnel to do the music justice. I'm sorry but just having Sam and Mikey and a couple of so so musicians just is not going to cut it. It's almost like what it would be like if Robert Plant hired Jimmy Buffet's band to play Led Zeppelin songs; it just wouldn't do the music justice.

Granted, Van Halen isn't doing anything right now and many of you want to hear the music. I know how you feel, but I am not going to kid myself and pretend that this is Van Halen. Eddie and Alex are the ones that create the excitement and magic onstage, so without them there is no magic. Might as well go check out all the other tribute bands out there such as the Atomic Punks, etc.

RKVH5150
05.09.06, 12:39 PM
I don't have a problem with former band members playing songs of their former bands, but actively marketing the fact that the Other Half will be performing a Van Halen set is ethically irresponsible. Under the circumstances and after all the BS spewed out by a certain Mr. Hagar, I find it incredibly insulting to Van Halen to just go out and cash in on Van Halen's music.

I'm cool with it.

How is it ethically irresponsible? He helped write those songs that he is playing, they are part of his intellectual property. It's a Sammy Hagar concert, of course you are going to hear Van Halen songs. He's playing them for the fans of the band who want to hear it. Maybe you aren't one who wants to hear it, but that's not ethically irresponsible at all.

Sammy mixes in new songs with hits from all eras of his music.

There are other former lead singers who do 20 song sets and maybe do one of their solo songs and the rest they are fronting a tribute band.

Van Squalen
05.09.06, 12:41 PM
This tour just does not feel right to me. Basically, Mike and Sam are cashing in on Van Halen's legacy by actively promoting themselves as the "Other Half" and playing Van Halen music.

I know there are a lot of redheads out there who love Sammy no matter what, but I assure you that the majority of the audiences will be composed of Van Halen fans who want to hear Van Halen music as advertised.

I have seen the Wabos several times and I can say with no doubt that they just don't have the chops to pull of Van Halen. David Lauser is a mediocre drummer at best and Vic Johnson will just be a poor substitute to the real thing.

The bottom line is if you are going to do a Van Halen tribute set then you need to get the right personnel to do the music justice. I'm sorry but just having Sam and Mikey and a couple of so so musicians just is not going to cut it. It's almost like what it would be like if Robert Plant hired Jimmy Buffet's band to play Led Zeppelin songs; it just wouldn't do the music justice.

Granted, Van Halen isn't doing anything right now and many of you want to hear the music. I know how you feel, but I am not going to kid myself and pretend that this is Van Halen. Eddie and Alex are the ones that create the excitement and magic onstage, so without them there is no magic. Might as well go check out all the other tribute bands out there such as the Atomic Punks, etc.

Mike and Sam are equally entitled to the Van Halen legacy. And you're mistaken, the majority of the audience will be Redheads, not VH fans. Maybe you're the kinda guy who could go watch Ed and Al riff sans a bassist, background vocs, and lead vocs, but most of the rest of the world would not.

I love you guys who claim Ed and Al are Van Halen, and all else is up for grabs. :thumb:

RKVH5150
05.09.06, 12:42 PM
Eddie has repeatedly said that his door is always open, and he's always ready to work on new material, but some people in the band prefer to go out and play, rather than go through the process of releasing new material. Sam even admitted as much-he complained that doing the 3 new tunes was too much work and not really fun.

Eddie also said that if the band with Gary didn't work out, he'd quit and play a cheese whistle.

What people say and what they do are completely different things. It could be that Eddie wasn't sincere, and it could be that everyones personality is just clashing right now and nothing is possible. Which is probably why we only got 3 songs back in 04.

drummr
05.09.06, 01:09 PM
I'm cool with it.

How is it ethically irresponsible? He helped write those songs that he is playing, they are part of his intellectual property. It's a Sammy Hagar concert, of course you are going to hear Van Halen songs. He's playing them for the fans of the band who want to hear it. Maybe you aren't one who wants to hear it, but that's not ethically irresponsible at all.

Sammy mixes in new songs with hits from all eras of his music.

There are other former lead singers who do 20 song sets and maybe do one of their solo songs and the rest they are fronting a tribute band.

Like I said, I don't have a problem with them playing Van Halen songs. This is something that I would look forward to myself. My problem is the way this tour is being marketed. They are using Van Halen to sell tickets by promising and actively promoting a Van Halen set by "The Other Half." This is the part that I find ethically irresponsible, especially given the fact the Sammy always finds a way to bad mouth Van Halen any chance he gets yet still strives to make money off of their name and legacy.

You are right, Sam should perform these songs since he did take part in writing the lyrics, but don't specifically use Van Halen as a marketing strategy to promote your tour, i.e., get Mike Anthony, create a new moniker for the Van Halen portion of your show and blog about it and say you are doing it for the fans that want to hear the music. The fans are still not getting the real deal and Sammy Hagar is only going to get richer by using Van Halen.

Sammy Hagar is a business man and I'm sure that he is very aware that the promise of a Van Halen set (not just 4 or 5 songs sprinkled throughout his set) is guaranteed to sell more tickets than just a regular Sammy Hagar and the Wabos gig.

As for David Lee Roth, who I'm sure is who you alluded to. I agree with you, it is kind of sad that most of his shows consist of Van Halen music. However, David Lee Roth has always held Van Halen's legacy in high regard and has been straightforward about it. In addition, and you may have a different opinion about this, he does his best at putting together bands that will do the music justice. From his Eat em and Smile days to the present his bands have consisted of top notch musicians that do possess the chops to do an appropriate tribute to the talents of Edward and Alex Van Halen.

Van Squalen
05.09.06, 01:25 PM
As for David Lee Roth, who I'm sure is who you alluded to. I agree with you, it is kind of sad that most of his shows consist of Van Halen music. However, David Lee Roth has always held Van Halen's legacy in high regard and has been straightforward about it. In addition, and you may have a different opinion about this, he does his best at putting together bands that will do the music justice. From his Eat em and Smile days to the present his bands have consisted of top notch musicians that do possess the chops to do an appropriate tribute to the talents of Edward and Alex Van Halen.

Yeah, and Sam Hagar, Mike Anthony, Dave Lauder, and Vic Johson don't have the chops to do the music justice, nor do they hold the legacy in high regard. :rolleyes:

Your bias is screaming.

drummr
05.09.06, 01:35 PM
And you're mistaken, the majority of the audience will be Redheads, not VH fans. Maybe you're the kinda guy who could go watch Ed and Al riff sans a bassist, background vocs, and lead vocs, but most of the rest of the world would not.

I love you guys who claim Ed and Al are Van Halen, and all else is up for grabs. :thumb:

Maybe I am mistaken and the majority of the audience will be redheads, but they sure are trying to sell more tickets by using Van Halen to promote this tour. I think you might agree that Van Halen is a larger draw than Sammy Hagar and the Wabos.

I don't know about you, but I fell in love with Van Halen because of the electrifying sound that they created with their instruments. I agree that David Lee Roth, Michael Anthony, Sammy Hagar and even Gary Cherone have significantly contributed to the legacy that is Van Halen, but without the core sound of the guitar, drums, and bass it would have just been another rock band and not the one that has an active forum of fans that continue to discuss the ups and downs of this groundbreaking band for years after they recorded their last proper album.

This is the reason why DLR and Sammy Hagar aren't as successful without the brothers as they were when they were in the band? I know you can argue about how successful is Van Halen without them right? Well, unfortunately the truth is what disappoints all us fans; Van Halen seems content in not making new music right now. However, the ingredients in sound that they provide is what sells the records and concert tickets.

Van Squalen
05.09.06, 01:42 PM
Maybe I am mistaken and the majority of the audience will be redheads, but they sure are trying to sell more tickets by using Van Halen to promote this tour. I think you might agree that Van Halen is a larger draw than Sammy Hagar and the Wabos.

I don't know about you, but I fell in love with Van Halen because of the electrifying sound that they created with their instruments. I agree that David Lee Roth, Michael Anthony, Sammy Hagar and even Gary Cherone have significantly contributed to the legacy that is Van Halen, but without the core sound of the guitar, drums, and bass it would have just been another rock band and not the one that has an active forum of fans that continue to discuss the ups and downs of this groundbreaking band for years after they recorded their last proper album.

This is the reason why DLR and Sammy Hagar aren't as successful without the brothers as they were when they were in the band? I know you can argue about how successful is Van Halen without them right? Well, unfortunately the truth is what disappoints all us fans; Van Halen seems content in not making new music right now. However, the ingredients in sound that they provide is what sells the records and concert tickets.

What you keep skipping over is the fact that they too are Van Halen, as much as Ed and Al are. Ed's the cornerstone, obviously, but there IS another half of Van Halen. 'The Other Half' is a riff both on the break between the members and the fact that they wanna play Van Halen songs, with or without Ed. Whose fault is that?

Why the hell shouldn't they capitalize on a body of work they helped create? And the indications seem to be that Sam's fan base is growing these days, while the VH fanbase is shrinking. Now I wonder why that is. Sure, you can blame the tequila and the business, but I think it's more about just being out in the public eye. You gotta step out the front door for people to know you're still alive, and worthy of a ticket purchase.

I get the feeling these shows are gonna be a lot more fun than the '04 tour.

Again, whose fault is that?

drummr
05.09.06, 01:47 PM
Yeah, and Sam Hagar, Mike Anthony, Dave Lauder, and Vic Johson don't have the chops to do the music justice, nor do they hold the legacy in high regard. :rolleyes:

Your bias is screaming.

Your right my bias is screaming, because I think the musicians in the Atomic Punks probably have more chops than Dave Lauser and Vic Johnson. I never said that Sammy Hagar and Michael Anthony don't have the chops to pull it off. I happen to think that Sam is a great singer (in fact I was very disappointed when he first left the band because I did think he was the better vocalist when compared to DLR) and Michael is obviously and definitely an essential component of the Van Halen sound, I just don't agree with Sam's priorities and the way he is going about promoting this tour. If they are going to do a Van Halen tribute, do it right. Get a guitar player and drummer who can do the music justice. Each time I have seen the Wabos performing Van Halen music, although I have enjoyed it because I love the songs, it just sounds like Van Halen lite. To me Van Halen music is bombastic and I just don't get that energy from Vic and Dave.

RKVH5150
05.09.06, 01:53 PM

I wish Roth would give more credit to his solo work. There is some really good stuff in there.

I think Vic Johnson plays the Eddie stuff the way he feels it, and not a carbon copy note for note how it is on the album, which is what he should do. They aren't doing a Atomic Punks impersonation, which is play a show note for note like Van Halen. I can appreciate giving a different spin on the stuff. I remember when "Stand Up" came out from DLR, and we all changed the opening line to "He plays like Eddie, it's a good impersonation" as a joke.

Yes, it's part marketing with "The Other Half", but also I think Sammy just wants to give fans what they want to hear. I don't think there is a huge conspiracy to milk money from the fans, I think it's just adding to his show. However, as always there is a chance that it could be just a money thing.

Van Squalen
05.09.06, 02:03 PM
Your right my bias is screaming, because I think the musicians in the Atomic Punks probably have more chops than Dave Lauser and Vic Johnson. I never said that Sammy Hagar and Michael Anthony don't have the chops to pull it off. I happen to think that Sam is a great singer (in fact I was very disappointed when he first left the band because I did think he was the better vocalist when compared to DLR) and Michael is obviously and definitely an essential component of the Van Halen sound, I just don't agree with Sam's priorities and the way he is going about promoting this tour. If they are going to do a Van Halen tribute, do it right. Get a guitar player and drummer who can do the music justice. Each time I have seen the Wabos performing Van Halen music, although I have enjoyed it because I love the songs, it just sounds like Van Halen lite. To me Van Halen music is bombastic and I just don't get that energy from Vic and Dave.

Obviously it's more bombastic, among many other attributes, if it were Ed and Al instead of Vic and Dave.

But if anybody can represent accordingly given the limitations without the VH brothers present....it's these guys. IMO, of course. I'd rather see the Other Half, with real members of the real Van Halen, than the Punks anyday.

I think Vic and Dave are fine musicians. Comparing them to Ed and Al isn't exactly fair, is it, but even given that, I have little doubt they'll play better than the '04 reunion outings.

BradS
05.09.06, 02:07 PM
I have little doubt they'll play better than the '04 reunion outings.

Given the boots I heard from the '04 tour, any decent guitarist can make the VH songs sound better.

drummr
05.09.06, 02:09 PM
What you keep skipping over is the fact that they too are Van Halen, as much as Ed and Al are. Ed's the cornerstone, obviously, but there IS another half of Van Halen. 'The Other Half' is a riff both on the break between the members and the fact that they wanna play Van Halen songs, with or without Ed. Whose fault is that?

Why the hell shouldn't they capitalize on a body of work they helped create? And the indications seem to be that Sam's fan base is growing these days, while the VH fanbase is shrinking. Now I wonder why that is. Sure, you can blame the tequila and the business, but I think it's more about just being out in the public eye. You gotta step out the front door for people to know you're still alive, and worthy of a ticket purchase.

I get the feeling these shows are gonna be a lot more fun than the '04 tour.

Again, whose fault is that?

Well, obviously they are "The Other Half" of Van Halen, but I don't agree that their contributions in the band are necessarily equal. I find it hard to believe that either one of these gentleman had a hand in creating the signature Van Halen riffs that has made the music so memorable.

You know what, I will agree to disagree. As a fan I guess we also have different priorities. Maybe some fans will have more fun at a Sammy Hagar concert for reasons that differ from why I go to concerts. However, I have seen Sammy Hagar and the Wabos several times and it has never compared to the Van Halen experience whether it be 1982 or 2004.

And again I don't have a problem with the songs being performed I just don't like the way the tour is being marketed. I just don't like Sammy Hagar's priorities. I believe that Sam enjoys being a solo artist and marketing his tequila which is what seems to have created a conflict of interest and friction with Van Halen. I believe that Sammy will do the Van Halen gig when it serves his best interest and use that aspect of his career to sell more tickets.

Van Squalen
05.09.06, 02:13 PM
Given the boots I heard from the '04 tour, any decent guitarist can make the VH songs sound better.

Don't get me wrong...I think it was hit and miss. The first show in Vegas I caught, Ed was...well, not good. Drunk. Pissed off at Sam and Mike. Not a good stage vibe or proficient performance.

Couple weeks later, at Staples, he seemed much better, and most of the songs went off without a hitch, although his solo was still less than exemplary. But being in the golden rings, everything was a little tainted through the rose-tinted glasses of being so close.

Overall, we know Ed wasn't quite up to snuff on that tour.

I think it'll be a tight set, and I'm hoping for even more long lost gems pulled out over the course of the tour. Summer Nights. Mine all Mine. Sucker. 5150. AFU. Black and Blue. Don't Tell Me.

Judgment Day, Good Enough, and Humans Being are a terrific start.

Van Squalen
05.09.06, 02:16 PM
Well, obviously they are "The Other Half" of Van Halen, but I don't agree that their contributions in the band are necessarily equal.

Yeah, well, you're hardly the first to maintain that. I, on the other hand, don't agree with that assessment in any way, shape, or form.

Van Halen is nothing more or less than the sum of its parts.

Anyway, I'll toast one for ya in honor of your absentia this summer. :thumb:

drummr
05.09.06, 02:22 PM

I know a lot of people were not impressed with Eddie's playing during the 2004 tour. However, I do have a different assessment of his playing.

It's true Eddie played the songs differently, perhaps without some of the finesse that we have become accustomed to. My opinion was that he was experimenting with his music, i.e., taking a different direction, getting out of the comfort zone. Jazz musicians do this all the time, think John Coltrane. During the 2004 tour I thought Eddie was going for a more dissonant aggressive sound and definitely experimented with different guitar phrasings.

I appreciated the fact that he was trying something new and was actually blown away by some of the things he was doing even though it was different. I'm not sure that his playing during this tour was my favorite, but I do understand what he was doing as a musician.

mmdog
05.09.06, 02:58 PM
Like I said, I don't have a problem with them playing Van Halen songs. This is something that I would look forward to myself. My problem is the way this tour is being marketed. They are using Van Halen to sell tickets by promising and actively promoting a Van Halen set by "The Other Half." This is the part that I find ethically irresponsible, especially given the fact the Sammy always finds a way to bad mouth Van Halen any chance he gets yet still strives to make money off of their name and legacy.

You are right, Sam should perform these songs since he did take part in writing the lyrics, but don't specifically use Van Halen as a marketing strategy to promote your tour, i.e., get Mike Anthony, create a new moniker for the Van Halen portion of your show and blog about it and say you are doing it for the fans that want to hear the music. The fans are still not getting the real deal and Sammy Hagar is only going to get richer by using Van Halen.

Sammy Hagar is a business man and I'm sure that he is very aware that the promise of a Van Halen set (not just 4 or 5 songs sprinkled throughout his set) is guaranteed to sell more tickets than just a regular Sammy Hagar and the Wabos gig.

First off, Hagar still plays a ton of solo songs at his shows. Secondly, how is this much different than the VH3 Tour, which was basically marketed as a chance to hear Roth era tunes again? Roth wasn't there to sing them, were they taking advantage of him? Sometimes, I find it laughable when people say how Sam and Dave have no careers without Ed. Maybe. But where was Ed, without them?

drummr
05.09.06, 03:49 PM
First off, Hagar still plays a ton of solo songs at his shows. Secondly, how is this much different than the VH3 Tour, which was basically marketed as a chance to hear Roth era tunes again? Roth wasn't there to sing them, were they taking advantage of him? Sometimes, I find it laughable when people say how Sam and Dave have no careers without Ed. Maybe. But where was Ed, without them?

Correct me if I'm wrong but the VH3 tour was Van Halen with a different singer. Van Halen can play whatever they want, it's their music and to me it's about the music. The core of the band was there, the power trio of Ed, Alex, and Mikey. Like I mentioned earlier, some fans have different perspectives on what they like and what's important to them. Although, I believe all the singers in the band have made a significant contribution and I have enjoyed their work, when it comes down to it I go to Van Halen concerts to see Eddie and Alex primarily. They are the ones that blow me away, it's Eddie's guitar that has provided the melodies that have been the soundtrack to my life and Alex has been one of my main influences as a drummer. I understand that to some people the band is the sum of all its parts and I believe that to be true to a certain degree, but you can't drive a Ferrari with a Honda engine.

Little Dreamer
05.09.06, 07:21 PM
Discussing which "Half" is better is pointless. There is only one "Half" to choose from!
I don't care if the "half" born in Holland has made a more important contribution, since they are not getting out of their homes. They don't want to play live. The Other Half is the only one out there, so it's the one I'll go to see, thank you very much.

TheArchitect
05.10.06, 06:22 AM

Go on forever pulling shit out of context? Probably so since you have done so well so far.

VH disappearing is not the problem/fault of Mike Sammy or Dave. Sam said the recording process was taking too long, not that it was too much work. Why don't you take your head out of your ass and face the fact that your boy Eddie is the sole cause of VH being the punchline it has become instead of the legend it should be.

loveevhsince79
05.10.06, 07:51 AM
In Mikey's own words, the reason why they are doing it:

"So we're going to go out this summer, we're putting together the thing that we're calling The Other Half and we're going to play Van Halen and do it right, do a nice production and not me just jamming with his band; you know, we're going to go and play it and the only reason is because the brothers aren't wanting to go out and play it for the fans. Now if they want to come out and play, they're invited! If they want to come out and do it and do Van Halen and do it the right way and have fun, let's go, let's do it, I'm ready right now. But the interest is really there and Sammy and I want to go out and we want to play these songs."

"Well never say never but we're currently in a state of limbo. After the reunion tour ended so abruptly we all went into our own corners and truthfully Ed doesn't want to tour right now or maybe ever again. I don't know what he's thinking at this point. So I would say that we're on a temporary hiatus that possibly could become permanent, you never know. With that said I realize that's not much of an answer but that's really where things are right now and tomorrow it could all change again."

It's not out of spite, it's not because of money, it's not to disrespect the origins of the music. It can't be any clearer, Edward does not want to do it. If he changes his mind and gets himself together, it will be welcomed. I don't understand why Sam and Mikey trying to make people happy is a bad thing. I'll admit it, when I go to see them, I'm going to be jonesin' for Edward but the reality is that he isn't in a condition mentally or physically that would allow him too. It sucks big time but that's the fact jack. :cool:

ZORBA5150
05.10.06, 08:07 AM
Sammy did say it was too much work and took too long in the studio to make those three new songs. Ed has stated repeatedly that he wanted/wants to make a new album before touring again. A lot of people on this board bashed Ed and Alex for a "cash-grab" tour in 2004, and did not blame Saint Sammy or Saint Mike. If Ed and Al joined Sammy and Mike for a tour this summer, how would that be any different from the last (not being a sellout, just promoting their past catalogue)?

BradS
05.10.06, 08:28 AM
Sammy did say it was too much work and took too long in the studio to make those three new songs.

I think that was in reference to Ed's bad work ethic...not staying focused. The three songs were pretty lackluster, so if I were Sam, and Ed had been dragging ass and could only come up with those three songs...I'd want to stop at that point too.

ZORBA5150
05.10.06, 08:55 AM
I think that was in reference to Ed's bad work ethic...not staying focused. The three songs were pretty lackluster, so if I were Sam, and Ed had been dragging ass and could only come up with those three songs...I'd want to stop at that point too.

If I remember correctly it was Sam's work ethic that was in question.- this was the case in the 90s as well. He just wanted to tour, not make new music. The lyrics are what was lacking on those three songs. Ed's work ethic in the studio has always been good according to reports from producers, friends, other singers/musicians etc

loveevhsince79
05.10.06, 10:49 AM
Add to it that Edward was being a perfectionist about the music itself which I believe I read Sam said somewere.

Van Squalen
05.10.06, 10:54 AM
Bottom line, rhyme or reason, Mike and Sam (and Dave) wanna play.

Ed doesn't.

So there ya have it.

drummr
05.10.06, 11:21 AM
I'm with the ones that want new music. Although they used to record (albums) them in a week or two back in the day; this is obviously not the case anymore. I guess now that they are older they do have other priorities that prevents them from making an album so quickly, e.g., family, health, etc.

I think the last three songs were great; the lyrics did leave something to be desired. I would have been happy to wait another year or so for a full album of new Van Halen nuggets, but I guess others involved could not, would not be that patient or focused to realize that goal. Like I said other priorities, e.g., going out to promote your tequilia in the guise of a rock tour.

BradS
05.10.06, 11:23 AM
If I remember correctly it was Sam's work ethic that was in question.

I remember it differently...I could be wrong.

this was the case in the 90s as well. He just wanted to tour, not make new music.

I don't believe much of what the VH brothers say...I doubt this was the case to be honest.

The lyrics are what was lacking on those three songs.

Oh no sir. The lyrics weren't their best, but Ed's playing wasn't either...the song arrangment was awful.

BradS
05.10.06, 11:24 AM
Bottom line, rhyme or reason, Mike and Sam (and Dave) wanna play.

Ed doesn't.

So there ya have it.

Damn straight!

Van Squalen
05.10.06, 11:25 AM
I think the last three songs were great; the lyrics did leave something to be desired. I would have been happy to wait another year or so for a full album of new Van Halen nuggets, but I guess others involved could not, would not be that patient or focused to realize that goal. Like I said other priorities, e.g., going out to promote your tequilia in the guise of a rock tour.

LOL, De Nile is a river in Africa.

The reason you don't have new Van Halen music is 'cause of one man and one man only. Here's a quarter. Buy a clue.

BradS
05.10.06, 11:26 AM
You really think decisions aren't made without Ed's stamp of approval? It is Ed's fault that nothing is happening. No one else.

Bostonian
05.10.06, 11:35 AM
I think people are over reacting a tad to "the other half".

There is a point in peoples lives when they want to slow down or take time for themselves. I am not making excuses for Eddie and Alex, I cannot speak for them or anyone else, but Eddie has been through a lot and is not the same person we remember in 1996 before things began to fall apart.

I feel bad for him, and honestly wish him the best. If staying home, and doing his own thing is what he wants, we cannot fault him for that. Mikey and Sammy are going out and doing what they continue to love to do, and that is play. They are not taking away from VH's legacy, nor are they damaging it. They love playing, and love the fans reaction. Let's stop second guessing what the boys are thinking and enjoy each moment as it comes.

The band is no longer what it once was, and people change. And that is what has happened. Many of us will always love VH, and will jump at a moments notice to see them or their respective members together or solo. The best way to show respect to VH is to go and see Sammy and Mikey... Check out Dave the next time he tours, and keep listening to the music. That way VH's legacy will continue no matter what happens.

vh_chick
05.10.06, 11:41 AM
I think people are over reacting a tad to "the other half".

There is a point in peoples lives when they want to slow down or take time for themselves. I am not making excuses for Eddie and Alex, I cannot speak for them or anyone else, but Eddie has been through a lot and is not the same person we remember in 1996 before things began to fall apart.

I feel bad for him, and honestly wish him the best. If staying home, and doing his own thing is what he wants, we cannot fault him for that. Mikey and Sammy are going out and doing what they continue to love to do, and that is play. They are not taking away from VH's legacy, nor are they damaging it. They love playing, and love the fans reaction. Let's stop second guessing what the boys are thinking and enjoy each moment as it comes.

The band is no longer what it once was, and people change. And that is what has happened. Many of us will always love VH, and will jump at a moments notice to see them or their respective members together or solo. The best way to show respect to VH is to go and see Sammy and Mikey... Check out Dave the next time he tours, and keep listening to the music. That way VH's legacy will continue no matter what happens.

Brilliant, Bostonian, and spot on.

Shari

PS - It never ceases to amaze me how the name "Roth" turns up in threads that have ZERO to do with him. Love Dave, tho. Come to Detroit, Dave. Sammy and Mike, see you on July 8th. :thumb:

Greenpaw
05.10.06, 11:46 AM
If I remember correctly it was Sam's work ethic that was in question.- this was the case in the 90s as well. He just wanted to tour, not make new music.

Since being fired from VH, Sammy's released 4 studio and one live album, 2 DVDs, toured nonstop. Resurrected the Cabo Wabo Cantina and put out his own tequila.

In that same time, Van Halen released ONE album and did ONE tour.

But Sammy has the bad work ethic? :wtf:

I think the facts speak for themselves.

drummr
05.10.06, 11:48 AM
LOL, De Nile is a river in Africa.

The reason you don't have new Van Halen music is 'cause of one man and one man only. Here's a quarter. Buy a clue.

Yes, yes. It is always easier to blame the brothers. As a matter of fact we did get three new songs and frankly isn't it evident there was more effort on Edward's part putting the music together. It sure didn't sound to me like Sam spent too much time on the lyrics.

I believe the brothers Van Halen, specifically Edward, are perfectionists and prefer to take their time to release music that will meet the standard that Van Halen is known for. There was an opportunity for this to happen in 2004 and unfortunately it did not. Why is it their fault that others don't have the patience or commitment.

You can choose to believe whichever side you want, but let me remind you Sam Hagar is a salesman first and foremost in this day and age. He stopped making music for the sake of the craft itself, instead it has become a gimmick to promote his other ventures that revolve around his Cabo Wabo tequila. It is obvious that Sam will say and do anything to get him on everyone's good side. Why? So you go to the shows, get shitfaced off of the tequila and pretend you are getting something that you are not.

I love Van Halen and would love to go see them live again, but I am not going to be sold on the Other Half. There are other bands out there putting on shows for the right reason, the music, and I will go see them.

Bostonian
05.10.06, 11:50 AM
Brilliant, Bostonian, and spot on.

Shari

PS - It never ceases to amaze me how the name "Roth" turns up in threads that have ZERO to do with him. Love Dave, tho. Come to Detroit, Dave. Sammy and Mike, see you on July 8th. :thumb:

Thanks Shari :)

And I had to include Dave since he was just as much of an influence on the band during his time as Sammy was during his. I want Sammy and Mikey to come to Boston! Seen dave enough times, but would definately go check him out again just to hear mean streets live one more time.

Van Squalen
05.10.06, 11:51 AM
Have fun at the other shows. ;)

Edward's perfectionism was readily apparent in 2004.

drummr
05.10.06, 11:56 AM
Since being fired from VH, Sammy's released 4 studio and one live album, 2 DVDs, toured nonstop. Resurrected the Cabo Wabo Cantina and put out his own tequila.

But of course, he is very motivated to go out and sell his tequila. His tequila has made him a very rich man. What, at $45 a bottle. Hey, that's cool more power to him, I personally don't like it tied in to every freakin aspect of his music career.

ZORBA5150
05.10.06, 11:58 AM

Sammy said at the beginning of the tour that maybe they could release some tunes online or something, when asked about making a new complete album. Was he covering for the fact that he and Ed did not get along that well in the studio- thus the long hard effort for the 1st songs? Perhaps. But Sam had no interest in doing a whole album from day one. He said all this. I'm going to search all over this site for his quotes.- But it was Ed who wanted a full album. Sam has a great work ethic when it comes to his solo stuff

vh_chick
05.10.06, 12:00 PM
I personally think the 2004 tour and specifically BOBW were rushed because someone (Ed, Sam, Mike, Al, Irv, whoever!) knew that this group of four wouldn't be able to get along for too long. I think if they had stayed in the studio for a couple months, we would have gotten NOTHING but more unreleased music in the vault. Instead, I GOT TO BE IN THE GOLDEN RINGS!!! TWICE!!! :bounce:

Shari

Greenpaw
05.10.06, 12:09 PM
I personally think the 2004 tour and specifically BOBW were rushed because someone (Ed, Sam, Mike, Al, Irv, whoever!) knew that this group of four wouldn't be able to get along for too long. I think if they had stayed in the studio for a couple months, we would have gotten NOTHING but more unreleased music in the vault. Instead, I GOT TO BE IN THE GOLDEN RINGS!!! TWICE!!! :bounce:

Shari

I think you're right. :cool:

There was a lot of stuff these guys said regarding new material and the future of VH in the beginning of the 2004 reunion that may have bent the truth a little.

Or a lot. :irked:

Van Squalen
05.10.06, 12:11 PM
I personally don't like that the bulk of Van Halen's body of work is almost always referencing sex, women, booze, good times and partyin'.

Oh wait a second...yes I do. :)

loveevhsince79
05.10.06, 12:14 PM
I think you're right. :cool:

There was a lot of stuff these guys said regarding new material and the future of VH in the beginning of the 2004 reunion that may have bent the truth a little.

Or a lot. :irked:

I don't know, maybe they thought things would somehow work themselves out or were being hopeful that once they were on the road, the special bonds between them would return.

RKVH5150
05.10.06, 12:22 PM
If I remember correctly it was Sam's work ethic that was in question.- this was the case in the 90s as well. He just wanted to tour, not make new music.

I might have it backward, but I thought that Sammy didn't want to do "Best of Vol 1" and do a tour off of a Greatest Hits album back in 1996. He wanted to take a few months off for his wife's pregnancy, then do a full album and tour again.

Again I might be wrong.

ZORBA5150
05.10.06, 12:31 PM
I might have it backward, but I thought that Sammy didn't want to do "Best of Vol 1" and do a tour off of a Greatest Hits album back in 1996. He wanted to take a few months off for his wife's pregnancy, then do a full album and tour again.

Again I might be wrong.

This goes back to the recording of F.U.C.K. and Balance- from what I've read, and he was sick of touring back then as well.

RKVH5150
05.10.06, 12:39 PM
This goes back to the recording of F.U.C.K. and Balance- from what I've read, and he was sick of touring back then as well.

Never heard that. Just that he didn't want to do a greatest hits, and if they did do one, he didn't want to tour off of it.

BradS
05.10.06, 12:41 PM

What I find odd about that is that Sammy toured and put out albums like crazy after he left VH. He has been on tour many more times than VH since Sammy left.

Doesn't give much credibility to the VH brothers claim that he didn't want to tour.

sickman
05.10.06, 01:22 PM
What I find odd about that is that Sammy toured and put out albums like crazy after he left VH. He has been on tour many more times than VH since Sammy left.

Doesn't give much credibility to the VH brothers claim that he didn't want to tour.

He just didn't want to tour with them.

BradS
05.10.06, 01:27 PM

Nah, I think the VH brothers were lying.

Van Squalen
05.10.06, 01:29 PM
Nah, I think the VH brothers were lying.

Voila! Here's a man who's taken off the tinted shades.

Man, they were a bitch to get off, weren't they?

But once they're off...that blinding light of truth really hits home.

Alas. There but for the grace of gods go we. All's unwell that ends unwell. Hidey hee, hidey ho, eskimo pussy's mighty cold.

:devil:

loveevhsince79
05.10.06, 01:39 PM

There's a big difference in putting out so so music and music that affects people souls with the sheer brillance of it. I'd rather wait two years for bone tingling music and that's what Edward delivered time and time again.

Greenpaw
05.10.06, 01:45 PM
There's a big difference in putting out so so music and music that affects people souls with the sheer brillance of it. I'd rather wait two years for bone tingling music and that's what Edward delivered time and time again.

True, but it's been 11 years since Balance. How much longer does Ed want us to wait? :brickwall

BradS
05.10.06, 01:47 PM

I agree to a certain extent, but the point was that Ed and Al were saying that Sammy didn't want to tour, but I think the record shows that since Balance, Sammy has not only been the one offering new music and touring, but wanting too.

ZORBA5150
05.10.06, 01:52 PM
I agree to a certain extent, but the point was that Ed and Al were saying that Sammy didn't want to tour, but I think the record shows that since Balance, Sammy has not only been the one offering new music and touring, but wanting too.

All true it seems, unless it's within Van Halen

BradS
05.10.06, 01:53 PM
All true it seems, unless it's within Van Halen

And who's fault is that? I don't think it's Sammy's.

TheArchitect
05.10.06, 01:55 PM

Again I might be wrong.

Your not

TheArchitect
05.10.06, 01:56 PM

Last 3 releases to the contrary
BOV1
BOBW

The only thing they moved was my bowels

TheArchitect
05.10.06, 01:59 PM

Thats exactly what it was in reference to. Unfortunately the EVH apologists will never face this reality

loveevhsince79
05.10.06, 02:01 PM

LOL, well let's be honest, you have to have a singer that wants to be there and Edward and Al want there to tour. And the only acceptable singer is Dave and Sam for most of their fans. Those options are out so what do you do? I mean, III sunk like rock when they tried someone different.

loveevhsince79
05.10.06, 02:04 PM
Last 3 releases to the contrary
BOV1
BOBW

The only thing they moved was my bowels

Oh, I see everything has to be a home run. And for many, 3 did it for them, maybe not you or Van Squalen (let's just get that one out of the way, LOL) as well as the new Dave songs on BOV1.

Van Squalen
05.10.06, 02:16 PM
Oh, I see everything has to be a home run. And for many, 3 did it for them, maybe not you or Van Squalen (let's just get that one out of the way, LOL) as well as the new Dave songs on BOV1.

Now, now. Come on. ;) Van Halen hardly has a record of complete and utter home runs. DITS. Loss of Control. Jump. When it's Love. Spanked. Man on a Mission. CSLY. Strung Out. Not Enough.

And I think 'MANY' is a strong word to use, in terms of VH III 'doing it for them.' Let's call that that it is, i.e., several dozen folks in the hardcore online VH community. The rest of the world could give a fuck as far Cherone-led VH. LOL, in fact, didn't I just see John Stewart last night on the Daily Show reference VH 3, terming poor ol' Gary as 'the last thing you wanna be thought of is the poor man's Sammy Hagar.'

Dave and Sam aren't necessarily OUT, as far as options. They're both still alive, still putting on concerts filled with old VH material, and they both have gone on record claiming they'd gladly reunite with VH if certain terms were met.

Again, only one man is gonna make VH happen. Or not.

http://usera.imagecave.com/Bard/squalenavatar27na.jpg :devil:

RevolutionMan
05.10.06, 06:51 PM
for once squalen is right. but wrong about III. III is such a weird deal it is hard to compare to the rest of their material. musically songs are strong (oh man not the last track... holy....) and lyrically its alright. but it is odd how garys voice is strained on the record, but live he was decent. too bad the record wasnt as decent as it was live.
im glad you watch jon stewart. and he likes van halen. remember his show from 95? thats right.... vh will return with someone at the helm.
hopefully dave, however that is basically a -70% possibility but really who knows what they are up to. isnt anyone on this board really friends with the guys or have connections? seeing as how this is the main board on the net for the band you would figure someone here knows something but isnt typing.... dig that.

Van Squalen
05.10.06, 08:11 PM
You'd figure. :)

For the record, I ain't wrong about the record. :D

http://usera.imagecave.com/Bard/iiiisunderratedbig3eb.jpg

MAX
05.10.06, 10:25 PM

That was lame.

Besides, who in the heck are YOU to decide what fans "really" want? What I really want doesn't include Roy Hagar.