PDA

View Full Version : Summer Nights: Sam & Mike!

F'nRockstar
04.01.06, 09:14 PM
Who's going to this show and getting completely trashed, having a good time and listening to some killer tunes???
Hope they play Summer Nights and Cabo Wabo...

SNIC
04.01.06, 09:17 PM
Who's going to this show and getting completely trashed, having a good time and listening to some killer tunes???
Hope they play Summer Nights and Cabo Wabo...

SUMMER NIGHTS AND CABO WABO!!!

:thumb:

Ashe
04.01.06, 10:01 PM
Summer Nights is an Eddie showcase. That song is going to be butchered if they attempt to play it.

DoHalen5150
04.01.06, 10:26 PM
Vic may butcher the song, but atleast we'll be able to hear sammy sing this gem live.

F'nRockstar
04.01.06, 10:44 PM
I hope they play it...It's not that hard to play... You just need the transtrem!!!

F'nRockstar
04.01.06, 10:48 PM
Only $15 bux in Cleveland. Sam is workin hard to keep the ticket prices down!
Not bad...

Ashe
04.01.06, 10:48 PM
Watch "Live Without a Net" again. Vic cannot play that.

Pacfanweb
04.01.06, 11:25 PM
Sure, Vic can play it. He's capable of playing any of the VH stuff, but Sam doesn't have him copy the songs exactly.
He's even made a point to mention that his guitarist is not an Eddie clone.

But that doesn't mean Vic isn't capable of playing the stuff note-for-note if Sam wanted him to.

willy4pres
04.01.06, 11:38 PM

Learn to play guitar, then you will understand that most pro level musicians could do a decent job on that tune, it's not that hard.

Uncle Rico
04.01.06, 11:55 PM
Who fucking cares . 5150 is the WORST VH ALBUM BY FAR. Thats right I said it. And I'll meet you down at the ol' fishing hole? Fuck... makes "up for breakfast" sound like Stairway.

You know, everyone bags on Eddie saying he's an ego maniac and shit, but you know what? I would be pissed at Sammy too if 75% of the songs he came to me with had stupid ass lyrics like that.

Oh shit, it's 8:05 it's time to rock. I gotta go meet Dick in the Dirt!

Oh, and who cares if Vic can play that song or not. He wouldn't have to if Sammy and Mike would stop hawking food stuffs' long enough to remember that THEY ARE IN VAN HALEN!!!!!!!!! You dont need all that other shit when you're in VAN HALEN. Eddie is exactly right to think that that shit is bull. It's not like Nobody cares about them anymore. They don't need the money. I mean, can you Imagine if Everything Paul Newman did related to Salad dressing? He would have been outta the movie industry 20 years ago.

OK SAMMY WE GET IT!!! YOU LIKE TEQUELLIA. AND MIKE, YOU'RE A GREAT GUY, BUT NOBODY YOUR HOT SAUCE. I THINK THAT MAYBE IF YOU GUYS DIDN'T HAVE TO PLUG THIS SHIT EVERY WHERE YOU WENT, YOU MIGHT HAVE A CHANCE TO STILL TOUR AND RECORD WITH VAN HALEN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sure, Eddie slaps his name on whatever, but at least it all music related. He dosen't have his own wine or tofu and shit. S

shit, Some kind of alien just came walking in and pulled a string.

Ashe
04.02.06, 12:06 AM
First off, go listen to the live version. That is the bar for this song. Even Van Halen's own studio version pales in comparison to the live version. It will sound like some karaoke knock off with whoever Sammy gets to play it.

Secondly, I've said it a thousand times about Van Halen: Who gives a shit about the lyrics? I don't really care for Dave's or Sammy's. I wish the'd both shut up so I could hear what Eddie is playing. Same goes for Robert Plant in Led Zeppelin.

Judgement Day
04.02.06, 12:06 AM
Who fucking cares . 5150 is the WORST VH ALBUM BY FAR. Thats right I said it. And I'll meet you down at the ol' fishing hole? Fuck... makes "up for breakfast" sound like Stairway.

You know, everyone bags on Eddie saying he's an ego maniac and shit, but you know what? I would be pissed at Sammy too if 75% of the songs he came to me with had stupid ass lyrics like that.

Oh shit, it's 8:05 it's time to rock. I gotta go meet Dick in the Dirt!

You know next to Fair Warning I think 5150 is the best VH album, but hey what the f*ck do I know. All I do know is that sitting around and kickin back a few cold ones to Summer Nights is always a good time even my buddys who don't really care for VH dig the tune. Oh yeah shit man I'm sorry Sammy doesn't quite live up to the Shakspearean lyrics of other rock and rollers.

willy4pres
04.02.06, 12:25 AM
Well fuck shit ass and fuck...I just wanted to fit in with all the other post's in this thread.

Van Squalen
04.02.06, 12:39 AM
Vic can easily pull off Summer Nights.

LLFHS
04.02.06, 12:42 AM
Well fuck shit ass and fuck...I just wanted to fit in with all the other post's in this thread.

Bust out with the "c-word" then. :thumb:

Brett
04.02.06, 01:05 AM
Vic can easily pull off Summer Nights.

He better get a Steinberger then. I can't see him pulling off the solo that Ed did live for it at all.

The live version of "Summer Nights" blows the shit out of the studio version, who cares about the lyrics, they're fine for the song. I never listened to Van Halen for their lyrical content, neither Dave nor Sam are poets. It's just fun music, that became has become un-fun to some over the last 10 years it seems. I always chuckle at people who disect their lyrics as if they're the Beatles.

Van Squalen
04.02.06, 01:07 AM
He better get a Steinberger then. I can't see him pulling off the solo that Ed did live for it at all.

You don't think Vic's a good guitarist? Of course he's not Ed, I'm not saying it'd be Summer Nights as it should be - no VH song is a true rendition without Ed, naturally...but I thought Vic pulled off the VH songs I've seen him do without too much trouble.

Mostly I'd just like to hear that song live again...it's been, what, since the OU812 tour since we last heard that live? If Sam's gotta pull some Van Hagar oldies but goodies out of the bag when doing this Other Half gig, I wish he'd toss in that one instead of Runaround or Poundcake again. And agreed, Summer Nights live was awesome.

Brett
04.02.06, 01:11 AM
Has nothing to do with being good, that song is so Eddie in so many ways, I can't frankly imagine any other guitarist doing it. And playing the intro in standard tuning won't be fun.

I'd love to hear it too, one of my favorite all time VH songs, I don't care what the fuck the lyrics are. Unfortunately I wish it was VH doing it.

Van Squalen
04.02.06, 01:17 AM
True that, but...if they're gonna play some old stuff without Ed, might as well attempt some of the good stuff, and skip the tired old anthems.

Black and Blue. Mine all Mine. Judgement Day. Don't Tell Me. I'd rather have Ed playin' em than Vic, of course, but if they're gonna do a full hour of Van Halen, I hope they pull out some of the potent stuff, or better yet, stuff that hasn't been played in a blue moon. I'm hoping that the fact they whipped out '5150' last year at the cantina is a sign that maybe they're gonna throw out some of that jazz in lieu of the typical hits.

smithjc
04.02.06, 01:31 AM
Well I dunno about anyone else around here but I'm kinda tired of Sammy. I love Mikey, but I think I've got Sammy burnout live.

So to answer the first question in this thread - I won't be goin. :thumb:

Menlow
04.02.06, 07:44 AM
Mostly I'd just like to hear that song live again...it's been, what, since the OU812 tour since we last heard that live? If Sam's gotta pull some Van Hagar oldies but goodies out of the bag when doing this Other Half gig, I wish he'd toss in that one instead of Runaround or Poundcake again. And agreed, Summer Nights live was awesome.

Yup. I don't understand how VH could have overlooked that song on the last four tours or so. It makes me wonder if someone just doesn't like playing it.

Foamfoot
04.02.06, 08:39 AM
Yup. I don't understand how VH could have overlooked that song on the last four tours or so. It makes me wonder if someone just doesn't like playing it.

I'm thinkin' Ed just doesn't play that Steinberger anymore... and lost interest.

VanBlu
04.02.06, 10:08 AM
He had the trans trem put on a wolfgang, it's what he used for Fire In The Hole; I believe it's a white one.

So, Ed could've been playing it. In fact, I actually thought they would be playing it in 98 since he had to make a special wolfgang for FITH.

As for Vic, he probably couldn't play it like Ed, but why would he want to. He's doomed either way. If he plays it like Ed, he sucks and he's a clone. If he tries to do it his way, he sucks and can't play it like Ed. Most people on here aren't gonna cut him some slack. I for one like it when he makes them different. It's not VH, so why play it note for note (whether he can or not).

I'll be going to Indy, definately. I'm even going to go for the stage tix, just in case I can meet Mike and shake his hand; since I figure VH is done and this will be my last opportunity to meet him.

It's Mike
04.02.06, 11:51 AM
Sure, Vic can play it. He's capable of playing any of the VH stuff, but Sam doesn't have him copy the songs exactly.

But that doesn't mean Vic isn't capable of playing the stuff note-for-note if Sam wanted him to.

I've seen Sammy live with Vic, and he butchered all 3 of the Halen songs he played. The options are:
(1) he's trying to play them exactly like Ed and can't.
(2) he's changing them (since he's not a clone) and killing the songs.

Both of these aren't good. Maybe Sammy should have hired a clone.

Eddymon
04.02.06, 12:18 PM
So, are we going to have as many threads about Sammy and Mikey's tour as we do about Dave's doomed radio show?

FUCK EM ALL!

JUST GIVE ME SOME VAN HALEN!

Ain't Talkin' Bout' Love
04.02.06, 01:41 PM

The live version of "Summer Nights" blows the shit out of the studio version, who cares about the lyrics, they're fine for the song. I never listened to Van Halen for their lyrical content, neither Dave nor Sam are poets. It's just fun music, that became has become un-fun to some over the last 10 years it seems. I always chuckle at people who disect their lyrics as if they're the Beatles.

And the Beatles weren't that great with lyrics either. Besides, who decides what's good and what's bad? Some people might say Spinal Tap has good lyrics...although I doubt it.

acs
04.02.06, 02:21 PM
Learn to play guitar, then you will understand that most pro level musicians could do a decent job on that tune, it's not that hard.

Agree! I don't think Ed's written a lot starting with the 5150 album that is too hard to play. It's very cool stuff, but not as much technical wizardry as before (there are a few exceptions).

acs

ravid dee loth
04.02.06, 02:34 PM
Everyone seems to concerned about Vic pulling off Dreams....what about Sammy pulling it off? Everytime I've seen him try to do it live he just CANNOT hit those high notes anymore and ends up butchering it himself...if he does any VH I doubt very highly that Dreams will be included.

Van Squalen
04.02.06, 02:55 PM
Actually, everybody's talking about whether Vic can pull off Summer Nights, not Dreams.

It's quite all right if they don't play Dreams. Heard that enough live, and was never a fan anyway.

TheArchitect
04.02.06, 03:02 PM

I can play that tune. If I can ANYONE can and Vic most certainly can. After seeing the last tour I wonder if Eddie still can....:)

Eddymon
04.02.06, 03:12 PM
I wonder if Sammy ever just called Eddie and asked him if he wanted to take the band out on the road this summer?
Mighty big of him to invite the brothers to join them through the press.:rolleyes:

Does Eddie always have to be the one to make the plans?

Could you picture the phone call?

Sammy
"Hello Edward, this is Sam. Would you and Al like to hit the road this summer for a short tour?"

Eddie
"Uh, Sam I don't think that would be a good idea this year. I am not really feeling up to it ya know."

Sammy
"Okay, I understand. Then me and Mikey are gonna hit the road together. Me and my band will play a set and then Mike will join Vic, and David and myself and we are gonna play a set of Van Halen tunes."

Eddie
"Whose Vic?"

Sammy
"Vic Johnson, my guitar player."

Eddie
"Is he any good?"

Sammy
"He's certainly not you, but he plays pretty decently."

Eddie
"Let me call Al and I'll call you right back."

THATS HOW THINGS COULD HAVE HAPPEND IF THEY HAD ANY COMMUNICATION IN THAT BAND.

Van Squalen
04.02.06, 03:24 PM
So now Sam should be fronting the band.

vh_chick
04.02.06, 03:50 PM
Now Squalen, that post is a bit confrontational! ;)

It'd be nice if Ed and Sammy were on speaking terms, but I just don't think that's the case. That phone call could not happen with the current state of their relationship.

Shari

Eddymon
04.02.06, 03:53 PM
So now Sam should be fronting the band.

Not saying that, but someone should be.
Does this band communicate with each other personally or is it through songs?

Van Squalen
04.02.06, 05:44 PM
I guess I'm just of the crowd that believes it's okay to hope for specifics, and not just getting railroaded ANY version of Van Halen. I'm a bit gun-shy after the last ten years.

BOV1...what, Dave's back? Naw. You're joshin.'

III...what, the dude from Extreme? Naw. You're joshin'.

Another Best of? Sam's back? New album after the tour? Naw. You're joshin'.

Crash. Burn. Fade away. Hibernation. Silencio. More of the same. This band hasn't truly been functional in any real fashion since Balance, and even then, the writing was on the wall that last year.

With all the available and admittedly limited information to date, I'm more pessimistic now than I ever was, even between '99 and '04. However, given the overdue stance Mike has recently taken, I'm gonna have to say I'd rather root for Sam and Ed working it out, 'cause it looks like if Dave and Ed do - a long shot at best, given their wackadoo ego trips of late - Mike ain't gonna tag along...and I have to say, I'd rather see Sam, Mike, Ed, and Al than Dave, Ed, Al, and a new guy on bass.

But that's just me. Any form of Halen is indeed probably better than no Halen, but I don't see the harm in holding Ed to a relatively insightful expectation.

Dave.

Or Sam.

Always Mike.

Pretty goddamned simple equation, Edward. :irked:

Nickdfresh
04.02.06, 07:12 PM

He could pull off the riff, since it's more a rhythm guitar style...

He couldn't pull off that solo "note for note."

riddick
04.02.06, 08:05 PM
You guys make it sound like Van Halen is the hardest music to play, most of it is just 5th chords and pentatonic scales.

In the case of Summer nights, it's not hard to play at all.

I think Vic could pull off any Van Halen song.

Scott.

F'nRockstar
04.03.06, 10:36 PM
I am a guitar player and , no, he could never pull that solo off like Ed did on Live wo a net...

but who cares?? I am living in REALITY...spelled R_E_A_L_I_T_Y and this is one of my fave songs EVER, and this is probably the only (small) chance I'll ever be able to hear it live, unless I can convince my (female) singer in my band to sing it(never). So even if Vic butchers it worse than hamburger, I'll be stoked!

So if I hear that intro, I'm gonna hold my cocktail up high and scream the lyrics and drink beer in the sun and then go home and bang my girlfriend....

Isn't that what it's all about??, shooooooooot.

F'nRockstar
04.03.06, 10:39 PM
Hey all you thread hi-jackers and grumpy fuckers! Go somewhere else... this is my little thread in the sun! There are plenty of dark cloud threads in this forum.... go there!

ps.... I hope Vic butchers Panama, and Amsterdam too! I hope Mikey butchers Somebody Get Me a Doctor!

Ashe
04.03.06, 11:55 PM
Oh I'm sure he will butcher them. When I say Vic won't be able to pull it off, I don't mean he won't be able to play the intro, or the rhythm. I'm talking about all the Eddie-isms that make the song cool and the reason why we like the VH version so much. The lead guitar fills, the stuff he sneaks in between the lyrics, and the freaking solos. I'm serious, go watch Live Without a Net again. Almost the entire song is a damn solo!

I just think Eddie is one of those guitarists that comes along who puts so much of himself into the material that if its played any other way, it no longer is the same material. I mean, his style is so integrated into the songs. For some one else to play it, they would have to be able to play just like Eddie for it to sound like the source material.

F'nRockstar
04.04.06, 12:13 AM
Eddie doesn't play like Eddie anymore and probably never will again.
Watch RHRN and you will see it isn't nearly as good as LWAN. The last tour his playing wasn't even in the ball park of either. Daves guitar player did a better job of Eddie than Eddie did on the last tour.

So if Vic plays it different, I don't care. It's a cool song and I'd love to hear Sam and Mike belt it out! I promise you, Vic is practicing his ass off, Right Now!

smithjc
04.04.06, 12:21 AM
And the Beatles weren't that great with lyrics either. Besides, who decides what's good and what's bad? Some people might say Spinal Tap has good lyrics...although I doubt it.

Well Sex Farm Woman's a pretty darn good song. :thumb:

Brett
04.04.06, 12:33 AM
Eddie doesn't play like Eddie anymore and probably never will again.
Watch RHRN and you will see it isn't nearly as good as LWAN. The last tour his playing wasn't even in the ball park of either. Daves guitar player did a better job of Eddie than Eddie did on the last tour.

His playing on the 3 Tour was better than LWAN.

F'nRockstar
04.04.06, 12:41 AM
I didn't see it. I'll have to get some vid of that tour somehow... any ideas where I can find any...That gives me some hope!!

Ashe
04.04.06, 01:33 AM
"Somebody Get Me a Doctor" on the VH3 Tour:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=u69ICykgnYo&search=van%20halen%20III

Fair Warning Rocks!
04.04.06, 07:52 PM

Trust me, he can't.

servoguy101
04.05.06, 06:13 AM
with enough beers, ( which you should consume @ the concert ) its close enough...

Ain't Talkin' Bout' Love
04.05.06, 06:22 AM
Trust me, he can't.

I don't see why not. Maybe not every solo, but I don't think there's a single song Vic couldn't play.

emm5150
04.05.06, 06:25 AM
I guess I'm just of the crowd that believes it's okay to hope for specifics, and not just getting railroaded ANY version of Van Halen. I'm a bit gun-shy after the last ten years.

BOV1...what, Dave's back? Naw. You're joshin.'

III...what, the dude from Extreme? Naw. You're joshin'.

Another Best of? Sam's back? New album after the tour? Naw. You're joshin'.

Crash. Burn. Fade away. Hibernation. Silencio. More of the same. This band hasn't truly been functional in any real fashion since Balance, and even then, the writing was on the wall that last year.

With all the available and admittedly limited information to date, I'm more pessimistic now than I ever was, even between '99 and '04. However, given the overdue stance Mike has recently taken, I'm gonna have to say I'd rather root for Sam and Ed working it out, 'cause it looks like if Dave and Ed do - a long shot at best, given their wackadoo ego trips of late - Mike ain't gonna tag along...and I have to say, I'd rather see Sam, Mike, Ed, and Al than Dave, Ed, Al, and a new guy on bass.

But that's just me. Any form of Halen is indeed probably better than no Halen, but I don't see the harm in holding Ed to a relatively insightful expectation.

Dave.

Or Sam.

Always Mike.

Pretty goddamned simple equation, Edward. :irked:
Amen brutha...well put!!! I agree totally!!!

Carmine
04.05.06, 08:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by willy4pres

Bust out with the "c-word" then.

Look I've read thru like 40 posts now and still no C- Word. What gives?
Come on is this thing gonna happen or not? Don't let me down. Don't go geting all technical, or nostalgic on me...
Restore my faith in the debauchery that is most Van Halen discussions...Prove to all it can't be done with out
various forms of Slander, Libel and yes....
Apparently now even the Mighty C'word.
I hit this board every day and I usually find something to chuckle at..
So....where is it? Cough it up...you know you wanted to say it at some
point....bust out.....The MIGHTY C' Word!!

Flathead?
Bueller...
Bueller..?

C.

bullitt
04.05.06, 08:41 AM
I never listened to Van Halen for their lyrical content, neither Dave nor Sam are poets. It's just fun music.....

Well said, I agree. :thumb:

jimmy812
04.05.06, 08:55 AM
Look I'm sure that Vic can play "Summer Nights." In Vic's defense he has come a long way from when he first joined with Sammy. I remember on the Marching to Mars tour (I think it was), Vic sucked on the VH songs. Absolutely horrible. He was able to play them but it sounded horrible. But now, he has improved. Even on Sammy's live disc he doesn't sound that bad at all on the VH songs.
With that said, he will no way in hell be able to capture Ed's feel or be able to successfully duplicate his solos. And in no way would he be able to come close talent-wise. I'm sure we could all agree on that.

So, Yes, I would love to hear "Summer Nights" and "Cabo Wabo" this summer. Will I expect to hear them the way that I have in the past (VH)? Abso-friggin'-lutely NOT!! ...but I'll still be singin' along and enjoyin' myself!

Bad to the Bone
04.05.06, 09:19 AM
Vic is a very different guitar player than Ed but that's what Sam was going for when he got Vic. He said he wanted someone with a little more Stevie Ray Vaughn kinda feel. I don't know if Vic can play Summer Nights or not but he can play Cabo Wabo. He played UFB on the last tour in Detroit and I used to have a boot of him playing Amsterdam.....

DannoVH
04.05.06, 04:40 PM
Pretty sad when people are debating whether Vic is good enough to be in a VH cover band...

If Sammy would have picked a top notch band, he would have never looked back.....Bottom line...........Instead he basically has a bar band where people wonder if the guitarist is good enough to play the songs....But he did get the tequila right.........

Bad to the Bone
04.05.06, 06:08 PM
Pretty sad when people are debating whether Vic is good enough to be in a VH cover band...

If Sammy would have picked a top notch band, he would have never looked back.....Bottom line...........Instead he basically has a bar band where people wonder if the guitarist is good enough to play the songs....But he did get the tequila right.........

welllllllll...Dave put together probably the best band he could at the time. Everyone of those guys in the original EEAS band was awsome..Gregg actually went to my high school, ha ha...anyway, what did they last? 2 albums and Sheehan and Vai were gone. Maybe Sam went for chemistry. These guys are not all that bad, they're actually all pretty good. Lauser is fantastic, Jesse Harms was top notch-I know he's gone but still. Mona is good and Vic is Vic. He plays well on the cd's, he's not Ed, he's not Steve Vai but he's pretty good. I don't think anything he's recorded has stuck out. What I mean is I really never have said wow that song was great but the guitar really sucked. Vic plays what fits and he does that very well.

TOM_5150
04.05.06, 07:55 PM

Nope, he can't (neither Sammy).

DannoVH
04.06.06, 09:37 AM
welllllllll...Dave put together probably the best band he could at the time. Everyone of those guys in the original EEAS band was awsome..Gregg actually went to my high school, ha ha...anyway, what did they last? 2 albums and Sheehan and Vai were gone. Maybe Sam went for chemistry. These guys are not all that bad, they're actually all pretty good. Lauser is fantastic, Jesse Harms was top notch-I know he's gone but still. Mona is good and Vic is Vic. He plays well on the cd's, he's not Ed, he's not Steve Vai but he's pretty good. I don't think anything he's recorded has stuck out. What I mean is I really never have said wow that song was great but the guitar really sucked. Vic plays what fits and he does that very well.

Not trying to start a fight...But was the chemistry that Sam went for "Me Boss You Worker." It was probably what he needed at the time

chain
04.06.06, 10:36 AM
You guys make it sound like Van Halen is the hardest music to play, most of it is just 5th chords and pentatonic scales.

In the case of Summer nights, it's not hard to play at all.

Scott.

Any VH song? How about the live version from Sydney of "A Year to the Day?" Could Vic pull that off?

Bad to the Bone
04.06.06, 10:41 AM
Not trying to start a fight...But was the chemistry that Sam went for "Me Boss You Worker." It was probably what he needed at the time

maybe, but that's really not the impression you get after watching Long Road to Cabo..they all seem to get along pretty well with Sam but he's the main man so he calls the shots...they seem like a pretty tight unit on that DVD.

jimmy
04.06.06, 10:52 AM
Vics a decent player. Sure he could play the tune, but I'm assuming not very well.

It's one thing to "fake" a song, it's another to play it with as much feeling as the orginal version.

I'd take the album version of Runaround over Ed's version in '04, but I loved his take on SGMAD

Just listen to Vic on Top of the World, sure he's playing the tune, but all the little nuances that Ed plays are gone.

F'nRockstar
04.06.06, 02:28 PM
I don't know man... the way Ed played in Cleveland on the last tour...I'd rather hear Vic.

elvhfan
04.06.06, 03:49 PM
sammy solo sucks live and so does his band...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Van Squalen
04.06.06, 03:56 PM

Now that was a fookin insightful post as always. And fookin original too. :thumb:

elvhfan
04.06.06, 04:06 PM
Now that was a fookin insightful post as always. And fookin original too. :thumb:
thanks governor

Van Squalen
04.06.06, 04:07 PM
I'm sure your kick ass cover band blows the Wabos offstage. :)

Bad to the Bone
04.06.06, 05:32 PM

when have you seen Sammy Live?