PDA

View Full Version : 2004 Tour DVD

StevieD
02.01.05, 07:50 PM
Do we actually know that there will be a DVD release from the tour? maybe the Camera men were just for the Jumbo-trons? I never Heard of anyone reporting that they mentioned during a show that it was being taped for a release.... Just curious (and hopeful).

kowski
02.01.05, 07:52 PM
Nobody knows yet.

LoveWalkinIn
02.01.05, 08:29 PM
Apparently there is not going to be one.

Metal Marc
02.01.05, 08:34 PM
My buddy DeWayne was a special events bartender at the first two Vegas shows (Mandalay Bay). He befriended the video crew and was asking them for me about live footage. He said one of the guys said the quality of the audio and video were good and, "Now, if only the performances were better..." and offered no details.

By the way D got beer coasters for me signed by the band, minus Eddie.

StevieD
02.01.05, 08:54 PM
Thats cool about the coasters. I went to both Mass shows and got my VH encyclopedia signed by the band minus eddie, Then I went to the Albany show, and then in Montreal I got the book signed by Eddie! (Its also signed by Gary and Dave, so Its complete, Finally!

ericjt
02.02.05, 06:22 AM
In early interviews, Sam & Al made reference to filming a DVD, but never said definite. Considering the Tour has been over for 3 months, I'd say they either never filmed it or weren't happy with the result. Either way, an official DVD does not appear likely at this point.

perticelli
02.02.05, 07:38 AM
my guess is if the band remains together, we may see one, but if they aren't, we won't...

TOM_5150
02.02.05, 11:14 AM
If they don't release it, it sounds like they've wasted a ton of film.

jimmy
02.02.05, 11:44 AM
I am pretty sure that the Camera Operators you saw were there primarily there for Jumbotron.

At the same time, I'm pretty sure somebody was there rolling a deck or harddrive to capture the live "switched" event.

Whether or not that footage was ever intended for public consumption is debateable.

I doubt it. If there was a DVD planned, you'd see "jibs or cranes" on stage with Steadicams and such. You'd see more cameras. More cameras shooting the crowd for cutaways.

The production is geared toward the Jumbotron presentation, but as hardcore fans, a bootleg of such footage could be pretty cool. I guarantee you it exists. I guarantee you one of the folks on the production crew is a fan. I can guarantee you that someday, some of the footage will make it to the net, or ebay or whatever.

I'm still not sure why the band didn't sell DVD's and CD's of every show. I am sure most fans would have loved to have had a copy sent to their homes a few weeks later. An oppourtunity to make some more cash has been missed.

ericjt
02.03.05, 06:29 AM
The footage shot for the jumbotron is different from a professional release footage. First off, the "jumbotron" footage has no audio so whatever is archived is silent video. They record the audio separately and then dub it over the video on a release. Secondly, when you film a release, there are more house lights on so the footage is not so dark and there would be additional cameras set up.

I'm not saying they didn't film one, but from the reviews of the shows, it does not seem like they did. Its not as simple as just taking the jumbotron tapes and releasing it. They may have filmed more of a documentary type DVD that just has clips of some songs or shows, but there has been no indication a full show was filmed for release.

lwk5150
02.03.05, 06:36 AM
I was front row center for the Hamilton show, right next to one of the cameramen. I was talking to him while he was setting up before the show and asked him if they were going to do a DVD. He told me no - they weren't saving the footage, it was all just for the Jumbotron. I also asked Hillary from ILAA if she was aware of any plans to do a DVD - she also said they were not going to.

jimmy
02.03.05, 07:44 AM
First off, the "jumbotron" footage has no audio so whatever is archived is silent video. They record the audio separately and then dub it over the video on a released .

If they were doing it for a DVD, I am thinking they would roll something to capture the show in a Multitrack format allowing them to go back and tweak the mix at a later date.

With that being said, I would make so sense at all, that if they were going to capture the footage on Tape or Hard Drive, that somebody wouldn't run two mic cables from the sound board and input them into their recording device, offering up a stereo mix of the PA. It's just too easy to run some audio into the device, not to do it. All the trouble of setting up the video end, then not run a couple of mic cables to the deck seems to make no sense. If only for reference at a later date.

I've been a part of plenty of proudctions where audio is captured, yet never used in the final product.

TonyButrico
02.03.05, 07:52 AM
[QUOTE=StevieD]Do we actually know that there will be a DVD release from the tour? maybe the Camera men were just for the Jumbo-trons? I never Heard of anyone reporting that they mentioned during a show that it was being taped for a release.... Just curious (and hopeful).[/QUOTE

Does it really matter anyway,there are so many boots of diffrent shows from this tour!!

Peace

JMJ
02.03.05, 11:56 AM
i don't think we'll see one

i don't think the band wants this on dvd to be frank. i mean the shows i saw were great, but something was amiss imo.

i'd love a dvd personally, every song from a different city, from opening night right up to closing night, and of course the solo spot would have to be from LA where we saw him do the intro to HFT and wolf was there.

with these guys who knows, but i doubt it

jimmy
02.03.05, 12:26 PM
I don't think we'll ever see an official release....bootleg hopefully.

chefcraig
02.03.05, 12:41 PM
As stated above, there were no cranes in evidence, nor did anyone see any booms for distant shots, let alone cameras set up for a "far above" the stage shot.

Also be reminded that Sam will be rereleaseng the "Live Halleluliah" album, this time featuring a dvd.

I doubt the brothers would want to compete with their own music, featuring the bass player and 2 former/current singers.

It simply doesn't add up...yet with this outfit over the years, what does? :D

...craig :thumb:

chefcraig
02.03.05, 12:41 PM
As stated above, there were no cranes in evidence, nor did anyone see any booms for distant shots, let alone cameras set up for a "far above" the stage shot.

Also be reminded that Sam will be rereleasing the "Live Halleluliah" album, this time featuring a dvd.

I doubt the brothers would want to compete with their own music, featuring the bass player and 2 former/current singers.

It simply doesn't add up...yet with this outfit over the years, what does? :D

Greenpaw
02.03.05, 12:49 PM
I'd like to see the 1995 Toronto Balance PPV get an official release instead :)

chefcraig
02.03.05, 01:11 PM
I'd like to see the 1995 Toronto Balance PPV get an official release instead :)

Valid point, yet why not just do a "Zeppelin" and release all three eras in one package?

Probably because that would make too much sense, and might require some effort. :brickwall

...craig :D

Greenpaw
02.03.05, 01:29 PM
Valid point, yet why not just do a "Zeppelin" and release all three eras in one package?

Probably because that would make too much sense, and might require some effort. :brickwall

...craig :D

You mean, for instance, One disc of the Oakland show, one disc of the Toronto PPV and one disc Sydney VH3 tour? :sssh:

Nahhh that would be too hard......considering the DAMN FOOTAGE IS ALREADY DONE AND WAITING TO SEE THE LIGHT OF DAY!!!!! :brickwall :brickwall

Why.....why.......WHY???????? :{

chefcraig
02.03.05, 01:39 PM
You mean, for instance, One disc of the Oakland show, one disc of the Toronto PPV and one disc Sydney VH3 tour? :sssh:

:{

Precisely...throw in some rare videos, interviews, backstage footage (some of the US Festival, for starters), scene choice panels and it would be a classy presentation.

Instead we get a rubberstamp copy of "Live W/Out A Net", no bonuses added.

Maybe someday... :rolleyes:

500mgeach
02.03.05, 02:19 PM
lets hope they dont release this vido...it would bring the hole band down..why didnt eddie take a look at it and clean up his playing :irked:

atomicpunk5151
02.03.05, 03:22 PM
Your best bet for a DVD as mentioned in an earlier post is to pick up one of the many DVD boots from the 2004 tour. There are 10+ shows of various quality out there on dvd from the 2004 tour. Go check out vhtrading, they tree one or two up a month or you can just trade with many of the great members there. No point in waiting for VH, you might be waiting a loooong time.

Also as for Oakland 10/13/81, most people say that the film equipment was not working right and only a few songs were filmed. Also 10/11/81 was totally scrapped as Dave mentioned in the Jim Ladd interview. Interesting to note that of the 3 videos filmed on 10/13 (HAIL, SITL, Unch) that 2 were at the begining of the set and Unchained near the end. Maybe there are a few other songs in the vault.......

samhalen
02.03.05, 04:17 PM
I am pretty sure that the Camera Operators you saw were there primarily there for Jumbotron.

At the same time, I'm pretty sure somebody was there rolling a deck or harddrive to capture the live "switched" event.

Whether or not that footage was ever intended for public consumption is debateable.

I doubt it. If there was a DVD planned, you'd see "jibs or cranes" on stage with Steadicams and such. You'd see more cameras. More cameras shooting the crowd for cutaways.

The production is geared toward the Jumbotron presentation, but as hardcore fans, a bootleg of such footage could be pretty cool. I guarantee you it exists. I guarantee you one of the folks on the production crew is a fan. I can guarantee you that someday, some of the footage will make it to the net, or ebay or whatever.

I'm still not sure why the band didn't sell DVD's and CD's of every show. I am sure most fans would have loved to have had a copy sent to their homes a few weeks later. An oppourtunity to make some more cash has been missed.

You hit the nail on the head Jimmy, this is a area begging to be exploited by bands. The bootleggers are already there, why not boot yourself. The technology has advanced so much now that it would be cost effective to do. I know some have done the CD's at after the shows, how about Pearl Jam, they put out a whole tour on CD's. I thought those were awesome. I'm perplexed why this hasn't taken on, unless they are worried about control of the final product.

wohlf91
02.03.05, 04:25 PM
I remember reading an interview with Mike after the Montana show, where he mentioned that they were filming for a possible DVD.

atomicpunk5151
02.03.05, 04:32 PM
That would be very cool if more bands made shows available. Pearl Jams live cds are a great idea. I think Metallica was releasing a bunch of shows for a few $$ via their website also.

Also my bad about my earlier Oakland 81 post, I ment June 13, 1981 not October. Afternoon haze at work....

HugeVHfan
02.03.05, 04:35 PM
Hello, fellow Halenatics! When I was at NAMM this year, I posted my questions and responses with Michael Anthony, and my experience at NAMM 2005, here on the VHLinks forums.
My friend, who was right next to me in line at the Dean-Markeley booth, asked Michael straight up if the boys are going to release a DVD of the 2004 tour, and Mikey did say that there is footage, but no plans to do anything with it . So we have to wait & see. Is this because the band is over with Sammy? Regardless, I have mentioned and referred to the DVD and the future of VH (straight from Mikey & another VERY RELIABLE source, both at NAMM 2005) at my thread at:

http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/showthread.php?t=23559

P.S. IT SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM THE RUMORS SECTION, since I have done A LOT to prove my case, and I even have a fellow Linker that can vouch for me!

jimmy
02.03.05, 08:31 PM
I'm perplexed why this (authorized boots of the shows) hasn't taken on, unless they are worried about control of the final product.

I think Ed's a tad bit of a control freak, if you hadn't figured that out already, and does care about the final product. With that being said, I heard Ed hit some pretty ugly notes this past summer, so maybe he's not too concerned what others think of him and his playing, so that kind of blows theat theory. He's always made it known that there are mistakes on VH albums, but that's OK becuase it was real rock and roll music.....so I'm not really sure why that philosophy couldn't apply to live recordings.

There was a system out there that bands could buy, that would place the whole show onto a small drive that I beleive was just one of those USB 256 or 512 drives that slips into your USB. Your fans pay the fee, stick their stick in, grab their show and move on.....it was like a little Kiosk thingy that the band could buy....anyone ever heard of this or am I just dreaming.

Spool
02.04.05, 12:47 AM
Don't hold your breath, remember this is Van Halen where talking about here.

A 25 plus year career and only 2 live shows released! Shamefull what we could of seen but never will.

ericjt
02.04.05, 06:43 AM
Don't hold your breath, remember this is Van Halen where talking about here.

A 25 plus year career and only 2 live shows released! Shamefull what we could of seen but never will.

Technically, the band has been involved in 4. In addition to LWAN & LRHRN, the band was responsible for the production of the Balance PPV and Japan TV shows. True, they weren't released on video, but both were shown on television and are professional quality.

I'm splitting hairs I know, but just wanted to point it out.

Spool
02.05.05, 12:20 AM
Technically, the band has been involved in 4. In addition to LWAN & LRHRN, the band was responsible for the production of the Balance PPV and Japan TV shows. True, they weren't released on video, but both were shown on television and are professional quality.

Yeah i was going to mentio those, but as you said its splitting hairs so I just went with what we can all go down to the local store and buy off the rack.

extreme red roth
02.05.05, 02:40 AM
P.S. IT SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM THE RUMORS SECTION, since I have done A LOT to prove my case, and I even have a fellow Linker that can vouch for me![/QUOTE]

Dude, no offense...really...but what difference does it make what Forum it is in? It still got a lot of hits...Anything that isn't said by the band collectively as an official statement to the press is a rumor. I mean in 1995, the band was on the Loop, a popular radio station here in Chicago saying they had achieved perfect "BALANCE" as a band, musically, emotionally, etc...We all know that wasn't true...and that was right out of Sam's mouth.

I know you and I have taken this thread off topic, but again, until I hear an official statement from the band about their intentions, I believe nothing...to be honest, even if it was in the form of an official statement, I still wouldn't believe it. So again, don't fret what forum it's been moved to, dude. It was interesting info...you provided..I appreciated...that's that.

extreme red roth
02.05.05, 02:42 AM

Don't forget in 1998, the Live from the 10 spot thingy on MTV.

Casemeister
02.05.05, 10:35 AM

What about the US Festival? Granted, the band didn't "produce" it -- beyond the "party" part, perhaps -- but it was pro-quality, for sure, and they knew they were being filmed.

SactoFan
02.05.05, 12:32 PM
Going to move to Speculation...

Mikedueck
02.09.05, 09:14 AM
I had a look at the St Louis Boot and judging from that, there's no way they would release a DVD or a live recording for that matter of this tour, Ed's playing at that show was poor in deed. You can see that Sammy is realizing how bad eddie is Eddie is playing and they are just holding it together the best they can. The fun meter was in the red but the playing wasn't even on the scale. Ed looked like he was having a great time, and that's cool enough too, cause it seems like when it's live no one cares how well he's playing but the video would be poor to say the least.

smithjc
02.10.05, 06:00 PM
Come on guys, give us diehards something live other than the boots floating around. I think we've all waited long enough and then some. Anything recent would be more than welcome, IMO. Turn loose with the footage already. Thank God I was at that Oakland show!!