PDA

View Full Version : Summer 2004: Rush Vs. Van Halen

ACK
12.29.05, 12:50 PM
In the spring of 2004, it was announced that Van Halen would do their reunion tour with Sammy and that Rush would embark on their 30th Anniversary Tour. Normally, I would have gone to see both bands, as I never missed their shows. However, I was unemployed at the time and funds were tight, so had to choose between the two.

I chose Van Halen. The reason being that it was their first tour with Sammy in nearly a decade and Rush wasn't touring behind a new album. It was just a 30th Anniversary tour in support of an EP of cover tunes, so it was a pretty easy decision.

I just watched the DVD of Rush's 30th anniversary tour and I now regret having chose VH. Why? Rush's performance was dynamic and vibrant - they performed songs spanning their thirty year history, even opening the show with an extended instrumental medley of their early songs.

With Sammy, Eddie, Alex and Mike, I basically got a warmed-over '90s VH performance. Not that it was a bad show, but by comparison, the Rush performance - albeit on DVD - walks all over it. Same Sammy-era tunes - though there were a few new ones - same solos and very little from the DLR years.

I'm not putting this here to flame or denigrate VH - just my opinion about the two shows. I will say that I will not miss Rush on the next tour, no matter what the circumstances.

smithjc
12.29.05, 12:58 PM
Wow whatta tough decision!!

I went to both. :drunk: :thumb:

ACK
12.29.05, 01:00 PM
Wow whatta tough decision!!

I went to both. :drunk: :thumb:

It was. I really wanted to see both. On the other hand, I did get to see Van Hagar one last time...

mike zack
12.29.05, 01:10 PM
I just watched the new Motley Crue DVD last night and I was very impressed as I was seeing them live last year. Would like to see a VH DVD professionally done to compare.

AJHV
12.29.05, 02:05 PM
sorry I went to both. I still pick Van Fucking Valen!

anubis72
12.29.05, 02:52 PM
I, too, am glad that I got to see VH again. However, given the chance, I would have gladly seen Rush as well. I also saw Motley Crue, which was more of a slew of four-letter words strung together to music than a concert. I'd never seen them live before, but have all of their albums--I just wish I would have seen them in their prime. It was entertaining, minus the Nikki Sixx "solo" and that crap Tommy Lee calls a drum solo (When half of your solo is quarter notes alternating with a sequencer bit of yourself saying "let's get rocked" and "let's get f@#%ed"--come on).

I just wish VH would learn a thing or two from Rush and how to treat their fans. If you've seen Rush's last 2 DVD's, Rush in Rio and R30, then you know what I mean. I've not seen the Motely Crue DVD, but I did follow them for awhile via their website and was impressed with the fact that they posted photos from each show. It just seems like someone (besides/in addition to Ed) dropped the ball last year...big time.

C5150
12.29.05, 03:35 PM
I just watched the new Motley Crue DVD last night and I was very impressed as I was seeing them live last year. Would like to see a VH DVD professionally done to compare.

Saw Crue live and Vince gets out of breath to easy, and skips alot of words! The rest of the band played great! It's amazing what a little mixing, and studio work will do!

Filthy 150
12.29.05, 03:58 PM
Would like to see a VH DVD professionally done to compare.

Hell, shitty bootlegs is all we get.

I'm sorry, we get LWAN on DVD 9 years later w/ no updates :thumb:.
At least the solo is as sharp as the rest of the DVD (very unlike my VHS copy).

Greenpaw
12.30.05, 08:29 AM
Sounds like you made the right choice. You got to see VH live (maybe for the last time :( ) and you still got to see a professionally filmed awesome DVD of the Rush tour as well.

I don't even like RUSH, but that R-30 dvd fuckin rocks.

IamNOTed,alex,mike,orDave
12.30.05, 03:33 PM
Glad to know theres a few Rush fans in here!
Yeh I saw both 2, actually saw rush twice, once at jones beach, where it was o.k. cause of the wind.
2nd show though was at Radio City, and it was unreal. Sounded and looked great.

And can you beleive the crowd on the Rush In Rio DVD??
CRAZY!

chefcraig
12.30.05, 04:40 PM
And can you beleive the crowd on the Rush In Rio DVD??
CRAZY!

I'd never seen a crowd "sing" along to an instrumental(parts of "2112") before...simply amazing!

...craig :thumb:

ACK
12.30.05, 05:05 PM
:thumb:
I, too, am glad that I got to see VH again. However, given the chance, I would have gladly seen Rush as well. I also saw Motley Crue, which was more of a slew of four-letter words strung together to music than a concert. I'd never seen them live before, but have all of their albums--I just wish I would have seen them in their prime.

I did - I saw them on both the Girls, Girls, Girls & Dr. Feelgood tours. Had no desire to go see their reunion tour as a result. Great shows. :thumb:

fast98dodge
12.30.05, 09:25 PM
I saw both bands and liked the shows I went to.

It's hard to compare the two. Rush is a band that I assume will be around forever. VH was like holding my breath wondering if they were gonna actually make it out on stage before killing each other. (It didn't help reading posts about every tour date on the old links) They both did what they intended to do very well and the audience I feel left equally satisfied.

I'm guessing it was the last time I'll see VH unless something crazy happens.

I expect to see Rush in a year or two again when they tour.

I guess if you went and had a chance to have a "last chance" to see VH, then great.

You will have another opportunity to see Rush...

That's the difference.

emm5150
12.30.05, 09:47 PM
I saw both bands in '04, Rush being my second favotite band after VH of course....I have to say that Rush blew VH out of the water, hands down!!!

ACK
12.31.05, 12:17 PM
I saw both bands and liked the shows I went to.

It's hard to compare the two. Rush is a band that I assume will be around forever. VH was like holding my breath wondering if they were gonna actually make it out on stage before killing each other. (It didn't help reading posts about every tour date on the old links) They both did what they intended to do very well and the audience I feel left equally satisfied.

I'm guessing it was the last time I'll see VH unless something crazy happens.

I expect to see Rush in a year or two again when they tour.

We treat every Rush tour like it will be the last, because:

After the deaths of Neil Peart's wife and daughter, there was a six year gap between studio albums and tours. Neil got his life together and remarried, but it was up in the air as to whether Rush would continue before that.

I don't think Rush will ever announce a "farewell" tour. I think they'll just do a tour and quietly disband after the fact.

I hope they continue for years to come, but you never know what can happen. Maybe we'll get a VH reunion - again - in some way, shape or form.

But I won't hold my breath waiting for it to happen. As I looked at it in the years 1999-2003, there is no Van Halen. It's easier for me to think of them as a band that doesn't exist. Hopefully, that will change. :thumb:

Interceptor
01.01.06, 08:10 PM
Good thread. Never have seen Rush live, but like some of you have already stated I would have certainly picked VH simply because I had only seen them on the 3 tour, so I'm glad I got the chance to see them with Sam or Dave possibly for the only time. Saw the Crue on this past tour and was actually at the show in Grand Rapids, MI where the Carnival of Sins DVD was filmed!!

I wonder if this thought crossed anybody else's mind?: When listening to Rush's cover of "Summertime Blues", did anyone else think it sounded pretty eerily similar to the Van Halen version played on the South American leg of the Diver Down tour? I've heard a few bootlegs of VH's cover, and yes I know that its the same song and is going to sound similar but the guitar work inparticular just sounded a lot to me like Ed's licks when VH covered the tune. Just my two cents and was wondering if anyone else thought the same thing.

ACK
01.02.06, 11:19 AM
Good thread. Never have seen Rush live, but like some of you have already stated I would have certainly picked VH simply because I had only seen them on the 3 tour, so I'm glad I got the chance to see them with Sam or Dave possibly for the only time. Saw the Crue on this past tour and was actually at the show in Grand Rapids, MI where the Carnival of Sins DVD was filmed!!

I wonder if this thought crossed anybody else's mind?: When listening to Rush's cover of "Summertime Blues", did anyone else think it sounded pretty eerily similar to the Van Halen version played on the South American leg of the Diver Down tour? I've heard a few bootlegs of VH's cover, and yes I know that its the same song and is going to sound similar but the guitar work inparticular just sounded a lot to me like Ed's licks when VH covered the tune. Just my two cents and was wondering if anyone else thought the same thing.

I never knew VH did "Summertime Blues" live...ever. Wow!

Rush was covering stuff they were influenced by...sounds like they were listening to The Who's version from Live At Leeds, which to me is the definitive version. :thumb:

Bob_R
01.02.06, 02:52 PM
Neil got his life together

And that's the KEY to it all. Our friend Mr. Ed is a delusional, dysfunctional, insecure human being.

It's easier for me to think of them as a band that doesn't exist.

They are a band that doesn't exist.

LLFHS
01.02.06, 08:36 PM
I'd have given blood, organs, and a couple of digits to have seen BOTH shows.

However, seeing as how I'm in debt that makes my nipples actually turn purple, I had to make a choice. Halen it was......

Since it now seems we'll see a Rush tour before a Halen one in the near future, I guess I'm wearing a big happy hat. Here's to Neil and the boys in '06! :thumb:

ACK
01.03.06, 11:58 AM
And that's the KEY to it all. Our friend Mr. Ed is a delusional, dysfunctional, insecure human being.

They are a band that doesn't exist.

Exactamundo on both counts!! :thumb: :thumb:

mistere
01.04.06, 01:19 PM
I like Rush, but got bored with them live b/c they are perhaps the most anal
band on the planet. They have the chops, they should loosen up and
improvise more. I mean, do we need another verbatim take on Tom
Sawyer and Spirit of Radio?

Then again, maybe you could say the same for VH.

YankeeRose
01.04.06, 01:48 PM
I went and saw Van Halen live, I didn't see Rush.

Mikey Metalhead
10.16.06, 06:44 PM
rush is class act people, VH is not
VH is very disfunctional, Rush is not

apples and oranges, I love both, but I think VH has lost any hope of appearing to be a class act when it comes to fans. Hell, if crue can get through a tour and still look like they enjoy it, anyone should be able to.

LLFHS
11.08.06, 09:17 PM
I'd have given blood, organs, and a couple of digits to have seen BOTH shows.

However, seeing as how I'm in debt that makes my nipples actually turn purple, I had to make a choice. Halen it was......

Since it now seems we'll see a Rush tour before a Halen one in the near future, I guess I'm wearing a big happy hat. Here's to Neil and the boys in '06! :thumb:

....okay - '07 then! :D

muffdiver
11.24.06, 03:20 AM
Rush is real good.So is Halen.
Very,very different but both really good.....

Seen Rush so many times though,that I'd go see VH....