PDA

View Full Version : What is you best 5 Star memory?

Warmoth
05.27.05, 02:50 PM
Mine would have to be the anticipation. I flew to Hershey, PA. I enjoyed hanging out at Hershey park for a full day before the band rolled into town. I remember just thinking about seeing VH on the 2nd show of the tour and how awesome it was going to be. I was nervous too. Hell, I was scared that they wouldn't show up ... or would have forgotten the tunes ... or just some crazy sh*$. The anticipation the day of the show was great too. I remember hanging outside the arena with other 5 star people. Everyone just talking and having a great time. And then when we walked in to the outdoor arena, I remember seeing Alex's drum kit and Eddie's amps just standing there. It still gives me goose bumps. I didn't recognize Eddie when he 1st walked out. (He was on his cell phone).

Of course the whole 5 star deal was awesome, but that is my fondest memory. Other than of course being so close to the band at soundcheck and requesting songs!!!

Wolfgang Slinger
05.27.05, 03:12 PM
Cool story, man. :)

I can't really pick on paticular memory, really. It was all great. From the time I signed-in at the desk thinking about what I was in for and throwing on my pass to the backstage tour after soundcheck when everybody else was just getting into the building. Here are some of the fondest, though...

- Hearing Poundcake and It's About Time Instrumental blasting in my ears

- I'm The One, Runnin' With The Devil and Jump

- The amount of Eddie's picks Hillary gave us after soundcheck

- Realizing I was first row infront of Eddie when I got my bag with the tickets in it

- Being able to exchange words with Eddie

- Mike giving my buddy shit for not being there on my cell phone. :D

abe5150
05.27.05, 04:55 PM
The entire 5-star experience was incredible -- almost an "out of body/religious" experience for me. Everything went perfectly for us at the 5-star in Dallas:

1. Getting our tickets in the envelope. Reading Row A on the tickets and sitting there for a few seconds dumbfounded like "Row A, as in Front Row??".

2. Then finding out our tickets were Section 11 as the sections went 10-11-12 from left to right. Front row, Dead Center.

3. During the happy hour and prize giveaway, we won the best prize of the night -- a drum head played by Alex at a previous show.

4. During the show, getting Sammy, Mike, and Alex to sign the drum head. Ed did not actually sign it, but he "fake signed" with his hand.

5. Getting high fives from everyone, including Ed.

6. Meeting some truly great fans and new friends at the 5-star.

7. If I had to pick one moment to top everything it would have to be this. I had noticed several people throwing stuff on stage, and the guys behind me were egging me on to throw my Eddie "work shirt" on stage. I had just bought the shirt, and was afraid that Sammy would simply toss it back into the mass crowd.

I decided to go for it and threw it to Sammy when he was right in front of me. He wore the shirt for the rest of the song, and then sat down and proceeded to SIGN the shirt tail. He then HANDED the signed shirt back to me. On top of that, I got pictures with my disposable of all this.

Seriously, it was one of the best nights of my life. Everything worked out perfectly. I would have gladly paid 3-4 times what I paid. The $395 I paid for tickets was the best bargain and value ever...even better than seeing VH for $25 in 1988.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

MF5150
05.28.05, 09:12 PM
Eddie Van Halen asking me, "What's with the Fucking hat?" Then giving it to him so he could wear my 5150 Cowboy hat at Soundcheck. Best experience of my life. I was floating on the clouds for the rest of the night after that!

againstthewind
06.05.05, 03:42 PM
The entire 5-star experience was incredible -- almost an "out of body/religious" experience for me. Everything went perfectly for us at the 5-star in Dallas:

1. Getting our tickets in the envelope. Reading Row A on the tickets and sitting there for a few seconds dumbfounded like "Row A, as in Front Row??".

2. Then finding out our tickets were Section 11 as the sections went 10-11-12 from left to right. Front row, Dead Center.

3. During the happy hour and prize giveaway, we won the best prize of the night -- a drum head played by Alex at a previous show.

4. During the show, getting Sammy, Mike, and Alex to sign the drum head. Ed did not actually sign it, but he "fake signed" with his hand.

5. Getting high fives from everyone, including Ed.

6. Meeting some truly great fans and new friends at the 5-star.

7. If I had to pick one moment to top everything it would have to be this. I had noticed several people throwing stuff on stage, and the guys behind me were egging me on to throw my Eddie "work shirt" on stage. I had just bought the shirt, and was afraid that Sammy would simply toss it back into the mass crowd.

I decided to go for it and threw it to Sammy when he was right in front of me. He wore the shirt for the rest of the song, and then sat down and proceeded to SIGN the shirt tail. He then HANDED the signed shirt back to me. On top of that, I got pictures with my disposable of all this.

Seriously, it was one of the best nights of my life. Everything worked out perfectly. I would have gladly paid 3-4 times what I paid. The $395 I paid for tickets was the best bargain and value ever...even better than seeing VH for $25 in 1988.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Dude, that is great stuff!!! I went to two five stars..one in Grand Rapids Mi and the other in Det. There were a few things that stand out, one ...the people there, great folks...I went by myself, couldn't afford to spend the money for my wife to go and she aint into it like I am, whatever, the folks I met at both shows were great!! Thumbs up to all of you, especially a pair of brothers from Chi who were there at the GR show and made me feel like I was a bud from the beginning, but we had VH in common. I just remember standing in row 4,at soundcheck and saying to someone...oh my god..Eddie Van Halen is standing right there!! I mean I couldn't believe it, if I hadn't had a major buzz I would have probably freaked and acted like an ass.........c'mom, I mean EVH was right there! I got to shake his hand at the second 5* and damn what a wonderful night , row 2 right in front of THE MAN!! I just thank god I got to do this once in my life....it really was a dream come true. But most of all I just loved talking to the Vh fans out there like myself, it was like, hey...I'm amongst my people, and to the two bros in CHI....if you read this, rock on mofos. :cool:

janthraxx
06.05.05, 04:53 PM
Here are some of my great 5-star memories:

-Leaving work early to make the 100 or so mile drive down to San Diego, blasting BOBW as I cruised down the 5 freeway with the windows down :cool:

-Having my name called first when they began handing out tickets, and finding out that I was the very first seat--Row 1, Seat A :bounce:

-Eating about a dozen chicken strips and pounding free beer with some cool dudes I met there.

-Standing 10 feet from my guitar hero as he ripped the solo to I'm the One at soundcheck.

-Having Mikey smile and nod to me as I sang along to On Fire.

-Having Sammy sign the shirt I threw onstage, 40 minutes later!

-Scoring a VH hat that Sammy wore onstage!

-The drive home--blasting Balance, and then a bunch of guys in a truck sped past me honking and holding up the VH fingers.

-All in all, the WHOLE NIGHT was just an incredible experience :)

janthraxx
06.05.05, 04:54 PM
Cool story, man. :)

- Being able to exchange words with Eddie

- Mike giving my buddy shit for not being there on my cell phone. :D

I wanna hear more about these!

Wolfgang Slinger
06.06.05, 02:37 AM
I wanna hear more about these!

Well, at soundcheck, Ed and the guys took a few pauses between songs. At one point, nobody was saying a word. My buddy took the opportunity to tell Ed that him coming back meant the world to him and thanked him for coming back and bring the music to us. Ed just replied with "Thanks for coming back. If it wasn't for you guys, it wouldn't be shit."

Later on, during the show as the matter of fact, just at the end of Unchained, Eddie walked right up to me in the first row, dodged a pile of hands about three or four times except for mine, gave a big, tight handsake/high-five, grinned and winked and I just told him thank you for being the inspiration behind my musical drive and he replied with "thank you for letting me". When he let go of my hand, I didn't think anything of it and drew back my hand with one of his PICKS falling to the ground. :brickwall Thankfully for me, security was really nice and picked up for me.

Not much on the exchange of words, but moments were priceless to me.

As for Mikey and my cell phone... He was signing autographs and made his way over to us. For the entire soundcheck, I had called my buddy who was back in Ottawa and couldn't make it just so he could listen in on the soundcheck. He was the phone until the end and I had asked Mike to give some words to him on my phone and just say Hi. He grabbed my phone and said "Vergil, where the fuck are you?! Why aren't you here?!" My buddy must have replied with something to do to with his University exams and Mikey just said "Yeah, well, at least you'll be a lot smarter than THIS guy is after tonight. I think he's loaded already!" Everybody there got a good chuckle out of it.

axebrian
06.06.05, 07:31 AM
Here are a few of mine from the 2nd STL 5 star and concert.

1) As my wife and I were partying (beer,cabo shots, munchies and great VH stories) with some nice folks we met in our 5 star group, we could hear Al's drums and Ed's guitar. Hilliary said "It's time for soundcheck". We came out on the upper level and there stood my hero, Eddie "freakin" Van Halen just noodling. We couldn' get to the stage fast enough. It seemed like forever walking down there. My wife and I got Mikey's sig and I got a pick from Wolfie.

2) We're front and center at the concert. I had a sign that read "we drove 750 miles to see Van Halen rock St. Louis". Sammy smiled and pointed at me and my sign on the first song(YRGM). Then later,,...Just before Sammy's solo, the camera dude looked at me and said "hold your sign up". I did and they put my sign on the big mine screen. Sammy looked at it and said to the crowd "This guy drove 750 MILES to see van Halen in St. Louis" The crowd roared! Then Sammy said to me "Did you get any speeding tickets,my brother."

3) After Sammy's solo he signed my sign, my VH hat and my wife's 5 star laminate.

janthraxx
06.06.05, 12:33 PM
Well, at soundcheck, Ed and the guys took a few pauses between songs. At one point, nobody was saying a word. My buddy took the opportunity to tell Ed that him coming back meant the world to him and thanked him for coming back and bring the music to us. Ed just replied with "Thanks for coming back. If it wasn't for you guys, it wouldn't be shit."

Later on, during the show as the matter of fact, just at the end of Unchained, Eddie walked right up to me in the first row, dodged a pile of hands about three or four times except for mine, gave a big, tight handsake/high-five, grinned and winked and I just told him thank you for being the inspiration behind my musical drive and he replied with "thank you for letting me". When he let go of my hand, I didn't think anything of it and drew back my hand with one of his PICKS falling to the ground. :brickwall Thankfully for me, security was really nice and picked up for me.

Not much on the exchange of words, but moments were priceless to me.

As for Mikey and my cell phone... He was signing autographs and made his way over to us. For the entire soundcheck, I had called my buddy who was back in Ottawa and couldn't make it just so he could listen in on the soundcheck. He was the phone until the end and I had asked Mike to give some words to him on my phone and just say Hi. He grabbed my phone and said "Vergil, where the fuck are you?! Why aren't you here?!" My buddy must have replied with something to do to with his University exams and Mikey just said "Yeah, well, at least you'll be a lot smarter than THIS guy is after tonight. I think he's loaded already!" Everybody there got a good chuckle out of it.

That's awesome. That Eddie moment must've been phenomenal!!

Wolfgang Slinger
06.06.05, 09:42 PM
That's awesome. That Eddie moment must've been phenomenal!!

Yeah, it may seem a litte "star-struck" pathetic when you read about it, but it meant the world to me. :)

janthraxx
06.06.05, 10:31 PM
Yeah, it may seem a litte "star-struck" pathetic when you read about it, but it meant the world to me. :)

Not at all personally, I can totally understand :)

OLO
06.06.05, 10:49 PM
I enjoyed the roadie explaining the wires and Mic stands under my deck.

janthraxx
06.06.05, 11:13 PM

:(

OLO
06.07.05, 12:39 AM
:(

So sorry you feel that way.

stilleddiesangel
06.07.05, 02:36 AM
After reading this I'd just like to say.. I hate you all you lucky lucky people :yell:

LoveWalkinIn
06.07.05, 11:48 AM
My favorite memory was during soundcheck when I screamed out Light Up the Sky when Eddie asked for requests. Then he and Mikey busted out laughing. Mike laughed so hard he spit out his water and was pointing and laughing at me. I still don't understand what was so funny, but it was pretty cool. Also, I was sitting front row-dead center, and the show was absolutely killer. It was so cool to be right up there with the band and being able to touch the stage. :thumb:

Wolfgang Slinger
06.07.05, 03:18 PM

Do you mean you were in the rings and this roadie was telling how everything was set-up under the stage?

fast98dodge
06.07.05, 11:48 PM

That's funny, I would've thought it was hanging out eating hot pockets with the guys where Sammy's solo usually goes... :thumb:

TheresOnlyOneWay
06.07.05, 11:57 PM
My favorite memory was during soundcheck when I screamed out Light Up the Sky when Eddie asked for requests. Then he and Mikey busted out laughing. Mike laughed so hard he spit out his water and was pointing and laughing at me. I still don't understand what was so funny, but it was pretty cool.

It was probably a joke between themselves brought up earlier in the tour. Because they never rehearsed it and neither knew remembered how to play it, but they KNEW someone would ask. Great stuff.

Wolfgang Slinger
06.08.05, 01:30 AM
Do you mean you were in the rings and this roadie was telling how everything was set-up under the stage?

I just realized that was the brightest question I've asked all year.

I just read your review about the show they put on in your backyard.

Sorry, OLO! :D

timmac
06.08.05, 03:59 PM
Some of my personal favorite moments:

Meeting my next door neighbors for the first time at soundcheck - they live right across the street but I had never met them before. Needless to say, they are the coolest neighbors ever!

Sammy at soundcheck in Phoenix, signing anything you could give him - including my BOBW disc, 5* laminate, and 5150 album.

Alex signing my old 1980's tour laminate from Fair Warning - which I then lost during the backstage tour - which was then returned to me by the security staff, who promptly told me not to lose it again

Walking down to soundcheck and yelling "Hey Mikey!" from the top row, and having him stop what he was doing, point, and wave.

Introducing my wife to the joy and glory that was the VH 5* experience

Meeting some of the coolest people ever during 5* in Albuquerque, standing right on the rail the whole show, and doing shots of Jack with Mike (and everyone else around us)

Having Sammy wear my customized, Neuroop designed Van Halen jersey during "It's About Time" and having him sign it. http://images8.fotki.com/v116/fileiaaR/ea2ff/3/342884/1385405/DSC00084.jpg

Seeing Hillary at 3 a.m. the next morning in the lobby of the hotel, wearing Eddie's cowboy hat... and still working!

spw5150
07.06.05, 02:18 AM
In Indianapolis during soundcheck I got Ed's attention and handed him a seashell I found on the beach ( shaped perfectly like a guitar pick). He was really surprised to have someone give him something instead of asking something of him. He handed me the pick he was using and played the rest of soundcheck with my gift. I used his pick occasionally when I played however it is a lot thinner than I like so I have retired it . I also won the drum head from soundcheck in Cincinnati and Sammy signed it during the show ( I could not get Alex to sign it though) .

rrussou812
07.06.05, 10:21 PM
Had 5 star for Lubbock...awesome memories are..

Front row for soundcheck and the show!! Well besides the obvious ones..

1) Getting to be right in front of Ed during soundcheck, he's got his groove going playing Poundcake for us and points the head of his guitar right me, motioning his head with the groove and looking right at me...couldn't help but bust out the teenage girl giggle at that point :D

2) Looking behind me during soundcheck and noticing I was standing right in front of my seat for the show.

3) Giving Sammy my Balance album and he proceeds to sign when the damn sharpie runs out of ink, he tries again and again, looks at me and shrugs like sorry man I tried. Well later on after the next song, he came back to sign and looked down at me and said "gimme your album". Well needless to say he signed it again, this time with a better pen and gave it back to me smiling big, even though the album looks like someone wrote over and over on it, it's priceless to me, something i'll never forget or get rid of.

janthraxx
07.08.05, 04:40 AM
I also liked when during soundcheck after I'm the One it got really quiet and everyone was all giddy and I yelled "VAN HALEN FUCKING ROCKS!!" and Alex's head shot up to look at me and smiled and everyone around me laughed. :D

Thai Boxer 9901
07.09.05, 10:48 PM
Dam you guys, I really wish I had a 5* story to tell but unfortunatley, us mortals have to sit in the regular seats which were still FUCKING AWESOME! I think at the boise show, 1 guy got thrown out of the ring cuz he was waaaaaassssttttteddddd. As security was throwin him out, he was throwin punches all around and dam near hit me but he didnt and I had one hell of a good time at the boise show. I just wish they would come out with a bootleg of it so that I can relive it over and over again