PDA

View Full Version : Should they rebuild the World Trade Centre?

billy007
09.12.01, 09:12 AM
I don't know if it's too early to be even thinking about this, but yesterday, when I was watching, before they came down, I was thinking that whatever happened, they should tear down the World Trade Centre and build a memorial park there for all the people that have lost their lives on that spot. In the background today, I thought I heard someone talking about them being rebuilt in the future - maybe not the same, but that they would be rebuilt - might be wrong as I was only hearing it in the background while I was working. I know New York City can probably not afford to give up that much office space, but I seriously hope that they will consider not rebuilding on that spot, instead setting up a memorial garden or monument or something to remember those on the planes and in the buildings whose lives ended in those terrifying hours yesterday. This is the only national forum I have to express my wishes, and although right now they are only the wishes of one, I hope they become the wishes of many.

Eddymon
09.12.01, 09:24 AM
I agree,

Pearl Harbor was rebuilt in some ways, but the Arizona was left alone and set up as a memorial.

Maybe they should just rebuild 1 tower and leave the rest as a memorial.

NE169
09.12.01, 09:30 AM
Right on, Eddymon.

I'd say build one tower to show the world that we won't be broken, but also leave space for a memorial.

Wolfman
09.12.01, 10:27 AM
I was thinking about this myself last night. I would be in favor of consecrating the remains as a memorial. But, just like billy said, I don't know if tyhe city could afford to relocate those offices from their location of operation.

Very cool idea, though - a memorial of some sort or another is a must, preferably adorned with the names of those lost once they are known.

Brett
09.12.01, 11:23 AM
Absolutely they should be rebuilt, they are a symbol of our financial power. We should not let these despicable people take that from us. A memorial with it would be nice as well.

But yes, get the WTC back up!

lawchick
09.12.01, 11:29 AM
The Manhattan property on which the towers stood is surely some of the most expensive real estate in the nation. Who owns it? Would they consider foregoing the price and donate it as a memorial? Intersting to see what happens, but who can really think about it now? It will take months to simply dig through what's left.

tap1966
09.12.01, 11:37 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lawchick:
but who can really think about it now? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No one in New York. I understand the sentiments but right now there are still thousands of bodies down there and hopefully survivors of course. It's barely possible to even get anywhere near the site.

AxeSlinger84
09.12.01, 11:39 AM
I figure it will be eventually be rebuilt. I'd assume some type of memorial would be in order possibly in another section of the city (i.e. Queens) or maybe in the financial district in Manhattan but as far as replacing the WTC goes, something will be done. As they say, "the show must go on" and just because someone doesn't want it there doesn't mean it'll be down forever. My uncle is down at the site now being that the reserves were called in at 1AM last night and hopefully he's doing everything he can to ensure safety.

[ September 12, 2001 at 11:44 AM: Message edited by: AxeSlinger84 ]

Brett
09.12.01, 12:09 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lawchick:
The Manhattan property on which the towers stood is surely some of the most expensive real estate in the nation. Who owns it? Would they consider foregoing the price and donate it as a memorial? Intersting to see what happens, but who can really think about it now? It will take months to simply dig through what's left.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe the Port Authority owns the property, I could be wrong though.

laner
09.12.01, 12:50 PM
i think it needs to be rebuilt, because it's so vital with business.
i don't know how it will be rebuilt, but i definitely think a memorial of some kind is important.

diamondsgirl
09.12.01, 01:01 PM
I agree with Brett that both buildings need to be reconstructed, eventually. It would be nice to dedicate the buildings to those who lost their lives. I'd like to see their names on the new buildings.

BrokenCombs
09.12.01, 01:36 PM
I think and hope that both buildings are re-built and a memorial park constructed somewhere in the plaza area. I've been to the World Trade Center a few times in my life. There is plenty of room to be able to rebuild the 2 towers AND create a memorial park somewhere nearby....

We must re-build them! I hope we do.

ScottRoberts
09.12.01, 01:41 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BrokenCombs:
I think and hope that both buildings are re-built and a memorial park constructed somewhere in the plaza area. I've been to the World Trade Center a few times in my life. There is plenty of room to be able to rebuild the 2 towers AND create a memorial park somewhere nearby....

We must re-build them! I hope we do.

Agreed.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

homeunit
09.12.01, 02:39 PM
I totally think they need to be rebuilt, and twice a big, extrvagent etc.

I think it'll show the cowards that did this, and all other potential crazy fuckers that they can't crush any aspect of united freedom. If they tear it down, it'll be rebuilt 10x better then before.

ANGEL4U
09.12.01, 04:09 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by homeunit:
I think it'll show the cowards that did this, and all other potential crazy fuckers that they can't crush any aspect of united freedom. If they tear it down, it'll be rebuilt 10x better then before.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

yep
smilies/smile.gif

diggyd
09.12.01, 05:06 PM
Yes, the towers must be rebuilt. Plus, a grand memorial must be built along with them. It's time for America to have a heavy heart but it's also time to kick some serious ass! Germany, England, France, and probably the rest of Europe will support us. I don't think Russia and China will turn away either. We must protect our own and be more aggressive with airport security measures but we must also make a statement for ourselves and all the innocent, beautiful people that died. I also say it's time to turn Israel loose on all those fuckers that surround them. It's time to obliterate every terrorist alive!

Lou
09.12.01, 05:32 PM
Absolutely the Twin Towers should be rebuilt on the original site. Not so much for the financial necessity but rather to make a statement--we may be down now, but we are NOT out and we will come back. A memorial adjacent to the plaza would be appropriate. There already is one there right now--the American flag which they put up in front of the rubble.

Down In Flames
09.12.01, 09:00 PM
I think that there will definitely be a memorial, as well there should be. And the rebuilding of the Towers would be a huge morale boost to the nation.

The rebuilding will be symbolic, but imagine the finished product. smilies/smile.gif

I'm moving this to the Wolrd Trade Center/Pentagon Attacks Forum. Look for it right above Music-Only.

seenbad
09.12.01, 09:52 PM
I say leave the site of one as a memorial, build the other a hundred and fifty stories just as a show of pride, spirit and determination.

MikeL
09.12.01, 10:22 PM
I agree with what DIF said about this. There'd be a tremendous amount of symbolism in rebuilding both.

I've not been to NYC, so I don't really have a feel for the space involved. Might there be room for a monument in what was the courtyard of the center?

LA
09.13.01, 05:11 AM
My brother works near the WTC...next door to it. He saw the people falling to their deaths. He was among those who stood on the streets and watched the buildings collapse. He knew many of the people who died.

Mark is livid that this happened. He firmly believes, as do his collegues, that the WTC should be rebuilt with the exact same visage as before, in the exact same spot. His comment was basically that the bastards struck to make a statment against our capitolistic society...and yet the people who worked in those buildings, and the rescuer workers who died while trying to save them, were largely middle class people who trudged to work everyday just to make ends meet. The terrorists killed thousands of innocent middle class, hardworking people. Hardly anything to do with a statement on economic prosperity. The buildings should be rebuilt. To fail to rebuild would leave that gaping hole in the skyline of NYC and would then serve as a monument to the acts of terrorism inacted on that spot. To rebuild, just as tall (or even taller), with the same look...shows them that they can strike, and hurt, but they cannot conquer our spirit or destroy our pride. To fail to rebuild would be succumbing to the will of the terrorists.

I initially wanted a memorial there. But after listening to his passioniate explanation, I have to agree with him. We cannot leave the gaping wound in the skyline of NYC. I agree that it should be rebuilt...and let the "taller" part serve as museum/monument to those who died. Let the new building serve as a monumet to our pride and our unity, and our ability to withstand even this.

Eddie's Monster
09.13.01, 06:42 AM
I'm posting here for the first time since the attacks on tuesday morning, and I have to be honest with all of you here that the tragedy of the attacks had hit me hard.
I'm still in a state of disbelief and anger, with all the family members and friends that I personally have that live in NYC and a city that I have a couple of years ago called my home(lived in uptown manhattan 2 years). Seeing the skyline of New York this morning and seeing it change forever by those cowardly acts of inhumanity. All that I have to say that I hope that in the near future they rebuild at least one of the towers and a memorial site near the plaza, just to show the world that we and I mean the poeple of the world that these acts did not destroy our spirits, and we must keep moving forward.

lilred
09.13.01, 08:40 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Mark is livid that this happened. He firmly believes, as do his collegues, that the WTC should be rebuilt with the exact same visage as before, in the exact same spot. His comment was basically that the bastards struck to make a statment against our capitolistic society...and yet the people who worked in those buildings, and the rescuer workers who died while trying to save them, were largely middle class people who trudged to work everyday just to make ends meet. The terrorists killed thousands of innocent middle class, hardworking people. Hardly anything to do with a statement on economic prosperity. The buildings should be rebuilt. To fail to rebuild would leave that gaping hole in the skyline of NYC and would then serve as a monument to the acts of terrorism inacted on that spot. To rebuild, just as tall (or even taller), with the same look...shows them that they can strike, and hurt, but they cannot conquer our spirit or destroy our pride. To fail to rebuild would be succumbing to the will of the terrorists.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Damn straight! We should build a giant middle finger there in the shape of a building with a big bullseye on it if we want! We are the United States of America and we will not give up one iota of our freedom because people Hate us for being the best in the world. What do we expect from people that live in CAVES and eat GOAT meat everyday. smilies/mad.gif smilies/mad.gif
They cant hide forever, get ready for the big boom! Bin Ladin!!!

Long John Silver
09.14.01, 02:39 AM
http://teamknightrider.com/rebuild.jpg

Dave G 5150
09.14.01, 07:19 AM
I see no reason why the buidings could not be rebuilt bigger, better than they ever were. Also, part of the building could be made into a memorial. With our technology and determination I can think of no reason why it won't be back.

...Dave

tap1966
09.15.01, 06:27 AM
http://cnnfn.cnn.com/2001/09/14/news/silverstein/

NEW YORK (CNNfn) - The developer who led the group that purchased the World Trade Center's 99-year lease in July 1999 for $3.2 billion from the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, said he is committed to help rebuilding the center, according to a published report Friday.

New York-based Larry Silverstein told the Wall Street Journal, "It would be the tragedy of tragedies not to rebuild this part of New York." Silverstein said any rebuilding plans will wait until the grieving process is over. He also said four of his employees remain missing.

Although Silverstein said he is ready to rebuild, he did say he is not committed to creating exact replicas of the towers, acknowledging tenants may be reluctant to relocate in such prominent buildings, according to the paper.

Once all of the missing are accounted for, Silverstein told the newspaper, he will concentrate on the insurance, lease and legal issues resulting from the attack. "It's going to take huge amounts of time to deal with the magnitude of the paper issues," he said, adding that the 99-year lease is insured against terrorism.

"The city is not dead and can't be allowed to die," Silverstein told the Journal. "We owe [rebuilding] to our children and to our grandchildren." 

LA
09.15.01, 06:46 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jonathan:
http://cnnfn.cnn.com/2001/09/14/news/silverstein/

NEW YORK (CNNfn) - "It's going to take huge amounts of time to deal with the magnitude of the paper issues," he said, adding that the 99-year lease is insured against terrorism.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That answers one of my questions in another thread! That's excellent news!! Something to smile about. smilies/smile.gif

LA
09.15.01, 06:47 AM
Thanks Jonathon! Mwah!!

AbeVanHalen
09.15.01, 12:46 PM
Not sure which thread to put this in, so I chose this one instead of starting a new one.

Unbeknownst to me until today, a friend of mine was not only in NYC this past weekend, he and a friend of his were at the top of the WTC and had a pic taken with the city below in the background.

Shortly after they left the building, they left the city to go home. I just got an email from him tonight, with a copy of the pic. Shocked the hell outta me-I didn't even know he was going to NY, and I find out today. I'm all shaken up all over again.

All I can do is breathe a BIG sigh of relief.