09.19.01, 08:03 AM
Special Weather Bulletin

Forecast for; Kabul, Karachi, Baghdad, and Damascus for the next five week
period:

Very brief periods of extremely bright light, followed by variable winds
greater than 2000 knots and temperatures in the mid to upper 6000-8000
degree
range, expect some heavy precipitation in the form of metallic objects and
concrete shrapnel from surrounding buildings.

International Weather Service Recommends:

SPF 12000 sun block, if standing near an outside reinforced
structural wall of more than three meters thick.

Otherwise, remain in well protected caves until rescued by UN Forces
in approximately 35 years...

esquiretoo
09.19.01, 07:54 PM
hee hee hee. smilies/smile.gif smilies/smile.gif

LA
09.20.01, 06:09 AM
Well done!

Operation Infinite Justice is on the move...

tap1966
09.20.01, 06:16 AM
You think the US is planning to bomb Karachi?

LA
09.20.01, 06:24 AM
I don't know what we're gonna do, but last night I met up with a guy who was dressed and ready to ship out. He was getting his last look at his daughter before he left. smilies/cry.gif

I would prefer that we avoid a ground conflict... that's gonna be tough to win. Ask the Russians.

NE169
09.20.01, 06:58 AM
I doubt we can avoid a ground conflict, though, in order to get him. Even in Desert Storm, Iraq didn't surrender until the ground forces start moving in, so aerial bombardment alone won't be enough. No one's ever won a war fought exclusively from the air.

I doubt Bush would allow the same thing to happen to our guys, like it did the Soviets.

tap1966
09.20.01, 07:07 AM
Here's an article on the reality of a ground war by an ex-SAS member who helped train the Afghans in thewar against the USSR
http://www.guardian.co.uk/wtccrash/story/0,1300,554371,00.html

There won't be a ground war if the US bombs Karachi (Pakistan) - not in Afghanistan anyway.

ScottRoberts
09.20.01, 07:08 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NE169:
I doubt we can avoid a ground conflict, though, in order to get him. Even in Desert Storm, Iraq didn't surrender until the ground forces start moving in, so aerial bombardment alone won't be enough. No one's ever won a war fought exclusively from the air.

I doubt Bush would allow the same thing to happen to our guys, like it did the Soviets.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It'll be far tougher than Desert Storm, but different than the Soviet/Afghani war; remember, he helped train and back some of the Afghani troops back then. It doesn't look like a major world power will back them this time...

MikeL
09.20.01, 08:39 AM
The problem is they don't need a major world power. The country isn't suited to heavy weapons, so they won't exactly be using tanks. The most effective weapons we supplied them with in the 80s were man-portable missles to take down helicopters with.

Is anyone else somewhat bothered by our lack of clear-cut goals here?

tap1966
09.20.01, 09:17 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MikeL:

Is anyone else somewhat bothered by our lack of clear-cut goals here?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's hard to say what the goals really are - the public statements are broad, sweeping and basically content-free designed for morale building.

Who knows what's going on in private. I suspect Colin Powell is fighting (and winning) the point of view that overt military action in Afghanistan is pointless and counter-productive. Hopefully, no one is planning to go to war with Iraq anytime soon to settle old scores too.

The longer nothing happens, the more confident I get that some thought is really going into planning some kind of long-term real action rather than short term vengeance. No idea what that might mean - but it seems like the FBI, CIA and foreign intelligence services "know" a lot more than they seemed to last Tuesday. Hopefully a more pro-active (I hate that word) policy will come out of this rather than one of surveillance which seems to have been in force.

Do you think we'll find out anything concrete from Bush's speech tonight?

ScottRoberts
09.20.01, 12:17 PM
http://www.fuckedcompany.com/images/Kabul-Forcast.jpg