Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: IS EDDIE READY?

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Song

Poundcake
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Check this one out. I received this e-mail from a friend in who lives in Florida.

IS EDDIE READY?
    By: Ryan Corbin
    Variety Times
    8/19/02

More recently than ever, there is the speculation and rumors flying around that Sammy Hagar will be re-joining his old Van Halen cohorts for another round in the musical battlefield to take back their title as America’s bad ass rock and roll band. It seems that nearly six years after Sammy Hagar and Van Halen parted ways, either Sammy Hagar or Edward Van Halen was able to get past the animosity and make up.

So where does this leave the flamboyant rock star David Lee Roth? Well, it seems that David Lee Roth ain’t talkin’ ‘bout love when it comes to the Van Halen brothers. A very inside source close to Roth’s camp indicated that Roth was originally offered to take front stage again when Van Halen guitarist Edward Van Halen had vetoed the reunion of the original and most popular version of Van Halen, at the last minute.

Uncertain of the validity of these events, we contacted Sammy Hagar’s manager Irving Azoff (Manager for the Eagles and Journey) for a response on these speculations. Although Azoff ‘s spokesperson responded with the following “Sammy is working very hard to please everyone including David Lee Roth. Things are happening very quickly and The Hagar camp is ready for whatever comes his way. In the end it’s all about the fans. Sammy does not want to let his fans down and will do everything in his power to make sure everyone comes out winning.” What that means we will never know.

Van Halen’s spokesperson was unavailable for comment.
    What is understood, need not be discussed.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i think eddie is more then ready now, i think we will se the mighty van halen rise again soon.
    van halen shall return. what you think is nothing might be something after all.

Hang 'Em High James in New York's Avatar
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:18 AM
    Liked 2,082 Times in 675 Posts

That sounds like Sammy's manager is saying Sammy will do everything in his power to get EVERYONE back, meaning Dave (which would be wise of Sammy to do, so there isnt a backlash from Dave fans).

I think thats what he means by Sammy is doing everything he can to make sure everyone is happy.

He's saying he can deal with Dave and he's trying to convince eddie maybe?

Who knows...
    [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Fashion your life as a garland of good deeds.

- Buddha

Last Online

12.08.16 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Blotcher:
    Van Halen's spokesperson was unavailable for comment.
    who's the spokesperson du jour?
    "is this a good show tonight, or fuckin' what?" - DLR, Montreal, 11/10/07

Toronto 10/7...Cleveland 10/10...Toronto 10/12...Montreal 11/10

Last Online

Is this a real article for sure?
    I looked up Ryan Corbin and it said Pat Boone's nephew or something...and that he was in a coma.

Just want to make sure. [img]smile.gif[/img]

- Buddha

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:52 PM
    Liked 967 Times in 387 Posts

Originally posted by James in New York:
    That sounds like Sammy's manager is saying Sammy will do everything in his power to get EVERYONE back, meaning Dave (which would be wise of Sammy to do, so there isnt a backlash from Dave fans).

I think thats what he means by Sammy is doing everything he can to make sure everyone is happy.

He's saying he can deal with Dave and he's trying to convince eddie maybe?

Who knows...
    [img]smile.gif[/img]
    not to sound like a dick, but they really do not need the dave fans, it's not imperative. vh with sam was selling out venues for years, no reason they can't do it again. although, i'd prefer dave

JMJ
    "you can't change JMJ, it's legendary"- Brett Norton 9/24/07

"It's the "JMJ" everyone had grown to love, man! Time to blow the roof off this place!"
    -Zachenfoot 2/23/10

"The links just look a little better with JMJ. Always has, always will." -Hurricane Halen 2/24/10

"I'm doin' the victory dance. Told ya I'd be back. Tell me ya missed me. Say it like ya mean it" - Blood and Fire. =VH= 2012. Welcome back boys :headband:

"I don't give a flying fuck about Motley Crue. I give about a half a fuck about Rush. I like Van Halen and don't give a flying fuck how many tickets they all sell. Any questions?"- jimmyw

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

02.20.07 @ 03:36 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think by this point, they really do need the Dave fans. Sammy-era VH is pretty much a thing of the past. Those albums are not as celebrated, the songs are not played as much. I don't think it would be a complete commercial failure, but I don't think it would do nearly as well.

Still, I really don't like this whole both singers thing. It sucks. How the hell would this ever work? Sam or Dave wouldn't just be fighting with the band, they'd be fighting with each other. And frankly, this is a one-shot deal. Do any of us really just want a single total nostalgia experience. Both the Dave fans and Sam fans know that their singers are capable of doing more than just one album with the band. Why the hell would we want a one-shot deal? And also: I don't listen to the BEST OF CD the whole way through. You know why? Not just because I prefer Dave, but because it's too schizophrenic an experience. Can you imagine an album with both singers? I can't. And if it's just a tour, that's not what I want. I want new music. If there were a tour, I'd want Dave as master of ceremonies the whole way through.

Frankly, I think Dave would rather not do anything than join the band WITH Sammy. That's just crazy.

Just my opinion.
    "I had a girl beating on my hotel door all night...She was screaming, crying. Finally, I said, 'What the hell'...and I let her out!"- DLR

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

02.22.16 @ 08:29 AM
    Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Originally posted by Rikk:
    I think by this point, they really do need the Dave fans. Sammy-era VH is pretty much a thing of the past. Those albums are not as celebrated, the songs are not played as much. I don't think it would be a complete commercial failure, but I don't think it would do nearly as well.
    I agree totally with you that both singers is not an option, but as far as which one would be the best to bring back, I think we need to remember that any new Sam/VH music won't sound just like what we call Sam era VH, and any new Dave/VH music won't sound like classic VH. It will just be different...like CGTSNM or MWM from the Best Of. At least, it will sound different if Eddie has anything to say about it...
    www.mayakuper.com

"VH rocked Staples like a foot rocks grapes in Naples." - mistere

Last Online

I just want NEW MUSIC.
    Sometime SOON.

- Buddha

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

02.20.07 @ 03:36 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Lead Synth:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Rikk:
    I agree totally with you that both singers is not an option, but as far as which one would be the best to bring back, I think we need to remember that any new Sam/VH music won't sound just like what we call Sam era VH, and any new Dave/VH music won't sound like classic VH. It will just be different...like CGTSNM or MWM from the Best Of. At least, it will sound different if Eddie has anything to say about it...</font>[/QUOTE]Totally agree with you. I guess (for me with Dave's track record in VH), I have more faith in music with Dave. But I completely agree that neither singer would continue off from their respective last VH album (1984, BALANCE).
    "I had a girl beating on my hotel door all night...She was screaming, crying. Finally, I said, 'What the hell'...and I let her out!"- DLR

Favorite VH Album

Oh! You ate one, too?
    Favorite VH Song

Can't Stop Loving You
    Last Online

01.28.16 @ 03:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The one thing that gives this rumor a hint of truth is Sammy's manager Irving Azoff. This guy is a bigwig in the Rock world and has a history of doing the impossible.

I mean, who would have thought The Eagles would have gotten back together? Sam & Dave Tour?

So if anybody can pull it off, he can. I doubt it will be both singers reuniting with VH, though. I really don't think Ed and Al would go for that.

I'm keeping an eye on the MTV VMA. I doubt Ed will show, but ya never know. Perhaps (and still doubtful) Ed, AL, and Mike at Sam's charity concert?

Most likely, Irving will contact Ed after this tour is over, and take it from there.

We shall see...
    "Keep honking buddy. I'm reloading..." -The Mard

"......HEY!.............alright............." -BIG FOOT

" I know what you're thinking: "Do I want to watch Mard? We know that horses were very strong and could actually stop airplanes from flying away. The ones made out of stone called "statues" -- occasionally came to life and rode off is a colonial cliche. How many more times do we need to hear about how the oppressive Raj's wore villainous black capes, crafted cunning plastic masks to impersonate people, and drained all the blood from their slaves so they could keep the fluid in bottles in their dungeons? I mean, YAWN!

But if you're willing to sit through this dry sort of historical drama one more time -- or even just this dry historical review -- you will not be disappointed. In fact, some of you might just learn something they didn't teach you in school!-
    MARD-The Movie

Favorite VH Album

Oh! You ate one, too?
    Favorite VH Song

Can't Stop Loving You
    Last Online

01.28.16 @ 03:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

IRVING AZOFF: Biography

Nicknamed the "poison dwarf," a comment on both his size and demeanor, former artist manager and label head Irving Azoff rose to the top of the music industry in the '80s, becoming head of MCA records and rescuing the company from bankruptcy in the process. A one time protege of David Geffen, Azoff began his career by setting up Front Line Management in the mid '70s. Drawn to Azoff because he had the reputation of being a tyrant when dealing with record companies, Front Line eventually became the most powerful management firm in rock history counting Steely Dan, Boz Skaggs, Stevie Nicks, Heart, Jackson Browne and the Eagles (bequeathed to Azoff by Geffen) as among its clients. In 1983 Azoff followed Geffen's lead by becoming head of a major label, in this case the floundering MCA label. Within a year the crafty exec had turned the label into a money maker through deals such as the acquisition of the distribution rights for Motown and the signing of multi-platinum teen star Tiffany. Azoff resigned from MCA in 1989 to form his own label, Giant, which had early success with Color Me Bad and the New Jack City soundtrack. In 1994 Azoff orchestrated the wildly successful Eagles reunion album and subsequent tour, proving he still has the instincts to keep him on top. ~ Steve Kurutz, All Music Guide

--------------------------

I never met an asshole in music business I didn't like- Irving Azoff

[ August 23, 2002, 07:53 AM: Message edited by: THE MARD ]

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been let down before (who here hasn't) but I think this VMA show will be worth the watch.

Something is up folks. Dave and Sam at this show make it waaaaay too conveinent for something good to happen. Also, a lot of these threads here at the links have been pretty solid lately. There is no reason why something won't. I mean Ed's healthy, Sam and Dave are touring and the same stage (vma's) that failed us in 1996 is open again for the whole world to see. What a better time.

P.S. Why hasn't MTV acknowledged Sam and Dave on their web site?

[ August 23, 2002, 09:16 AM: Message edited by: TD Wolfdog ]
    "The reason most critics prefer Elvis Costello to Van Halen is......most of the critics look like Elvis Costello." DLR

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Streets
    Last Online

07.30.08 @ 05:58 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I really doubt a recovering alcoholic would ever tour with a singer who makes advertising tequila a major part of his show.

Eddie dumped Sam because record sales were suffering and they were having trouble selling out the stadiums.

He also dumped Sammy once he sobered up and realized Sam was a dumb-ass with no class: Eddie was already critizing his lyrics, though naming an album "FUCK" should have been the last straw anyway.

When you get older and have a legacy to protect, and you come to the conclusion it is being destroyed by second rate material, obviously you have to act.

Don't beleive me? Well, if you really want to see where Ed's head was at during the last tour, take a look at the setlist. It's almost all Dave material when it's not new.

It's pretty clear Ed wanted Dave back because he viewed their material as superior, but Ed's ego has grown so much since 1984 that he couldn't accept Roth's "I'm as much in charge as you are" attitude. Unfortunately, that exact combination is turned Van Halen into an astounding group rather than another 70s rock group with shrill singing.

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Full Bug
    Last Online

03.08.12 @ 03:55 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Sammy was interviewed in hartford ct last night. The dj asked him if he would reunite with vh. his answer was "its inevitable". the dj asked about a reunion with vh sammy and dave..sammy said no way.. he won't do it. If my memory serves me correctly, Sammy has maintained a position of a vh reunion with him and dave....things are starting to change it seems. he was very upbeat about it too..so who knows.