Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

09.26.15 @ 08:25 PM
    Liked 17 Times in 5 Posts

Never thought I'd ever have a rumor to share, but what the hell, heard this one from a friend in the music biz in L.A. and found it interesting. . .The reason for a lot of the holdup and just 3 songs being recorded was that Dave just wasn't cutting it vocally as far as the band was concerned. Yes, Dave said the songs were astounding and yes, many of you who saw Dave live in '99 said he was better than ever. . .who knows???

Does make some sense though, considering the pressure that the band is under for a reunion, that Dave not being up to par would just mess up all plans. And if there were some truth to this, it's easy to understand why the band would be keeping a lid on things, because they're in a total no-win situation. . .

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

05.04.17 @ 02:11 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

We've been hearing the "Dave's voice is shot" refrain from Camp Van Halen for years. Take a listen to the DLR Band or Dave's recent tour. Sounds pretty strong to me. Nothing a little echo or reverb cannot fix.

The bottom line is Dave never had a great vocal range and he's the first to admit it. That's not what makes him a great lead vocalist for Van Halen.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I agree. Eddie's got the range on his guitar. That's all they need. Dave is all about personality and showmanship. There was a reason Al and Ed got him in the first place. I think Dave is creative enough. I think Dave can handle Finish What Ya Started. Besides, I think Ed's guitar sounded better tuned down at times. It gave him a beefier sound. As Ed once said..."there are no rules".
    America's Team...The Green Bay Packers!<br />12 Championship Titles For The Packers And Counting...<br />"Depends What We Do". EVH 2001<br />VH R.I.P. 1978-1996

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind of Truth
    Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

10.09.12 @ 02:50 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The way I heard it was more that Dave was having problems writing to Eddie's music rather than actual singing problems. Also that there are financial disagreements.

Someone over at PD claims to have asked Eddie (at the golf) whether Dave might still be the singer, and Eddie said it wasn't up to him. [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img]
    Delusions of eloquence

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I can see this. Dave still sounds like Dave, but there's no question to my ears that his power and ability to hold notes has been greatly diminished by time. He sounded okay on his last tour, but nowhere near as powerful as he sounded in his VH days.

And doing an album is one thing, but how about when they go out to tour? Playing 3 shows a week is going to take it's toll, and I'm sure Eddie is concerned about that. The scary thing is, is Eddie just looking for any reason to derail the reunion? And if so, is he perhaps overly critical of Dave's voice when in fact it's just fine?

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

05.04.17 @ 02:11 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Glenn:
    I can see this. Dave still sounds like Dave, but there's no question to my ears that his power and ability to hold notes has been greatly diminished by time. He sounded okay on his last tour, but nowhere near as powerful as he sounded in his VH days.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unfortunately, the same can be said about Ed's guitar riffs. [img]smilies/devil.gif[/img] When was the last time he came up with a ATBL or a Unchained-caliber riff??

I don't completely disagree with you on Dave's voice. For example, Me Wise Magic was certainly not his best vocal effort -- the musical range was too much for his vox. CGTSNM was just perfect, however, IMO.

As for a tour, I bet we could come up with 100+ million reasons why Dave could make it work. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I tend to think it's much more simple...Ed just doesn't like the guy...
    Can't stop...addicted to the shindig...

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:06 PM
    Liked 11,578 Times in 4,934 Posts

I agree, Eddie don't like Dave.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Bru
    ed doesnt like himself or he wouldnt be so self destructive. face it thats the truth. he needs to face his demons and start living life as a happy father ... i dont buy the pics. hes miserable inside and it shows beyond the smile.

also daves voise is just fine and evryone knows it, plus whos voice hasnt changed when age hits come on!