Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Streets
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So, I have a dilema, should I dig further into the info that Bucky Baxter related to me or should I write it off as 'second hand news'? Is it just a tossed off rumour or is it fact? I wanted to know the ultimate answer to this so I decided to dig.

OK, I can hear the collective sighs and groans from the patient fans out there but please hear me out, it just may turn out to be fact.

Baxter told me that Miller had related that two of the tracks he contributed to were 'very 12 bar bluesy in style' and that a horn section was present as well. Turns out I know one of the players and he has a direct connection to David Lee Roth.

Baxter told me the names of two of the horn players that were there and I know one of them from some work I had done for a small record label in Miami over 5 years ago(legal & contract work). The guy in question is Teddy Mulet, who has played live with DLR and recorded with him as well (although mostly unreleased material to date as I understand).

I found Mulet's contact info through that record label and managed to speak with him. Anyway, Mulet seemed happy and not too stressed (at first) to pass on even more information my way.

"DLR asked if I could participate and do some charts for 3 tracks. Next thing I know I get a Fed Ex with the skeleton charts along with meeting info, contact info for sessions that were booked at Cherokee Studios in LA. I showed up the next month and had a great time"

OK, but can you elaborate a bit asked I in an ever so polite manner. Mulet said the sessions were tense, explorative, and magical all at once. I asked who, when, how, where, and why were they magical?!

"Well, being in the same room with Steve Miller and EVH with EVH's brother and Rick Rubin looking on was a bit of a charge". What was the vibe or general direction of the recording being done?

"I added horn charts and played trombone on three tracks, decidedly blues, with Miller adding wah-wah guitar fills and EVH being basically classic Eddie". Was Rubin giving direction? "No, he was basically standing behind two guys at the board and drinking alot of espresso and laughing around with EVH's brother". Where was DLR?

"I heard him being played back, I think he must have put down some guide vocals.." He said he couldn't really get into any more and that he had probably already said too much.

Call me crazy but I am pretty excited, I think we could all be in for something soon? I am crossing my fingers.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.07.17 @ 06:21 PM
    Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

Love to believe you mate, but it's a little hard with all the crap that goes on here! You seem genuine so I'm not going to slag you off, but you know how this is going to be received by everyone else! Prepare to be flamed! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    The eyes of the devil, fixed on, the sinner!

Favorite VH Album

The Classic 6 Pack
    Favorite VH Song

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

11.04.17 @ 06:01 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 65 Posts

True or not it's nice to read this... I can picture it just like when reading a good book... interesting plot, characters, etc...

now only if I knew if it was a good fiction or factual novel... [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img]
    Woke up this mornin, got Blue Moon in your eyes...
    http://www.myretrolounge.com

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hell at this point we'll take anything.
    As long as you relay it correctly, as you have been doing, it's cool.
    Do you believe? Don't you trust me?<br /><br />"I'm just trying to get in to heaven, I'm not running for Jesus." - Homer Simpson

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

Perhaps I was wrong! Expatfan, you appear to have won the trust of the board. I hope you're telling the truth because the consequences will be dire otherwise!

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

10.15.08 @ 02:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, this guy may be lying his butt off, but he is a good writer and it is very interesting reading. He is at least naming names and places, not your usual "I heard from Mikey's nephew's pool cleaner's uncle". It's like everyone keeps saying, someday one of these guys will have some correct info. Maybe this is it. If not, you better get out the a-hole stretcher cause they'll tear ya a new one.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Streets
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If this proves to be true in the end, think about the current turnaround that EVH has made and the possible sound we may all hear on the next album. Seems like DLR has been able to exert quite a bit of influence on EVH with the bluesy tunes and adding horns (similar to what he did just before the bogus '96 reunion).

I am hoping to nail down more bits of solid info on these recording sessions in the near future.

My lingering questions:

1. Why did EVH agree to book time at a studio other than 5150 and risk 'leaks' at a critical juncture in his band's career?
    2. Why did EVH apparently craft his riffs to a guide vocal of David's? Hasn't it always been done the exact opposite in the past?
    3. How and why is Steve Miller in on this? Is it just an old friendship that was initiated in the late 80's? Is Miller doing this as a one off?
    4. None of this seems to jibe with other current items (DLR's DVD, DLR's band jockeying, EVH's lawyer comments on non-reunion after Warner Bros. split)

I really don't know but maybe there is some weired grand deception going on and these leaks are or may lead to a total breakthrough?

Just more food for thought guys.

Existentially Uncertain Fontcow's Avatar
    Last Online

03.13.17 @ 07:58 PM
    Liked 868 Times in 463 Posts

Going on this as fact (which, of course, is impossible to discern) it appears that the Van Halen brothers might have realized that singer #4 isn't going to work and yet, neither would a Santana-like multiple singer album. Perhaps they've went completely the other direction and are basically working on an Van Halen All-Stars album where the entire record would be a free-for-all of musicians contributing.

It wouldn't be "Van Halen", but it'd sure be interesting!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

I was always under the impression that 5150 was quite a small studio. If this is true then maybe they had to go to Cherokee because of the horns etc. Maybe it's too hard to get two guitarists and three horn players into Ed's place. Also, Ed crafting riffs from Dave's vocals may be a result of VH3. Eddie was writing in response to Gary rather than the other way around and even though 3 bombed maybe he liked the new approach. Could be possible explanations for two of your questions.

Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

01.29.12 @ 02:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

I really fucking HATE horns in my rock and roll, that and fucking piano.

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 04:13 PM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

First off, Maybe 5150 is too small to have all those musicians in at one time.

Next, who played the horns on Alex's drum solo on the BALANCE tour?

Maybe they have added a couple funkadelic type of songs for fun. (that would go with Dave's voice of today)

This guy is either the BEST bullshitter to come around or he is going to get a very well deserved pat-on-the-back if this all turns out to be true.

If its not true, then well it was a nice read anyways.

But get ready for the flaming arrows from the VHLINKS TRIBE. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

If he is bullshitting us then he has at least done his research! I had a look at the Bucky Baxter site and things seem to add up from that front. Maybe there is a hole in his story, but it just may be a little harder to find this time...fingers crossed it's watertight and 2002 won't be another wasted year!

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm all for this continuing, I just refuse to get my hopes up about ANYTHING with this band anymore.
    Do you believe? Don't you trust me?<br /><br />"I'm just trying to get in to heaven, I'm not running for Jesus." - Homer Simpson

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.06.14 @ 12:51 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Any word of a tuba?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

I think we all feel the same way, but this is better than discussing who is a bigger dickhead, Dave or Ed! We might as well talk about something positive! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]