Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

I\'m the One
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

With the exception of Van Halen III, I have never heard an album trashed more than "Your Filthy Little Mouth." My question is, what specifically do people hate about this album. I bought it about five years ago and it is one of my favorites. The production is solid, the songs have melody and good hooks, the vocals sound good, the band is tight, and lyrically I think it is Dave's best work. I also like how their are many styles of music on one disc, i.e., rap, reggae, country, blues, rock etc. Just listen to "nightlife" or "Your Breathin it" and tell me that this album sucks. I think this album deserves at least four out of five stars. I think it was too avant-garde for mainstream audiences to appreciate. In a perfect world, this album would have sold five million copies.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

04.24.06 @ 01:43 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I agree. The song about the train is the only one that I find weak and skip-worthy. Experience, Breathin' It, and She's My Machine are my favorites. Dave's voice still sounds good. The lyrics are great. It's a fun and good sounding recording. I think it is probably a tie with Skyscraper as his second best solo effort.
    "We don't act this way because we're in a rock band; we're in a rock band because we ARE this way." David Lee Roth - 1983

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

03.29.16 @ 05:47 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

I think YFLM is great. The stylistic variety on it is a definite reflection of DLR's residency in NYC at the time of recording. Overlooked track to me are "Sunburn," "A Little Luck," and "Your Filthy Little Mouth."

I think it's funny that this album got trashed so much because it was different...funny because the same people trash Dave for doing a VH show the past couple of tours! There's just no pleasin' some folks! Regardless, I think it's is one of Dave's best solo albums in many differnt ways.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Ice Cream Man
    Last Online

02.01.07 @ 04:44 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The reason that people don't like it that much is because it IS different. I like about two songs on it (Big Train, and YFLM-great chorus). I don't really like the rap and country stuff, and I would guess that most VH fans don't either, which is why it didn't sell much. It didn't help that it was released in the middle of the grunge era, though.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Song

hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

i am definitely biased here- because i am one of the people who believes dave can do no wrong- no matter how far he pushes the envelope- but my only complaint w/ YFLM is the sound isn't as solid as it should be- i think the guitar is too muddy- and the bottom (bass and b-drum) just isn't heavy enough- drum sounds aren't stellar either- but i think the lyics are awesome - and the songs themselves are well-written and performed well... it definitely gets a regular spin in my cd rotation... i would like to produce dave's next cd- because i know i could personally get better guitar, drum, bass and voice sound on his recordings... he is still missing great backup vocals too- wish he could get back to the awesome harmonies like when eddie and mike were singing behind him... definitely one of the secret ingredients missing in his solo music...
    zach sanders<br /><br />"My boy, we are pilgrims in an unholy land"

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

DLR Band!!!!!!
    Favorite VH Song

Slam Dunk!!!!!!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I love the album now, but I'll admit, when I bought it in '94 it wasn't what I was expecting.

I remember it getting annilihated in the press - the really went to town on it, almost like they enjoyed killing off his career. I did discover one glowing review in a guitar mag - I'll post it someday.

As I've got older, I've appreciated the album more - I was 20 when I bought it, and some of it went right over my head. But nowadays there are only two songs that I can live without - A little bit of luck and Cheatin Heart Cafe.

Stick Mississipii Power (B-side to She's My Machine) in there, and you have a classic Blues-Rock album.

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by SlashNIzzy:
    The production is solid, the songs have melody and good hooks, the vocals sound good, the band is tight, and lyrically I think it is Dave's best work. I also like how their are many styles of music on one disc, i.e., rap, reggae, country, blues, rock etc. Just listen to "nightlife" or "Your Breathin it" and tell me that this album sucks.
    OK. You're Breathin' It is probably THE WORST song DLR did, and the remix is even worse!!!
    It's a real stinkburger of a song!!!! [img]graemlins/yell.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/scared.gif[/img] And the beginning "OHHHHHHHHHs" of Experience?! Puh-leeze!

Mississippi Power is the best song, and for some inexplicable reason, was only a B-side from She's My Machine, which is a poor man's Panama at best!!Land's Edge ain't too bad a tune.

Strangely enough, the live versions of SMM, Big Train, and Experience rock!! It's on the Night Life single.

Dave can perform in a lot of musical genres, but it doesn't mean even he can make it sound good.
    LIGHT 'EM UP!! <br />Smoke 'em if you got 'em!<br /><br /><a href="http://vhstrungout.com" target="_blank">StrungOut</a> Administrator<br /><a href="http://ClassicVanHalen.com" target="_blank">ClassicVH</a> / <a href="http://diamonddavidleeroth.com" target="_blank">Diamond Dave</a> Moderator

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

09.26.16 @ 09:40 AM
    Liked 832 Times in 512 Posts

Premium Member
    Out of all of Dave's solo albums, I liked this one the least. I prefer to hear Dave sing rock n roll and some blues songs. I just didn't care for the country or urban (rap) stuff.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

I\'m the One
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

&lt;&lt;OK. You're Breathin' It is probably THE WORST song DLR did, and the remix is even worse!!!
    It's a real stinkburger of a song!!!! And the beginning "OHHHHHHHHHs" of Experience?! Puh-leeze!&gt;&gt;

IMO, the worst DLR song ever is "shoot it" from the "A Little Ain't Enough" album. I really like "Your Breathin' it." I think it's a great rockin' tune. It sounds like Dave, but a more mature, sophisticated and refined Dave. That song could have been a hit if it was picked as a single and got some decent airplay. As for the remix, that's cool as well. I really like "Experience" as well. It has a lot of soul. Dave shows his fragile side on that song. Dave has guts and is not afraid to try out different styles of music. "Your Filthy Little Mouth" is a complete and total artistic success in my book.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

DLR Band!!!!!!
    Favorite VH Song

Slam Dunk!!!!!!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by SlashNIzzy:

IMO, the worst DLR song ever is "shoot it" from the "A Little Ain't Enough" album.
    Its amazing how fans of the same artist can have such drastic difference of opinion. I think 'Shoot It' is one of the highlights of ALAE - maybe my fave song, and I think he should've released it as a single instead of ALAE - I believe it would have been a big hit single - ALAE didn't chart.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Can\'t pick just one...
    Favorite VH Song

Every VH song is a tutorial on rhythm guitar!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The song "Sunburn" is fantastic! Great, great lyrics! And the guitar riff was really laid back! Fantastic song!

[img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]