Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Romeo Delight
    Last Online

02.03.07 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

At least according to Sammy in this recent interview!! Did Mike tell him this? If he is still part of the holdup, I wish he would just die, go straight to hell, and get outta the way already!!

http://www.bayarea.com/mld/cctimes/4333170.htm

Here's the quote:

> ..."I said, 'We need a break.' We were arguing and it was just one big
    > unhappy family the last year. And they wanted to do a greatest hits
    > record. I said, 'You're nuts.' We just came off 138 shows. We had a ...
    > manager, which they finally fired and who they're in a lawsuit with
    > now. That's half the reason they can't do anything. He put us on the
    > road until we almost dropped. My wife was pregnant and I said, 'I gotta
    > get home and have this baby.' They said, 'Well, in two weeks we want to
    > go in and record these two new songs. If you ain't here next week, we
    > assume you quit....'"

another scott
    "My only words of advice are [radio edit]."<br /> -Kid Rock

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later, Atomic Pu
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I remember someone suggesting about 6 months ago that Danniels may still have been part of the holdup, and I was incredibly pissed then at the possibility.

If that cocksmoker was indeed still holding up any word from VH at THIS point, then he is one of the most selfish, evil steaming piles of shit in existence. [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/yell.gif[/img]

I hope that's not the case at all, because I would just about book tickets to fly and kick his rotten ass myself at this point. [img]graemlins/sssh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later, Atomic Pu
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hey, that gives me an idea.....

How about a class action suit against RD by all us VH fans? [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 04:30 PM
    Liked 16,465 Times in 9,328 Posts

Legalities between VH and Ray Danniels sure would explain this ridiculous and seemingly never ending silence. It's been nearly three years since the departure of Gary Cherone and we still basically know nothing. [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img]
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you"

"Be careful what you wish for because you just might lose what you already have"

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.29.17 @ 01:23 AM
    Liked 57 Times in 23 Posts

Any legal guys here?

Is it possible that a lawsuit against VH could prevent them making any sort of comment on the situation?

Shouldnt this thread be in Main?

[ November 04, 2002, 05:23 AM: Message edited by: leroy ]

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:14 AM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

Question.

Would this lawsuit take place in a Canada court or A U.S. court?

Maybe thats the reason for the WB split. Then after the lawsuit is settled they would then resign with WB. Kind of like voids any contract that RD pushed on the band?

And we thought it was Dave's lawyers that got involved.

Eddie just can't seem to catch a break lately. And that could explain Alex's disappearance, maybe he is the one representing the band, after all he was RD's Bro-inlaw.
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

Last Online

11.12.17 @ 09:04 PM
    Liked 121 Times in 68 Posts

Donor

Posted on Mon, Oct. 21, 2002

TONY HICKS: MUSIC CRITIC
    Red Rocker rocks on
    By Tony Hicks
    CONTRA COSTA TIMES

MILL VALLEY

SAMMY HAGAR stands in the middle of his hotel lobby, giving instructions on how to properly drink the tequila that bears his label.

The student is a TV cameraman, still lingering from an earlier interview, who's just received a bottle of Hagar's Cabo Wabo mixture, plucked from a cardboard case near the sliding glass door.

Hagar's tone may be light, but he's dead serious when it comes to tequila. Properly approaching the good life matters. He wants the cameraman to savor the taste the way he does. Hagar is firm about this, and the student listens up. After all, it is Hagar's hotel lobby and his tequila company.

Sammy Hagar, Red Rocker, party animal, entrepreneur ... innkeeper?

"I know it sounds crazy," he says, plopping down on a couch in the living room-like lobby, which leads outside to a windy inlet of sparkling blue bay water. "When I built the Cabo Wabo, it's because I was in Cabo (San Lucas) a lot and needed a place to play, so I built one. A few years ago I was flying my band and crew guys up when I was auditioning people, and I couldn't get them a hotel in Marin County. So I built one.

"It's been open for four years. Now my band all moved up here, and I don't need the damn hotel."

There's a blurry line between what Hagar needs and what Hagar wants. When he laughs -- and he does so frequently -- it's what you'd expect to hear from a man who builds large buildings just because he wants to. The Acqua hotel, just off Interstate 101 in Mill Valley, probably won't be his last.

Hagar is 55 but barely notices. He has too many plans, none of which involve cashing in the 401(k) and buying a motor home.

To Hagar, age 55 is no different from his old nemesis of the same number, Mr. Speed Limit (as in he just can't drive that slow). Both numbers should be ignored for what they are: meaningless barriers to be blazed through in a flashy red Ferrari, and left behind as roadside dust.

Besides, there's no reason to step on the brakes now. He just did a week on the Hollywood Squares. He's featured in the first episode of the new VH1 show Oct. 28 called "Rock the House," for which he got to redecorate a fan's home.

He also wants to write a book and make a movie. He wants to form a superband and make a concept record rivaling Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon." He wants to play free concerts for his fans and he wants them to know the proper way to drink his tequila. He wants to save the world.

Hagar even wants to rejoin Van Halen ... someday.

At least, he thinks it'll happen.

"Oh definitely, it's inevitable," he says, tapping his foot and moving around like a kid who had one too many Snickers bars at lunch. "Unless they're completely shot. They have some serious issues."

Hagar doesn't. In many ways, he's still the same fiery rocker who burst onto the scene with Montrose nearly 30 years ago. Red is still the theme, from his bright bloom of hair to his red soccer shirt and shoes.

But he has changed. He's well into middle age, with kids and grandkids. Competition no longer consumes him. He has freedom that comes with lots of money. But some other things simply can't change, not if he lives another 55 years.

"It's a lifestyle; I'm for real," he says. These days he idolizes the Grateful Dead.

"The way they did it was awesome. They just broke all the rules. I love that. Guys like Jimmy Buffett and Neil Young. That's me. I'm a rocker. I love playing, and I'm gonna do it on my terms. Bathing suits and thongs; that's the way we do it in Cabo."

Though he doesn't sell records the way he once did, he's happier than ever, judging from all the knee-slapping and laughter. He has a new record out, "Not 4 Sale," with his band, the Waboritas, with whom he'll do a free concert today at San Francisco's Justin Herman Plaza.

He just finished a blockbuster tour with fellow Van Halen alum David Lee Roth, a man about whom Hagar manages to smile even while calling him every unrepeatable name in the book. Even the conflicts aren't worth getting upset about anymore.

Well, not totally.

"He's a complete, unreasonable (jerk)," Hagar says, hitting the topic head on. "He called me because he was pretty down and out. I wanted to do an Elton (John) and Billy (Joel) type of thing, him and I go out together and play some old hits. This guy got out there and all of a sudden (he's) God. He actually went out onstage in Boston after I came out with (Van Halen bassist) Michael Anthony, all the guys in Boston and (former Van Halen singer) Gary Cherone. He walks out on stage during his second song and says, 'Don't forget Sammy Hagar works for me.' And the place booed him off the stage. That's how stupid this guy is. I will go out on a limb and say David Lee Roth is a bad human being. I just felt like punching the guy in the face."

Roth stopped talking to reporters during the tour, so it's difficult to get his take on what happened. Hagar admits he's never liked Roth, but he wanted to put it aside for bigger things.

If everything had gone well, Hagar says, he would like to have taken Roth in the car to "drive down and get (Van Halen brothers) Ed and Alex and say, 'Hey listen, we do the Sam and Dave tour with all of us together.' Now how cool would that be for the Van Halen fans?"

Hagar isn't courting Van Halen, but doesn't avoid the subject either. It was one of the world's biggest bands when he joined in 1985, after more than a decade as a successful solo artist. Hagar says "it's all good" with Van Halen, but doesn't hesitate to point fingers at what led to his 1996 departure.

"I said, 'We need a break.' We were arguing and it was just one big unhappy family the last year. And they wanted to do a greatest hits record. I said, 'You're nuts.' We just came off 138 shows. We had a ... manager, which they finally fired and who they're in a lawsuit with now. That's half the reason they can't do anything. He put us on the road until we almost dropped. My wife was pregnant and I said, 'I gotta get home and have this baby.' They said, 'Well, in two weeks we want to go in and record these two new songs. If you ain't here next week, we assume you quit.'"

He showed up briefly, left again, and they haven't spoken since. Van Halen made one subsequent record with Cherone that sold poorly and was savaged by critics, then disappeared from the map. Eddy Van Halen has since fought cancer and is going through a divorce with his wife of 20 years, Valerie Bertinelli. The band recorded a few songs with Roth last year, but any sort of reunion has been shelved, with no information coming from the Van Halen camp concerning the future.

"I never quit that band, but the band, as you can see, has done nothing since," Hagar says. "It's over for Van Halen unless they get their heads together and just have fun making music."

It's a concept Hagar seems to have mastered. Since he left the band he's had another child and two grandchildren. He splits time between homes in Marin, Maui and Cabo San Lucas. He started a tequila company and his own record label. He built the hotel.

"I'm just happy doing what I'm doing," he says. "I've had so much fame and fortune, and I don't mean that in a bragging sense. After a while you just get a little bit jaded and a little bit used to it. And you just go, 'It's no big deal to me now.' I don't care. Like my new record, 'Not 4 Sale.' If it bombs, I'm not going to be crying.

It's not about making money, he insists.

"It's about going out and doing it. I'm really lucky -- I can play anywhere in the world. I only do what I want to do -- that was my aim."

He hopes the next audience shows up for Planet Us, a project including Van Halen bassist Michael Anthony and Journey guitarist Neal Schon. The plan is to do a concept record tackling world affairs. It doesn't faze him in the slightest that concept records don't generally sell well. Again, there's more to life than sales.

"It's about us, all being here together," Hagar says, waving his arms to make a point. "And if we don't get together and do something, we're doomed. This whole Middle East situation drives me nuts because the idea of nuclear war, or germ or chemical warfare, is the worst thing. The planet is almost dead. We've damned near killed this sucker and, you know, I've got grandchildren now."

Despite the serious theme, Hagar smiles and gets antsy just talking about a new band. He says it'll be ready to go in January.

"I'm a very busy guy," Hagar says. "I like to do projects when I really feel like it. I love to be horny for anything. I don't want to sit at the dinner table until I'm starving, then I want to say, 'Damn, this food is good.'"

He's also making a movie about his adventures of the past year on the road. He already wrote the accompanying book. He swears his cooking is good -- enough to make him a Food Channel star. Limits don't exist in Hagar's world.

Not even when it comes to his old band.

"I'm fine with them," he says. "I almost thank them for helping me get my head into a (good) place. I was really sold on being the biggest and the baddest. I'm so happy I let all that go, because now I can have so much more fun in a band. When I left Van Halen, I took inventory. I went, 'What the (heck) am I doing working this hard, when all I need is to relax and grow up and not be trying to compete with kids anymore?'

"When I did that, I felt so good about myself," he explains. "My life has changed."

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

10.15.08 @ 02:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

From Sammy's autobiography that was never published:

Hagar says that when he read the agreement that had been drawn up, he
    couldn't believe the terms Al's brother-in-law had proposed. "I remember
    the son-of-a-bitch wanted to get paid for the rest of his life," said an
    utterly amazed Hagar, "and that was for every Van Halen record sold in
    the catalogue. Even if he got fired tomorrow, he wanted 20 percent of
    everything. And get this. He wanted 20 percent of gross, not net. When
    I saw what he was trying to do, I went to the brothers raising hell.
    They were willing to sign Ray's proposed deal the next day. I went to Ed
    and Al and said, 'Are you guys crazy?' You don't understand, I was the
    only guy fighting this. Michael Anthony didn't have a real vote per se,
    so his involvement was limited. He's not a full partner, just a salaried
    musician in the band. He was almost replaced on every record we did, but
    believe me, I fought for Mikey too."
    Hagar refused to sign documents granting Ray Danniels any authority over
    his contributions to Van Halen since 1985. He thought the Canadian
    manager's demands were outrageous, considering he was stepping into a
    position that was already running smoothly, thanks to his predecessor.
    Because of his intense distrust of Danniels, Hagar wanted to implement a
    codicil into the manager's contract to insure a smooth transition, in
    case he was ousted from the band. The concept was called "the sunset
    clause," a prorated pay scale that would eventually phase him out five
    years after leaving the band, for whatever reason. The language Hagar
    worked out with attorney Don Engel stated that if Danniels was replaced,
    or left the band for any reason during the first year, he would be paid
    his previously agreed upon full percentage. The second year, he would
    get half of that. The third year Danniels would receive five percent,
    the fourth,one percent, and after five years, Van Halen was finished
    paying him. The idea came to Hagar from a conversation he had while
    touring with the legendary Joe Cocker, nearly twenty years earlier.

"When Ray Danniels initially proposed his contract terms, I thought of my
    conversation with Joe Cocker. There was no way I was going to let Ray
    tie up every guy in this band. He wanted to make money off the whole Van
    Halen catalog from the first David Lee Roth record until now. I fought
    him for a month. First thing, I wouldn't give him any of my percentage
    of 5150, OU812, For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge, and Live: Right Here,
    Right Now. I kept going to Eddie and Al saying, 'Come on you guys; think
    about this.' All they would say was, 'Yeah, yeah, yeah. Whatever you
    say.' They would not stick up for me. Ray had them convinced that the
    reason the old catalogue didn't sell was that Ed Leffler never pushed it,
    because he didn't own a piece of it. Well, the reason Leffler never
    pushed the Roth stuff was the simple fact he didn't give a shit about
    it."
    "This band had sold 65 million records in their 18-year career, and Ray
    Danniels knew exactly what he was walking into. He wasn't fooling me
    with the bullshit he was telling the brothers. Eddie and Al went ahead
    and gave Ray a large piece of their percentage of the old catalogue with
    Roth. They even gave him part of their percentage for the albums I was
    on. I refused to give him anything. I didn't need Ray Danniels
    breathing down my neck, sucking my dick, holding my hand and selling me
    out all in the same picture. You want me to tell you something else? Ray
    Danniels makes more money off the David Lee Roth era albums than Michael
    Anthony. How about that one? Ray Danniels makes more money than Michael
    Anthony period! It's sick, man. Ed and Al go along with it, because they
    make more themselves."
    Hagar's rage at Danniels continued to bubble under the surface, as he saw
    the manager manipulate the Van Halens like puppets on a string. "I never
    signed a contract with him after I saw how he was doing things," he said
    defiantly. "This guy came in and immediately wanted twenty percent of
    everything. I said, 'You're walking into a band that's already making
    millions. You have the nerve to ask for more than the last guy made who
    did everything in the world for us! All you are going to be doing is
    making the same deals Ed Leffler already made with the promoters; the
    same deal with our record contract; and renewing the same publishing deal
    already in place. You think that since you're the manager, and you come
    in to answer the phone, that you should get twenty percent? I absolutely
    refuse to sign anything that gives you more than Ed Leffler made.'
    With the new album coming out, and plans for an extensive tour starting
    to unfold, some sort of agreement with Danniels had to be reached.
    During one conversation with Ray, Hagar mentioned the unfair treatment
    Michael Anthony had been receiving from the Van Halen brothers. The bass
    player, he felt, at least deserved an equal percentage of the stage money
    they earned from their nightly road performances. "Michael Anthony
    stands there on stage every night," insisted Hagar, "and works as hard as
    me, or anybody else out there. I thought it was chicken shit that he
    didn't get his fair share of the stage money. Well, Ray Danniels, to get
    his vote, went to Mike and said, 'I will get you your equal percentage of
    the touring money.' You want to know why he told him that? Because he
    knew I'd vote him in as manager. Ray went in and made the deal with the
    brothers to get Mikey his stage money, although he still didn't get
    anything from merchandising, the records or publishing. Mike got conned
    and made a deal with the devil himself, though he didn't have to do it
    that way. A long time ago, he could have come clean if he would have
    just stood up for his rights. But I'm not here to ridicule Mikey. He
    did what he felt he had to do."
    Hagar ended up signing a deal with Danniels, recognizing him as the
    manager for only the upcoming Balance album and tour, nothing else.
    Sammy's contract called for Ray to make 17 percent of net, not gross,
    like he originally wanted. Eddie and Alex Van Halen gave him the same
    percentage across the board for everything.
    Sammy tried to put in the Sunset clause, but it doesn't say if he was successfull. If he was, the brothers maybe waiting that five year period out, and Danniels may be sueing because of why he was fired.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

All albums
    Favorite VH Song

All songs
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

That is a great possibility Brown Sound.... the contract was signed somewhere around 94' or 95'... if my math is correct, then 2003 could be the year then. This also makes sense for Edward copyrighting everything under the sun

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Wolfman:
    I remember someone suggesting about 6 months ago that Danniels may still have been part of the holdup, and I was incredibly pissed then at the possibility.

If that cocksmoker was indeed still holding up any word from VH at THIS point, then he is one of the most selfish, evil steaming piles of shit in existence. [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/yell.gif[/img]

I hope that's not the case at all, because I would just about book tickets to fly and kick his rotten ass myself at this point. [img]graemlins/sssh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img]
    This guy NEVER cared about anything else but making money off the band!
    I'm making a voodoo doll....

BTW,I looked at your page Wolf...very cool!
    The rumor: W.D.F.A-We Don't Fuck Around.<br />The truth: W.D.F.A-We Disregard Fans Abundently

Last Online

06.12.17 @ 09:51 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

I started a topic partially about this titled " Timing" in the opinions forum. Somebody shoot the bastard.

[ November 04, 2002, 04:34 PM: Message edited by: Dav-ed ]

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 02:16 PM
    Liked 1,460 Times in 896 Posts

What a crooked, piece of shit that Ray Danniels is. He knew what he was going to be rich but that didn't make it right. Screw the bastard!
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Album

All (Yes, even "VH 3").
    Favorite VH Song

All (except "How Many Say I")
    Last Online

08.31.17 @ 07:33 PM
    Liked 31 Times in 11 Posts

B L A M E C A N A D A ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

I hope that after all of this shit with Daniels that Alex Van Halen shagged his (Ray Daniels) sister rotten before they divorced!

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:26 PM
    Liked 37 Times in 19 Posts

If this information from Sammy is true, it makes me wonder what the fuck Ed and Al were smoking when they signed the contract. I mean it's not as if these guys were new to the music business. What the fuck cave were they living in? I've always heard what an astute business man Al was. The key word apparently being WAS. I can't believe Mike allowed this shit either. It sounds like he's gotten the shaft for years. Perhaps this explains the 2003 prediction.
    "People say Cream gave birth to Heavy Metal," says Baker. "If that's so, we should have had an abortion."

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 08:19 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

Originally posted by chain:
    If this information from Sammy is true, it makes me wonder what the fuck Ed and Al were smoking when they signed the contract.
    Common sense says it was Paul Malls, but my gut tells me it was Crack.

I can hardly believe that the band-to-fan liaison (Mikey)is a contracted studio musician.

I hope he gets a "fan-interaction" bonus.