Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:19 AM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

Last night I finally got to talk to the entertainment reporter (she was in LA doing an appearance with ET's Leonard Maltin).
    She said she did a little snooping while she was out there and didn't alot of new info but just one kinda big tidbit she got when she spoke to someone "involved" at WB.

She said, "Van Halen & WB split because of financial matters that they, (WB) were concerned that the risk in putting out and supporting a new VH album wouldn't be worth the risk. WB lost alot of money with VH 3 and are not ready in today's economy to do it again."

VH also as reported was very unhappy about how WB transformed the sound on 3 to something it wasn't intented to sound like. Eddie wants full control over his music, and plan B is already in effect. Negotiations have already been underway with an unknown label. If things don't work out, expect a VH's own label to be created.

Another thing that she found out, (true or not) is that a key sticking point in the reunion negotiations is that Dave wanted a guaranteed contract with WB for any solo albums in case he got the boot again from VH.

It does appear that WB put serious pressure for a reunion, now that they are out of the future of Van Halen, does that mean that Dave is as well?

[ January 26, 2002 at 04:57 AM: Message edited by: Eddymon ]</p>
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:34 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member
    sorry eddymon, your reporter hardly qualifies as a 'reliable source' and as such, this is off to the mill broham!
    A little zen....... Headed your way.......

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:19 AM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

I understand.

But its not any different in all the OPINIONS that are now in MAIN regarding this whole story.

Some of this is rumor and some was reportedas truth by a WB person. Thats all. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Keep up the good work Goo. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

BTW, why the name Goo?
    I'd hate to see what your keyboard looks like.
    Keep both hands on the keys man.
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

05.04.17 @ 02:11 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Whether or not this has any validity, there are two points:

First, I've always gotten the impression that Eddie has full creative control over all his work. In fact, I believe Ed & Al have been interviewed saying that WB basically leaves them alone in the studio. Back in the '95-'98 time frame it was the Van Halen Bros. that were obsessed with lyrics -- wanting to bring in outside people (Desmond Childs is rumored to have contributed anonymously to VHIII). And I hardly think that Mike Post was shoved down Eddie's throat. Seems like a lot of finger pointing to me.

Secondly, who would blame Dave for requesting, if not demanding, a guaranteed contract from WB given all the past problems with the band? It's up for debate whether Dave got screwed in 1985, but it sure looks like he did in '96.

The bottom line is that bad karma has been flowing from Howdie Doodie Mountain for years. Sometimes that bad karma comes back to bite you on the ass!

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 02:13 AM
    Liked 1,474 Times in 899 Posts

Thanks for the info Eddymon. I actually suggested the other day, that maybe Van Halen wanted to start their own label. Nobody to tell them what to do. Remember, Eddie built 5150 so he could record anytime he wanted to. One other thing, maybe the Dave DVD thing is just a stepping stone to get into the limelight before jumping on the VH Express.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Last Online

05.03.05 @ 09:18 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Eddymon:

Another thing that she found out, (true or not) is that a key sticking point in the reunion negotiations is that Dave wanted a guaranteed contract with WB for any solo albums in case he got the boot again from VH.
    wow, i never thought of that .... that seems pretty believable IMHO

Last Online

12.03.17 @ 09:00 PM
    Liked 537 Times in 291 Posts

Premium Member
    "Now batting Eddymon...Eddymon."

"Eddymon has had a tough couple of years at the plate Bob."

"Yeah I know Jim, but one of these days he's bound to come out of his slump."

"I've noticed that he's using a new stance at the plate today."

"I noticed that too Jim." You think it will work?"

"Here's the wind up...and the pitch."

To be continued. Out.
    Quin-a-se-i-co

You're a dick for putting ian on "ignore" DIF

"You stupid fuck!" Seen

"Well if you saw it, stats and scientific studies be damned!" Lovemachine 97 v. 2.

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:03 PM
    Liked 1,083 Times in 725 Posts

Premium Member
    Of all the "rumors" out there, this one actually makes a bit of sense. Except maybe the part about Eddie being unhappy with the sound on the last record and blaming WB for it. If he was upset, he has no one to blame but himself. Then again, this is Eddie so common sense may not apply.

Rock On
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/5150/Don\'t Tell Me
    Last Online

04.29.16 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Elwood P.:
    Of all the "rumors" out there, this one actually makes a bit of sense. Except maybe the part about Eddie being unhappy with the sound on the last record and blaming WB for it. If he was upset, he has no one to blame but himself. Then again, this is Eddie so common sense may not apply.

Rock On
    Ed claimed that the Master Tapes of VH3 sounded a lot better than the pressed CD version.......pressed CD's sounded muffled and not anything like what they had recorded at 5150.........Ed try to get it corrected, but to WB's didn't help..........but.....I can't blame the sound quality of "3" on it's lack of success.
    Actually I think most of us are Dave, Sam, and Mike fans. There's just a small group of people who have strange allegiances and like to get into petty pissing contests that I can't believe everyone on this site isn't bored of. - Brett

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:03 PM
    Liked 1,083 Times in 725 Posts

Premium Member
    I don't know. Would WB intentionally withhold the higher-quality master tapes and then release inferior-sounding VHIII CD's? Then turn around and release the remasters from the Dave-era which sounded great? Sounds like Eddie was smoking some high-quality weed.
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

So This Is Love?
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Actually, Eddie Van Halen said that he didn't notice the problem until Warner had maybe printed off a (I can't remember how many, but not THAT much) and he asked them to stop and they wouldn't. In interviews he seemed downright pissed about it. I'm not surprised that they're leaving WB, and I think it has a lot to do with VHIII. Van Halen wants to start fresh, and who can blame them.

On a sidenote, I barely listen to VHIII anymore. Even though Without You, One I Want, Fire In The Hole, Once and From Afar are ALL decent or good songs. However, I have really good sound equipment, and boy does it pick up the mistakes. It's very annoying to pay 20 dollars for something and have it sound like shit. I'd expect that from N'Sync, or Limp Bizkit, but not from the greatest guitarist ever.

Top Of The World
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by track 5:
    "Now batting Eddymon...Eddymon."

"Eddymon has had a tough couple of years at the plate Bob."

"Yeah I know Jim, but one of these days he's bound to come out of his slump."

"I've noticed that he's using a new stance at the plate today."

"I noticed that too Jim." You think it will work?"

"Here's the wind up...and the pitch."

To be continued. Out.
    STTTTRRRIIIIIIIKKKE 48, you're out!

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Eddie blaming the failure of VDIII on bad mastering is the most ridiculous thing he has said yet.

OU812 sounded like shit, but it still sold 4 million copies. If the MUSIC itself is crap, the production really isn't going to help much.
    Eat Us And Smile

Welcome back, Van HALEN!!!!

...It's the BAND and Dave is really the cat that can front VH. He sang his ASS off and was really cool. No cheese here guys, this is filet Mignon! - Steve Lukather's comment after witnessing a Van HALEN 2007 rehearsal

"What then is this bleating of sheep in my ears?"- 1 Samuel 15:14

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind of Truth
    Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

10.09.12 @ 02:50 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by Eddymon:

It does appear that WB put serious pressure for a reunion, now that they are out of the future of Van Halen, does that mean that Dave is as well?

Looks that way, can't see why they would split with WB if Dave was coming back. Sounds like EVH is more into legal stuff than music right now.
    Delusions of eloquence

Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

08.27.15 @ 02:07 AM
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

OK...here is what MY Warner Bros. rep told me today.

Basically in a nut shell, he was "speculating" (I think he really knows deep down) but he said some things that really made sense.

1. WB was tired of waiting for VH to make up their mind.
    2. WB was tired of the idea of funding all this recording, producing and touring if it WASN'T going to be with Dave.
    3. There was no way that VH could resurrect themselves after "the VH3 debacle" (his exact words)
    4. (note: This one really made me sit up and take notice.) "Does anyone even care about Van Halen anymore?" THIS coming from a Warner Brothers guy!

When you have "speculation" of this kind on this level, it shows me that the ship known as "Van Halen" is either waiting for the wind to blow it in any direction OR Van Halen is caught in a whirlpool and can't find any direction out. Either way, it sounds to me like WB said "good riddance to bad rubbish".

He also said this was the kind of thinking that went into the decision to drop ZZ Top a few years ago.

No product, no direction, no communication, no idea = NO LABEL. Simple when you look at it from a business standpoint.

Can't say I blame them. My rep DID say it was a "personally hard thing to see happen but it was just a part of the business."

And before anyone starts slagging on WB, although I'm sure they have their share of the blame too, Van Halen hasn't given ANYONE squat for over 3 years now and ULTIMATELY, THEY (VH) are responsible for their own destiny.

I'm beginning to think VH has a shotgun aimed at their feet and they continue to pull the trigger. I honestly believe if they all wanted it to happen, it would. However, it's like they're all a bunch of spoiled kids throwing a fit in the neighborhood shopping mall and we're the proverbial parent, hanging onto them by an arm as they swing around us so we can't land a good, solid one on their collective hineys!!