Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind of Truth
    Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

10.09.12 @ 02:50 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Just bringing a thread over which started at songs and albums. As far as I understand the legalities

1. Selling is definitely illegal. You're making a profit from copyrighted material which isn't yours.

2. Trading is also illegal. The RIAA adressed this I believe with a recent change in wording. You're still receiving something for copyritghed material - the reality however is that no one has even been prosecuted for 1-1 trading and probably never will.

3. Possessing is not illegal, nor is buying bootlegs. I know this sounds weird but it's the copyright/profit issue not the disc/tape itself which is important. I think giving away a bootleg must be legal too but I'm not 100% sure

The moral side

1. People who sell bootlegs suck - end of story.

2. Buying bootlegs. We've all done it, I don't like doing it and I don't any more but sometimes it has been a necessary evil.

3. Trading is cool as far as I'm concerned - providing it's fair and between hard core fans. I've never seen a bootleg I've traded show up on ebay - I hope I never do.

I think bootlegs are an important part of a bands discography in showing how they develop as a live act over the years. Some people say it's taking money away from the bands - I disagree. Most people I trade with own everything official by the band several times over. That's why they collect them

Soap box mode off

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I totally agree on the bootleggars sucking. The one time I bought boots through the mail, I nearly went broke. I'd be embarressed to admit what I paid for them. All they care about is money, not spreading the music to hard core fans who want to hear the music. This was before I had a burner, so now I get anything I get via trading.

Now that I've done a bit of trading, I've gotten a few emails asking if I will sell stuff. I always decline because I don't want to make money off of VH, I just want to hear them outside of the studio albums they've made.

Like Jonathan, I'll get off the soapbox now.

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

the new ones...
    Last Online

06.01.16 @ 12:55 PM
    Liked 25 Times in 9 Posts

that's nice jonathan... good clarifying point. i think boots are the nicest thing to a fan... everyone can have every release from any artist... but just the die hard fans look for boots...

and i agree that selling boots sucks... taking profits of your favorite music sucks... i think they should legalize the 1-1 trade... i don't see any damage to the artists.

i consider each boot that i have as an award for being a vh fan... i'm not sure, but gary was asked once about boots, and he is totaly in favor... he said that the real fans should get boots (he was in vh at that time).

i wonder if eddie is in favor or not... it'd be cool if he states that he's in favor of boots.

well... if anyone is interested... i'll be able to set new trades by friday... my list will be increased...

that's all folks!!!

oops...

------------------
    maybe i'm crazy,
    or just too high...

Eruption
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

ya your right
    but i dont think trading is illegal
    the us and the canadian government consider it a form of "collecting"

------------------
    *And The Meeks Shall Inherit The Earth* - Geddy Lee, 2112 Overture

http://surf.to/atomicpunk

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Trading is not legal! See the part about receiving other copyrighted works. But like I said no one is about to be arrested for 1-1 trading - that's about #937 in the RIAAs list of priorities.

-----------------------
    No Electronic Theft Law (NET Act)

The No Electronic Theft law (the NET Act) is significant because now sound recording infringements (including by digital means) can be criminally prosecuted even where no monetary profit or commercial gain is derived from the infringing activity. Punishment in such instances includes up to 3 years in prison and/or $250,000 fines. The NET Act also extends the criminal statute of limitations for copyright infringement from 3 to 5 years.

Additionally, the NET Act amended the definition of "commercial advantage or private financial gain" to include the receipt (or expectation of receipt) of anything of value, including receipt of other copyrighted works (as in MP3 trading). Punishment in such instances includes up to 5 years in prison and/or $250,000 fines. Individuals may also be civilly liable, regardless of whether the activity is for profit, for actual damages or
    lost profits, or for statutory damages up to $150,000 per work infringed.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:57 AM
    Liked 555 Times in 251 Posts

some bands set up special areas for people to tape shows

all you are doing is taping a moment which probably isn't going to be near CD quality.

there's just a special energy on a boot that you wont find on a studio album

look at bands like the Grateful Dead, etc---these bands flourish with bootlegs--sure they don't sell as many studio albums, but the concerts are all sold out, people listen to the music in their homes, and the bands come off looking like they don't ONLY care about the money.

PS--I'll be taping part of the Ozzfest next week

------------------
    "Do you believe??
    Tell me you believe!"-Me Wise Magic

Eat us and Smile por favor~!

VH files--The truth IS out there..
    www.houseofhain.com

[This message has been edited by hain23x (edited June 28, 2000 at 09:42 AM).]

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hain23x:
    some bands set up special areas for people to tape shows

all you are doing is taping a moment which probably isn't going to be near CD quality.

there's just a special energy on a boot that you wont find on a studio album

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Some boots do capture the energy, some don't. The tapers section is covered by the fact that RIAA won't pursue something like this without getting the band involved - so you'll never see anyone prosecuted for trading Dead, Phish boots etc

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

the new ones...
    Last Online

06.01.16 @ 12:55 PM
    Liked 25 Times in 9 Posts

Boot rules!!!

------------------
    maybe i'm crazy,
    or just too high...

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

bootleggers do suck with their prices and selling low quality recordings sometimes...but most of the time i buy my bootlegs, i have to i dont have a burner,i dont think thats bad..and now actually ive hooked up with a guy i found who s selling vh boot cdrs with case and art work for 5.00 for a single and 10.00 for a double with a ton of titles so im pretty happy now and i dont mind if he makes a small profit since he s only selling vh boots and is a big vh fan......

------------------
    eddie vanhalen , there is no substitute.
    Official member of G6.

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

dont flame me to bad

------------------
    eddie vanhalen , there is no substitute.
    Official member of G6.

Top Of The World
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just read ludwigs question....can i ask an adaption of the same question. i live in australia and a can tell you there are no bootlegs avaiable full stop. i would love to trade, however, i don't have any bootlegs to trade with....so how can i start trading???????? man, i would love to hear some of the titles out there.....shit!!!!!!!

Top Of The World
    Last Online

11.23.12 @ 12:24 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey Peavey5150, visit my trade page. Pick which bootlegs that you want, and send me two blanks for every one burned CD, plus cover the shipping charges, and I'll make you copies of any bootleg in my collection. Email me at [e-mail]bigtrouble_77@hotmail.com[/e-mail] if this sounds like a deal to you.
    Eruption Trade Page

Last Online

09.26.15 @ 08:25 PM
    Liked 17 Times in 5 Posts

Another consideration for collecting bootlegs is the lack of live material released by the band during the Dave era. With the exception of the Fair Warning videos and from VH2, there has never been anything put out, even though it has been theorized that many authorized recordings exist. The Dave era boots capture the essence of the original Van Halen. I would be thrilled if SOMETHING was put out from the old days and would buy it in a heartbeat. And of course, the bootlegs are the only way to hear the club days, when VH was a GREAT cover band. As for buying boots, I had to do it to get my collection started, but now I have a decent collection and have been able to trade now that I have access to a burner.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1 &2 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

To hard to figure out
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

2 for 1 is still a profit. Outtakes and unreleased music at one time were not considered copyrighted material (bands rarely copyright something not released) and statued of limitations are different in some countries in obtaining bootlegs. And one other thing that all of you have to watch for is bootlegs whether they be trades, buys, boots on CD-r or video if goes through the post office its ILLEGAL according to the Postmaster General. You are transporting something illegal, especially across state lines.
    Mike