Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

09.04.12 @ 11:37 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Is there any chance today's younger generation could get into VH? I'm really referring to teenagers in this case. I just don't see VH having much of an influence with that age group unless they make big changes (which I don't really want to see). The question is whether or not they can put out a massive, huge album and not have the support of that age group. It doesn't really matter, but it would be awesome to see VH on top of the hill again. They deserve the recognition and not the ridicule.

[ May 09, 2001 at 05:35 PM: Message edited by: Nature Boy ]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Right Now
    Last Online

05.18.09 @ 11:19 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

I seriously doubt they'll convert the NStinkers and the "rappaz."

They have a chance to overtake quite a bit of the current crap that attempts to pass as rock music, as long as they stick to what Classic VH does best.

More songs like Me Wise Magic, for instance, could help their cause.

I could see some teenagers enjoying VH, but I'm not entirely sure about the MTV-brainwashed mainstream, unfortunately. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
    I'm one of those crazies on your block.

writing

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I think in order to reach and connect with a large number of young people, they'd have to follow the Aerosmith blueprint; pretty girls in eye catching videos, and ballad type material released as singles.

I've been wondering for awhile now how much pressure VH will be under to conform to this type of package for media purposes. It might alienate a lot of long time, hard core fans, but I'd say it would be their only way to succeed at creating a new generation of VH fans.

And I still believe that Dave's hairline will be a negative against the band. Truth is, the ability to look young (relatively speaking of course) is what keeps Steven Tyler in the position he's in. I certainly don't care about Dave's hair, but the fact is it'll make him seem old and less relevant to younger fans.

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Glenn:

And I still believe that Dave's hairline will be a negative against the band. Truth is, the ability to look young (relatively speaking of course) is what keeps Steven Tyler in the position he's in.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[img]smilies/confused.gif[/img] I think if you look at the overall Dave he looks great for his age.
    I don't see his hairline as a negative, either. It's just receding a bit [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<br /><br />God Bless the USA!!!!<br />~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ANGEL4U:
    [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img] I think if you look at the overall Dave he looks great for his age.
    I don't see his hairline as a negative, either. It's just receding a bit [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I totally agree with you that Dave looks great for his age, but I'm talking from the perspective of a 15, 16, or 17 year old. My feeling is that they'd see Dave's hairline as a negative, as it makes him look less cool than Steven Tyler or Mick Jagger.

You know, there's a reason why Dave gets photographed a lot in hats these days. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Last Online

09.26.07 @ 02:38 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I agree that they probably won't take over the mainstream and change everyone's mind about the right music to listen to but it sure will save rock.
    "It's so damn hot... milk was a bad choice." --Ron Burgundy, Anchorman

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I think in order to reach and connect with a large number of young people, they'd have to follow the Aerosmith blueprint; pretty girls in eye catching videos, and ballad type material released as singles.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you really see VH with DLR as a band that will do this? I don't, and I don't see VH taking over the world again with him at the helm.

I wish I could find that picture of DLR from his '99 tour where he looks like Doc Brown from Back to the Future [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] "Dave looks great for his age," okay, maybe he does, but he looks really fuggin old in some of those photos too. [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
    "Just once I'd like to do the right thing and not get punished for it."

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Unfortunately as someone pointed out, and Aeroshit approach would have to be taken, with cheesy ballads, flashy video's, yadda yadda. That's NOT DLR, Van Halen could never pull that type of crap off with DLR cause he would simply never do it. I couldn't see DLR getting all teary eyed in a video about some lost love or whatever the hell they sing about in those cheesy songs. If that is what they (Van Halen) want to do, to try and capture the teenage market they better start sucking up to Sammy, Sammy always has something to say about love and all that cheese ball stuff (don't mean to diss Sammy, he is my preferred singer), but I think you get the point. Could you see DLR singing Can't Stop Loving you or something similar? Not without puking and laughing his ass off! DLR has too much attitude for that kinda stuff, which is why from a commercial sense a reunion, my opinion, would be a total failure. However, with the fans, it would be a sure fire win. But it would be the regualr fans (who's left) to buy the CD's and concert tickets, so from that stand point it will do well. But I couldn't see more than a 2 million seller with DLR, 3 would be stretching it, and with DLR they won't have the cheesball hit they will need to gain mass appeal in todays music market.
    Life is something that happens when your planning something else.

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm talking from the perspective of a 15, 16, or 17 year old. My feeling is that they'd see Dave's hairline as a negative, as it makes him look less cool than Steven Tyler or Mick Jagger.

You know, there's a reason why Dave gets photographed a lot in hats these days. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img][/QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe he could wear a bandana like Axl Rose.....

[img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<br /><br />God Bless the USA!!!!<br />~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

Hmmm...don\'t have one
    Last Online

01.11.08 @ 09:17 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If they have to change to make new fans and be successful, I say screw it. Who cares about new fans for that reason? It's the old fan that got them where they are(in success, not taking forever). So appeal to the old ones first.

Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I don't know guys, if the last two years have proven anything, it might be that the record company has A LOT of power.

If you've ever read Aerosmith's book Walk This Way, you can hear the band and their inner circle tell it exactly like it went for them. They had John Kalodner doing A&R for them, and when it came to making Permanent Vacation, he basically forced them to work with outside writers and was very forceful in trying to guide the material. Then when they were making Get A Grip, when Aerosmith gave the label the album upon completion, the label sent it back saying that half of it sucked and they wouldn't release it as it was.

Now that's the musical side to things, but how will the label influence (pressure even) the band on the video front. VH has done slower type tunes with Dave (I'll Wait being a prime example) and they have had hot women in their videos in the past, so it could very well be that they'll end up following some of the Aerosmith blueprint when it comes time.

I just don't see VH as being totally immune to outside pressures from the label when it comes time to sell this thing. If they are trying to market new fans, I can almost guarantee that the first or second single will not be a hard rocking tune, but a slower blues type (notice I didn't say ballad [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]).

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KenyonVincent:
    It's the old fan that got them where they are(in success, not taking forever). So appeal to the old ones first.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] yeah.....screw the young...er...new fans [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

09.04.12 @ 11:37 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've got no problems with chicks in a VH video. In fact, I'd rather see a chick than DLR. Just a heterosexual preference of mine.

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Could This Be Magic
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

As a kid (or "TheKid", as the case may be), I'd point out that while VH may influence people of my generation with a new release, it won't be the same as the early 80s. Back then (from what I've been told) people saw Dave and wanted to be him. People saw Ed and wanted to be him. They embodied cool. That ain't gonna happen again.

No 15-20 year old guy is going to want to be a 45+ year old frontman to a rock band.

But the good news is if the music is good and the marketing is done right, that won't matter. No one went around saying they wanted to be Steven Tyler or Carlos Santana in my high school. They just bought and enjoyed the music.

That is what VH can still do if they choose to do it. I wouldn't call it selling out. I'd just call it staying relevant.
    DtK<br /><br /><i>"<b>Do</b> something."</i>

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

im 16
    and i love VH

i hate rap
    i hate boy bands
    nstink
    backdoor boyz
    britney the biggest lipsynchin whore