Register
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

07.08.15 @ 12:21 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 1 Post

Imagine what would happen to the music industry from the effects of a VH Reunion Tour.

* Rock n Roll returns
    * Guitar solos in songs again
    * MTV changes format
    * Record companies drop (hip hop acts)and start looking for VH clones (again)
    * Present bands change their format and stage
    show

What do you guys and gals think?
    "Who would ever believe a little dutch boy could create such a ruccous"

- Eddie Van Halen

Check out my band "Modern Relic" on youtube and Facebook

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 06:30 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts

Sounds like a dream scenario to me. I honestly don't know how big an impact a Van Halen reunion would have on the current musical climate. It would be cool if a band like Van Halen could effect that kind of change but with the watered down shit that passes as music theses days the scenario you describe is probably wishful thinking.

The bottom line though is we need Van Halen back kicking ass regardless of all the other shit. Ed, Al where the fuck are u? This MIA shit is getting old.
    "It's now officially 5150 time!!!"

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can\'t This Be Love
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

As awesome as that would be, it won't happen... [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img]
    Right now, rock n' roll needs a swift kick in the...<br /><br />"Gimme a bottle o' anything... and a glazed donut... to go!"

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

03.29.16 @ 06:47 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

I think the potential for huge impact was there back in '96. I still want a reunion with DLR, but I'm fairly certain a tour would be much more successful than a new record. With all the damage VH has done to alienate their fans, I'm sad to say a reunion record would be lucky to do VHIII numbers...

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

MCMLXXXIV
    Favorite VH Song

Too Many To List
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

MSC,

I'm not so sure about your theory about the chances of success being greater for a tour than an album...

Santana 'Supernatural' was a massive success for a dinosaur of an artist whose career hadn't yielded a Top 40 album in over a decade. This is a hurdle VH will not have to overcome.

Never count out a good record, no matter how dead & buried its artist may appear to be.

The Real Deal
    <a href="http://www.the-real-deal.com/index.htm" target="_blank">The Real Deal</a> does old VH better than any other band in the SF Bay Area. Hearing is believing...

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

03.29.16 @ 06:47 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Deal,
    I hear what you're saying. I just think the industry has changed so much the last few years...I just don't think a band like VH would get the right kind of backing for the kind of sales they're used to racking up. But like you said, if they do a solid album (with a good push) anything's possible.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

11.15.17 @ 03:55 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I hate to say it but for Van Halen to truly re-shape music as it is right now (backdoor boys, enstyk, and the like), they are going to have to have to put out a killer cd from start to finish. It would hurt if a song off of that effort was on the coattails of a box office smash (ala Aerosmith). They are also going to have kiss some major booty to get all factions of their fanbase in tow. They need to hit the press junkets, award shows, perform on SNL or whatever place will have them. They will have to get out there and hustle. Something they have not done since '86 when they were trying to sell the world on Sammy Hagar after DLR left the band. They can't just roll their instruments out there behind any old effort. They're going to have to push. People criticize Aerosmith for selling out...well, that's just what they're going to have to do (so-to-speak) if you ask me. I don't think you have to compromise musically to do that but they have to get their stuff out there in a way that can be commercialized and that a majority of music fans will be exposed to it. Whatever they do will be received by the hardcore fans but if they're going to 'change' anything about the industry, that's what they're going to have to do in my opinion.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

11.15.17 @ 03:55 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

it would not hurt if it were on the coattails of a box office hit I meant to say....(sorry.)

Hot For Teacher
    Omaha, soon to be Phoenix again...Thank GOD!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later, Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think in 1996 maybe. Not now. The only thing that gives me a glimmer of hope that VH could be big again is what happened to C. Santana a few years back. I doubt it though. MO.
    "Why behave in public if you're living on a playground?" Fools...<br /><br />LET'S GO RED WINGS!!! Ten time Stanley Cup Champions...

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

07.08.15 @ 12:21 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 1 Post

Originally posted by MO Halen:
    I think in 1996 maybe. Not now. The only thing that gives me a glimmer of hope that VH could be big again is what happened to C. Santana a few years back. I doubt it though. MO.
    Yeah ...i know im dreaming...but wouldn't it be great if that happen. I JUST WANT TO SEE MTV EAT CROW for ditching bands like Van Halen.
    "Who would ever believe a little dutch boy could create such a ruccous"

- Eddie Van Halen

Check out my band "Modern Relic" on youtube and Facebook

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 07:17 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

I don't see a reunion tour or album changing ANYTHING in the pop mainstream. Period.

For a band to be on MTV, they have to be in the top 20 acts of *Pop* music......not just the "currently best" rock band, which I can envision them becoming (again) under the right circumstances.

When Van Halen ruled the world, they were on rock stations *AND* pop stations. Same thing with Def Leppard's "Hysteria" album.

The playlist would go, Tiffany, Debbie Gibson, "Jump", Miami Sound Machine, Billy Joel, etc.

Still, VH1....yes.....MTV2......yes.......but the original MTV? No.

Not that I care.

I think for Van Halen to do something that really caught on, they might wind up creating music that most of us might not favor too much.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/5150/Don\'t Tell Me
    Last Online

04.29.16 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just for the record,

I don't think Mtv has "ditched" Van Halen at all. Van Halen just hasen't put anything out. How can a network promote a band that doesn't have any new material.

From 5150 up 'til "3" MTV's been there.........it's Van Halen that's chosen not to play the game.
    Actually I think most of us are Dave, Sam, and Mike fans. There's just a small group of people who have strange allegiances and like to get into petty pissing contests that I can't believe everyone on this site isn't bored of. - Brett

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 966 Times in 387 Posts

mtv will most likely never change their format again

JMJ
    "you can't change JMJ, it's legendary"- Brett Norton 9/24/07

"It's the "JMJ" everyone had grown to love, man! Time to blow the roof off this place!"
    -Zachenfoot 2/23/10

"The links just look a little better with JMJ. Always has, always will." -Hurricane Halen 2/24/10

"I'm doin' the victory dance. Told ya I'd be back. Tell me ya missed me. Say it like ya mean it" - Blood and Fire. =VH= 2012. Welcome back boys :headband:

"I don't give a flying fuck about Motley Crue. I give about a half a fuck about Rush. I like Van Halen and don't give a flying fuck how many tickets they all sell. Any questions?"- jimmyw

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

04.24.06 @ 02:43 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Good or poor effort, VH will have no effect on the current scene. Is seems that style over substance is the order of the day. Dancing over playing instruments. Lip-synching over real vocals. People who watch MTV would have little to no interest in what a Van Halen caliber band could offer.
    "We don't act this way because we're in a rock band; we're in a rock band because we ARE this way." David Lee Roth - 1983

Favorite VH Album

Fair Women Down
    Favorite VH Song

Chicken Feet for Breakfast
    Last Online

07.11.09 @ 03:27 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

People forget that when VH broke through, other genres of crap music still thrived (it was the 80's,remember?).
    I frankly don't give a shit what kind of numbers a new record does. For it to be successful IMO
    it would simply have to be a creative success for
    Edward. If it is, people will respond to that
    because they will be hearing something they may
    not have known they even needed. For the rest of us, it will just kick ass. And most likely the effects of that will trickle down and eventually we will end up in hair metal hell all over again...

[ September 04, 2002, 12:32 AM: Message edited by: mistere ]