Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

It's my thought that 3 was only a couple singles away from being a mainstream hit. Lose tracks 11 and 12 in favor of TWILY and another radio-friendly song and maybe all this Dave talk becomes a moot point? Or am I high???*LOL*

------------------
    "Van Halen fans been hangin' in there for a long time...they're probably the best fans in the world..."-Sammy

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I guess it would depend on what you compare vh3 to

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

How close was VDIII to being a hit?

You know the distance between North America and Australia?

That close.

------------------
    Eat Us And Smile!!!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

"Dance the Night Away"
    Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I agree with you about the album. It was close. Maybe two quality cuts away. I really think on a deeper level, fans would not accept him if he produced a "5150" caliber album. The fans had grown tired of the singer-go-round so I think he was sunk before they started touring. They boycotted the album and the tour. Meanwhile, had people seen the amazing tour before purchasing the album, it easily sells 2-3 million. I do not doubt that for a second. His performance ranked that as the best show I have ever seen VH perform. And I have seen them with all three singers. It is too bad.

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Good music that's well promoted sells. Had they used TWILY, they might have had a chance. If a movie had come along promeniently featuring TWILY (and a good video been made for it) it might have done as well as the sappy Aerosmith tune from the same time frame.

As for the fans boycotting it, I don't buy that as being a reason for the failure. Most of the millions who bought previous releases aren't in that hardcore, follow it everyday group. Most people figured VH was done after the '96 fiasco, and then it took well over a year to get 3 done and out there. They didn't have a credible radio tune after Without You, and that hurt sustained sales. But what the hell do I know?

Last Online

09.14.15 @ 07:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Depends on how you look at. Because it was Van Halen, and it only went gold that's why it was considered a flop in the first place. You gotta look on the bright side, VH's in a class with few other artists, you know you're huge when gold is considered a complete flop. It still sold more than YFLM (which was on a major label) and DLR Band combined.

------------------
    I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class, especially since I rule!

Proud member of the Dirty Faced Kids!

Up The Irons!

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I really like TWILY and think it should have been left on the album. But I don't think anything was going to save VH III and put it in the multiplatinum success zone.

I love the album, but I think that (like Mitch Malloy said) once they went on TV with Dave, they set themselves up to a different standard of music that VH III wasn't. In alot of ways, I think VH III gets a bad rap more for what it wasn't, than for what it was. There's alot there to enjoy if you put aside your notions of what you expect Van Halen to sound like.

More than anything, III proves to me that Eddie is an artist. And yes, sometimes true artists drive down the wrong side of the road, ignoring the warning signals. Sometimes the results are disasterous, and sometimes they work. But at least EVH had the courage to try. I'd rather see him trying the road less travelled, than repeating the past. I've already got Fair Warning, no need to repeat it.

------------------
    More perks than Elvis' night stand!!!
    www.vhlinks.com

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:14 AM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

Missed it by the hair on Gary's ass.

Actually, I agree that if they had one or two more songs that had any marketability they would have done quite well.

But with all the changes the band put all us fans through in 2 years, most were pissed off and there was no way in hell anybody would have accepted ANY new singer. Even Robert Plant in his prime would have failed as Van Halen's 3rd singer in 2 years.

Even though the Eddie & Alex say that they "never told Dave that he was back in", We all know that their intention was to test the waters with him and that if he did anything stupid, that they had Gary as their back up plan.

Well Eddie and Alex, I guess the joke was on the two of you. This time don't overreact to what Dave says or does. By now you guys should know to let Dave be Dave because I haven't seen him hurt anyone by his antics.
    Just put your egos aside and do whats best for Van Halen the band. Not because your feelings were hurt because Dave made a comment about your hip. He was excited and got caught up in the moment.
    I bet that when you were drinking Ed, that you made some stupid comments to Val and she just shrugged it off and kissed you goodnight. She didn't wake up in the middle of the night and cut your dick off did she?

And BTW, Don't think that Dave would have needed a cup because he would have kicked your ass until big brother came to help you.

------------------
    ENOUGH IS ENOUGH EDDIE, ALEX, MIKE & DAVE.

*****Gary was Van Halen's mid-life crisis*****

Last Online

12.13.11 @ 02:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Well Eddie and Alex, I guess the joke was on the two of you. This time don't overreact to what Dave says or does. By now you guys should know to let Dave be Dave because I haven't seen him hurt anyone by his antics.
    Just put your egos aside and do whats best for Van Halen the band. Not because your feelings were hurt because Dave made a comment about your hip. He was excited and got caught up in the moment.
    I bet that when you were drinking Ed, that you made some stupid comments to Val and she just shrugged it off and kissed you goodnight. She didn't wake up in the middle of the night and cut your dick off did she?

Eddymon, your post was hilarious and I agree with it 100 percent and I am a EVH nut! Just let Dave be Dave.

------------------
    Eddie! Eddie! Eddie!

Hot For Teacher
    Omaha, soon to be Phoenix again...Thank GOD!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later, Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It's funny you guys bring this up now. I've been playing III this last week (for some strange reason) and I have come to this conclusion: Take all the vocals out and it's good! Just a thought. MO.

------------------
    Why behave in public if you're living on a playground? Fools...

Last Online

09.26.07 @ 02:38 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I think VH3 would have had more success if That's Why I Love You was on the album and was the first single. When Van Halen got Sammy their first single was a three and a half minute pop song (Why Can't This Be Love), and it was a hit and 5150 eventually reached #1. TWILY was shorter than Without You (four minutes compared to six and a half), and in my opinion is a better song.

------------------
    "We will be making some announcements very soon. All I can really tell you is we're in the studio working on new material, there will be a new Van Halen coming out, and it sounds great." --Michael Anthony, 1/22/01

Dan Halen

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

Josephina
    Last Online

05.25.17 @ 07:28 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I was talking to one of my buddies about VH3 a week or two ago, (he's not a huge fan, just knows the singles). And we came to the conclusion that the lyrics/singing is what killed the album. The music is great and proves that Eddie is King. But the lyrics sound forced and the singing just wasn't VH.

------------------
    "The thing that inspires me the most is my bottle of Jack Daniels. It's my best friend in the world. Ol' Jack will never let you down. He's always there when you need him" - Nikki Sixx, Hit Parader magazine 1986

"Van Halen is 'Get the fuck off the sidewalk if ya don't like our drivin' kinda music!" - David Lee Roth

"We get to the hotel, there's people partyin' in the parking lot, people gettin' down in the elevator, wow! I swear to God I had this one chick, this chick was poundin' on my door, she was kickin' and screamin' at my door 'til about 6.30 this morning. Finally, I just said, 'Fuck it!' and let her out of my room!" - David Lee Roth

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

Hmmm...don\'t have one
    Last Online

01.11.08 @ 09:17 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Even if TWILY was on there and the production was better, VDIII still wouldn't have sold much. Maybe platinum, but they just aren't mainstream anymore. That's sad, but true You had the then-new gay boybands coming out in the limelight. I wish I were wrong though.

------------------
    Kenyon Vincent-the linker formerly known as Red-Balled Mammoth.
    "God bless ya southern California, you people are bad-asssss"-DLR at the '83 Us Festival.
    "No, that's not a microphone in my pants. I'm just happy to see ya, Californiaaaaaa!"-DLR at the '83 Us Festival

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind of Truth
    Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

10.09.12 @ 02:50 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

How close is David Lee Roth to being the next pope?

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

well it was far from being main stream

it didnt have nothing that, had the true van halen sound as far as singing. more like a cover band mimicking sammy to a point.
    the guitar in vh3 to me was not very. specific, it seemed more like. abroad spectrum of music that none of the singles represented the album.
    with out you isnt horrible,
    from afar is spacey, but i think is a cool song, but not very radio friendly at all

my favorite song on that album is year to the day.
    the ass blistering blues sound on that whooooppps asss/ but needed david lee roth to put his voice in it/
    the rest of album had a bit of gay gary cherone 70s disco in it.
    but anyway the album just was to unbalanced
    its as thou, they werent rying to be radio friendly. more like lets make what we have work.