Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 3
    Favorite VH Song

Right Now
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi folks, Bezek back again to make a comment. For all the old-school VH Linkers you would always know that I was always for Gary Cherone. Alot of people put him down for no reason and think HE was the reason that Van Halen had been put on the bench. What gets me know is that all the people who gave him shit time after time after time are now going around and saying GARYS THE MAN. Gary was and will always be the man. He has always been a great guy and no matter what all you said and did those comments bout Gary will never be forgotten.

To the the Gary fans out there IT does feel good to see all the Gary haters kissing his ass now.
    "Jebe Ga"

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/5150/Don\'t Tell Me
    Last Online

04.29.16 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Extreme's "Waiting for the Punchline" is on my top ten list of all time.

Van Halen 3 is not even close to being on that list.

Gary's a great singer. Lyrically, a little too deep and constructs lyrics that are "slick" rather than memorable.

With that being said, I would have rather had a 2nd album from Mr. Cherone and Van Halen rather than this silence.....
    Actually I think most of us are Dave, Sam, and Mike fans. There's just a small group of people who have strange allegiances and like to get into petty pissing contests that I can't believe everyone on this site isn't bored of. - Brett

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

G. Cherone......well VH never played australia with any other singer, I think he did a *&^* great job live , the album was a bit dissapointing but thats only the production and maybe eddie's guitar playing didn't seem to be as raw as any other album(my opinion so dont shoot me)........VH3 yeah I'd have them back any day....beats waiting around for DLR or SH to appear.
    Maybe we should urge Gary to make the first move and call eddie, it doesn't seem like anything else is happening and if he is such a "good"guy maybe he could pull it off !!

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

01.02.15 @ 09:39 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

My position has remained the same throughout, Gary is a great singer. Extreme at the Freddy Mercury concert was nothing short of amazing. Unfortunately on III he was not singing like that Gary Cherone, and the album as a whole was too much of a paradigm shift for the average fan. It's possible that a second album would have seen them more tuned into the VH of old or at least letting Gary sing in a key where he wasn't straining his voice.
    He's a good guy but the songs he was asked to sing weren't.

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 3
    Favorite VH Song

Right Now
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What Im saying is that alot of people put Gary down before he even got into 5150 for the first time. I think Gary was under the bigggest possible pressure since the get go. The fans crushed him as soon he walked in the door!!!
    "Jebe Ga"

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

VH/Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

So This is Love/Mean Street
    Last Online

09.23.17 @ 09:09 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts

My position has never changed... I never liked Extreme and didn't like him in Van Halen. He might be a great guy and he seems to have a decent voice but none of that translates into me being a fan of his, pre or post Van Halen. And certainly not DURING.

Peace

[ October 16, 2002, 08:38 PM: Message edited by: Hangman ]

Last Online

12.08.16 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

never liked Extreme, either. didn't like VH3. i don't think TOJ is going anywhere. definitely not kissing Cherone's ass then or now...
    "is this a good show tonight, or fuckin' what?" - DLR, Montreal, 11/10/07

Toronto 10/7...Cleveland 10/10...Toronto 10/12...Montreal 11/10

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

01.02.15 @ 09:39 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hmmmm, Bezek, I don't remember that being the case on my block, but it may have been for many fans. VH people are nothing if we're not opinionated. I was ready for III to be the thing for the next ten years and assumed it would be. But upon first listen my immediate thought was they had a bunch of leftover Sammy songs that were out of Gary's vocal range. I don't think he was given a fair shake by the Bros first and foremost.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Gary was a good fit for Extreme. It's all about chemistry though.. You cant take Roger Daltry out of the Who and put another in his place and get the same results. You cant take Tyler out of Aerosmith or Mick Jagger from the Stones.

Van Halen was lucky enough to catch lightning in a bottle. They (VH) were able to have Sammy join and still be just as good but in a totally different way and style. I'm not sure if some of you realize how rare this type of thing is.

I cant think of another band that has had as much sucess with a 2nd vocalist. after the sucess of the first. maybe AC/DC..?..

If Eddie wanted the 3rd incarnation of VH to be a success he should have never had Dave in to do the two Best Of songs. IMO that was like teasing someone with one thing then giving them something completely different. VERY bad marketing. But I guess thats Van Daniels for ya...

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Gary was a good fit for Extreme. It's all about chemistry though.. You cant take Roger Daltry out of the Who and put another in his place and get the same results. You cant take Tyler out of Aerosmith or Mick Jagger from the Stones.

Van Halen was lucky enough to catch lightning in a bottle. They (VH) were able to have Sammy join and still be just as good but in a totally different way and style. I'm not sure if some of you realize how rare this type of thing is.

I cant think of another band that has had as much sucess with a 2nd vocalist. after the sucess of the first. maybe AC/DC..?..

If Eddie wanted the 3rd incarnation of VH to be a success he should have never had Dave in to do the two Best Of songs. IMO that was like teasing someone with one thing then giving them something completely different. VERY bad marketing. But I guess thats Van Daniels for ya...

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

08.22.12 @ 09:58 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by David5152:
    - AC/DC

- Genesis

- Black Sabbath (Heaven & Hell and Mob Rules with Dio sold well)

- Rainbow (after Dio jumped ship to join Sabbath, Joe Lynn Turner took over vocal duties and led the band to it's most commercially successful era)

- The Beatles (Paul is dead. Right?)

I'm sure there are many more.

By the way. Gary Cherone had no business being in Van Halen. It was a simple case of bad casting.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

VH3 was doomed before it even began. If only people woulda seen the live show they woulda realized just how energized and rockin VH was playing. It was and always will be difficult hearing Gary(or anyone) sing Dave or Sammy era material, but he did it respectfully and gave it 110%. Thanks to him I at least got to hear songs I otherwise would never have heard live. And may never be able to hear live again!
    I just feel the media and everyone immediately assumed with Sam out, Dave was in. Hell, MTV themselves tried so damn hard to hype Dave's comeback. Regardless of opinion I respect Eddie, for better or worse, for sticking to his guns and making a very gutsy yet costly call. When word got out Cherone was in it seems everyone was waiting to lynch VH and hence VH mach 3 was doomed. It was almost like they said hey, you pulled off the impossible with Sam, we aint gonna let you do it again!!!

Far as bands making a lead singer change, you can count on one hand those that have done it succesfully. The way VH did it was absurd. The few bands that have done it usually get a frontman very similar to the first guy and then continue on making the same kind of music or living of their catalog of songs/hits. They have every right to.. VH brought in Sam, the complete opposite of Dave. They changed their sound, style, everything. They basically shut the door on the entire Roth era by only maybe pulling out 1-2 Dave songs in concert!!
    And despite all this they fired off 4 consecutive No. 1 multi-platinum studio albums with Sam(ties Led Zep), 9 Top 40 hits, 11 no. 1 hits on the Rock Mainstream Chart(World Record), MTV Video of the Year 1991 for RIGHT NOW.. and all the while maintaining headliner status and not missing a beat! No one did it like they did.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Currently - Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.28.12 @ 10:39 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I liked Extreme, and loved watching them live.

I was really looking forward to what they could come up with with Gary Cherone.

I wasn't dissapointed. I really loved Van Halen 3. I'm probably one of the few people that bought it twice. Original, and the box tin set.

Yep, and it still gets listened to regularly now. Some of the stuff Eddie is doing on that album - wow ! Add to that songs like Year To The Day. Fantastic ! But this is my opinion.

I only have one regret. The Van Halen 3 shows were cancelled in the UK, and I had tickets to go to see both. So at least most of you people got to see Van Halen (fairly) recently. Us UK guys missed out on it. So we're all still waiting for them to return. I just wish they hadn't cancelled the shows, it would have been the best concerts I would have ever been to, I just know it !

"<i>You can please <b>some</b> of the people <b>all</b> of the time,<br />And <b>all</b> of the people <b>some</b> of the time,<br />But you can't please <b>all</b> of the people <b>all</b> of the time !</i>"<br /><br />(was Dave5150 on <b><i>The Pleasure Dome</i></b>)<br /><br />Check out some of my music at: <a href="http://www.dave5150.com" target="_blank">www.dave5150.com</a>

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

03.05.07 @ 03:11 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I personally never gave two sh!ts about Gary Cherone. I thought the band Extreme was for pansies and that Gary was always a bit on the "funny" side of life. But after reading his recent comments, I must say that I now respect the man treating the Van Halen situation the way he did. I still don't like Extreme, but Gary is now ok in my view...

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

So This Is Love?
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Gary Cherone was simply in the wrong place at the wrong time. I think the classy way he speaks of his Van Halen situation is what sets him apart from a whiny Tequila salesman.