Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Please don\'t make me choose
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

At this point Ed, Al, and Mike (at least if I were in their shoes) need to take an honest look at how they can both be themselves and be successful in today's music climate. To me VH with Roth is less likely to satisfy that than VH with Hagar.

Here is my reasoning: Although VH with Roth would be an instant success, only the die hards would stay after the initial push. As much as you want people to understand and love the decadance and grandeur of early Van Halen, it's just too far back and too far gone. Roth's lyrical style and content would do nothing but alientate any new or younger listeners. They just wouldn't get it. So when the novelty of Roth being back in the band fades, most of the interest and the chance for continued success would go with it.

VH with Hagar (again, to me) is more than capable of standing on their own in today's market. The sonic qualities of Balance, and to a lesser extent Humans Being is a foundation of the sound for today's modern rock acts(rap/rock bands excluded), so sounding dated wouldn't be a problem. Now I'm not claiming "better or worse", but Sam's lyric style and content for lack of a better word would be more accessable to the masses leading people to be attached to the songs and not the band's current line up which is all the band wants anyway.

I know I'll hear something about Sammy and his predilection<sp?> torwards writing about love. I have two responses. 1. What's wrong with that. Love is some important shit in this world and their needs to be more of it. Yes even in rock music. 2. Not too long ago someone posted about Sam and him not bringing that rock attitude due to his ballads and sometimes soft lyrics. Then he went on to list: Stones=attitude, Led Zeppelin=attitude etc. Many concurred. I don't hear anyone knocking Jaggar or Plant for their couple dozen trips to the love bag.

Well that's my take. I'm looking forward to yours.

Rock on
    TD
    Unofficial Keeper of the Faith<p>Our responsibility is to the music and it's continued growth<p>Who's your daddy?<p>"I'm bold as love, just ask the axis" J.H.

Favorite VH Album

Balance, WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, Romeo Delight,
    Last Online

02.05.15 @ 12:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Good post and I agree with your reasoning. Unfortunatly, I think that Van Halen was passed by long ago - regardless of the singer. I guess time will tell.
    "There is a fine line between stupid and clever" - Nigel Tufnel

Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

strung out....
    Last Online

02.28.14 @ 07:54 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

good post ...i agree..

Eruption
    Last Online

08.02.17 @ 01:39 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

....very good post....it's funny...I think if 1984 was released today it would sell as big as it did the first time and 5150 would do the same....on them 2 records Ed was really pushing the envelope with the keys and guitar.....it seemed with every other record after that they " got back to basic rock ".....that kills me to say it , because it was still great
    ..In 1984 Van Halen Jumped Panama
    Topped Jimmy & Dropped Dead Legs
    ..Ill Wait in this House of Pain with the
    Girl Gone Bad while I am really Hot for Teacher..

..Think it was easy ?..you stare at an album
    Cover that long..

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Song

hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

they have a term for that in the music industry- its called "selling out"... seems to be a popular way to go these days... the VH flame is already gone- lets just piss on it a little more to make sure it never comes back...

you guys would make great music industry executives though... a career-move option perhaps?
    zach sanders<br /><br />"My boy, we are pilgrims in an unholy land"

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:10 AM
    Liked 11,557 Times in 4,925 Posts

As if bringing Dave back isn't an obvious way to make a dime. LMFAO! Bringing Dave back whether Eddie wants to or not is "selling out" just as much as playing pop tunes with Sam.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If a reunion were to happen, it would be a one shot, two shot deal at the most. The market has changed to much to support new music from classic artists. There will be little to no MTV play and only a few classic rock channels for radio time and hundreds of thousands will download the record online. Were are talking about a greatest hits nostalgia tour, if anything. It comes down to who's hits more people will pay to see, I think that means Dave. I don't think new material really matters at this point. Perhaps a nice way to sum it up would be to have a one shot, Sam/Dave with VH tour and then walkaway. Hell, even invite Gary along as a member of the road crew. Either way, get the shit over with and let Eddie make his own music solo.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Please don\'t make me choose
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by 55starfire:
    they have a term for that in the music industry- its called "selling out"... seems to be a popular way to go these days... the VH flame is already gone- lets just piss on it a little more to make sure it never comes back...

you guys would make great music industry executives though... a career-move option perhaps?
    It would be selling out if they FORCED themselves to work anyone just for the money. No one is asking them to force anything. In the top of my post I was looking for the compromise between being themselves and their greatest chance at continued success.
    Unofficial Keeper of the Faith<p>Our responsibility is to the music and it's continued growth<p>Who's your daddy?<p>"I'm bold as love, just ask the axis" J.H.

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

....nahhhhh...you havn't sold out if you still have fans

Cover that long..

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

.....I could give a rat's ass how much $ they make....in fact they are probably making more money sitting at home doing nothing...but the one thing that i dont understand is ED & al lived for playing live....so what's holding them back from what they love to do ?....like ed said " records are excuses for us to perform live

Cover that long..

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Song

hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

i am not bashing the guy- i am just saying making musical decisions based solely on what would do best in the "market" is selling out (and thus the expression "selling out") the music that they make in the future should be based on what sounds good to them- not what will sell a bunch of records... of course that reasoning backfired on their last attempt...
    zach sanders<br /><br />"My boy, we are pilgrims in an unholy land"

Favorite VH Album

The Classic 6 Pack
    Favorite VH Song

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

11.04.17 @ 06:01 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 65 Posts

By limiting your evaluation of what would make Van Halen successful in today's music scene to DLR and Sam... odds are stacked severly against any possibility of major sustainable success.

Your odds are going to land you in one of a limited number of buckets.

Go w/ DLR and you start in the nostalgia/reunion bucket. Produce something very fresh and new that is relevent to the 21st century and you "might" push yourself into the ranks of still somewhat viable older rocks acts... Stones for example.

Go w/ Sammy DLR and you start in the nostalgia/reunion bucket. Produce something on par with Hagar's genre/current fan base and you make it to viable, active classic/album rock status, but, more of a small to mid range market penetration. Produce something very fresh and new that is relevent to the 21st century and you "might" push yourself into the ranks of still somewhat viable older rocks acts... Stones for example.

In either case produce something of a major break through and capture audience from baby-boomers, generation-X, generation-Y, and whatever today's punks are called combined and you are there...

Although I doubt neither Roth nor Hagar can produce enough anger/angst to appeal to today's young males... and today's young women... well they ain't gonna find boyish charm but, be grossed out by middle-aged men old enough to be their daddies or grandpa's... dancin and prancin on stage.

So both are destined for a nitch market unless they break through a major musical barrier... possible... sure... low odds though.

The only serious rekindled Rock icon that has successfully broke this barrier was Santana which with the greatness of his rock guitar and teamed it with "viable to today's audience" young singers that bridged the 4-5 of rock's generations and even a few musical genres.

Old Van Halen in any of their previous genres without a very fresh spark and a couple of cans naphalm isn't going to be the world class enigma it once was.

But if they put out new music that didn't fill stadiums... is that a bad thing...?

[ September 04, 2002, 09:33 AM: Message edited by: Zahzoo ]
    Woke up this mornin, got Blue Moon in your eyes...
    http://www.myretrolounge.com

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

...I never got the term selling out....why do we go too work everyday...in that case we all are selling out...i do understand there are bands out there that signed on the dotted line just to say they have a record contract...and then later read the fine print: your band must be called this...all members must dye there hair black etc etc....van halen never did that , in fact I was in shock when warner bros dropped them....they gave the record company rules to follow

Cover that long..

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:10 AM
    Liked 11,557 Times in 4,925 Posts

All bands who sign record contracts and make albums "sell out." That's the whole point of making a record, to sell them. Selling out is a dumb term IMO, because that's the whole point of being a recording artist, to sell records to the most amount of people you can. Don't tell me small Indy bands wouldn't love to sell 5 gazillion records...they would!
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Ice Cream Man
    Last Online

02.01.07 @ 05:44 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

It's not selling-out when you need the money to survive, like when we all go to our crappy jobs, every day, victims to the rat race. It IS selling-out when you don't need the money, but decide to make more money by making music that will alienate the people that made them rich-unless it's music that they really want to make. I don't think that VH would be selling out, because I don't see Eddie making music that he doesn't like. Never has (although there was pressure during Fair Warning, so he just went at night and recorded the music himself), never will. Now Aerosmith, they are making music that the majority of the band members don't like (that's what I've heard anyway). That's selling-out.