Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

11.12.17 @ 09:04 PM
    Liked 121 Times in 68 Posts

Donor

Saw it at DLR Army, don't know where it's from, sorry if it's a repeat...
    .Chapter and verse, this is the story of Sammy, Dave and, eventually, Gary. Read between the lines and everything should be clear.

"I guess the best way to describe the situation with Sammy is when you have a room full of people whether it's a studio or whatever, you are bound to have differences of opinion. Okay, music is subjective. There is no right. There is no wrong. Yes, sometimes chords don't strike your fancy, you can tell 'that one stinks, let's get rid of that one'.

"As far as the rest of it goes whether it's lyrically or how a song should be structured, it's all subjective. When there's a person who's not open to being receptive and being part of a process then of all of a sudden things are not a round, not a circle. Now all of a sudden you've got three people sitting in one corner and one person arguing with them. That was the beginning.

"Rather than going into particulars and painting a picture of - because Sammy's not here to defend himself - I think the simplest thing is to say that like in a marriage when they say there are irreconcilable differences, that's basically what it was."

Eddie picks up the story, not content with diplomacy as a solution.

"The last conversation I had with him was 'Sam, it can't go on like this. You can't be a solo artist within a band; you have to be open like the rest of us are. No, we don't want you to be a puppet. Of course you write the lyrics and do your thing but be open to suggestion'.

"That openness of suggestion was closing and closing to the point where he wouldn't take anything from anybody. Finally, after reiterating to him about 11 times, me saying to him 'Sam, in order to continue on you need to be a team player' he finally copped to it and said 'alright, I'm frustrated, I want to go back to being a solo artist'. He quit."

Alex: "End of story."

Not quite, Eddie isn't finished, although you get the feeling Alex wishes he was. Not quite as calm and let's-keep-it-in-house as his brother, Eddie has a few fairly recent bruises and Hagar and Lee Roth aren't about to be forgiven. So instead of putting a silent fullstop he unravels it all.

"The last thing Sam said to me was 'We can remain friends and if you ever change your phone number please call me up' and I said to him 'You do the same'. Good luck' and that was it; it was amicable. Okay, a press release goes out saying he quit and three days later I read a headline 'Sammy Hagar ousted' and I can't be a friend with a liar.

"I'm sorry, Sam - you lied.

"So a little later I'm playing golf with Randy, who's sometimes my guitar technician and works for Roth. And he goes 'oh, by the way Roth wants you to call him'. I went 'oh, okay', thinking same old star, like 'hey, he's got my damn number tell him to call me'.

"Dave did call and I returned his call and he was informed that we were putting out a 'Best Of' and we basically apologised for the two-year-old mentality of mud-slinging over the years and went on discuss the packaging, whether it's one disc, two discs.

"I told him I don't know much of anything right now. Sammy just quit the band. I don't know where it stands and I'll let you know mid-week. I ended up just stopping by his house because I was in the neighbourhood out that way.

"We sat around and talked for a couple of hours and he seemed like a different guy than the-old-Dave. And one thing led to another. Then I had this hair-brained idea which I don't know if I ever should have brought up. Like let's maybe do something together.

"Well, this guy was putting a cart before a horse that didn't even exist. Every other day I had to reiterate, 'Dave, we don't have a song, you're really pulling a hamstring getting ready for a tour that's not going to happen."

Alex: "There was no misleading. Ed's favourite expression was 'let's just take baby steps'. We'll do one step at a time. We'll do the first song ... "

Eddie: "And we hadn't written the song yet and he's preparing for a tour. What tour."

Anthony: "Said his bags were packed and ready to go. Go where?"

Eddie: "I just kept telling him 'You're putting the damn cart in front of a horse that doesn't exist yet. It was just a project, a hair-brained stupid idea now I look back on it."

Alex: "I beg to differ because two good songs did come out of it and we did have some fun with the whole result. I gotta tell you if he had been more in that vein of what I would call being in a Dali mode and just be creative and let if flow, well, bring the palm trees, man bring the monkeys, do whatever you want."

Eddie: "I was depressed for a week after the MTV Awards because I really in my heart wanted to believe he had changed, that he'd grown up, that he was an adult, whatever that means.

"I'm going to be 42 in January, I'm not a drunk 23-year-old who's easy to manipulate. I can read through everyone's BS now and I'm clean. I really wanted to believe he'd changed. He had me fooled pretty good for a while until the MTV Awards where he basically spit in my face and that was it as friends. I was still willing to go professionally and shoot a video with him because Warner Bros wanted it but two minutes of public adulation at the MTV Awards and 'boom' right back to old DLR."

Alex: "I have one final thing to say and that is that I think people tend to take this too doggone seriously. I wish that we could be articulate enough and poetic enough and enough like Salvador Dali to paint something of false reality, fact is this is a rock'n'roll band. This is not the invasion of Normandy, this is not higher wisdom. We make music, we entertain people and when we have the right person to do that we will be content and I think that content will spread."

Eddie: "Exactly. When we walk out of our studio door each day and we have done something that touches us and it transfers on and we release it and it touches other people, then 'mission accomplished'. That's what it's all about."

Alex: "We do have one last thing to say. There were good times with Sam, there were good times with Dave. Dave, I respect you wish you the best of luck. Sam, the same thing for you."

Van Halen have "no plan" for the future. They have Glen Ballard producing the next album, they have the auditioned but un-Van Halen roadtested Gary Cherone ("Ballard was just flawed by Gary when he auditioned" - Eddie), and they have ideas about doing some different things.

There's a unity about this trio, a toughness and a relentless belief that will make it hard for Cherone. He'll get every chance but whether the inner sanctum really lets him in will be fascinating to watch.

Van Halen will "Jump" again, how they land and how much spring is in their step is as indeterminable as the time the saga will span. Already they have outsurvived nearly all their contemporaries. Eddie Van Halen laughs, "We don't know where it's going but world we'll be back and when we do come back - watch out!". And he means it.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the heads up DirtyMovies!
    "The day will come when it will sound better, but it will still be digital. To me, it just isn't musical. And when it comes to music, I'm the Unabomber of digital technology. I hate it." -Eddie Van Halen

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Streets
    Last Online

07.30.08 @ 05:58 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That's a great interview. Alex looks like he's pretty reasonable, while Eddie looks a little bitter. I saw that MTV awards thing, and I thought Roth was being typical Dave. But typical Dave is what made Van Halen great. What did they expect - a new humble "I'm going to let a couple of alcoholics boss me around" Dave???

Last Online

Donor

Originally posted by Me Wise Magic:
    Thanks for the heads up DirtyMovies!
    Si Senor!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hit the ground runnin'
    Last Online

06.03.10 @ 11:18 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Wow! They let Mikey say a sentance. [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img]
    EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

"Please don't take my teddy bear... Please!!!" - diamondsgirl's Oscar nominated dramatic scene for best actress of 2007

"and by Van Halen, I mean David Lee Roth" - diamondsgirl on Van Halen

Test5150
    Originally posted by Ou812max:
    Wow! They let Mikey say a sentance. [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img]
    Nah, I've got that interview on VHS and Mike wasn't even there - just the bros. Must be a typo (there's plenty of 'em in there)

Last Online

12.01.17 @ 09:52 AM
    Liked 33 Times in 27 Posts

This interview sounds a lot like the one they did with Tommy Nast on the radio....in 97. Promoting the BOVI, I believe....

Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

03.01.10 @ 10:22 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by gabby gabbster:
    This interview sounds a lot like the one they did with Tommy Nast on the radio....in 97. Promoting the BOVI, I believe....
    Yes, that's exactly what it is. I have it on audio tape. And I would have to disagree with Chelle, because I definitely hear Mikey's voice in there.

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Eddie's not a drunk 23-year-old who is easy to manipulate....he's a forty-something year-old drunk who is impossible to deal with.

Eddie seemed to have plenty of ideas for Sammy's lyrics. I wonder how receptive Ed would've been had Sammy tried to suggest changes in Ed's guitar solos???
    "There's a Japanese term called wabi-sabi, not wasabi, but wabi-sabi. It means an appreciation for the imperfect, the less than precision. The cowboy boots that you never polish because it's bad luck. That is completely wabi-sabi. Van Halen is that." - DLR 2002<br /><br />"Look! I can see their parachutes! They're ok..." - Tenshinhan, DragonBall Z

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 06:30 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts

Yuppers. They did that interview with Tommy Nast for the Best Of. It was a retrospective of VH's career and they had some funny shit to say about the good old days like when they played at some school or maybe it was a backyard party and some of the kids handcuffed a cop to a tree. Pretty funny shit. I'm almost positive I have a copy of it somewhere in my music collection.
    Diver Down NJ makes a good point with regards to Eddie being a bit of a control freak. Sammy did his thing for 5150, OU812 and FUCK so what the fuck was the problem after that? Ed says that after his sobriety he started paying more attention to the lyrics. Does that mean he was drunk 24/7 when they were recording and touring with the first 3 Hagar records? I love Ed but he makes me want to pull my hair out with frustration. The fact is that Roth and Sam weren't the only ones with issues. The problems within the band had as much to do with Ed's stubborness as anything Dave or Sam did. Ray the scumbag Danniels also didn't help matters. If Ed Leffler were still around Sam would have never left the band.

[ July 25, 2002, 05:45 PM: Message edited by: Mario VH ]
    "It's now officially 5150 time!!!"

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:50 AM
    Liked 1,482 Times in 904 Posts

I remember that interview like it was yesterday. I would love to get Dave, Sam, Gary, Eddie, Alex and Mike in a room together with an interviewer and finally put everything to rest. It won't happen but it would be a great if it did.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Right Now
    Last Online

01.30.06 @ 10:11 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Diver Down NJ:
    Eddie's not a drunk 23-year-old who is easy to manipulate....he's a forty-something year-old drunk who is impossible to deal with.

Eddie seemed to have plenty of ideas for Sammy's lyrics. I wonder how receptive Ed would've been had Sammy tried to suggest changes in Ed's guitar solos???
    Finally somebody who shares my thoughts. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    He's a great guitar player, but that doesn't make him reasonable at all.
    He should swallow his 'Dutch-Pride" (I am Duth, so I know what I'm talkin' about) and call both Sam & Dave!

PEACE! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    "You go there once, you'll be there twice" CABO WABO!

Massachusetts by way of the Great State of New Jersey
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:18 PM
    Liked 545 Times in 326 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Originally posted by Mario VH:
    Ed says that after his sobriety he started paying more attention to the lyrics. Does that mean he was drunk 24/7 when they were recording and touring with the first 3 Hagar records?
    Um, yeah, he was. According to interviews with him around the time of the FUCK album, he'd wake up in the morning and grab a beer and get a buzz on that he'd keep all day. He basically said he had a buzz on 24/7.

Look, when Ed got sober (or at least partially sober anyway, depending on who you believe), he got serious. For good or for bad, he did. Sammy and Dave are NOT very serious people. Sammy came out with some pretty good stuff here and there, but Ed wanted more. So be it. Can't blame him, but you can disagree if you want. I know during the Balance interviews he wasn't real thrilled with Amsterdam. Said he would've prefered some deeper lyrics than a drug song, but that's part of being in a band.

Maybe at some point Ed will come to the realization that fun can be good too, and that's what many people want. Me, personally, I prefer some of Sam's more serious lyrics, so I'm with Ed. I can't stand the silly shit.

Last Online

Donor

Originally posted by Raldo:
    I remember that interview like it was yesterday. I would love to get Dave, Sam, Gary, Eddie, Alex and Mike in a room together with an interviewer and finally put everything to rest. It won't happen but it would be a great if it did.
    Let's leave Gary out of it...

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 06:30 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts

Originally posted by Incredible Edible Dude:

Um, yeah, he was. According to interviews with him around the time of the FUCK album, he'd wake up in the morning and grab a beer and get a buzz on that he'd keep all day. He basically said he had a buzz on 24/7.

Look, when Ed got sober (or at least partially sober anyway, depending on who you believe), he got serious. For good or for bad, he did. Sammy and Dave are NOT very serious people. Sammy came out with some pretty good stuff here and there, but Ed wanted more. So be it. Can't blame him, but you can disagree if you want. I know during the Balance interviews he wasn't real thrilled with Amsterdam. Said he would've prefered some deeper lyrics than a drug song, but that's part of being in a band.

Maybe at some point Ed will come to the realization that fun can be good too, and that's what many people want. Me, personally, I prefer some of Sam's more serious lyrics, so I'm with Ed. I can't stand the silly shit.
    As much of a drinker as Ed was I find it hard to believe he was plastered 24/7 365. Dude would have found a way 6 feet under if that was the case. I read the same shit about Ed having a problem with the lyrics Sam had for Amsterdam and I agree in part that they weren't spectaclular or very deep but you can't write deep, meaningful lyrics for every song. Van Halen is suppose to be fun not War and fucken Peace. He brought in Gary for a more serious and mature Van Halen but when you look at a song like One I Want it's not all that fucken deep either-"pizza man just want a slice." I think Ed's biggest problem is trying to control everything. Sammy is a damn good muscian in his own right and if the results for the first 3 albums were good enough why start fucking around.
    "It's now officially 5150 time!!!"