Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Eruption
    Last Online

08.02.17 @ 01:39 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

.....I was wondering if anybody has pics of Mo OSTIN , TED TEMPLEMAN , RAY DANIELS ,etc......just curious...hear these names all my life....putting a face with a name..anybody have any ?
    ..In 1984 Van Halen Jumped Panama
    Topped Jimmy & Dropped Dead Legs
    ..Ill Wait in this House of Pain with the
    Girl Gone Bad while I am really Hot for Teacher..

..Think it was easy ?..you stare at an album
    Cover that long..

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

....alright..how bout some pics of the making of 5150 record or the fairwarning sessions

Cover that long..

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

.....this is the kind of stuff that could be re-leased...you know these guys have to have some kind of video footage or pics of recording albums .....it would sell millions !!!

Cover that long..

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

....a dlr & evh argument on tape....priceless

Cover that long..

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

VAN HALEN
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

05.06.13 @ 08:22 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ted Templeman - Biography
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A longtime house producer at Warner Bros. Records, Ted Templeman hit his greatest heights through his extended affiliations with the Doobie Brothers and Van Halen. Born October 24, 1944 in Santa Cruz, California, he began his musical career as a drummer in a variety of local bands; in time he joined the Tikis, who in 1966 evolved into Harpers Bizarre. Not only did Templeman assume vocal and guitar duties with the group, but he also arranged their tight harmonies, eventually even assisting producer Lenny Waronker in the studio. After Harpers disbanded in 1970, Waronker tapped Templeman to join the Warner production staff, where his first assignment was to helm the Doobie Brothers' eponymous 1971 debut LP. Though the album was a commercial failure, the group's follow-up, 1972's Toulouse Street, went platinum on the strength of the smash "Listen to the Music," and Templeman continued as the Doobies' producer throughout the remainder of their career, overseeing hits including "Takin' It to the Streets," "China Grove," "Rockin' Down the Highway" and "What a Fool Believes."
    Other artists who benefited from Templeman's strong, clear production aesthetic most notably included Van Morrison (the classic LPs Tupelo Honey, Saint Dominic's Preview and the live It's Too Late to Stop Now), Little Feat (Sailin' Shoes), Captain Beefheart (Clear Spot) and Montrose (their self-titled debut). In 1977, he discovered Van Halen in a Hollywood club, and a year later their hugely successful self-titled LP appeared; Templeman went on to helm all of Van Halen's albums through the classic 1984, in the process helping establish the quartet among the world's most popular rock bands. After David Lee Roth exited Van Halen, Templeman also produced his early solo LPs, as well as albums from Michael McDonald (If That's What It Takes), Aerosmith (Done with Mirrors) and Eric Clapton (Behind the Sun). His production pace began to slow down considerably during the late 1980s, with newer Warner signings like the Bulletboys and Honeymoon Suite failing to repeat the success of their predecessors; by the 1990s, Templeman's credit appeared only rarely. ~ Jason Ankeny, All Music Guide

Jason Ankeny

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

VAN HALEN
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

05.06.13 @ 08:22 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Interview with Alex Van Halen

DL: How do you and Ted get your drum sounds?

AVH: Well, the first thing is to get the drums to sound the way I want them from where I'm sitting. They have to sound right before you put up mics, a lot of people don't realize that. It's also important to bring the drums to the recording studio a good 12 hours before the session, and to make sure the temperature and humidity in the recording room don't change between load-in and recording. This way the drums can get aclamated to the studio environment, and they're more likely to hold their tuning.

I think a drum should resonate freely, not be taped up or damped; and it should have both of its heads on. If you discover a ring in the drum while you're recording, that means either that it wasn't tuned properly or the heads aren't right; I don't think you should go in with duct tape and tissue paper to reduce the ring.

DL: How do you tune the drums? Do you tune them to resonate with the key of the song you're doing?

AVH: No. Buddy Rich used to say you don't tune the drum, you tension the drum. A shell resonates at a specific tone and each drum is different - it depends on what wood it's made out of, how many ply it is...as you tighten the head the drum sings; if you go beyond that it sounds like a piece of popcorn, if you go below, it sounds like a thud. Once you find the sweet spot, that's it, that's where you want to be. Sometimes you hit a resonant frequency, it causes a sympathetic ring in the other drums, and if that happens, you can usually tune the drum just a little higher or lower and still be in the sweet spot. This only counts of course if the mics are far away enough from the head. So no, I don't tune to the song.

DL: What about miking?

AVH: In the early 70s, bands like Led Zeppelin and Cream - Bonham and Baker - wouldn't let anybody near the drum kit with a mic - I know this cause I've talked to them. They always had to be recorded from a distance and then the drummer would accomodate. But then a funny thing happeend and engineers wanted to be able to pan things and isolate them. Of course, if you put a mic a 1/4" from a drum head you're not going to get a drum sound, you're going to get a plastic, small "poof." So they developed these ambience boxes, but they don't sound anything like a real room to me, even the best of them. The distance of the mics, the phasing, all these things aren't properly represented in the box. The close miking makes things simple for in-house engineers - it didn't really matter who the drummer or the band was.

On "Van Halen I" [engineer] Don Landee asked me to take the front heads off the kick drums and I said "what's the matter with you, the drums are supposed to have two heads!" But he knew a lot more about recording than I did, so I accomodated him and his style of working at that point.

I kept hammering Don and I said, drums make sound omnidirectionally, and I understand it's difficult to catpure, but you gotta put the mics back a little bit. Of course when you do that you get a problem with phase cancellation and you have to work on it, and the drummer has a responsibility to keep the levels right between the cymbals and the kcik and the other drums. The point of close miking was to expedite the recording process, and I guess some poeole don't think drums are as important as drummers do. It's funny because the drums are the only acoustic insturment on our records - you change the drums and it changes the whole sound of the record. So now we record the drums from a distance.

Now on the toms and kick we typically use Sennheisers 421s up close, and a shotgun for the snare. And then room mics, of course. On the kick there's a mic inside, one on the front head, and one about 5 feet away. We don't use all the mics in the mixes. We don't layer the songs, we all play together on the rhythm tracks - it's always a crap shoot - so it's better to have some of these extra mcis on tape.

DL: How does the band approach arranging?

AVH: What makes the four of us different than most bands is that the rhythm section is not the bass and the drums, it is the guitar and the drums. I play with the guitar, and with what Ed is doing rhythmically - if you notice on all the records, it is really the drums and guitar that create the turbulance, the movement. Mike [Anthony, bassist] just carries the bottom, down there, providing the subsonic qualities. Because Ed's guitar is very fat, and what Ed plays is very intricate, there's a lot of stuff to play off of. Sometimes I accent with, sometimes against it. The rhythm that Ed does in two beats I may stretch out to two measures. And interestingly enough, he's also very rhythmically attuned - you know, he used to be a drummer and I used to be a guitarist until we switched. The way he fits in is as a third percussive element. everything's more intertwined, in a Bach fugue kind of way.

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

..that's great...thanks phoenix

Cover that long..

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

......it's funny how producers , managers have intertwine artist...ted templeman & michael Mcdonald & the van halen song ( i'll wait )....ted templeman also produced (montrose) ala sammy hagar....ray daniels managed ( extreme ) ala gary cherone.....hmmmmm who is the manager of ( mountain )....ed was spotted jamming with leslie west....who is their label...just a thought

Cover that long..

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

.....no pics...really ?

Cover that long..

Last Online

09.26.07 @ 02:38 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

That's Ted Templeman on the right. I'm not sure when the picture was taken though.
    "It's so damn hot... milk was a bad choice." --Ron Burgundy, Anchorman

Watch the hair!!!
    Favorite VH Album

VH/Fair Warning/5150/F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

R.Delight/Unchain./5150/C.Wabo
    Last Online

07.22.09 @ 11:11 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Mo Ostin

Mo Ostin with Joni Mitchell and some other guy

Quincy Jones and Mo Ostin

[ October 02, 2002, 01:16 PM: Message edited by: Delighted Romeo ]
    "Seems the old folks who come up short were the pretty little kids who didn't want it, no." - Van Halen (1979)

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall." - Confucius

"The possibility that we may fail in the struggle should not deter us from supporting a cause we believe to be just." - Abraham Lincoln

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Right Now
    Last Online

05.18.09 @ 11:19 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

I've got to find my shot of Ray Danniels in Hell.
    I'm one of those crazies on your block.

writing

Watch the hair!!!
    Favorite VH Album

VH/Fair Warning/5150/F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

R.Delight/Unchain./5150/C.Wabo
    Last Online

07.22.09 @ 11:11 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think this is an old pic of Ray Danniels.

It was posted on a Russian Web page dedicated to the band Rush. On this page are pics of Geddy Lee, Neil Peart and Alex Lifeson, as well as the one above. The caption for the above pic is in Russian but I used an online Russian-to-English translator to translate it to be "Permanent manager Rej Deniels." Anyway, here's a link to the page:

http://www.babylon5.ru/wlcross/Rush_b.htm

In addition, I found a Web page at ftp://ftp.feck.net providing FTP access to a Rush Music Video Archive. Located here is a large video clip (29 MBs) of a Canadian TV show back in 1979, where Danniels -- blond mullet and all -- is interviewed. The clip is the sixth one down and is entitled "8_79RayDaniels&SORreh.mpg". Just right-click it and download it to your hard drive to watch it. To me, the guy in this video clip and the guy in the pic above don't look like the same person, but judge for yourself.

Well, my work here is done, now that I've wasted an hour of my life searching for pics and video clips of Ray Danniels. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    "Seems the old folks who come up short were the pretty little kids who didn't want it, no." - Van Halen (1979)

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall." - Confucius

"The possibility that we may fail in the struggle should not deter us from supporting a cause we believe to be just." - Abraham Lincoln

Last Online

11.12.17 @ 09:04 PM
    Liked 121 Times in 68 Posts

Donor

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Delighted Romeo:
    [QB]I think this is an old pic of Ray Danniels.

Is that a huge ashtray full of cigs on that desk??
    No wonder he and Ed got along so well!!!

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

Delighted Romeo.......thanks for all that killer rush stuff and ray daniels interview....you are the walter cronkite of the links [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Cover that long..