Thread: recent musings

Favorite VH Album

All of em
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

01.26.17 @ 01:53 PM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

Over the last several months we have seen some interesting events unfold. Along with a smattering of explanation here and there in the company of some genuine disinformation the fan base has been left with a funny taste in thier collective mouths. I personally believe in the philosophy that when someone tells the truth there is usually less to remember. Speaking of memories, anyone remember that odd little tour last summer? You know, the one with that Hagar guy and that Roth dude. Remember when that little Polish guy with the Italian last name showed up for a few dates as the special guest? I know that more than a few of us found it interesting that either A: Sammy was extending an invitation through Mike for dialogue or B: Mike was extending his and and by extension the hands of the brothers for discussion. All the while Roth maintained a "No comment" position on the whole subject of Mike Anthony playing with Sammy on the " Sam and Dave Dog and Pony Show". Now that the tour has ended, We have Sammy Hagar saying in print( see Guitar World December 02) that " reuniting with Van halen is inevitable". Enter Roth with a new law suit that is sure to please. The suite as we all know surrounds alleged unpaid royalties that were renegotiated with Warner Bros. without DLR`s knowlege. What should grab your attention is the meager sum of money named as damages in the suit. $200,000.00 us is really nothing in the grand scheme of things. This is peanunts in when compared to the revenue that the back catalogue of material generates in realm of classic rock radio. remember each time a Van halen tune is played on the radio the publisher gets paid. This brings one to a conclusion that the suit may be a leverage tool for a much bigger payday than what has been released. The goal of any civil litigation is to never get in front of a judge or jury. The idea is to negotiate a settlement that is in the best interest of all parties unless the suit is designed to disable one party. Some time ago both sides of the Van halen / Roth camps admitted that they had in fact recorded new material. Edward admitted that there is about 2-3 albums worth written. As many of the historians out there will agree, Van halen music is usually re written and reworked several times before publishing and release. The available pre Warner internet snipets will prove the point along with things like " Donut City" aka "Good enough" or the electric piano version of the intro to "Right Now". Both of which are found on the "Wild Life" soundtrack years before final rework and release. By now Roth has most certainly abandoned the idea of rejoining Van halen. Assuming this we can speculate that the law suite may be an attempt to secure the publishing and intellectual property contained in the unreleased new recordings. This would be a huge payday for Roth at this point as well as go along way to preserving and protecting the work against future changes by VH and Hagar should they reunite. This would also guarantee a public hearing and comparison to anything that sounded remotely similar to the Roth versions of any songs reworked with Sammy. Additionally Hagar would most certainly expect that any music recorded with Roth that is uncontrolled by Van halen would be moot and not an option. This means that new material from scratch would have to be written. This would take another year or so from start to finish and we all know that we ain`t getting any younger and neither are they.
    Well there you have it. My thoughts on the legal corner that the band may have painted them selves into. All purty red, white, and black "Frankenstein" striped

Mook

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

01.15.14 @ 05:39 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

An interesting and well expressed opinion.

However, that was a tough slog to read. Paragraphs next time. Please?

http://www.wlu.ca/writing/handouts/paragraph2.pdf

bk
    A headless body in a topless bar...

Favorite VH Album

All of em, except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

07.16.12 @ 10:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Fuck it either way, I don't know if anyone has their marbles anymore what with Loony Sammy Hagar believing he was visited by aliens...Maybe he should join he Raelians...
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 11:10 AM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

Some good points ther dude.

But I don't see any reason that Dave would be entitled to ANYTHING Van Halen writes in the future with any singer.
    Sure some ideas that may have been tossed around 20 years ago or 2 years ago could somehow resurface as a new song. But Edward is the one that writes the music. If they did a song (and I'll use Sammy for example) and it had some of the same lyrics that Dave came up with during those "3 astonishing tunes" sessions, then yes Dave would be entitled to some sort of royalties. But the I'm not sure just exactly how it all works if it was never copyrighted to begin with.

The ending of JUMP was used for TOP OF THE WORLD. Does that mean that they owe Dave some cash for that song?

While I agree that the lawsuit will never see the walls of a courtroom, this is just about the last card Dave has in his hand. That will all but close the lid on he and Van Halen for good. And all he will have left is his legacy, and he is tarnishing it each and every year.

I don't see Sammy needing the cash and startig his own lawsuit against VH/WB. But he must not need the cash, so much for his shitty album sales then huh.

The only thing we can assume from Van Halen is that they still have no fucking clue as to what goes on in THEIR realities. They continue to mistreat their shrinking fan base by totally ignoring us, where they should be the ones kissing OUR asses for giving them the luxuries they now enjoy.

If this Bullshit continues from them much longer, they will never see another dime of MY hard earned money again. I like to think of it as being mistreated at a certain store over and over again, will you still shop there? FUCK NO!
    So this is my ultimatum to VH, make some sort of announcement by Valentine's Day or GO FUCK YOURSELVES! I am just about done with you.
    I am not asking for a new song right now, but just some sort of acknowledgement from Eddie and or Alex on what they plan for the future of Van Halen. Its that simple.

Have a nice day and Happy Birthday to ME. [img]graemlins/drunk.gif[/img]
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

The Next One!
    Favorite VH Song

The Newest Single off The Next One!
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by TheMightyCopenHalenII:
    Fuck it either way, I don't know if anyone has their marbles anymore what with Loony Sammy Hagar believing he was visited by aliens...Maybe he should join he Raelians...
    [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img] Now what the fuck did that post have anything to do with Sammy??? Always have someone trying to stir up shit....
    Van Halen....2003??? In television if your on hiatus this long it's means you have been cancelled and nobody told ya.Has VH Been Cancelled and no ones telling us?? C'mon Ed give us a break and give us an update...

Favorite VH Album

All of em, except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

07.16.12 @ 10:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by GMAN5150:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by TheMightyCopenHalenII:
    [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img] Now what the fuck did that post have anything to do with Sammy??? Always have someone trying to stir up shit....</font>[/QUOTE]Sure seemed like Sammy was quite a relevant part of it. Noone says I ain't allowed to express my opinion of the dude...Grow a pair
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Where are the mods? If I even use the word "roftard" in a post I get castigated, and yet comments like the above made by TheMightyCopenHalenII are ok? And he's got a style that's kinda familiar, wouldn't you say?

Come on guys, the pressure to be popular must be getting to you or something...

bk

[ January 05, 2003, 07:34 AM: Message edited by: badkaraoke ]

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:24 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm not a mod, but I am one that bitches about the name calling and I don't feel like reading that long sentence up there, so whoever said the shit bk is referring to stop that crap.

Personal attacks are ridiculous. We are all here for Van Halen not to kick each other with names.
    "Knowing is not enough, we must apply,willing is not enough, we must do" -Goethe

Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open.--Sir James Dewar, Scientist (1877-1925)

Always drink upstream from the herd...
    --Will Rogers

It is amazing how much some people can do with so little, however, what is even more amazing to me is how little some people can do with so much.
    --Somewhat me, mostly someone else, not sure who

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Originally posted by badkaraoke:
    Where are the mods?
    Sleeping. It's Sunday morning.

Stop squealing over nothing. There's been no scathing personal attacks in this thread. You can't seem to go two posts without saying "rothtard" in one context or another, which is why you get noticed. Grow up and stop derailing threads.

Favorite VH Album

All of em
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

01.26.17 @ 01:53 PM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

Sorry about not providing paragraphs. There were paragraphs when I started but somehow it all got squished.
    Roth is not a stupid guy. He does have a fair bit to loose if Van halen does make more records without him. Promoters across the country will tell you that his VH catalogue is far easier to sell that his solo efforts not withstanding the club value of perhaps the "Eat em and smile" crew. Since his regular paycheck of late comes from his Dave and some friends do your favorite Van halen set, one could assume that if the band got together and began touring this could threaten his drawing power. I can`t remember a time when both Van halen with either Hagar or Cherone, and The DLR bunch toured the same hemisphere at the same time. Although I could be mistaken.

One thing can be said for all three front men.
    Like em or not, they are all working and making records in one form or another.

peace

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by MikeL:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by badkaraoke:
    Where are the mods?
    Sleeping. It's Sunday morning.

Stop squealing over nothing. There's been no scathing personal attacks in this thread. You can't seem to go two posts without saying "rothtard" in one context or another, which is why you get noticed. Grow up and stop derailing threads.
    </font>[/QUOTE]And saying this silly word rothtard is bad because...? Frankly, I've made very few posts since September 2002 and some stupid made up word is hardly a personal attack.

Brett has made it clear that the petty Dave vs Sam sniping has to stop (and I agree by the way), not just "personal attacks" and yet this has got to be the 30th time I've seen the Sammy alien comment. Over and over. I think you need to get a grip and start enforcing the rules the way you say you want to enforce them. That's all.

If you were concerned about derailing threads you would have PM'd this. Don't worry about banning me. I just found the door, asshole.

bk

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 10:54 AM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

Originally posted by badkaraoke:
    Where are the mods?

bk
    I am taking some things to the Goodwill and making a dump run. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 11:10 AM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

Originally posted by OLO:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by badkaraoke:
    Where are the mods?

bk
    I am taking some things to the Goodwill and making a dump run. [img]smile.gif[/img] </font>[/QUOTE]I am showing some goodwill and taking a dump. [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img]
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.