Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Top Of The World
    Last Online

05.31.12 @ 04:45 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm hearing a lot of "Sammy nostalgia" as of late. But i'm not sure I understand it, Sammy really had nothing new to offer Van Halen. They were begining to turn into a "paint by numbers" band.

Not that I dis-like Sammy. 5150 is one of Van Halen's best albums. Now had Sammy been fired after 5150, or OU812, I would probably be leading the crusade to bring back Sammy, But let's be realistic; Balance is not one-tenth the album 5150 was.

Balance demonstrated VH was getting stale with Sammy. Now this is not Sammy's fault, it may have happend if Dave stayed as well, but Dave left before it went stale.

Before we cheer for Sammy's return, let's ask ourselves, do we want a sequel to Balance??? [img]graemlins/scared.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img]

[ December 04, 2002, 08:13 PM: Message edited by: Nerf Herder ]
    "The last singer was a singer, I am THE singer" - DLR

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

littleguitars
    Last Online

12.23.05 @ 12:07 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

Balance is not one tenth the album 5150 was??LOL [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img] Your on crack pal, wake up..
    "So what's your story? Any tread left on the tires? Or is it like throwing a hotdog down a hallway?" Stewie Griffin

Detroit Red Wings

GP 34 Record: 22-9-3

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie\'s cryin\', Dreams, Right now
    Last Online

02.27.07 @ 04:58 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think a song like 'Feelin' demonstrates that VH weren't getting too stale my friend......'Seventh Seal' is another......I would have loved to hear what they came up with next, especially if 'Humans Being' is any indication. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    I sense nostalgia for the BAND more so than just Sam. I would live to see 'em back with either Dave or Sammy.......and, yes I would love to see a sequel to Balance. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

04.28.16 @ 08:41 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Of course Balance wasn't comparable to 5150, it was a completely different album and had a completely different sound to it. Gone are the familiar synthesizers it was down right kickass rock and roll. So instead of everyone realizing that they immediately think "oh the band is going stale"

Eruption
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm no fan of the Hagar years, and I think Balance was pretty shitty even for a Van Hagar album, but I think Van Hagar went out with a bang on "Humans Being." That was a truly kick-ass tune.

Eruption
    Last Online

03.22.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 216 Times in 102 Posts

Well, Balance debuted at number 1 and sold like 4 over million copies so I think that version of the band had a lot of life left in them. There's no telling how long they could have gone on.

I also think it was a turning point in terms of their writing like 1984 was. Not as good as 1984, but still a turning point.
    Leave everything to me!-Powdered Toast Man

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

POUND CAKE
    Last Online

05.08.08 @ 02:22 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by littleguitars_99:
    Balance is not one tenth the album 5150 was??LOL [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img] Your on crack pal, wake up..
    I actually liked Balance better than 5150.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Balance was pretty strong and if Humans Beings was any indication of the direction, it sure would have beat VH3 and dont foget the unreleased song Sammy called there Stairway To Heaven.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1 Thru 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.17.09 @ 10:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think it's a shame that we have to argue over whether
    Sam's this or Dave's that. If Ed or Al gave 1/100th of a shit like we all do, we'd at least have something legitimate to talk about. But it seems that until VH has a decent PR guy, we just end up bickering with each other, and we are all the most loyal of fans, in this darkest hour of VH history.
    For the record, I have been following VH since the age of 12. Ed was the reason I picked up the guitar. I am now 35 and have taught over 1,000 kids how to play rock guitar ala The King. Dave was the greatest showman and I really would love to see him fronting again, But if They(Ed and Al) can't get along with Dave, then Sam is the obvious choice, to me.
    The whole reason he even left had to do with shitty management.(filling Ed & Al with bullshit, and trying to push Sam's limit, by making him do the twister soundtrack, while his wife was due to have a baby. They should have fired that dick from the beginning) Otherwise, Sammy would have never left, and we would have about 7 newer VH albums
    released by now. And I also think that Sam's new solo album is good, but would have kicked even more ass with Ed, Mikey, and Big Al
    Playing. Maybe we can get the remaining members of Atomic Punks to back up Sam's next CD and tour. Then you could close your eyes and pretend....what bullshit. I really feel for the fans. You guys are truly the Hardest of Hardcore, and I solute all of you on your enduring patience. Later.

[ December 04, 2002, 09:11 PM: Message edited by: Rebel67 ]

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:48 AM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

Many times these days I don't even read what is between the first post and my own. I'm gonna guess this conversation will get ugly and I'm sure I'll be right.

About the topic though... I don't think they had gone full course yet. I think there was another corner they could turn but I don't know if it would have been worth a flip. I'd have to guess it would though since ed has good taste. I believe sam was trying to get Al to work in some new types of beats and really drive them in a new direction. It would have been interesting.

Interesting topic. The hagar chronicle did seem to be pretty well rounded though...as if complete. I don't think they ever did take a hard edge turn though, which they always lacked after roth left imo.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

all
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i like balance and humans being too, the sound of eds guitar is awesome!!
    humans being is a wonderfull melodic rock-song, he never played before like that.

and the newest songs with dave, he played the guitar like never before, and the guitar sound is also awesome!
    "Who are you tryin' to get crazy with, ese? Don't you know I'm loco?" - Hansel, Zoolander. <br /><br />"You're talking loco and I like it!" - Hansel, Zoolander.<br /><br />"Sting. Sting would be another person who's a hero. The music he's created over the years, I don't really listen to it, but the fact that he's making it, I respect that."<br />Hansel, Zoolander

Super Duper Frontman YankeeRose's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:55 PM
    Liked 197 Times in 123 Posts

My favorite albums that I own are my Van Hagar albums. This topic belongs in VH opinions so I will move it there.
    Right Now you're reading my post!

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

2006 VHL Fantasy Hockey Champ!

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

The Next One!
    Favorite VH Song

The Newest Single off The Next One!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Balance is one of my favorite Van Halen w/Sammy Cd's.I think each Cd they were getter better and harder.Humans Being is a prime example.The song kicks ass from start to finish like early VH.I think they still had alot left.As for the songs they did with Roth on the greatest hits cd,I wasn't impressed (Sorry Roth only fans)."Me Wise Magic" wasn't bad but far from what they did with Roth in the early days."Cant Get This Stuff" I thought just sucked.I usually skip that song on the Cd when I listen to it.I think Dave and VH could have done better. But I'm for either returning just to get some new VH good or bad [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] I just want to see if they have anything left in the tank.
    Van Halen....2003??? In television if your on hiatus this long it's means you have been cancelled and nobody told ya.Has VH Been Cancelled and no ones telling us?? C'mon Ed give us a break and give us an update...