Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Unchained
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I keep hearing that RD totally screwed up Van Halen. However, I am not sure what he did that messed things up for the band. I have heard that he tried to give the band a more conservative, politically correct image. Can some of you give detailed information as to what RD did to mess things up?

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

who knows!
    ray danniels has managed rush for a billion years and everything seems to be going great there! thats a good question! i would like to know too!

------------------
    *I'm Outta Luck, Outta Love... Got A Photograph, Picture Of...* - Joe Elliot '83

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later, Atomic Pu
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

F.O.R.D. - You wanna take this one?

------------------
    RIGHT NOW....The original Van Halen is working together somewhere....

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

FORD is probably the best one to answer this. Basically, Sammy never wanted Ray as their manager, but it happened anyway after the death of Ed Leffler. At the time Ray was Alex's brother in law, and Ray and Sammy didn't see eye to eye on things. Sammy says that Ray was less than upfront about the Twister situation, which was a project that really drove the nail into the VH coffin at the time. Then Ray pushed Gary onto VH, when even Eddie initially said it wouldn't work. Anyway, that's just off the top of my head, so if FORD or someone else has it clearer, or in better detail, I'll look forward to reading their interpretation.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I think that's probably more gentle than F.O.R.D. would put it.

------------------

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/5150/Don\'t Tell Me
    Last Online

04.29.16 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm not so sure all the blame should go on Ray Daniels. I thinl that you need to go one step earlier.

I think that the unfortunate death of their manager Ed Leffler really started the downfall of the greatest band in rock and roll history.

Not longer after his death, Sammy recoreded the two new tunes for his Unboxed CD. This really pissed Edward Van Halen off. Ed was saying stuff like, 'Ed (Leffler) wan't even cold and Sammy was off doing a solo album.........at the time it's like we're without a singer.' You can find this interview in an issue of THE INSIDE.

I think Mr. Leffler was the glue that kept the band together. When Daniels was brought in, things got even worse with Sammy.

At their Balance opener in Pensacola Florida, Sammy said something like, 'our manager told me not to be cussing and saying things because this is going to be on MTV. He's telling a grown man this. So let me just say, Fuck, fuckx5......

Sammy obviously hated Daniels.

Leffler was Sammy's manager from his solo days. I am sure Leffler made Sammy feel as though Sammy Hagar was in control. With Ray Daniels, he was like Alex's Ex-Brother in Law, so Sammy lost his edge.

I think this whole situation points out how important these "managers" are to the bands. They can make or break a band

As far as the Rush thing is concerned, there are a lof of people here who think that Daniels has also ruined Rush. I am not a fan of Rush, but maybe someone else could shed some light on what he has or hasen't done to Rush.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, I'm the One, Dreams
    Last Online

02.14.17 @ 07:28 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

can't wait until FORD sinks his teeth into this one...

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

09.15.15 @ 08:40 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

lemme say that if ed leffler didn't pass away, or if ray wasn't the new manager, then the issue we have would not be happening today. of course it's blasphemous (whoa, big word, i tried to think of a better one that even I understand ) to be thinking along the lines of whether or not someone is dead, but it was ray who made sammy's stay in van halen no longer fun and it was ray who pushed gary into the band after ed wasn't really into that. obviously, gary's stay in vh was definitely one of the greater eras.
    that's my take on it, i hope i didn't offend anyone.
    FORD, any time now...

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I posted this a couple months ago but it fits here just as well......

Ray Danniels has been the manager of RUSH their entire career. They are the only major band he has not destroyed. By some odd coincidence, Alex Van Halen found himself married to Kelly Danniels, Ray's sister.
    In 1994, Van Hagar's manager Ed Leffler died of cancer. At the time, Sammy was going through the breakup of his first marriage and Eddie was beginning his road to sobriety. When Alex's brother in law stepped in and offered to manage the band, it was one less thing for all of them to worry about.

Almost instantly Danniels tried to take over the band. He found Eddie easy enough to manipulate, and naturally Alex and Mikey would go along with whatever Edward wanted. Sammy Hagar wasn't buying it. When Ray tried to tell Sammy what to wear and how to act on stage, Hagar's reply was "Fuck you Mr. Manager. YOU'RE the new guy around here. We do what we want". Danniels knew that he would never control the band as long as Sammy was in the picture. He began to manipulate feuds between Sammy and Eddie. This was made easier during the Balance tour when Eddie and Alex (as recovering alcoholics) were separated from Sammy and Mikey, who were still partying.

By the end of the Balance tour in early 1996, the band was exhausted. They were supposed to have some down time in which Eddie and Alex could deal with their (now infamous) physical problems. Sammy, meanwhile was to spend time in Hawaii with his new wife who was pregnant at the time. Out of nowhere, Danniels announces to thae band that he has signed them to do 2 songs for the soundtrack of the movie Twister. The band goes into the studio and cuts 2 songs, "Humans Being" and "Between Us Two". In the middle of the Twister sessions, Danniels announces to the group that they will be releasing a greatest hits CD and that "Between us Two" will be held over for that CD. By this time Kari Hagar is in her final trimester of pregnancy and Sammy is understandably pissed. (the recording of F.U.C.K. had been delayed for months while Valerie was pregnant with Wolfie, and nobody had questioned Ed's loyalty to the band). Hagar finishes the Twister project and flys to Hawaii to be with his wife.

Meanwhile by this time Extreme (also managed by Danniels) has split up after Nuno Bettencourt left for a solo career. It's now common knowledge that Nuno left because of Danniels, who had only managed Extreme for a short time. Ray has a thought... I got a singer here with no band, and I got another band with a singer I can't control.... Hmmmm... Why not??? Danniels flies Gary Cherone out to meet Eddie Van Halen in either late May or early June of 1996.

Meanwhile, WB records has notified David Lee Roth of the upcoming greatest hits package. Dave calls Eddie to ask how his material will be represented on the album. The 2 get together and talk in person, and by some miracle (so it would seem) end up planning to record together. So in mid june of 1996, Eddie was in the studio with both David Lee Roth AND Gary Cherone, and Sammy Hagar was still officially in the band!

On Father's Day (note the irony here) that all changed. Eddie calls Sammy at home in Hawaii early in the morning. Sammy says Eddie was drunk. Given the cowardly nature of the phone call, I really don't doubt it. Eddie tells Sammy "we have been working with Dave, and you might as well go back to being a solo artist" Naturally, he didn't mention anything about Gary Cherone.

Word of DAVE being in the studio spread fast. While the recording was never said to be more than 2 songs, the story grew and soon the entire country was shouting REUNION TOUR!! The MTV Awards appearance only solidified that story. At NO POINT between Sammy's firing and the MTV awards did Ray Danniels or Edward Van Halen EVER issue a statement saying that Van Halen was NOT planning a reunion, or that they were working with Gary Cherone.

We all know how that turned out. Danniels manipulated the whole fucking mess. Without him, there never would have been a VD III. It's arguable whether or not we would have heard "Me Wise Magic" in 1996, so maybe it wasn't ALL bad.

All I can say is..... Thank God it's over!!

------------------
    F.O.R.D. Country

Van HALEN is: Dave, Eddie, Mikey, Alex. Any questions?

Eat Us And Smile!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 03:59 PM
    Liked 555 Times in 251 Posts

man i think for the most part THAT is EXACTLY how it all went down!!!!

that little turd Danniels took advantage of the band and i would LOVE to see if HE'S wearing a cup!

is there a picture of this dude anywhere???
    we found Bitch Malloy, surely someone can come up with THIS guy's mug!

and someone find me a real good one too! I have Adobe Photoshop! we'll laugh our way all the way to the new single!

trust me!

------------------
    "Do you believe??
    Tell me you believe!"-Me Wise Magic

Eat us and Smile por favor~!

VH files--The truth IS out there..
    www.houseofhain.com

Last Online

12.03.17 @ 09:00 PM
    Liked 537 Times in 291 Posts

Premium Member
    Hey FORD. Do you keep this stuff handy or something? I swear that this is the same thing you posted word for word awhile back. No biggy dude, but I was just wondering.

I would say for the most part FORD summed it up again Markymark. Anyway that about wraps it up. Out.

A.D.

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks for the information. I find it incredible that Daniels went in and ruined the band after two years of management. What was he thinking? Honestly, it does not make any sense for a manager to go in and stir things up while the band was successful. If it aint broken, there is no need to fix the machine.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 11:35 PM
    Liked 1,390 Times in 763 Posts

Hi guys!
    I wanted to add something, because I've heard on many posts that RD destroyed bands. While it is true for most bands, I want to clarify something.
    Ray Danniels more than managed Rush. He almost created that band. He was only 16 years old when he started helping them out and finding gigs for them. He also financed their first record. He has been largely responsible for Rush's succesful carreer.
    I've met RD briefly, he's quite bossy, and big blonde dude.
    I agree his stay with VH has been less than satisfying (euphemism).
    Btw,FORD, on the Balance tour, Alex and Eddie were not in the same limo as Mike and Sammy becoz they smoke, whereas the others don't. Alex quit drinking in 1985.
    Later.

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

the new ones...
    Last Online

06.01.16 @ 12:55 PM
    Liked 25 Times in 9 Posts

"my manager came to me, right before the show, and he has the balls to say...'Sammy, we're doin MTV live, so don't say FUCK'... i'm a grown man, you don't tell me some shit like that... i'll come out and go... Fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck!!!"

sammy... 1995

"we were a band without a man, he was a man without a band... why shouldn't we try???"

eddie... 1998

these quotes show how sammy hated RD, and how eddie wasn't sure about having gary on the band, it's easy to see it was not his decision.

------------------
    maybe i'm crazy,
    or just too high...

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thank you F.O.R.D. - I knew ya would do it justice!

------------------