All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad, Hang 'em High
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 10:56 AM
    Liked 2,848 Times in 1,230 Posts

Premium Member
    A mumbling rant on Van Halen

Iíve been posting on this site throughout the summer and spend most of my time talking to some of the others in the guitar forum. I rarely post outside of that forum into the main because I hadnít really had anything substantive to say regarding my opinions on why Van Halen is or isnít making music, who the singer should be and why we fans should be upset about whatever decision they do or do not make. The reason for this is because I believe that the issues regarding Van Halen right now are very deep and involve some people who are all very troubled. I believe wholeheartedly that the views, ďEddie hates the fans,Ē ďDave is an a-hole,Ē ďSammy is dumbass,Ē or ďAlex is God knows what,Ē donít even remotely explain what is happening with our favorite band. This is a very complex issue regarding all the individuals involved, so I thus believe that none of these statements alone are true.

(Disclaimer, I do not have any inside information or any other artificial sources. I know no more than anyone else here and anything that I quote or refer to in this rant can be found on the web or in old magazines.)

Point #1 Ė First and foremost, Eddie Van Halen is an alcoholic. I have no idea how personally this touches some of us at the Links whether it be your brother, father, cousin, aunt, dog or yourself. I have been very close to two alcoholics in my life. I know the kind of baggage that comes along with dealing with someone who has wrecked themselves with this mess. But take it from me, if Eddie Van Halen is sitting in his room without a care in the world about the band it should be anything that you take personally. If Eddie is having a hard enough time caring about Van Halen the person, do you really think that he can handle the thoughts about forming Van Halen the band again? Whether the man is still drinking or not is not something that I care to speculate on, but I will say that even in the best case scenario Eddie is going to be put through an emotional ringer as he faces the fact he has been swallowing emotions down his throat with a chaser of Jack Daniels (actually, thatís Mikeís drink, isnít it?). Van Halen the band will have absolutely NO sustenance whatsoever unless Eddie can get himself under control.

Point #2 Ė Eddie Van Halen had cancer. I know that is seems like everyone has cancer these days and the announcement can ring hollow, but EVERYONE who has had to face it in some way or another comes to the understanding that it is something that can or eventual will KILL them. I donít think this was easy for him at all knowing that he has a challenging foe in the bottle, let alone something that could take his life (more immediately anyways). How on earth can you otherwise explain the self-destructive behavior (ie smoking cigarettes at the golf tournament after is ďclean bill of health from the doctors)? Eddie has some serious emotional and physical issues to deal with before he can be counted on to front one of the largest rock bands in the world again.

At best, people have described Eddie as emotionally fragile. I really do hope that Eddie gets the courage to kick both these situations straight in the nuts because I really do think that Eddie for all his faults is also a great person. The man that stands up on stage with that sheepish grin from ear to ear is no fake; he just needs to turn things around.

Point #3 Ė David Lee Roth is NOT a good person for him to be around as of this moment. Because of chicks? No. Because of Drugs? No. Because of his lost voice? NO! Throw all the clichťs out regarding this debate. Dave is not a good person to be around because Eddie doesnít need to have someone in his life, right now who is incapable of putting the bullshit routine away for a minute. Sarcasm personally makes me laugh. Honestly, I would love to hang out with Dave. I would love to verbally jab with Dave all day. But my emotions also arenít made of glass from years of drinking. So this is nothing personal on Dave, it is just that my analysis of the situation says that those two should probably stand apart for a while until Eddie can deal with his issues. Dave never really means what he says, but there is no way that Eddie can deal with Dave on top of all the other things right now. Eventually, I HOPE, that Dave and Eddie can play together again. It just isnít going to happen while Eddie can barely deal with handling himself.

Point #4 Ė Eddie and Sammy Hagar need to reconcile with each other. Iím not talking about getting Van Hagar back together. Iím talking about two guys that truly were friends. They need to understand that both did some pretty messed up things and they need to bury the hatchet. If that means getting into a room and screaming at each other for hours, fine. But a word to Sammy; stop threatening to fight everyone that puts you in a bad position. From my perspective, you (Sammy) most times are able to claim the moral high ground and it would be much smarter of you to curb your temper. I think Sammy definitely got screwed in the 96 fiasco, but I think he should come to realize that Eddie was manipulated by a complete fucking demon (Ray Daniels) who sometime spoke through his brother Alex (Iíll come to Alex in a moment). Dave calls Eddie, Van Heineken because he doesnít know better and never will. You on the other hand do! If Eddie and Sammy reconcile and make music again, I will surely be glad, but it isnít essential.

Point #5 Ė Alex Van Halen. Christ, what to say about this one. This is an enigma that could send Sherlock Holmes into a circular reasoning fit. Iíve come to the conclusion that Alex just really isnít that bright of a person. I donít think heís an asshole, I donít think that he was malicious in the í96 fiasco. I just think that his reasoning and critical thinking skills are a little rough around the edges. A broke millionaire? That is someone that just doesnít have any common sense. In reading into the Ray Danniels situation, I understand now that once Alex had his mind set, there was no turning back. I think it comes from insecurity regarding his intelligence, but since Iím not Freud my psychoanalysis is really worth shit. Regardless, I think if Eddie had his head thinking straight in 96, he would have convinced Alex that Danniels was a complete fucking devil and that not only should they not hire him, the should burn him at the stake so that any other unfortunate sap would be blindsided somewhere else along the way. But, as we know, Eddie really wasnít really thinking and feeling correctly at the time and Alex had no one to check himself on.

Point #6 Ė is more of a question, but also my strongest point personally. Is Van Halen over as we know it? I think it is. We all fault Eddie for what most of us love about him in the first place. And that is the fact that he is a creative MUSICAL genius. Sammy even himself said that Van Halen was going to need to reinvent themselves if they were to survive in the mainstream. Eddie will never do this as a nostalgia act. I love Me Wise Magic and Canít Get This Stuff No More, but I donít want an album full of it. I say this because I donít think it is Eddieís best anymore. I think Eddie could write those songs underwater holding his breath (and we all know the lung capacity of a 45 year chain smoker). Unless something new and fresh is possible, I donít want Sam, Dave, Gary, Elvis, Marvin Gaye, James Brown or any other singer to come by. I want Eddie to lock himself away and do what he does best and that is to reinvent himself. Remember, Eddie always said that playing music was like falling down the stairs and landing on his feet. Writing songs from the early days would be sitting on the porch swing with a glass of lemonade in his hand. I truly hope that I get to hear Eddie throwing himself down the stairs somersaulting into a huge flying leap and onto both feet again. Regardless if you are a Dave or Sammy fan, you must come to the conclusion that this is the ONLY way that you could ever regain that old vibe that made you want to go break something as VH 1 cranked up over your speakers. It is almost complete contingent on Eddie being freed to have this reckless abandonment again. I do realize that may of you will disagree with this thought and I think that it will pretty much boil down to philosophical differences, which are neither, right or wrong.

This is far from my complete thoughts on the situation, but I will wrap up with this conclusion. First, Eddie is completely responsible for his own situation right now. Iím not apologizing for was he has done to himself, I am just asking us to look at the situation and realize that Iím sure he has no idea how to handle himself, let alone his fan base. Iím sure that he has lost a lot of fans because of it, but I am not one of them. But I do hope and pray that he gets his shit together.

Second, there really arenít any villains here, except for that worm Ray Danniels. I donít think that anyone in Van Halen has ever set out to destroy the other. They were just some punks that just needed to learn how to conduct themselves in working relationships and relationships with their friendsÖ.

Lastly, even if Van Halen never came back and played another note, I would still come to the Links to bullshit with you all about how when ďRunning With the DevilĒ plays on my speakers, the woofers buzz, or how I can hardly keep from laughing myself with Dave and Mike almost lose it in the chorus to ďBottoms Up.Ē We have 20 years worth of stories to rant and rave about and so what if we sound like a couple of old men talking about W.W.II. I for one will still be here yappiní away.

P.S. Yes, the last few sentences are somewhat of a shameless plug pointed to Brett about how glad I am that he has reopened for business. I am beginning to think that the Links is turning into Cheers. Sam don't sell the bar again!!! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 10:42 PM
    Liked 983 Times in 396 Posts

start listening to the albums between 1986 and 1995 because sam is coming back

JMJ
    "you can't change JMJ, it's legendary"- Brett Norton 9/24/07

"It's the "JMJ" everyone had grown to love, man! Time to blow the roof off this place!"
    -Zachenfoot 2/23/10

"The links just look a little better with JMJ. Always has, always will." -Hurricane Halen 2/24/10

"I'm doin' the victory dance. Told ya I'd be back. Tell me ya missed me. Say it like ya mean it" - Blood and Fire. =VH= 2012. Welcome back boys :headband:

"I don't give a flying fuck about Motley Crue. I give about a half a fuck about Rush. I like Van Halen and don't give a flying fuck how many tickets they all sell. Any questions?"- jimmyw

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:48 AM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

Fantastic post fable. I agree with a lot of what you said. It's easy to rake the surface of it all over the coals again and again, but once in a while someone takes the time to hit the roots of the van halen "issue".

One thing though, you are certainly wrong about one thing. James Brown would be THE best thing in the world for Van Halen right now. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Excellent post. If only the alcoholic in the story could get a moment of clarity like the one [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] that you just set forth, we'd all be down at the record store right now.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later, Atomic Pu
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Fable, that was an amazing post! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Get outta the guitar forum more often!!!! [img]graemlins/yell.gif[/img]

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away, 5150, Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm with Fable on this. I think we (meaning VH fans) are all a little selfish when it comes to the band members. We want them to play damnit (and some even seem to feel that VH OWES us, which I think is bs). EVH and everyone else involved with VH need to take care of themselves and work out whatever ain't quite right in their lives. After all, as much as we think of them as musicians and entertainers, they are people like you and me who have to deal with their own flaws and dramas first and foremost.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Right Now
    Last Online

01.30.06 @ 10:11 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Very Very Good Post!!!! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

PEACE! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    "You go there once, you'll be there twice" CABO WABO!

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

FIRST 6
    Favorite VH Song

I REFUSE TO PICK JUST ONE!
    Last Online

03.09.12 @ 01:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Most everything you say is somewhat true and a good post, but Hagar with his self promoting Tequila needs to be around Eddie or just reconcile? B.S.!
    Hagar needs to stay away and do his own thing.
    If Eddie can't deal with Roth then Van Halen needs to retire!
    Eddie can go solo when he get's it together.
    There is,was, and will only be 1 Van Halen and that is with DAVID LEE ROTH!
    Don't bother bashing back, I will not look at this post again.
    KERRY WHEELER

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

MCMLXXXIV
    Favorite VH Song

Too Many To List
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

All hail the manifesto brothers! [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]

And they're both from No Cal, no less! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/scared.gif[/img]

Hey, didn't Ted mail his payloads from Bay Area locales? [img]graemlins/scared.gif[/img]

The Real Deal
    <a href="http://www.the-real-deal.com/index.htm" target="_blank">The Real Deal</a> does old VH better than any other band in the SF Bay Area. Hearing is believing...

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

The Full Bug
    Last Online

10.12.15 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts

GREAT GREAT POST! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

While it's fun to debate and poke fun, when you get to the human side of Van Halen, I don't think any of us would want any of them to do something that would endanger their health and well-being. We can always put on a Van Halen album and watch an old concert on the VCR, but the saddest thing would be to have those things and know that Edward isn't around somewhere playing even if it's only golf. He is a genuine good person and I keep him in my prayers hoping that as he said at the golf tournament, he is focusing on his health and his son, and kicking the habit. A large part of a person's success in breaking an addiction is to remove yourself from those individuals and situations that stimulate the need and desire. If this means that we never see Edward Van Halen in the same musical forum as in the past, that's fine with me because I'd rather know that he's happy and healthy than killing himself in the name of rock-n-roll.
    Could this be magic?

Favorite VH Album

The Classic 6 Pack
    Favorite VH Song

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

11.04.17 @ 06:01 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 65 Posts

Impressive post! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Obviously Reckless Fable knows enough about real life to be very very dangerous!! There's enough in that single post to fill a lifetime... hate to say it but that's almost too much reality for a VH Bboard...
    Woke up this mornin, got Blue Moon in your eyes...
    http://www.myretrolounge.com

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

That's a friggin' book! It's also an epiphany.

But, ultimately, it falls on deaf ears as none of the people it surrounds will ever hear about it. Sucks so bad it makes me want to [img]graemlins/yell.gif[/img]
    "Just once I'd like to do the right thing and not get punished for it."

Eruption
    Last Online

08.02.17 @ 01:39 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

....this kills me to say it but...ed has to break out of vh for awhile..i think it would help him break the old habits faster...he needs to be creative...all he's energy into his own thing...then when he get's himself together vh will rise again
    ..In 1984 Van Halen Jumped Panama
    Topped Jimmy & Dropped Dead Legs
    ..Ill Wait in this House of Pain with the
    Girl Gone Bad while I am really Hot for Teacher..

..Think it was easy ?..you stare at an album
    Cover that long..

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Ice Cream Man
    Last Online

02.01.07 @ 05:44 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

It is hard to be selfless when we all crave new VH music, but this thread is totally right. They've all got some personal problems that need to be worked out, especially Eddie, before we'll hear new music. Here's hoping they do. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

All of 'em
    Favorite VH Song

All of 'em
    Last Online

07.17.17 @ 12:03 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by Zahzoo:
    Impressive post! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Obviously Reckless Fable knows enough about real life to be very very dangerous!! There's enough in that single post to fill a lifetime... hate to say it but that's almost too much reality for a VH Bboard...
    That's what I was thinking. I believe that deep down everybody can come to the conclusion that there are some really bad problems in the life in EVH. It's not hard to see, but the majority of us out here tend to bypass that and just say, "Just make music. Having friction in a band is good, it makes better music and competition" when in reality it can go much deeper than that.

But Van Halen isn't reality sometimes, is it? It's striped guitars, flying Eddies, Jack Daniels bass guitars, toe touching splits from the drum platform, high squeals, sex, drugs, and rock and roll, right?

Maybe reality has finally caught up to the band.

[ September 25, 2002, 08:04 AM: Message edited by: ebmm_axis ]
    You can lead a horse to water, but that still won't make him a duck!